Think I'll hang out here from now on ....

Vic The Parrot

Awwww Vic...I'm blushing!! :o You silver tongued devil...you say the nicest things!!! ;)

Please do make a scene when they pull you off on Nov 10th so I know who you are...I do so love a good scene complete with wailing and shrieking!;)

:)

And I will 'make a scene' ....

You won't be able to miss me.

Like I mentioned before, just look for a Red Sox cap. ;) :cool:

I did that one, already. Oh God, I'm quoting myself.............. To the America, America tune:

Cunardians, Cunardians

Sailors of the Queens.

We cross the oceans mighty

On the best ships ever seen.

We all like gin and tonic

We all have silly laughs. (insert chorus of silly laughs)

We all wear dinner jackets

Even in the bath.

Our leader is Sir Martin

He is a talking cat.

He likes to meet the Captain

He likes to tell him that:

We're Cunardians, Cunardians

We all know lots about wine. (big finish now)

Cunardians, Cunardians

Cruisers of the Line.

AWESOME!!

You should do that for the pax talent show! ;) :)

Well I don't want to be seen as badmouthing and there are a lot of good people everywhere but.............I sensed from the first posting what board was being talked about having been over there at one time in the past. There is a certain camaraderie over there too but I do sense that it is different. I'm just glad that there was no specific incident that pushed me away.

I returned to cruising big time after a lack-lustre first attempt (you don't even want to know who.....I never visit their board) and it was because of THAT line that I wanted to do cruise #3 and beyond. Fortunately for us that was on the QM2 and so the Cunard board has become my home for a couple of years now. I felt that I just never belonged there but as I became more comfortable in Cunard shoes I just stopped having the urges to wonder over to the other side. Sure I may do THAT line on a future cruise but I have to admit I am happy to plant my flag on Cunard and have found this the friendliest and most bizarre (in a good way:D ) group on CC. Classy does not necessarily mean stuffy. Vic....happy to hear you feel at home here too.

Hopefully though we don't turn away visitors. Brian, and others, you are most welcome to come and visit us and learn about our wicked ways any time you wish.:) Nothing worse than being an outsider looking in!

David

Classy does not necessarily mean stuffy.

Hopefully though we don't turn away visitors. Brian, and others, you are most welcome to come and visit us and learn about our wicked ways any time you wish.:) Nothing worse than being an outsider looking in!

David

Well said David...we are always delighted to welcome all lurkers to the mayhem....even Happyscot found us...how about that. And none of us have stopped laughing since!! Well done HS too!!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

So just why is Cunard considered British when the line was, in fact, started by a Canadian?

(Thread drift). And yes, we're interested, too, ever since the great scrum in Edinburgh when 400 Cunarders and 900 Princessers converged on the Royal Mile, mixing freely amongst each other and driving our tour coordinators batty.

Well, Vic, I have to say that I was relieved that it was THAT board you were talking about...assumed it was the other one I frequent...

I think the basic difference is that Cunard board followers are more....well....Cunard. That is to say, before I really get myself in trouble, that those who I see here are often the types who truly enjoy cruising or crossing, enjoy a certain graciousness in their fellow travelers, yet still know how to have (a lot of) fun. The posters here don't seem afraid of a dress code, whether or not they own any denim. They know how to laugh at silliness...and at themselves....

I'm far from a regular here, but a fan of the line. So glad you've found a spot with these seemingly insane but charming-nonetheless folks.

Andrew

I think the basic difference is that Cunard board followers are more....well....Cunard. That is to say, before I really get myself in trouble, that those who I see here are often the types who truly enjoy cruising or crossing, enjoy a certain graciousness in their fellow travelers, yet still know how to have (a lot of) fun. The posters here don't seem afraid of a dress code, whether or not they own any denim. They know how to laugh at silliness...and at themselves....

I'm far from a regular here, but a fan of the line. So glad you've found a spot with these seemingly insane but charming-nonetheless folks.

Andrew

What a nice thing to say Andrew....and you are most welcome here too as you seem to possess the correct amount of irreverance!! Stick around long enough and we might may a convert of you!!;)

Cheers, Penny

Because the company was started in England, and was based in England.

Matthew

I know, that's where old Sam went to get the line going. Just trying to get a bit of a twist on the mother country, being a colonial and all.

Since I'm from the colonies, must I remain below decks?

Seriously, we get lovely brochures from Cunard and if there was a way we could have managed the additional time required, would have sailed QM2 back home from Southampton rather than putting up with an international flight. Some day we will try another cruise line. I've always thought it would be X or HAL, but now Cunard is on the list. I try to get a sense of cruise lines from the posts on their respective boards. The comments I read here make me want to give Cunard a try.

I hope no one minds if I drop by from time to time.

Absolutely drop by...we love converts!! Especially if they have literary and poetic talents or if they're just plain a bit twisted!:rolleyes:

As to remaining below decks...didn't Matthew tell you that's where all us colonials have to do the rowing???:eek: being of Viking stock I remember it well from when we people used to row around all those places pillaging and otherwise making ourselves at home:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

'Cause I'm interested in QV...

...my boss booked her for next summer (I finally convinced her to book a cruise) and I'm considering doing the same the following year.

:)

So you boss will be a QV veteran before you? But you'll be loaded with insider information. ;)

And we'll be seeing more of you around here--welcome!

