How much to tip baggage handlers at cruise terminal?

Sandy R

Quote by custompcsys "If anyone has ever been an exhibitor at a conference or exposition in a large exhibition hall, its a very similar situation with carrying cargo into the exhibition hall or doing anything electrical inside the hall. Because there are union workers involved, you are not, under any circumstances, allowed to carry anything into the hall on your own, or even so much as plug a power strip into an outlet. Cargo must be left at the loading dock for it to be delivered to your booth, no matter how small, and a union electrician has to be called even just to plug in a power strip....all at a charge of course. Things get very ugly if you try and get around the rules and do it yourself"

As a now retired Convention Director for a major (US) medical association, I know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, it's the way of the world, I guess.

For the sake of this discussion, I personally tip and most likely over tip. So far, my luggage has arrived in a timely manner and in good condition. Coincidence...HUMMMM?

Elf

As a wife of a longeshoreman and an avid cruiser, I can tell you that yes, longshoremen are paid well, but if they take a porter job, they are only paid for hours worked. For example, if it only takes 4 hours to load the ship, they are only paid for half a day. Yes, some stay until the ship sails, but a lot are sent home as the crowds go down. Therefore, your tips are always appreciated. It makes me laugh that people spend hundreds of dollars (most of the time more) on a cruise, and they will not tip someone $5? Just my thoughts. :)

I don't think that most people have an opposition to tipping someone for a service, but I know that I personally have a problem with feeling "threatened" into tipping. You shouldn't have to tip someone so they don't mess with/break/lose your things, and if someone is moving my bag the 6 feet I could have done it, I don't know why that should cost me $5. I don't have an issue tipping $1 or $2 for that although, again, I should be able to do it myself if I want to.

To me it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of feeling scared not to tip. I think that's really wrong.

I agree! It's VACATION. People that think nothing of spending $8 on a cocktail, who knows how much in the one arm bandits have to think that $1 or $2 a bag are being taken advantage of. It's all part of the excitment and anticipation of a great cruise.

I think we would all agree...... if it wasn't extorted from me. There can be no other word for it when you get confronted by the biggest guy in the crew with his hand out in essence demanding a tip.

I tip and tip well. But I will be in appreciation and not from fear.

As a wife of a longeshoreman and an avid cruiser, I can tell you that yes, longshoremen are paid well, but if they take a porter job, they are only paid for hours worked. For example, if it only takes 4 hours to load the ship, they are only paid for half a day. Yes, some stay until the ship sails, but a lot are sent home as the crowds go down. Therefore, your tips are always appreciated. It makes me laugh that people spend hundreds of dollars (most of the time more) on a cruise, and they will not tip someone $5? Just my thoughts. :)

So for the "hours worked" you confirm they are paid their union scale. So tell us all.... don't they cherish those "porter" jobs because they maximize their pay with those tips.

I bet they make more in those 4hrs than they would in a regular 8hr day. Arithmetic tells me so. With 2600 passengers at 2 bags each at $1 average a bag that is over $5,000 in tips for them to split.

One of the most "desired" jobs in Vegas is the taxi door opener at front door of those strip hotels. Those guys make serious 6 figure incomes opening taxi doors.

I agree! It's VACATION. People that think nothing of spending $8 on a cocktail, who knows how much in the one arm bandits have to think that $1 or $2 a bag are being taken advantage of. It's all part of the excitment and anticipation of a great cruise.

People voluntarily buy drinks and gamble. What choice is there in extortion?

I agree that you shouldn't be forced into giving a tip. I am saying that if someone moves your bags, then tip them and go on and enjoy your cruise. Yes, there are a few "bad seeds" at the ports, but most of them are just trying to do their jobs. Don't hold a grudge against all the longshoremen because you had a bad experience in the past, or have read reviews on here.

Last January, we traveled with another couple. When we got to the pier, and handed over our luggage, Our friends were in a hurry and didn't tip, whereas I gave him $5. Our luggage is distinctly marked, so no question about which luggage belongs to whom! Our luggage was in our room before dinner, and they didn't get all of theirs until morning the next day. The bags were all loaded on the same cart and we were in side by side rooms. While it's unfortunate that we feel the need to tip ahead for good service, I'm not ready to be an army of one to risk loss or damage. :(

For 2 heavy bags I'd thank the porter profusely for his help and give him at least $5. I'd also keep my eye on the bags until they were on the cart ... just to be sure.

