Spirit 9/22 - Looking for others who left the ship

caravellov

I wonder how this one will turn out? And wouldn't you know, I will be on a ship (leaving Friday morning for Los Angeles) so I probably won't get to see what happens. By the time I get back this will be a lost subject and something elso will replace it. LOL

I think you're wrong Nita. I'm not leaving until October 28 (14 days) and I expect this topic to still be around when I return. ;)

BTW...have a great cruise!

If NCL issues a small compensatory "refund" or future OBC as a gesture of goodwill to those who left the ship - what do the vast majority of those who stayed on receive as compensation for remaining? :)

Shouldn't all be treated equally by NCL - those who chose to leave and those chose to stay?

This thread will go on and on and on and........

I wasnt on the ship but I certainly would have made the same choice as you.

I think leaving the ship is your right since safety was threatened, IMO,

I think NCL should give a refund.

If the Police saw no reason to evacuate the ship, then the people who left were in no real danger and therefore left of their own choosing and NCL owes them nothing.

I work in a profession where we get many bomb threats. The experts have told us that 95% of all bomb threats are hoaxes. Usually people trying to get attention. The trained experts know by reading the threat or listening to the tape how serious a threat it is. In the case of the Spirit it was no threat.

Leaving the ship could have put you in just as much danger. The new "fad" amongst these wackos is to somehow cause panic in hopes that someone will get hurt in that panic. Also, many schools no longer evacuate for bomb threats due to the fear of a sniper lying in wait for the students to evacuate. So leaving the ship could have been just as dangerous as staying in a place where the police thought you were safe.

i got the same answers from NCL. So i had my bank to temporarily reverse the credit card charges until the bank can investigate further, i have also called the insurance company that i purchased travel insurance with ro start a claim in case the bank is unsuccesful in their efforts to get thier money back from NCL.

I think the capt was wrong for waiting until 6:30 to tell us we could get off when the bomb was reported to be exploded at 7:pm. The worst thing is that when everyone asked the ladies at the information desk: if we would rec'v a refund? , they all said "yes, just call this phone number on the business card on monday".

We should all get a lawyer to file a class action suit.

why didn't you just wait in the pier until the 'all clear' was given then gotten back on?

Louie ,the all clear was given at 6:30 pm, the same time that many of us heard for the 1st time that there was an actual threat, and also the same time that the capt gave us the option to leave.

we were on the main pool deck during the bon voyage BBQ and heard nothing.

....and the band played on....(even louder)

no one could hear a thing

Originally Posted by smeyer418 viewpost.gif

I would expect nothing back but I also not sure I would have remained. Given what has happened in the past, I probably would have gotten off until they cleared it and then got back on. posted 9/23

when I first posted this a number of days ago, I assumed that the offer to leave was made before the ship was cleared by the powers that are. It now appears that the offer was made after the ship had been cleared so in essence it was all shore that are going ashore, made after the ship was cleared. I would have stayed on at that point, and if I voluntarily decided to get off at that point, I would expect nothing back, I might hope for it, but not expect it.

I actually don't understand the point of this thread. If I decided to get off why would I be looking for others who decided to leave to unless what I really want is my money back....

it either is or isn't

I know for a fact that close to 50 people were at the counter while i was checking out...and almost all of them confirmed that when they inquired about a refund, the receptionist had a stack of business cards for the customer relations dept, and they told us we would get refunds. Just to call the number on the card for refunds

Louie ,the all clear was given at 6:30 pm, the same time that many of us heard for the 1st time that there was an actual threat,

I'm getting confused, are you saying that after you were told there was no bomb you then left?

If so, good luck on that refund!

I'm getting confused, are you saying that after you were told there was no bomb you then left?

If so, good luck on that refund!

The bomb was set to go off at 7pm, they gave an all clear at 6:30...

So, to me, the threat hadnt past, and i and many others wanted to get the heck off the ship asap! and once we left we would not be allowed back on

The bomb was set to go off at 7pm, they gave an all clear at 6:30...

So, to me, the threat hadnt past, and i and many others wanted to get the heck off the ship asap! and once we left we would not be allowed back on

What bomb? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I see your point, but I still think it'll take a lot of luck to get a refund since the ship had been cleared.

What bomb? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I see your point, but I still think it'll take a lot of luck to get a refund since the ship had been cleared.

:confused: So, do the passengers who stayed on the ship (until a certain point when they departed the ship) expect to pay for their drinks, lunch, Cagney's dinners, etc.,:confused: That they indulged in??

After all, they did peruse the perks.

Shouldn't these charges be deducted from (if) any compensation?

If you ate and drank for several hours...what do you think your compensation should be?

