Think I'll hang out here from now on ....

Vic The Parrot

Gee, this doesn't seem like a friendly place for an innocent Welsh Corgi...:( May have to leave Hubble at home....lord knows what these maniacal beings would do to him once he was locked in the kennels...

Can anyone tell me if Pol Acker is good for washing hair? I read an article in GQ once....

Andrew

I stumbled upon the Cunard board last week and have been obsessively lurking every since. I thought I should just pop-in (or is that pop-out) and say hello and let you all know I'm here.

It will most likely be several years before we will be able to do a Cunard cruise, when the children are grown and no longer bottomless money sinks. Until then - I will cruise vicariously through the posts I read here.

Penny - your review of your voyage on the QMII almost brought me to tears. Perhaps someday....

I am going back into my cave now -

Esmo

That dog doesn't look bald as a coot!:D
If you've not had the priveledge of living with a Corgi, you should know that lack of hair (fur) is decidely NOT a problem....almost daily, we could gather enough to weave a lovely lap rug for an ocean liner deck chair...in fact, even after many trips to the dry cleaner, much care in packing, and several weeks away from the dear lad, we can always find a little reminder of our friend several continents away....and, unlike me, with all this shedding, he just keeps growing more!

Esmo, hope you're able to find a way...but I don't suppose those pesky child welfare folks would look kindly on you leaving your kids in a kennel the way we do with Hubble....

I stumbled upon the Cunard board last week and have been obsessively lurking every since. I thought I should just pop-in (or is that pop-out) and say hello and let you all know I'm here.

It will most likely be several years before we will be able to do a Cunard cruise, when the children are grown and no longer bottomless money sinks. Until then - I will cruise vicariously through the posts I read here.

Penny - your review of your voyage on the QMII almost brought me to tears. Perhaps someday....

Esmo

No no Esmo...don't go back in your cave...stay here and hang out. We love new friends...join the fun and in no time you'll be on QM2...we have that effect on people!!;) Just drop the kiddies off with a family member and tell them you'll be back...someday!!!

And thank you for your very generous words about my review...you should have seen the tears when I had to leave!!! And those clawmarks!!!:eek:

Don;t give up hope...where there's a will there's a way...just keep watching the prices and you might be surprised. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...meanwhile just hang around...we have a lot of fun here inbetween trying to be helpful!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Gee, this doesn't seem like a friendly place for an innocent Welsh Corgi...:( May have to leave Hubble at home....lord knows what these maniacal beings would do to him once he was locked in the kennels...

Can anyone tell me if Pol Acker is good for washing hair? I read an article in GQ once....

Andrew

Fear not Andrew...dogs seem to be immune to the goings on of these obstreperous cats that have infested this forum...almost as bad as a case of lice...not that I'd know or anything:rolleyes:

I don't know about the hair washing but it sure works on rust.....

Meet my Bear...so far he's been safe here...he has fans. I'm sure he and Hubble will get along just fine and watch each others back!!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Esmo

Okay, Esmo,

(Did your mother name you that? Oh, you mean that's not your real name! But my parents names me travel-to-go! Honest!)

Your SiG line. I just have to ask.

Is that simply and old saying you like?

Or have you ever heard of an artist who has a CD called WALKIN' ON THIN ICE with the first song being "If you're walking on thin Ice (you might as well dance) "http://www.scottkirby.com/

There's a great sea chantey type song on their called the Doreyman

It was just a surprise to see that here. Scott is a friend of mine, lives in New Hampshire, and I love that song!

I'm sure, since you live in Sherwood, it's just a coincidence!

Anyway, don't lurk. I don't mean to scare you off, but for a good example of non-lurking see the May 6th - QM2 cruise on the Roll Call Boards, Or for the ORIGINAL non cruisers posting see the Dec 2 06 thread on the Roll Calls, still going strong and filled with posts from non-cruisers!

Or check out the What is Pol Acker thread on this board. One need not be a participant to participate here! All are welcome!

And a cruise is a lovely family vacation, with lots for the kids to do without them whining (whinging as you say in the UK) about nothing to do. They are out of your hair for you to have some adult fun, yes, come together for various activities, dinner included and it is educational without them even knowing it! with inside shared cabins, things are awfully close, but certainly affordable. It may be more accessible than you think! Even on Cunard!

Don't rule it out!

