To Tahiti or Not to Tahiti...that is the question?

Cruise Junky

I’ve always wanted to go to Tahiti and was very saddened to see the Tahitian Princess pulling out as that was going to be our 09 vacation. I realize PG goes there, but ouch!...I can get a Mini Suite or even an Owners Suite on Princess for an Oceanview on PG. So the dilemma…. We are currently booked on the Grand Princess with a fabulous roll call group to the Greek Islands September 08, I have a great cabin, and great private excursions booked, the cruise is perfect. I would need to cancel this to book the 10 Day Tahitian Princess in October 08, or sacrifice another probably $3,000 – $4,000 (basically another vacation) to go on the Paul Gauguin in 09. Or, be satisfied with just Bora Bora and Papeete on the Millennium Auckland – Honolulu trip that we have booked for April 09.

What would you do? I’m so torn on cancelling Greece, it really is a perfect trip, leaving from Venice on our Wedding Anniversary. But Greece will be there in 09…will Tahiti?

Cruise Junky:

I thought you were booked on the TP for April 28/08???? Did you cancel that cruise?

I’ve always wanted to go to Tahiti and was very saddened to see the Tahitian Princess pulling out as that was going to be our 09 vacation. I realize PG goes there, but ouch!...I can get a Mini Suite or even an Owners Suite on Princess for an Oceanview on PG. So the dilemma…. We are currently booked on the Grand Princess with a fabulous roll call group to the Greek Islands September 08, I have a great cabin, and great private excursions booked, the cruise is perfect. I would need to cancel this to book the 10 Day Tahitian Princess in October 08, or sacrifice another probably $3,000 – $4,000 (basically another vacation) to go on the Paul Gauguin in 09. Or, be satisfied with just Bora Bora and Papeete on the Millennium Auckland – Honolulu trip that we have booked for April 09.

What would you do? I’m so torn on cancelling Greece, it really is a perfect trip, leaving from Venice on our Wedding Anniversary. But Greece will be there in 09…will Tahiti?

So will the TP. It returns to FP 12/2009. The Princess web site does not list any other sail dates beyond 12/2009 but I would think it won't go back for only one month. Cheers, Larry

So will the TP. It returns to FP 12/2009. The Princess web site does not list any other sail dates beyond 12/2009 but I would think it won't go back for only one month. Cheers, Larry

Where are you seeing 12/2009? The only thing listed for 09 for TP is the World Cruise in January where I think she ends up in Sweden. There's nothing on Princess's site for any sailings past May 09

Where are you seeing 12/2009? The only thing listed for 09 for TP is the World Cruise in January where I think she ends up in Sweden. There's nothing on Princess's site for any sailings past May 09

Actually there is. Check the link and look towards the bottom.

http://www.princess.com/pb/searchResults.do?time=189&trade=&duration=&cruiseType=&ship=TA&date=&orderBy=&filterBy=&pageOffset=

The third from the bottom shows a 10 day TP FP itinerary and the last date listed is 12/2009.

well maybe I need new contacts, but my screen says 08 not 09

Ship: Tahitian Princess

Embarkation Port: Papeete, Tahiti

Number of Days: 10 View Itinerary

Embarkation Date(s):

2008 - Oct 10 , Oct 20 , Oct 30 , Nov 09 , Nov 19 , Nov 29 , Dec 09

wizard-of-roz:

Would you please expound on the source for tyour information and statement that Tahiti and the Society Islands have a high crime rate? We have been there on cruises a total of five weeks during the time from early '02 till late'05, and were given to understand that the crime rate for most of this area is very low. I can't speak to Papeete's crime rate, which may be the rpoblem here, but as to the rest of the islands in this area we have been told that crime almost does not exist.

Verry cruious.

well maybe I need new contacts, but my screen says 08 not 09

Ship: Tahitian Princess

Embarkation Port: Papeete, Tahiti

Number of Days: 10 View Itinerary

Embarkation Date(s):

2008 - Oct 10 , Oct 20 , Oct 30 , Nov 09 , Nov 19 , Nov 29 , Dec 09

Perhaps lasik? LOL! The dates above clearly show Dec 09 as does the link. LOL!

Ok, thank you everyone for your input. What I've decided to do....and I say I cause I haven't broken the news to Hubby yet ;) is...not cancel Greece, I really can't do that, there's just too many perfect things about that trip...but I have put a deposit down on the final December 9th sailing of Tahitian Princess. Hubby and I work for the same company and our vacation year runs July 1st to June 30th so these both fall under the same vacation year, but I get 28 days and he gets 25 it's just might be an issue with A: money, and B: taking a holiday so close to the September one. This way we can hold off on cancelling Millennium until we have a clearer picture of what's happening in Tahiti in 09.

We are cruising the TP in April 08 and I am very interested in the post that talks about crime. I have traveled extensively and know that crime exists everywhere, some locations more than others. I have not heard that crime is such a problem in that area---- Could that poster please explain------

Thanks

[quote name='billie5']Just to set the record straight, Greece has certainly been around a lot longer than Tahiti or any of the Society Islands. None of those islands can be older than 5 million years, and Tahiti itself is probably less than 2 million years old. Definitely less than the Grecian peninsula. In fact, since dinosaur fossils have been found in Greece, it must be at least 65 million years old.

So sorry, rdsqsl, guess you were "absent that day in science class," as you say, when they discussed formation of atoll island chains.

Bill[/quote]I'll yield to your memory, since you were obviously there for both events.:D

I must admit, jcrandle, each morning when I wake up, it feels more and more like it.

Bill

PS: But I did once own some dinosaur eggs, so I was "almost there." Gave them to a museum, but first they were CAT-scanned. Turned out they had hatched -- the rock matrix obscured the baby dinos' exits -- which made me feel like a proud papa dino.

Archived