Does HAL have alot of annoucements?

karensj

I have been on several cruises but never on Hal. I was wondering if they make annoucements alot. On our Celebrity cruise it was not in your stateroom only in public areas. On Carnival it was everywhere. What is your opinion?

Karen

Not a lot, but clearly more than Celebrity (which has none), but less than say, Royal Caribbean.

One thing that I found consistently annoying is that there is always a blaring announcement for Bingo whenever I am trying to nap. Attempting to vary the time doesn't help...somehow they know!

I do not recall a constant barrage of announcements on any of our HAL cruises. There is, of course the "Voice from the Bridge" every day at noon, then occasional announcements of activities, but not many. The most annoying announcements are the ones about Bingo which seem designed for drumming up business "There will be bingo today. ...Bingo will be in xxx space.....Bingo will begin soon......The Bingo jackpot is.....Bingo will begin in xxx minutes" Aarghhh!! Most announcements are not heard in your cabin unless your cabin is located near a speaker in the corridor.

By contrast, we have been docked near NCL, RCCL and Carnival ships and the constant din of announcements and music would not lure me to book a cruise with them, for sure.

The most annoying announcements are the ones about Bingo which seem designed for drumming up business "There will be bingo today. ...Bingo will be in xxx space.....Bingo will begin soon......The Bingo jackpot is.....Bingo will begin in xxx minutes" Aarghhh!!

"It's time for Snnnnooooobbbaaaaaalllll Jackpot BIIIIINgo!"

Most announcements are not heard in your cabin unless your cabin is located near a speaker in the corridor.

Or unless you switch your cabin speaker to the correct station. I usually do in order to not miss what few announcements there are.

The cabin speaker has 5 chanels, 4 for different genres of music and the inevitable number 5 for announcements. We listen to no. 5 for the bridge announcements then turn it off when we know its near bingo time!!..jean :cool:

If we are in our cabin when it is a sea day and getting near the time the captain is to talk (1 PM) - we turn on the radio about 10 minutes before his talk. As soon as he is done, we turn it off.

There will be announcements in the morning going over the morning activities and again after the captain talks OR in some cases a "message" from the bridge.

The only other time we turn on the radio is in the afternoon, again if we are in the cabin, when it is about time for the ship to leave port and the captain talks about the where the ship will be going, etc.

One thing that I found consistently annoying is that there is always a blaring announcement for Bingo whenever I am trying to nap. Attempting to vary the time doesn't help...somehow they know!

"Jackpot Jennifer" comes to mind on my Rotterdam cruise last March. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't mind the bingo announcements (at least I can win some money there), but the constant announcements about the upcoming "Art Auction" drive me insane. Their "art work" is in every hallway, so you can see what will be auctioned off that afternoon.

If I want GOOD art - I will go to an art gallery.

Tom

There is no reason for any announcements other than at disembarkation. On our Renaissance Mediterranean cruise there was one other announcement--when we had to make an unscheduled stop in Messina to put ashore a passenger who had had a heart attack and required hospitalization. Announcements are bush league--like having the cruise director bellowing at you in the dining room during a so-called formal night. If it's in the daily paper it needn't be announced.

On the Maasdam it was:

BINGO, BINGO, BINGO - MUST GO TO BINGO!!!

Let me tell you, that got annoying after the first announcement.

I've never heard announcements for the "Art" auction though. This is one thing I personally wish would go "Bye-Bye" from cruise ships!

"Art Auction" drive me insane.

Art Auction???

Art????

Oh ... you mean that junk is supposed to be "art"??? About 4/5 of it I would be embarrassed to hang on my walls. They DID have some Disney animated cells ... VERY nice. I bought one of Elmer Fudd and Buggs Bunny.

Art Auction???

Art????

Oh ... you mean that junk is supposed to be "art"??? About 4/5 of it I would be embarrassed to hang on my walls. They DID have some Disney animated cells ... VERY nice. I bought one of Elmer Fudd and Buggs Bunny.

Reminds me of an old Marx Brothers skit.

Groucho is in an art gallery looking at a very painting and says "I don't know what the artist got for this , but it should have been 25 to life" *LOL*

I have been on several cruises but never on Hal. I was wondering if they make annoucements alot. On our Celebrity cruise it was not in your stateroom only in public areas. On Carnival it was everywhere. What is your opinion?

Karen

Yes, Karen. Unfortunately, they have a lot of announcements. While I am sure it is a revenue thing...begging people to come to bingo and art auctions, I still wonder why grown ups can't read the daily program for themselves and make their own decisions. The announcements only interrupt and annoy!

I don't mind the bingo announcements (at least I can win some money there), but the constant announcements about the upcoming "Art Auction" drive me insane. Their "art work" is in every hallway, so you can see what will be auctioned off that afternoon.

If I want GOOD art - I will go to an art gallery. Tom

:eek: Awk! I am so with all of you on this one. The "art" auctions are the worst thing on all cruiselines. The "art" is such a ripoff! And the announcements for these auctions are all the more annoying because they act as if this is our very last chance to "get in on these great deals".

Take me away herbal essence..............;)

Archived