Karie,

who once thought she couldn't afford a cruise. Until she realized life could be short and decided to live while she was still alive!

Esmo

Hi Esmo.

Kindred spirit here when it comes to the children and the money. The children are beginning to graduate college now so we are at the threshold of being to spend the money on ourselves. :) There's light at the opening of your cave!

But please, come and join us, even if just on the message board. It's lots of fun, really. Glad to meet you.

If you've not had the priveledge of living with a Corgi, you should know that lack of hair (fur) is decidely NOT a problem....almost daily, we could gather enough to weave a lovely lap rug for an ocean liner deck chair...in fact, even after many trips to the dry cleaner, much care in packing, and several weeks away from the dear lad, we can always find a little reminder of our friend several continents away....and, unlike me, with all this shedding, he just keeps growing more!

Esmo, hope you're able to find a way...but I don't suppose those pesky child welfare folks would look kindly on you leaving your kids in a kennel the way we do with Hubble....

We have cats, and I know the answer to the hair question, because I read it in a comix the other day. The lady asks her pet, "You shed so much, why aren't you bald?"

"I have a high thread count."

PS: Corgis are darn cute, and look awfully smart, too. Nice. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome, Everyone.

Yes, my boss will be a Cunard-iste before I - She's gone and booked Queen's Grill accommodations for the August '08 Southampton-Venice cruise...

...and her husband didn't bat an eye when she told him that he had to purchase a new tux.

But then, he grew up lace-curtain Irish in Queens - where they dressed for dinners at home.

;)

....and, unlike me, with all this shedding, he just keeps growing more!

Which reminds me of my barber - He always proudly holds the mirror up so I can see the back of my head...

...as if he somehow miraculously grew more hair for me back there!

:cool:

We have cats, and I know the answer to the hair question, because I read it in a comix the other day. The lady asks her pet, "You shed so much, why aren't you bald?"

"I have a high thread count."

PS: Corgis are darn cute, and look awfully smart, too. Nice. :)

Ah yes, but did you get this one?

Reminds me of the Queens!

Nicely raked bow!

Karie,

whose life reads like the comic pages

nq070926.gif.4736fdc87bcfaa49ad50700742e75556.gif

Karie

No - my two stepsons nicknamed me Esmo (hopefully with affection) - it stands for "evil stepmother"...my mother named me Kathleen.....

My signature line is just a quote that I like and epitomizes in many ways my philosophy of life...but I think I'll look for the CD. Maybe my husband the music snob will even like it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately it really is a lovely little town)- it is Sherwood, Oregon, US of A. Though I have often thought that I must have been born to an English family.

Angela

I envy you the children in college - please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel..my two are 12 and 15 (horrid ages) but I know this time will pass all too quickly.

If I can figure out how to attach pictures of my gang of thieves (two cats and one sheltie) whose sole purpose in life seems to be sleeping and shedding I will.

We are putting our toes in the cruising water in December for a 60th birthday cruise for Kim on the Golden Princess to Mexico (booked before I discovered the Cunard board) and tentatively (deposit down) on the Norwegian Star with the children to Alaska in August. After I finish paying for those - I am going to start saving my pennies for a TA on the QM2...maybe for my double digit in a couple of years.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll poke my head out of the cave now and again, as long as I don't have to drink the Pol Acker (though my deck does need stripping)

Esmo

(well someone is going to have to show me how to insert pictures)...

Karie

No - my two stepsons nicknamed me Esmo (hopefully with affection) - it stands for "evil stepmother"...my mother named me Kathleen.....

My signature line is just a quote that I like and epitomizes in many ways my philosophy of life...but I think I'll look for the CD. Maybe my husband the music snob will even like it.

my two are 12 and 15 (horrid ages) but I know this time will pass all too quickly.

If I can figure out how to attach pictures of my gang of thieves (two cats and one sheltie) whose sole purpose in life seems to be sleeping and shedding I will.

I'll poke my head out of the cave now and again, as long as I don't have to drink the Pol Acker (though my deck does need stripping)

Esmo

(well someone is going to have to show me how to insert pictures)...

Kathleen (ESMO)

Sounds like a nickname of fond affection! I like it!

As for Scott's CD- His voice is not for everyone. it's kind of nasally., but his lyrics and musical stylings can be very interesting and very different, with some unexpected hooks! He has a range which I cannot match, though I can sing alto and tenor. He really grows on you if you listen enough. He lived in Key West for a number of years, got tired of that life and moved back to New England. Is the PR hack for, I think Manchester, New Hampshire now!