Well I don't want to be seen as badmouthing and there are a lot of good people everywhere but.............I sensed from the first posting what board was being talked about having been over there at one time in the past. There is a certain camaraderie over there too but I do sense that it is different. I'm just glad that there was no specific incident that pushed me away.

I returned to cruising big time after a lack-lustre first attempt (you don't even want to know who.....I never visit their board) and it was because of THAT line that I wanted to do cruise #3 and beyond. Fortunately for us that was on the QM2 and so the Cunard board has become my home for a couple of years now. I felt that I just never belonged there but as I became more comfortable in Cunard shoes I just stopped having the urges to wonder over to the other side. Sure I may do THAT line on a future cruise but I have to admit I am happy to plant my flag on Cunard and have found this the friendliest and most bizarre (in a good way:D ) group on CC. Classy does not necessarily mean stuffy. Vic....happy to hear you feel at home here too.

David

All hail Bram the peacemaker on that other thread. Mind you, that was shaping up for a cracking argument. Sorry, debate..............

The ONLY frustrating thing about the wonderful, wonderful raving loonie, sorry Cunard, board is that everytime a good row looks like brewing up (you know, the ones that end with the Moderator saying "well, what are you people like, never seen anything like it etc etc" the regulars step in and say "oh god, no ,we've done this thirty times before" and it stops.

BUT I HAVEN'T!!!!!!!

:D :D

"A" cat Madam!! I'll thank you to remember that, whilst I am a relative newcomer and have not yet been formally accorded the ultimate CC accolade of being threatened with assassination, Sir Martin is not the only cat around these parts.

Yours aye,

Stanley

PS - apropos of assassination, I'd just like to point out to anyone out there bent on caticide that my human is a steely-eyed, trained, professional killer (retd) and touch typist; and if I get so much as a whiff of a plot, I will send him round (accompanied by some of his chums from the Scottish Mafia) to bore you to death!!!

Eeek! Last thing I want to do is rile up a cat...forgivez-moi.

Did you say your name is Lord Stanley, like the Cup?

So just why is Cunard considered British when the line was, in fact, started by a Canadian?

(Thread drift). And yes, we're interested, too, ever since the great scrum in Edinburgh when 400 Cunarders and 900 Princessers converged on the Royal Mile, mixing freely amongst each other and driving our tour coordinators batty.

Who won?

I did that one, already. Oh God, I'm quoting myself.............. To the America, America tune:

Cunardians, Cunardians

Sailors of the Queens.

We cross the oceans mighty

On the best ships ever seen.

We all like gin and tonic

We all have silly laughs. (insert chorus of silly laughs)

We all wear dinner jackets

Even in the bath.

Our leader is Sir Martin

He is a talking cat.

He likes to meet the Captain

He likes to tell him that:

We're Cunardians, Cunardians

We all know lots about wine. (big finish now)

Cunardians, Cunardians

Cruisers of the Line.

What, please, is the America, America tune? Can someone hum a little of it for me? TIA

The colonies:eek: And they want to be onboard?:eek: Well, I suppose so. As long as they stay behind that locked gate and can't read the S word on the door:D

I hope no one minds if I drop by from time to time

We've never set out to deliberately offend anyone. I hope you will "drop in" and consider yourself part of the Cunard family:)

I know, that's where old Sam went to get the line going. Just trying to get a bit of a twist on the mother country, being a colonial and all.

Seriously, we get lovely brochures from Cunard and if there was a way we could have managed the additional time required, would have sailed QM2 back home from Southampton rather than putting up with an international flight. Some day we will try another cruise line. I've always thought it would be X or HAL, but now Cunard is on the list. I try to get a sense of cruise lines from the posts on their respective boards. The comments I read here make me want to give Cunard a try.

Gentle Cunarders, I hope you don't take offence if I recommend batty old Lord Spongebath to you (on condition of course that you call him that)? He does this line in conservative old-think, and then just when you think he's just another Bush-lovin' cousin (so unlike our cousins here), out pops a bit of new-think and a really funny line. I appointed him Sanest on the Princess Boards, obviously not much of a compliment. He's extraordinarily helpful to new cruisers.

Lord Spongebath: I bow to thee my saviour.

I see Matthew beat me to the answer. Samuel Cunard lived and worked in Halifax but my research leads me to believe he actually started the company that began the transatlantic mail run in England. So the company I must sadly report was British from day one.

Darn as I was hoping.............:D :D :D

David

What, please, is the America, America tune? Can someone hum a little of it for me? TIA

Oh crikey, help me out somebody. Starts "oh beautiful, oh something" and has the "America, America" bit in it. HELP! Big patriotic cousin tune, actually a great one, must be your Jerusalem which we in Scotland would like to love except for the "England" bit grrrrr.

I always remember the Hollywood Bridge over the River Kwai, a great great film, but which near the beginning has 500 kilt-swinging Highlanders marching cheerily into captivity singing "There'll always be an England". Baaaa-buuuuuuurrrrr.

In my head, there's a big orchestra and lots of choral stuff and it sounds fab as a self-piss take thing. Love the fact that the Cunardians get it.

Big loves from Scotland, where the bathroom has finally been fitted, although disconcerted to find there's only 2 inches clearance between me and the shower-head (I'm not short, gentle Cunard ladies. and you know what they say........).

Wow - talk about drift convergence..........

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archived