Can I take my own pictures?

misseattle

We usually do the ones where the ship itself is the background like over looking the centrum which is exactly where the professionals take some of the pictures. Last month while waiting for the photog to show up we had another couple who was waiting also snap a picture of us and it turned out better than the pros. :rolleyes:

Just wondering....do the photographers on board allow you to take pictures with your own digital camera using their backdrops? Or will they insist in having themselves take the only picture?

You may take your own pictures, anywhere on the ship or in port EXCEPT where the photographers have their official sets.

It would be very declassé to use the photographers' set-ups. They will also be using them the entire time that they are up.

You would be very lucky to get a picture anywhere near as good as what the professionals come up with. Print quality aside (which in my humble opinion really stinks on the ships) you simply won't have the light. They use studio lighting and it is professionally calibrated and metered for each photo session. Your small camera flash is no match, and especially in areas like the Centrum staircase where there is no back fill lighting, your results will look very little like what the pros get.

Fortunately, you can take the prints from the ship, scan them yourself, touch it up with Photoshop and have it printed at a decent quality lab for much better results. Just search for the copyright release forms which are discussed here from time to time.

Theron

When we sailed on the Enchantment in April, the photographers asked us not to take pictures of the others in our group, even after they were finished taking them. I had never experienced this before and it kind of shocked me. But....I guess they figured it would cost them money if ours turned out just as good as theirs did, because we wouldn't buy them.

Archived