Lamanai & Riverboat Tour

nasvhillecruise

I'm thinking of doing this tour with DH & DS (5). Is this a long excursion to be booked through cruiseline or would it be ok to book with an independent operator? What tour guides have people used? This is a 1st cruise, but after reading this board for the past few months, I'm planning on booking most excursions independently.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of doing this tour with DH & DS (5). Is this a long excursion to be booked through cruiseline or would it be ok to book with an independent operator? What tour guides have people used? This is a 1st cruise, but after reading this board for the past few months, I'm planning on booking most excursions independently.

We use Belize Cruise Excursions and were very happy. They were very attentive to our needs and time. We were the only ones on the tour and the only ones at Lamanai - what a special treat. The cruise ship tours were coming down the New River as we were heading back.

If you look at my previous posts you can see tips that I gained from out experience. Just remember - the ship will leave without you so you need to be willing to take that risk and plan accordingly.

Normally I would advocate using an independent tour operator rather than the a cruiseship tour HOWEVER:

1. Lamanai is pretty much an all-day excursion

2. Belize is a tender port

This means not only do you have to be back at the port before the SHIP's departure BUT also before the last tender departs.

Also we found that the price difference between a ship's tour and a private tour was really pretty minimal (about $10 pp when we went).

We decided that our piece of mind was worth $10.

If you go with s ship's tour and you are delayed, they will have a tender waiting for you and the ship will wait. If you are delayed on a private tour and miss the last scheduled tender - tough luck.

When we did out tour, we returned on time to catch the 2nd last tender - so being delayed is a VERY real possibility.

BTW Lamanai is wonderful!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'd originally planned on doing the independent tour only because the ship's excursion required a child to be 6 or older. Reading the ship's excursion description again, there was no age requirement - either all of the tours I've been reading about are merging together or I'm just getting old & forgetful :D . Anyway, I'm DEFINITELY going to stick with the ship's excursion since my son can go. Although missing the ship would be an added adventure . . .

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see this excursion ( Lamanai ) as an option for the Carnival Glory 11/17 voyage. Therefore we either miss Lamanai or go with the independent company. I am more than a bit nervous about getting back in time, and may end up doing Altun Ha simply for the peace of mind. But I really want to do that river portion of the tour, and stay away from the 'herds' of fellow tourist.

i have been going over and over about what ruins to go to. this one appeals to me, since i heard several people talk about the "indiana jones" look to the jungle around it. usually i would just do the ruins and not the river boat part...but it's the 1 all day tour we are doing and we are going to make the most of it. we booked through the cruise ship, just don't want to have to deal with a tender port and a all day excursions. one or the other and i would have gone with a local tour group...but not both.

to me this tour offers too many photo ops to pass up. if its a little touristy, so be it, this will be my 1st trip to the area and i am a tourist!!!

i have been going over and over about what ruins to go to. this one appeals to me, since i heard several people talk about the "indiana jones" look to the jungle around it. usually i would just do the ruins and not the river boat part...but it's the 1 all day tour we are doing and we are going to make the most of it. we booked through the cruise ship, just don't want to have to deal with a tender port and a all day excursions. one or the other and i would have gone with a local tour group...but not both.

to me this tour offers too many photo ops to pass up. if its a little touristy, so be it, this will be my 1st trip to the area and i am a tourist!!!

We're awaiting your report - all the same reasons for booking with the ship. - We've booked Jan 15 for that excursion - from the SUN, Let me, et al, in on your opinion once your back!

i'll be posting reviews all over the place:eek:

got a new camera, so look for plenty of photos. DH was laughing at me last night, i have a suitcase packed. i had good reason, i was cleaning my closet out, getting the summer stuff out of the way...as i tried things on, i packed what i am taking on the trip...put the other stuff out of my way. much better then trying to find it, after i put it away for the winter.

I belive you are talking about Lamanai. I am sure you will love this experience. We did this as an independent tour in Feb 07. We were the only ones on the tour and at the ruins. This experience is what all travel experiences will be measured against.

You can not separate the river tour and the ruins. The only way to get to the ruins (with any ease) is by boat. The river tour is fast and fun.

We climbed one of the temples and am so glad that we did. I have posted two images (of many taken) on CC, link is below. In one image you can see the temple you can climb, from the ground. The other image is me climbing down. Not an easy task, I was very sore for the remainder of the cruise (and even days after we got back) - a price I would happily pay to have this experience again.

Looking forward to hearing your review!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599848&highlight=lamanai

It'll be our first time in Belize, too, and I had been looking at the "Lamanai and New River Safari" through the Norwegian Sun in April, 2008.

We'll have my Mom and Dad with us. Just wondering if this tour is still as fun if you can't climb all over the ruins? Is there anyone to tell you about what you are seeing at the site...or a map of some sort?

Just wondering what we can do with the parents that doesn't involve cave tubing or snorkeling. This sounded like a fun day!

Also...is the boat ride a nice scenic ride, or on a speedboat where we will not have time to enjoy the scenery and be able to talk with each other?

Was there water or snacks available anywhere on the boat or along the way?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share. We are looking forward to visiting Belize!