I think this link should allow you to hear a snippet of the song:

http://www.scottkirby.com/AUDIO/WOTI/WalkinOnThinIce.mp3

You can order through his web page. His fiddle player is (or was) serving in Iraq. she may be back now, not sure. I have caught her playing a few gigs when she was on leave. She's very talented. (and good looking too!)

Scott is very New England with a lot of Key West and Caribbean thrown in, some seafaring stuff- Like "If Once You've Slept on an Island." and my fave, the "Sweet Flowers of Cuba" About sailing past Cuba on the way back from Belize, and smelling the beautiful flowers, "the only thing that is free to leave" He writes some beautiful words. I hope you'll like him. He's a parrothead, performs at Parrothead functions from Maine to Key West and beyond. He'll be in Key West while I am on the QM2. He recorded his last CD live there, and I have a video of the sound check.

"In this big bad world full of imitation pearls, you can't be afraid to take a chance, cause when you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

As for the kids, I'll tell you what I tell all my friends!

Sell them while they're still cute! if you wait too long their retail value just goes to hell, and you're stuck with them. Sonds like you've waited to long. teen years they get hard to market!

As for the gang of thieves. (I have my own- I never intended to have a "herd" or "gang" of cats- I have three indoors- kittens of a feral mom, two outdoors, one was feral, one just showed up one day. we trap them, fix them and release them, and three that accidentally were separated from their mom, who may have been feral, shortly after birth. They have been hand fed and we are now looking to adopt them out- can you believe I am allergic to cats?) Shelties are pretty smart. want to trade? <LOL>

pics are easy. When you post, scroll down a little lower (below the window you type in). You will see:

manage attachments.

click on it.

browse for your pictures,

click upload,

and it should resize the pictures for you if they are too big. If it fails, try it again. I have occasionally had to resize them myself or try a third time.

Voila! close the window, and it will be an attachment thumbnail people can click on just like this one of me hand feeding one of the kittens. (they are now weaned and ready to leave)

I'm waiting to see your gang now! (I'm working nights this week, so I can await a few more hours! <LOL>)

As for the stripping, I wish I had thought of that. I have been working hard to strip my redwood deck (with 20 year old pigmented stain on it)

Because it is pigmented stain (a goof on the part of the builder's painter- we were horrifed when we saw it It was brick red- had to painted over with brown!), and real redwood, not some fake wood or pressure treated stuff, I have actually had to strip and sand, so I can treat it before I lose the deck. Wood is starting to rot! Too expensive to replace, and hard to get Redwood other than recovered these days. I should have tried the Pol Acker! Damn! Oh well, too late, I will be sanding and treating this weekend if it stays dry.

Well, let's see those pictures now!

Karie,

who is working hard. (not!)

P1010413.jpg.a5a96699feede11998656dc9b92ebe65.jpg

Thanks Angela - but I remember how I looked when I was in USAF Boot Camp...

...and I definitely look better w/ hair on this head.

;)

which reminds me of that marvellous quote..

"Men don't lose their hair.. or 'go bald' -

it simply goes underground

and comes out their ears,instead!"

Kathleen (ESMO)

Sounds like a nickname of fond affection! I like it!

As for Scott's CD- His voice is not for everyone. it's kind of nasally., but his lyrics and musical stylings can be very interesting and very different, with some unexpected hooks! He has a range which I cannot match, though I can sing alto and tenor. He really grows on you if you listen enough. He lived in Key West for a number of years, got tired of that life and moved back to New England. Is the PR hack for, I think Manchester, New Hampshire now!

I think this link should allow you to hear a snippet of the song:

http://www.scottkirby.com/AUDIO/WOTI/WalkinOnThinIce.mp3

You can order through his web page. His fiddle player is (or was) serving in Iraq. she may be back now, not sure. I have caught her playing a few gigs when she was on leave. She's very talented. (and good looking too!)

Scott is very New England with a lot of Key West and Caribbean thrown in, some seafaring stuff- Like "If Once You've Slept on an Island." and my fave, the "Sweet Flowers of Cuba" About sailing past Cuba on the way back from Belize, and smelling the beautiful flowers, "the only thing that is free to leave" He writes some beautiful words. I hope you'll like him. He's a parrothead, performs at Parrothead functions from Maine to Key West and beyond. He'll be in Key West while I am on the QM2. He recorded his last CD live there, and I have a video of the sound check.