No bomb, ship cleared:)

I would have probably left the ship. Would I expect a refund, absolutely not. Even if there is cruise insurance, I believe there is a stipulation that no refunds will be made for an act of terrorism. Bomb Threats are a form of terrorism.

It would be a personal choice to leave or stay, but I would expect nothing from NCL.

The price of a one night cruise, is not worth anyone's life.

The way I look at it is this... If there was a call or "threat" of a bomb, then there was no bomb. I don't remember any group or person who has ever "bombed" something to call ahead and warn people there was a bomb.. I always look at it that way. If there is a call warning of a bomb, then there is no bomb.. I would have stayed on.

thats precisly what the ira would do. before the bombs they would leave bomb warnings.

The worst thing is that when everyone asked the ladies at the information desk: if we would rec'v a refund? , they all said "yes, just call this phone number on the business card on monday".

This is an important point. You were told you would get a refund, but now you aren't. It's not like you just left the ship either 1) not being told anything or 2) being told you wouldn't.

If you were told you wouldn't get a refund, would you still have gotten off the ship?

i got the same answers from NCL. So i had my bank to temporarily reverse the credit card charges until the bank can investigate further, i have also called the insurance company that i purchased travel insurance with ro start a claim in case the bank is unsuccesful in their efforts to get thier money back from NCL.

I think the capt was wrong for waiting until 6:30 to tell us we could get off when the bomb was reported to be exploded at 7:pm. The worst thing is that when everyone asked the ladies at the information desk: if we would rec'v a refund? , they all said "yes, just call this phone number on the business card on monday".

We should all get a lawyer to file a class action suit.

What, per se, is the cause of action? I am almost certain your cruise contract contains a clause in which no modifications can be made without a signed writing by both parties.

This is an important point. You were told you would get a refund, but now you aren't. It's not like you just left the ship either 1) not being told anything or 2) being told you wouldn't.

If you were told you wouldn't get a refund, would you still have gotten off the ship?

this is the first time anyone has mentioned the reception desk said there would be a refund. I think maybe someone misunderstood. These kinds of decisions are made at the management level in Miami, not by the purser. I don't know what really happened, but I do question this. If they did indeed claim such a thing, I too woudl be pissed.

Nita

Louie ,the all clear was given at 6:30 pm, the same time that many of us heard for the 1st time that there was an actual threat, and also the same time that the capt gave us the option to leave.

we were on the main pool deck during the bon voyage BBQ and heard nothing.

....and the band played on....(even louder)

no one could hear a thing

That is a JOKE. I was on the pool deck as well. Couldn't you tell you were not moving? All one had to do was call the purser's desk and ASK, like we did, at 5:15 and you would have found out about the threat.

NCL owes you nothing, IMHO.

and you couldn't see the police? Yeah right I can hear the captain now. "The police are on board searching for a bomb because of call recieved saying there is a bomb aboard."

The Captain did what the police told them and made no announcement. Some of you people are just NUTS. If they made such an announcement people could have been hurt. It was handled appropriately.

One more point I can't imagine that the front desk said "you will get your money back" more likely if you want to call and see whether you will get your money back call such and such but I wasn't there and neither heard what was said nor what you heard(which may be different things)...

Has anyone ever left a sporting event or the theater because they felt insecure or threatened? I'm sure some have. Do those people expect refunds? I don't think so.

Its like what was said above...real terrorists don't call in threats. Only nutcases looking to inconveince people, cost them or the company money and make them panic call in bomb threats.

Based on what is being said by those who left, this nutcase was successful in his threat......

"That is a JOKE. I was on the pool deck as well. Couldn't you tell you were not moving? All one had to do was call the purser's desk and ASK, like we did, at 5:15 and you would have found out about the threat."

Sorry ...not so sure if I agree. Late departures are not that uncommon. I was on the pool deck also and didn't think to call the pursur's and find out if something was wrong. It was NCL's responsibility to inform ALL passengers. Funny ... when it is BINGO time ... everyone knows.

Has anyone ever left a sporting event or the theater because they felt insecure or threatened? I'm sure some have. Do those people expect refunds? I don't think so.

Its like what was said above...real terrorists don't call in threats. Only nutcases looking to inconveince people, cost them or the company money and make them panic call in bomb threats.

Based on what is being said by those who left, this nutcase was successful in his threat......

I was in a theater where there was a small fire backstage and they evacuated it in the middle of the first act; those who chose to leave were given tickets for a future performance, those who stayed (like we did) were let back in after an hour and the performance resumed. there never was any real danger, and the theater kept us well informed during the entire process, but the theater felt responsible and compensated those who chose not to return that day. A lotof businesses would do the same.

As for terrorists and bombs--a lot of terrorist groups call in the threats precisely because they do not want to kill people, just do a lot of property damage; the IRA mentioned by someone above is a good example, but there are many others that do the same thing.

Archived