Too may stories about luggage arriving/not arriving/ damaged/fallen off the basket and fell in the water, etc. Why take a chance to save a dollar?

Last cruise we checked only 1 bag and still gave $5.

I agree that you shouldn't be forced into giving a tip. I am saying that if someone moves your bags, then tip them and go on and enjoy your cruise. Yes, there are a few "bad seeds" at the ports, but most of them are just trying to do their jobs. Don't hold a grudge against all the longshoremen because you had a bad experience in the past, or have read reviews on here.

Yes, jobs they are already being well paid for. So, the demand, outstretched hands, missing luggage, damaged luggage is totally wrong. Money is not handed over gladly or because of a job over and above, but because of fear that you may end up cruising with no clothes. There are more than a "few bad seeds". That's not what this is about. It's about the blatant demand, comments, etc. that have been experienced by a lot of cruisers.

The fact also is that most ports have signs saying tipping isn't required or do not tip or something along those lines, yet it is demanded/expected. That to me is not doing their jobs in the manner that would even warrant a tip. You get paid a salary to do a job, then do it, but don't expect something on top of it. Think about it, 3000 cruisers, approximately 2 bags/person (some have a lot more). At $1 per bag, that is $6,000 in tips split between what, 10 or so people. Pretty good haul for a few hours of work on top of the probably $15-25/hour these guys already make. How is that in any way appropriate? This isn't about grudges on the passengers part, but we do see it on the luggage handlers parts when bags are damaged, lost, etc.

......Pretty good haul for a few hours of work on top of the probably $15-25/hour these guys already make.

This I found out of the NY Times which was published in Nov 2002. As you can see it is not uncommon for them to make 100K plus 5 years ago. My quess is they are probably pushing towards $40 a hour now.

Nooooooo. I am not saying they don't deserve it.... just putting the facts on the table.

"The wage increases in the package are more modest than the pension increases. The longshoremen's basic wage, $27.50 an hour, will rise by $3 an hour, or almost 11 percent, over six years. With premiums, night differentials and overtime added, longshoremen now earn nearly $100,000 a year on average."

Last January, we traveled with another couple. When we got to the pier, and handed over our luggage, Our friends were in a hurry and didn't tip, whereas I gave him $5. Our luggage is distinctly marked, so no question about which luggage belongs to whom! Our luggage was in our room before dinner, and they didn't get all of theirs until morning the next day. The bags were all loaded on the same cart and we were in side by side rooms. While it's unfortunate that we feel the need to tip ahead for good service, I'm not ready to be an army of one to risk loss or damage. :(

What am I missing??? So you tipped the porter, they didn't....the ship sailed and all the luggage is on the ship. Did the porter put a note on your friend's luggage not to deliver to the cabin until the next day??

Speaking of extortion tips: DH was returning from a Princess excursion in the eastern Caribbean. Seas had become unexpectedly rough, and when he tried to jump from the excursion boat to the dock, he missed and fell in. A large black arm appeared from nowhere and lifted him effortlessly out of the water. DH thanked the man, but was astonished to hear "OK, man. You give me 5 dollars, now. Yes?" The huge man followed him, demanding payment for his "act of kindness".:(

Sorry to say...... Looks like the extortion continues to work. Tipping should be for service rendered...... not for fear of retaliation.

If my bag got trashed (like the poster who's was sliced with a boxcutter)..... Princess would know and I would expect them to make it good.

But then.... I personnally make sure mine get into the bin (sometimes putting them in myself, and then I watch others get loaded on top before I leave.

This couldn't be anymore off topic but if you don't mind, how the heck do I quote more than one person in a reply ?

Sorry all :o !!!

I don't think most of us mind paying the casual or day labourers who help with the luggage carts. The people who are working the heavy equipment, though, have to be considered skill labor and are getting the wages and benefits they have negotiated. You know, the "living wage" and all that stuff that have already been paid for by each and every passenger in their port charges. It's nothing but extortion to demand that passengers pay even more for a service they've already purchased.

And unless your going to watch the bin until they finish filling it and forklift it onto the ship, you're going to have to leave it sometime while its on the dock.

I've heard way way way too many horror stories about bags lost and broken into at Princess docks and Princess hotels. I follow Ronald Reagan's rule as much as possible - "Trust but Verify"

That means where possible I never take my eye off my bags until I see them loaded into the big metal carts. When the bags arrive at the hotel I get them directly from the bus and take them myself to the room. If the room's not ready I stay with my bags.

Princess transfer fees already include tips. End of discussion on that topic for me.