"In this big bad world full of imitation pearls, you can't be afraid to take a chance, cause when you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

As for the kids, I'll tell you what I tell all my friends!

Sell them while they're still cute! if you wait too long their retail value just goes to hell, and you're stuck with them. Sonds like you've waited to long. teen years they get hard to market!

As for the gang of thieves. (I have my own- I never intended to have a "herd" or "gang" of cats- I have three indoors- kittens of a feral mom, two outdoors, one was feral, one just showed up one day. we trap them, fix them and release them, and three that accidentally were separated from their mom, who may have been feral, shortly after birth. They have been hand fed and we are now looking to adopt them out- can you believe I am allergic to cats?) Shelties are pretty smart. want to trade? <LOL>

pics are easy. When you post, scroll down a little lower (below the window you type in). You will see:

manage attachments.

click on it.

browse for your pictures,

click upload,

and it should resize the pictures for you if they are too big. If it fails, try it again. I have occasionally had to resize them myself or try a third time.

Voila! close the window, and it will be an attachment thumbnail people can click on just like this one of me hand feeding one of the kittens. (they are now weaned and ready to leave)

I'm waiting to see your gang now! (I'm working nights this week, so I can await a few more hours! <LOL>)

As for the stripping, I wish I had thought of that. I have been working hard to strip my redwood deck (with 20 year old pigmented stain on it)

Because it is pigmented stain (a goof on the part of the builder's painter- we were horrifed when we saw it It was brick red- had to painted over with brown!), and real redwood, not some fake wood or pressure treated stuff, I have actually had to strip and sand, so I can treat it before I lose the deck. Wood is starting to rot! Too expensive to replace, and hard to get Redwood other than recovered these days. I should have tried the Pol Acker! Damn! Oh well, too late, I will be sanding and treating this weekend if it stays dry.

Well, let's see those pictures now!

Karie,

who is working hard. (not!)

OK Karie - let's see if this works....

I sympathize about the deck...I need to do mine but it must wait until I finish the children's rooms. What ever possessed me to take that project on - I really can't fathom. Painting both rooms - and I loathe painting..and am bad at it too - paint spilled, step in the paint, cats in the paint..can you only imagine the horror..been at a week and have only one room complete (although with furniture painted also) and the red wall done in Hannah's room (4 coats!)..now onto the rest this week-end.

Anyway here is RileyRose the wonder dog, George the brave (orange cat) and Amelia the indifferent...

Esmo

Amelia.jpg.a165e9c547872d651409576abc3ef3ef.jpg

George.jpg.aa94dfaee15fdb5271486d621d516ff7.jpg

Riley.jpg.565a72405718cfac2b28872917521f7b.jpg

Like Coca Cola, if you drop a piece of enamel into Pol Acker, does it dissolve? Last trip we had a bottle of that and a bottle of...well...some decent California sparkling wine...from the travel agent...drank the sparkling wine at sail out, and had the room attendant clean the grease marks off our luggage with the other....

Pets are wonderful...makes returning from vacations tolerable....although the expense....cheaper to get Hubble his own inside stateroom than send him of to "camp." If only....

I painted 7 years ago when we moved in to our tiny place....but it has 25 foot ceilings in the living room....never again! I'm becoming 'fonder' and 'fonder' of that 'well lived-in," slightly deshabille look..matches me these days....And if I can tolerate tumbleweeds of Hubble fur rolling gently across the wood floors, certainly I can ignore a cob web or two...

Andrew

Esmo,

Wonderful menagerie you have there.

And I love "the names"

As for painting the furniture, too, was that intentional or a side effect? <G>

Andrew,

I agree about the putting them up somewhere. It WOULD be cheaper, probably to get them a grill stateroom! As for the dishabille, I think I shall use that term from now on. It sounds so much classier than "messy". As long as they don't see if, folks will think it's some chic new decorating scheme!

<sigh> I have the same cathedral ceilings. I painted them a lovely off-white (a touch of grey and blue) color called "cloud" They shall ever remain cloudy, as no way I am getting on a ladder to paint anything up there!

Karie,

who would much rather spend her money on cruises than hiring handymen

Archived