To Tahiti or Not to Tahiti...that is the question?

Cruise Junky

I’ve always wanted to go to Tahiti and was very saddened to see the Tahitian Princess pulling out as that was going to be our 09 vacation. I realize PG goes there, but ouch!...I can get a Mini Suite or even an Owners Suite on Princess for an Oceanview on PG. So the dilemma…. We are currently booked on the Grand Princess with a fabulous roll call group to the Greek Islands September 08, I have a great cabin, and great private excursions booked, the cruise is perfect. I would need to cancel this to book the 10 Day Tahitian Princess in October 08, or sacrifice another probably $3,000 – $4,000 (basically another vacation) to go on the Paul Gauguin in 09. Or, be satisfied with just Bora Bora and Papeete on the Millennium Auckland – Honolulu trip that we have booked for April 09.

What would you do? I’m so torn on cancelling Greece, it really is a perfect trip, leaving from Venice on our Wedding Anniversary. But Greece will be there in 09…will Tahiti?

We were in Tahiti nearly 20 years ago on a non-cruise vacation. My wife (then of 3 years) said Bora Bora was the most beautiful place she had ever been. She made me promise to bring her back for our 20th anniversary (July 2006). Needless to say we were on the Tahitian P to celebrate. Missed being in Bora Bora on our anniversary by 3 days. My wife got over it. :)

Ruins vs. rampant crime..ruins vs. rampant crime..ruins vs. rampant crime!

I know, I know the beauty of Tahiti can sometimes mask the other "stuff!" I also know that you can find crime in Greece but not to the extent of Tahiti.......

GEECE....GREECE....GREECE!!!!!! It's calling you.....GO!!!!!:p

It sounds like going to the Greek Isles for your anniversary cruise next year should go as planned, it sounds wonderful! Would you sail on the 'Millennium' and go to Tahiti in '09? (two times to Bora Bora would be twice as heavenly!).

We've sailed on the 'Paul Gauguin' twice and absolutely loved it, and it was worth every penny. And both times we had 'just' the Oceanview Stateroom...it's an amazing ship in the most beautiful part of the world I've been to, and you'd never miss the TP. Oceania Cruises may possibly enter the waters of French Polynesia, so there could be some alternatives in the future as well. Happy sailing! :)

I too, was planning on going on the TP in feb/mar 09. We already have the Panama Canal planned for nov/08 wiith lots of family members. So looks like we won't make Tahiti on the TP. Hopefully, some other ship will take the place of the TP. I can't afford the Paul G. cruise. Guess we will go to Hawaii in 09, I haven't been there yet.

It sounds like going to the Greek Isles for your anniversary cruise next year should go as planned, it sounds wonderful! Would you sail on the 'Millennium' and go to Tahiti in '09? (two times to Bora Bora would be twice as heavenly!).

We've sailed on the 'Paul Gauguin' twice and absolutely loved it, and it was worth every penny. And both times we had 'just' the Oceanview Stateroom...it's an amazing ship in the most beautiful part of the world I've been to, and you'd never miss the TP. Oceania Cruises may possibly enter the waters of French Polynesia, so there could be some alternatives in the future as well. Happy sailing! :)

Hi - no we'd cancel Millennium if we did TP. Millennium isn't quite the right itinerary for us, it's not enough of anything. Only two stops in New Zealand, only two in Tahiti and only two (the two I really don't care about going to again Hilo & Honolulu) in Hawaii. So that would be dropped if we did TP.

I keep thinking that Oceania might do something down there, they'd be perfect. How was the Ocean View on PG? I get sea sick and usually when I'm starting to feel the roll, If it can get out on the balcony and get some air I'm ok, which is why other than our first cruise, we've always had a balcony. The other option is one of the other Regent ships as part of their world cruise. The Auckland to LA looks nice, you at least get Moorea.

We were in Tahiti on the Pacific Princess 3 years ago. My DH and I thought it was overrated. Yes, there are beautiful places, but then again, there are lots of beautiful places in Hawaii too. The word Tahiti is the mystique; more in words than in actuality.

Below is a photo of over water bungalows in Bora Bora.

Pia (on the way to Hawaii again, next week)

BoraBora_LeMeridien1.jpeg

Ruins vs. rampant crime..ruins vs. rampant crime..ruins vs. rampant crime!

I know, I know the beauty of Tahiti can sometimes mask the other "stuff!" I also know that you can find crime in Greece but not to the extent of Tahiti.......

GEECE....GREECE....GREECE!!!!!! It's calling you.....GO!!!!!:p

Rampant crime? Please explain.

Greece has been around forever. Tahiti by far.

I was just reading the original press release and it does talk about the tahitian going back in future years...that's a good sign.

Princess outlines seasonal Tahiti deployment

25/4/2007

Tahitian Princess in 2008 will sail in French Polynesia from January through May and from October through December. The ship will contiue its 10-day roundtrips from Papeete to Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, Bora Bora and Moorea.

Princess Cruises has fulfilled its five-year obligation to French Polynesia, according to Maina Sage, minister of tourism and the environment, who added that the company will continue its partnership by returning in coming years.

Tahiti Tourisme ceo Dany Panero described the working relationship with Princess as ‘extremely professional and efficient.’

Princess began roundtrip cruising from Papeete through French Polynesia in 2002, when Tahitian Princess joined the fleet. Since then, the line has carried more than 135,000 passengers to the region on that ship alone. Other Princess vessels also visit French Polynesia.

As separately reported, Tahitian Princess will sail in Alaska during the summer next year, between its spring and fall seasons in French Polynesia.

Rampant crime? Please explain.