As a wife of a longeshoreman and an avid cruiser, I can tell you that yes, longshoremen are paid well, but if they take a porter job, they are only paid for hours worked.

Oh, no! Now I've heard everything! Complaining that your well-paid husband will only get paid for the hours worked (don't forget to figure in all the tips [untaxed?] voluntarily given by hundreds of happy cruisers) if he takes a porter job. The inhumanity of it all!

So, by implication, longshoremen who do not take a porter job get paid for hours over and above the hours they work. How do I get me one of them jobs?

I can not believe how much everyone is complaining about tipping. When you go to a restaurant, you tip a server who is already paid a salary. What is the difference? Are people really that cheap that they won't spend the $1-$2 a bag?

BTW, longshoremen who do not take porter jobs are paid for their 8-10 hours that they work. Not "over and above"

Oh, no! Now I've heard everything! Complaining that your well-paid husband will only get paid for the hours worked (don't forget to figure in all the tips [untaxed?] voluntarily given by hundreds of happy cruisers) if he takes a porter job. The inhumanity of it all!

So, by implication, longshoremen who do not take a porter job get paid for hours over and above the hours they work. How do I get me one of them jobs?

This couldn't be anymore off topic but if you don't mind, how the heck do I quote more than one person in a reply ?

Sorry all :o !!!

After clicking the “quote” button, it gives you the quote in the reply screen. I copy this, go back, click the “quote” button in the next quote I want to use, paste the first quote and then type my reply. Usually do all this in Word so I can spell check, but not always.

I travel frequently out of San Pedro. I always tip. The porters are always polite and friendly. Of some 20+ trips out of the port, never any incident. They have always been helpful and courteous. So, what's another $5-10 to add to your trip? I appreciate their help and they appreciate the gratitude. This also goes when you return. These are the same folks who help you when you debark. Any difference upon leaving the ship? I always tip more and they are more than happy to accomodate.

After clicking the “quote” button, it gives you the quote in the reply screen. I copy this, go back, click the “quote” button in the next quote I want to use, paste the first quote and then type my reply. Usually do all this in Word so I can spell check, but not always.

Thanks for the info !!! But I think there is an easier way on here also the is a spell check.

I can not believe how much everyone is complaining about tipping. When you go to a restaurant, you tip a server who is already paid a salary. What is the difference? Are people really that cheap that they won't spend the $1-$2 a bag?

BTW, longshoremen who do not take porter jobs are paid for their 8-10 hours that they work. Not "over and above"

Have you ever been a waiter/waitress? Obviously not. They do not even make minimum wage and tips are expected to make up that gap. How is that even remotely similar? They also do not stand there with outstretched hands or dump your food on the floor if you don't pay them for delivering it to the table. Your comparison makes no sense.

Also, I don't know anyone who tips well no matter what level of service they receive. Waitstaff do not take your order, grab a tip and leave, never to be seen again. They return to your table multiple times, bring your food, refill your drinks, clear the table, etc all for a very low wage with no guarantee they are going to get any more. Some people don't tip in restaurants for the same belief you have, that they make a salary anyway. No, not a salary, but a very low hourly wage, plus tips are split with the entire kitchen staff and the hostess all who provide a service of more that you voluntarily pay for.

Your issue has to do with this affecting your bottom line since your husband is a longshoreman. Sorry, but what they are doing is extortion and the fact that tips are basically demanded by people who control your belongings temporarily.

Seriously I think you need to lighten up. Try enjoying life and not worry about how longshoremen are trying to "extort" money from you.

Have you ever been a waiter/waitress? Obviously not. They do not even make minimum wage and tips are expected to make up that gap. How is that even remotely similar? They also do not stand there with outstretched hands or dump your food on the floor if you don't pay them for delivering it to the table. Your comparison makes no sense.

Also, I don't know anyone who tips well no matter what level of service they receive. Waitstaff do not take your order, grab a tip and leave, never to be seen again. They return to your table multiple times, bring your food, refill your drinks, clear the table, etc all for a very low wage with no guarantee they are going to get any more. Some people don't tip in restaurants for the same belief you have, that they make a salary anyway. No, not a salary, but a very low hourly wage, plus tips are split with the entire kitchen staff and the hostess all who provide a service of more that you voluntarily pay for.

Your issue has to do with this affecting your bottom line since your husband is a longshoreman. Sorry, but what they are doing is extortion and the fact that tips are basically demanded by people who control your belongings temporarily.

Archived