update on passport complication

terinzak

I just got off the phone with the passport office. They rejected my application for my son's passpport because (1) his dad didn't sign and (2) they didnt like my reason why he didnt sign.

To make a long story short, I have no idea where my son's dad is..havent heard from him or seen him in 12 years! I wrote all of this on the application..to no avail. According to the passport department, I must be able to show that I have attempted to track him down...either thru detective agency etc and that he wont sign the release. All of this has to be done within the next 90 days or my son's application is lost and all the money is forfeited.

This wouldnt be an issue if my son was 14....but he's only 12 1/2 so now I get to spend more money to prove that my son's dad (and we were never married) approves of him getting a passport. So what happens when you do the right thing and put the dad's name on the birth certificate!

I just got off the phone with the passport office. They rejected my application for my son's passpport because (1) his dad didn't sign and (2) they didnt like my reason why he didnt sign.

To make a long story short, I have no idea where my son's dad is..havent heard from him or seen him in 12 years! I wrote all of this on the application..to no avail. According to the passport department, I must be able to show that I have attempted to track him down...either thru detective agency etc and that he wont sign the release. All of this has to be done within the next 90 days or my son's application is lost and all the money is forfeited.

This wouldnt be an issue if my son was 14....but he's only 12 1/2 so now I get to spend more money to prove that my son's dad (and we were never married) approves of him getting a passport. So what happens when you do the right thing and put the dad's name on the birth certificate!

I think you need to show paperwork that you have sole custody? We got my stepdaughter a passport and did not need anything from her mother.

The only legal document that I have is child support and they wont accept that! I asked them why would I get child support (and not often, at that:( ) if I didn't have legal custody??? No answer from them!

Do you get child support through garnishment of his pay or does he just sometimes send $$?

If it is garnishment, perhaps you can get his address through the state.

I also agree with one poster to contact your congressman.

Good luck to you.

I think you need legal advice and not advice from well meaning strangers on a public message board.

It may be as simple as a visit to the courthouse and filing papers, it could become more complicated.

We have a friend who had to divorce a wife in absentia, she would not come forward although she knew he wanted a divorce. Her family would not advise him of her whereabouts. He had to publish his intent in local newspapers where he thought she may be, her hometown, the town where they met, the town they lived in, plus where he thought she might have gone after leaving him. Some people must enjoy making others lives miserable.

Check to see if this might work for you. But, like everyone else here, I don't know the true and real solution.

The mess you are embroiled in, is put in as a safeguard for most of us. What if the shoe were on the other foot? How would you feel if you knew your child's father was able to take him out of the country on maybe his first visit with him.

I'm glad the government is diligent in this regard and sorry you are caught up in it.

I get child support through child support enforcement. I don't know where my ex is...and he doesn't know where I live. However...I can assure you the child support agency you are dealing with knows exactly where he is. Maybe they could give his contact information to the passport officials.

I second the suggestion that you need legal advice. At a minimum, a court can issue an order allowing you to obtain a passport without the father's signature, but there are certainly other circumstances where you may need to be able to prove that you have sole custody of your son and do not need his father's authorization to take other actions -- actions which could be far more important than a cruise.

The only legal document that I have is child support and they wont accept that! I asked them why would I get child support (and not often, at that:( ) if I didn't have legal custody??? No answer from them!
Lots of people pay child support in joint custody situations.

That's OK, great minds think alike. LOL

It is none of my business, and you are free to do what you want, but you have the single most obnoxious signature I have ever seen in this forum. I am happy you have so many cruises in your past, but could you try to condense them a bit so that your one line post doesn't take up two computer screens? Just trying to help.

jc

It is none of my business, and you are free to do what you want, but you have the single most obnoxious signature I have ever seen in this forum. I am happy you have so many cruises in your past, but could you try to condense them a bit so that your one line post doesn't take up two computer screens? Just trying to help.

jc

Why not put them side by side with a comma instead of in a long list?

I think you need legal advice and not advice from well meaning strangers on a public message board.

It may be as simple as a visit to the courthouse and filing papers, it could become more complicated.

We have a friend who had to divorce a wife in absentia, she would not come forward although she knew he wanted a divorce. Her family would not advise him of her whereabouts. He had to publish his intent in local newspapers where he thought she may be, her hometown, the town where they met, the town they lived in, plus where he thought she might have gone after leaving him. Some people must enjoy making others lives miserable.

Check to see if this might work for you. But, like everyone else here, I don't know the true and real solution.

We know about that. That is also a way to get sole custody. If there wa a divorce there should be a ruling on custody.

Then, don't you have paperwork showing that you have custody?

That is why the "fathers" name was never put on my daughters birth certificate and she was given my last name ( maiden name now) I am so sorry your having so much problems :( , Thankfully I wont have to worry though he to has not been in her life and I would rather not have him in it at all if I can help it. :mad:

5. Present Parental Application Permission Documentation

. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

• Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent;

I have the same issue with my daughter however I had no problem with getting her passport. I have to ask, did your son's father sign his birth certificate? In the state of Georgia where we live the father has to actually sign the birth certificate to be listed on it. My daughters biological father wouldn't sign it because in his mind if he didnt sign it then it must not be real....the jerk! Anyway, I emailed the passport agency before hand and asked what I needed to do. I explained my situation and they emailed me back saying that I didn't have to have his permission. I printed the email and took it with me and had no problem. I hope your situation gets resovled soon.

In california, the father does not have to sign the BC. In regards to getting custody...we were never married and my son has always lived with me and has never seen his dad. The child support office says they cant release his address to me or mine to him. So, Im hoping that they will write a letter to that affect so I can send it to the passport agency.. I really dont want to get a court order granting me permission to get a passport because the time frame for a court date is 6 months. i only have 90 days to get this done or my DS file is closed and all the $ spent getting the passport is gone!

Archived