Underwater Sculpture Garden

pnut362

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SAW a beautiful movie of the underwater garden at dragon bay???

Would love to see it in person

Will be in Grenada in late January

Please tell me where it is

How to get there Taxi or water taxi ?how much?

How far from port

Any other info

Thanks

Michele

SAW a beautiful movie of the underwater garden at dragon bay???

Would love to see it in person

Will be in Grenada in late January

Please tell me where it is

How to get there Taxi or water taxi ?how much?

How far from port

Any other info

Thanks

Michele

They are at Moliniere which is a 15/20 minute drive from the ferry terminal. Would have to go by road.

• 8 months later...
I used the search but there's been nothing recently posted about this. Has anybody seen the underwater sculpture garden? Snorkeling or scuba?

Thanks,

Laura

We have snorkel and scuba dive here. I snorkel my dh dives. What would you like to know about it?? We were here in April and will be going back in December.

Laura

Thank you for replying, I was beginning to think nobody ever goes there! I'm a diver but the people I'm traveling with are not. They're worried they won't be able to see much from the surface and have been reading that it's creepy and looks like dead bodies. What kind of area is this set in? Is there any type of nearby reef or is it just the sculptures? Which company did you find to take you there?

Thanks,

Laura

Thank you for replying, I was beginning to think nobody ever goes there! I'm a diver but the people I'm traveling with are not. They're worried they won't be able to see much from the surface and have been reading that it's creepy and looks like dead bodies. What kind of area is this set in? Is there any type of nearby reef or is it just the sculptures? Which company did you find to take you there?

Thanks,

Laura

Laura, we charter a dive boat for 4 of us. They took us to 3 different dive sites. Only my dh dives so the rest of us were snorkeling. We all had a wonderful time. There was plenty of see for all of us. The sculptures are a little wired but it was fun trying to find them all. It was like a hide and seek. Now my dh had an easier time as he had a guide but us 3 of the surface we all yelling out I found one then someone else would yell out I found another one. We really did have a good time. They were wonderful outfit. There name was Native Spirit Scuba, will get back with you on their website but their email address is

info@nativespiritscuba.com

Laura

• 1 year later...

Hello - I am considering seeing the statues this November and was wondering if I could get some info from others who have done this about the experience. Also, how was the water clarity/visibility at this site. Some of the videos I have seen look kinda creepy and low viability.

Thank you,

Jessie

Gosh you're busy this evening Jessie :p

I would say the absolutely best way to experience the statues is to dive them as the majority are quite deep. Dive Grenada, Eco-Dive, Native Spirit are all good outfits for this.

However, for non-divers snorkeling is the next best thing. If I recall correctly the Circle of Children, woman kneeling, the bodies, writer at a desk and the cyclist are all visible from above even in medium clarity of water although they are tricky to spot.

As a living reef they are now the same colours as the reef they lie in and so sometimes are a bit hard to see. Visibility differs day by day. On the day I went it was fabulous and to be honest you could see the circle and the kneeling woman from the boat no problem but I would have missed the cyclist hugging the rocks if the guide on Seafaris hadn't pointed it out for me. You could always write to seafarisales@hotmail.com and ask her. I found her to be very honest in what she told me before the tour in terms of what we would experience

Actually we also had a turtle too as we were there in egg laying season so that was awesome. :D About half an hour of it was enough for me though.

Please be advised when I was in Granada the water was FREEZING cold .Last Jan 09.I recommend a suit even for snorkeling I could not even dip my toes BRRRRRRRRR

I asked they wanted 100$ to go there

:confused: Cold in the water. I guess it may feel that way when it is 90oF in the shade. I have to say I've only seen the divers in wet suits for the dives, never the snorkelers.

Is that US$ or EC$ and Who did you ask?

mmemichele - Hmmmm.... I have never heard of cold water in the Caribbean either! Looks like you are from Canada, it should feel like a warm bath down there any time of year to you eh? :)

Islandstar - thanks for the great info. We are still on the fence about what to do in Grenada, it is also a very short port/day for us. We wanted to get certified to dive before this trip but have not had time to squeeze it in so we are going to have to stick to snorkeling for now.

I know it depends on the day but how would you describe/compare the water at this island. The pics I have seen it looks darker... and not the color of the water I have seen at places like St. Thomas or Barbados. Just wondering if the bottom is giving it this look (even at the beach) or the water clarity.

Thanks again for all of you info :)

mmemichele - wow sorry it was a cold one for you - most unusual though - give it another go :o Also US$100 for a snorkel seems very steep to me?

How does the water look Jessie? As you quite rightly suggest it depends on what is underneath it (going on 3+ years experience living on and anchoring a catamaran here cruising the islands - a while ago though) as to the colour it is.

So Bahamas with all its beautiful sand gives you the aquamarine colour and the fantastic visibility (think Maldives for a visual). I guess the same goes for Barbados, Bermuda and all other coral-based, shallower, non-volcanic islands.

Grenada's water is very clear but because it is volcanic in origin it tends to have a black bottom (except for areas like Grande Anse beach etc) and therefore does not reflect as well from a side view. Grenada is also affected sometime by waters coming up from Trinidad and South America and can vary from deep blue to green depending on whether the Orinoco Delta has been inundated with floods. This can also affect the visibility...

I really do think I'll write a guide book for cruisers :D

Hope this helps

I really do think I'll write a guide book for cruisers :D

Hope this helps

Oh that would be great!!! :D LOL

I'm a boater too and in Florida the water doesn't look like it does in the Caribbean but it's more about the clarity than the bottom. I would never snorkel off the coast of Tarpon Springs where I live.

Are there any other beaches on the island that you could recommend with great snorkeling from shore?

Thank you again for the info!

mmemichele - I emailed Native Spirit and the do a 3 stop snorkel with lunch for $50 pp (1/2 day) that makes a stop at the sculptures. Might be another option for you to consider.

Jessie

Are there any other beaches on the island that you could recommend with great snorkeling from shore?

Jessie

Hmm to be honest since Ivan the shore snorkeling hasn't been that great unless you live on island and have time to visit some of the smaller coves and reefs off the south. For s cruising visitor i would suggest that Grande Anse actually has two quite good spots at both extremities of the beach.

Facing the water head as far left as you can go and snorkel off the cliffs. It's pretty good all along there. Theres a bar too for when you get outand fancy a drink. The normal vendors don't make it all the way along there. Ditto for the other end.... face the water and head right as far as you can go, past Jenny's place, and then you have to swim out to the point to some good reefs there.

I'm not promising a lot though but you will be away from the crowds arriving from the ship.

Islandstar - thank you again for the great info. We are still trying to decide between going to the underwater statues or just head to Grand Anse. Unfortunately this is such a short day for us.

Getting to Grand Anse from the cruise dock... do you know if there is a water taxi or should we just take a cab over there?

Archived