Greece has been around forever. Tahiti by far.

Um, hasn't Tahiti "been around" as long as Greece? Or was I absent that day in science class. . .

If Tahiti is on Princess's menu for the future, then my vote would be to stick with the Med cruise you've got booked. And, yes indeed, what a delightful dilemma to have!

Just my humble opinion, but I'd go for Tahiti any time. We've been there 3 times and would go back. One of the best trips was 8 years ago on Renaissance III (now known as Oceania) and it was fabulous beyond description. Never noticed any crime, maybe we were just lucky and it might have been helpful that French is my first language, so we felt very much at home there.

At this point in time, with the dollar at an all-time low, and even though I was born in Europe and grew up there, I'd avoid Europe altogether. Just my own gut feeling!

At this point in time, with the dollar at an all-time low, and even though I was born in Europe and grew up there, I'd avoid Europe altogether. Just my own gut feeling!

You bring up an interesting point with the Dollar.... the Canadian Dollar is at an all time high against the Euro, so for us, it's not a factor. It's also at a 30 year high against the US $ so either way, it shouldn't really be a factor.

Cruise Junky - I refuse to give my opinion' date=' as I fear I may be biased!:rolleyes:

You would be missed! While I understand your dilema, I would hate to see you "jump ship" on us! Nejat awaits![/quote']

Well hello there :) It would really break my heart to cancel Greece...it's just so perfect. And with some roll calls you can just tell that you're going to have a great time and make some great friends. I feel that our roll call has that. I need to make my mind up in the next three weeks as Frequent Flyer flights will be opening for Greece and I have enough for one flight...I'm really leaning towards not cancelling Greece and trying to find some alternative for Tahiti in 09. Hopefully someone comes up with a great itinerary, or we just go in an Ocean View on the Paul Gauguin.

Greece has always been there/will always be there. And hopefully someday the US$ v. the Euro will be better too. No question at all...do Tahiti. We're booked to do the B2B on the TP next February for our 25th anniversary year and will have to cancel, which is an incredible disappointment given that we won't be able to do those two itineraries (Cook Islands/Marquesas) again at the relatively reasonable TP prices. Not only is the PG so much more expensive, but I won't travel that far for a 7 night cruise, and adding a land stay only makes it more exorbitant (I paid $45 for lunch in Moorea - for me, alone.)

As for the beauty of the area...we've twice been to Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora on the transpacific cruises, and I can only say that Bora Bora has to be the most beautiful place on earth.

Cruise Junky

From one DINK to another, here's my humble opinion:

If Tahiti is something that you've been dreaming about, but say "ouch" to Radisson - then go for the TP now. DH and I had also been dreaming about Tahiti for a long time but also felt the pinch of Radisson. We had finally booked the Dawn Princess for the Tahiti - Hawaii thing (not really what we had wanted), when Princess brought out the TP. We immediately switched and LOVED every minute of it. We had an "affordable" balcony on the TP and still talk about the sunrises we enjoyed every day. You know that you will be able to find another affordable/enjoyable cruise to Greece in the future, but who knows about getting to Tahiti? Have a great time whatever you do.

Tammy

I’ve always wanted to go to Tahiti and was very saddened to see the Tahitian Princess pulling out as that was going to be our 09 vacation. I realize PG goes there, but ouch!...I can get a Mini Suite or even an Owners Suite on Princess for an Oceanview on PG. So the dilemma…. We are currently booked on the Grand Princess with a fabulous roll call group to the Greek Islands September 08, I have a great cabin, and great private excursions booked, the cruise is perfect. I would need to cancel this to book the 10 Day Tahitian Princess in October 08, or sacrifice another probably $3,000 – $4,000 (basically another vacation) to go on the Paul Gauguin in 09. Or, be satisfied with just Bora Bora and Papeete on the Millennium Auckland – Honolulu trip that we have booked for April 09.

What would you do? I’m so torn on cancelling Greece, it really is a perfect trip, leaving from Venice on our Wedding Anniversary. But Greece will be there in 09…will Tahiti?

Your ticker shows you have the Crown scheduled in 6 months......I'd swap that for the Tahitian....;)

Your ticker shows you have the Crown scheduled in 6 months......I'd swap that for the Tahitian....;)

Ah, smarty pants....I already thought about that...but pricewise, can't swing it. Balcony on Crown was $1,000 pp...and air was $760 pp. We were just looking for a quick getaway for a week. If we switched that to Tahiti... Balcony $2,000 pp and air of $1,600 pp...no longer a cheap getaway :)...and it's more than 5 days vacation time which he doesn't have...so $3,400 vs $7,200 or...more than double....and to be honest, I've also always wanted to go to St. Lucia and the crown covers that.

Just to set the record straight, Greece has certainly been around a lot longer than Tahiti or any of the Society Islands. None of those islands can be older than 5 million years, and Tahiti itself is probably less than 2 million years old. Definitely less than the Grecian peninsula. In fact, since dinosaur fossils have been found in Greece, it must be at least 65 million years old.

So sorry, rdsqsl, guess you were "absent that day in science class," as you say, when they discussed formation of atoll island chains.

Bill

The TP is a short time prospect for Tahiti at the moment while good trips to Greece will continue to be plentiful for years to come. Tahiti is an experience to behold and should be visited before it becomes over commercialized like Hawaii. I would reschedule Greece.

Definitely less than the Grecian peninsula.

Please tell me that I"m not the only one who thought of the old poem "Ode to a Grecian Urn" when the term "Grecian" comes out?

(Then, comes the even older joke: "what's a grecian urn? - oh, about 5 drachmas an hour..")

Archived