Transportation Options from Pt of LA to BUR?

Birdnutty

I hope you're getting a really low fare as the taxi or shuttle to Burbank will be pretty costly. Also, you may be cutting it real close trying to make a noon flight. First, there is not a direct route from San Pedro to Burbank. You would have to go on the Harbor Frwy (110) to the San Diego Freeway (405) to the Ventura (101) to the Hollywood (170). Or you can take the 110 via downtown LA to the Golden State (5). Either way, it's a long trip.

Second, we're taking about rush hour traffic. If you're not from this area, you may not have experienced the type of traffic we're talking about.

Third, just because the ship docks at 7, doesn't mean disembarkation will start right away. We only had one other ship in port with us when we were getting on the Island Princess, but customs/immigration didn't even board until about 8:30.

Fourth, don't forget you need to get through security. Burbank probably isn't as crazy as LAX, but may still have long lines.

Most people who fly to LA to take a cruise here would use LAX or Long Beach airport. Less hassle.

I agree. You are nearly 45 minutes past LAX to get to Burbank airport, and I would not advise anyone to take an LAX flight earlier than 1PM. IF you can get off as early at 10AM (doubtful with immigration and customs in San Pedro) and IF you can get a cab and don't mind paying a lot (at least $75) to get to Burbank, you are unlikely to make this flight.

I agree. You are nearly 45 minutes past LAX to get to Burbank airport, and I would not advise anyone to take an LAX flight earlier than 1PM. IF you can get off as early at 10AM (doubtful with immigration and customs in San Pedro) and IF you can get a cab and don't mind paying a lot (at least $75) to get to Burbank, you are unlikely to make this flight.

If we had a stop in San Francisco, do we still have to worry about customs and immigration? I was under the impression we'd have to do that in SF (at least the customs part)

Unfortunately, we already have tix, so it looks like we're stuck with Burbank. Is there any other way besides taxi? Are there any shuttles? (I'm so mad at myself - I didn't do all the home work I usually do on this, and mistakenly thought LAX and BUR were pretty clse. Never took the location of the pier into account) DUMMY!!!!

I never looked at the map previous to doing this..... Burbank is LIGHTYEARS away from the cruise ship. You're right - looks like we'll never make it.

Jet blue (who we're already on) does fly from NY to Long Beach. Looks like that's the best way to go. Sigh.....guess I'll just have to bit the bullet and make the change. another sigh..........

Thanks so much for answering. If I hadn't asked the question, we'd be frantic on getting home.

Then I have to ask the question again....what's the best way between the pier (which I gather is in LA harbor) and Long Beach?

You might want to double check about customs/immigration in a prior port. I don't think I've had another US port just before disembarkation so I don't know. But even then, I think you would have problems getting to Burbank in that quick of time so the change to Long Beach would be fine.

on the burbankairport.com website, they make mention of using amtrack that is located at one of the terminals, you would still need to allow about 2 hours of traveling time for this with a cost of 12.50 each way per person

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Where would you be going via Amtrak? If you're going from the port up to Burbank, I would imagine it would take some time. (also make sure that if you're bringing some luggage, some Amtrak stations don't check in baggage)

You can arrange a shuttle try Primetime or Supershuttle. You will have to have a private van since there probably won't be anyone else on their way to Burbank. I hope you are disembarking on a weekend. Rush hour traffic during the week would be a big problem. Can you change your flight to a later time?

Plan on doing express debarkation - getting all you luggage off the ship on your own. You will be the first group off and thru customs and immigration which in San Pedro can be very slow.

There is a shuttle bus from the Burbank Airport to the Amtrak station in downtown LA, where you can get an Amtrak train, but it goes no where near either San Pedro or Long Beach. Not sure how that would be at all relevant to this person's needs.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. SInce it appears that I'd going to be a bit inconvenienced by this, I just changed our reservations to go out of Long Beach instead. Hopefully, problem solved!

Very good idea on your part. We are flying into and out of LGB for our cruise in October. I hate the thought of flying into and out of LAX!! Or having to go through the hassle of getting to Burbank airport...

There is a shuttle bus from the Burbank Airport to the Amtrak station in downtown LA, where you can get an Amtrak train, but it goes no where near either San Pedro or Long Beach. Not sure how that would be at all relevant to this person's needs.

Correction, the Bur station amtrak picks you up at the Burbank Airport and takes you to LA station from that point, Amtrak arranges a Thurway bus ride, that is included in the price, and it takes you to San Pedro.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. SInce it appears that I'd going to be a bit inconvenienced by this, I just changed our reservations to go out of Long Beach instead. Hopefully, problem solved!

Smart move to Long Beach Airport - have a great cruise - its no fun worrying about getting the flight home while you should be enjoying your cruise.

Archived