:)

i am doing it , through NCL, in 37 days...i can give you the details after that. unless you are looking to book through a private vendor? i am doing the NCL spirit, with our port times the 7 1/2 hours is about all the time we are there. just don't feel like taking a chance of missing the boat, on the way back.

according to NCL, yes, there is lunch provided. i take my own soda/water any time i take a tour. here's a link to the official belize website of the ruins:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

It'll be our first time in Belize, too, and I had been looking at the "Lamanai and New River Safari" through the Norwegian Sun in April, 2008.

We'll have my Mom and Dad with us. Just wondering if this tour is still as fun if you can't climb all over the ruins? Is there anyone to tell you about what you are seeing at the site...or a map of some sort?

Just wondering what we can do with the parents that doesn't involve cave tubing or snorkeling. This sounded like a fun day!

Also...is the boat ride a nice scenic ride, or on a speedboat where we will not have time to enjoy the scenery and be able to talk with each other?

Was there water or snacks available anywhere on the boat or along the way?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can share. We are looking forward to visiting Belize!

:)

I can not speak specifically about the NCL excursion, but I might be able to answer some of your questions. (We booked and independent tour.)

Even if I did not climb the pyramid, I would do it all over again. I thought it was just so interesting. We had a guide - the same one for the river trip and the ruins.

I would not call this a nice scenic ride. I would call it a fun and fast scenic ride. It is about 24 miles each way, so you go fast. We did stop along the way to see alligators, birds and flora.

Our guide brought water and soda. We also brought water with us.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!

I am excited to hear other reviews of this trip! Your pics and description are really making me want to take this tour.

We will be doing it through the ship (NCL SUN) in March, as we will have my Mom and Dad with us and want to leave as little room for error open as possible! HAHA!

Thanks again for the info!

I'll be watching for the other reviews!

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I did the Lamani Ruins New River Safari back in February 2006 through RCCL. The weather was rainy and 55 degrees. :( Of course, they (it's up to the tour guides, not RCCL) didn't cancel this adventure, which they should have. The guides came prepared with rain coats and heavier jackets for themselves. We, of course, had shorts and tank tops. Froze our butts off!!! It was miserable, chilled down to the bone. Being an all day tour, we didn't even get to enjoy the port shopping area. When our bus arrived back to port, we ran for the tenders. A hot shower never felt so good! RCCL ended up giving us half our money back seems everyone complained about this tour. The tour would have been great (except for the 3 hour bus ride), if the weather cooperated.

The bus ride was 1.5 hours each way. Don't look out the windows... there was tons of trash along side of the roads - kids walking to bus stops just throwing their breakfast trash along the way. I can't really give a timeframe for the boat trip seems the captain just gunned it all the way to the ruins. The rain felt like little needles hitting your skin. Seemed like hours, but was probably 45 minutes each way. I would guess the real boat trip should have been around 1.5 hours each way.

Don't get me wrong... the tour would have been very beautiful and interesting if the weather would have cooperated.:D

We just returned from our cruise and the best shore trip we took was the one in Belize to Lamania. It was wonderful!

We used belizecruiseexcursions.com. I was a bit nervous because it was a long day and I didn't want to miss the boat, but they had us back with time to spare. They were very easy to locate at the peer and we were quickly on our way.

Our tour guide, JP, was the best! He was so informative and interesting. He clearly loves his country and is happy to share everything about it. Honestly, we could not have had a better tour guide.

The bus ride was about an hour, followed by a boat ride that was just as long. JP talked most of the ride and the time went so fast. We were able to spend about 1 1/2 hours at the ruins and they was facinating. JP was able to explain all about the Mayan civilization, and you could tell he enjoyed doing so. Lunch was also provided and it was very good.

The country was beautiful and the people very friendly. I would highly recommend this tour, especially with JP.

We just returned from our cruise and the best shore trip we took was the one in Belize to Lamania. It was wonderful!

We used belizecruiseexcursions.com. I was a bit nervous because it was a long day and I didn't want to miss the boat, but they had us back with time to spare. They were very easy to locate at the peer and we were quickly on our way.

Our tour guide, JP, was the best! He was so informative and interesting. He clearly loves his country and is happy to share everything about it. Honestly, we could not have had a better tour guide.

The bus ride was about an hour, followed by a boat ride that was just as long. JP talked most of the ride and the time went so fast. We were able to spend about 1 1/2 hours at the ruins and they was facinating. JP was able to explain all about the Mayan civilization, and you could tell he enjoyed doing so. Lunch was also provided and it was very good.

The country was beautiful and the people very friendly. I would highly recommend this tour, especially with JP.

Glad you had such a good experience. We too loved this excursion and the tour guides (belizecruiseexcursions). Lamanai is just breathtaking - especially wen you enter the lagoon and see the ancient site.

Did you climb the temple?

Wow, didn't think about it being cold! Being from Canada, it would still feel like a treat to us, but I should think about taking a couple of rain slickers.

I'm looking forward to the reviews coming in--we're doing this tour on December 17th, through the cruiseline. I've been torn because the snorkelling is so great offshore, but the favourable comments help me with that conflict, for sure.

Archived