Miami Hotels - safe areas??

KRD

I am gong on a cruise with my 6 yr old daughter this Fall. We are planning to spend one night pre-cruise in Miami.

I decided to go online and look at some reviews of the hotels that RCI has on line and in their brochure.

From all the reviews on line none of the hotels appear to be decent. The one I had originally booked had a blogger post that the room was broken into while they were sleeping.

I am looking at spending $200 or more a night to stay in a less than safe area?

Am I being overly cautious???

If it was just me, I would not care, but I do not want to be paranoid all night trying to sleep with my 6 yr old in tow.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ok now you have my attention...lol. Which hotel had the blog where the person's room was broken in to? Inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

As far as feeling safe. We've stayed at Bayside across from where the ships are in port and we've never felt unsafe. I do remember having a letter on our bed at Holiday Inn (this was a few years ago) and it gave a list of safety precautions to take (not flashing money DUH, wearing alot of jewelry, etc)

We have honestly never felt unsafe in Miami. But we might just be naive.

I don't know that anyplace is very "safe" in Miami. Lots of folks like to stay in the Coconut Grove area. I prefer downtown at a 3 or 4 star hotel. And I do not go out at night. You can try biddingfortravel.com for information regarding how to get hotels on priceline, which is what I usually do. I book a backup hotel that I can cancel if/when I get a good deal on either Priceline or Hotwire. You should be OK with 3 or 4 star hotels. I just got the Radisson downtown, 3 star, for $55 on Priceline. Plus taxes and fees it is $71. Beats the website Expedia price of $224!

Crusinmama 06 and August39 .....

It is the Radisson and I read it on tripadvisor after I booked the room......what to do!? I have all transfers included as well and I am paying $200+ per night....

August39 did you stay there already?

Any suggestions?

Having just moved from Miami, I can tell you it can be a very unsafe place to be. I would say Coconut Grove, or maybe North Miami Beach are a better, safer area. Bayside is okay, but it also has its moments. I wouldn't stay downtown, but if I had to, I would definetly not go out at night. It can get very dangerous at night in the city of Miami. Just my opinion, and I'm sure many people love it, but its best to be alert when you're there.

Please don't let this isolated incident (although of course, there are more, undoubtedly) haunt you. Miami is an incredible city with so much to offer. You will be careful, as you would be anywhere, and not call attention to yourself or your money. Take cabs after dark - do not use the free monorail system at night.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami and the Marriott Biscayne Bay, both great places, and we felt safe and secure both times.

You can use the search function here to find out about other hotels in Miami (there are literally dozens, maybe hundred of threads already) and make an informed decision. You'll find one that suits you and your family.

Have a great cruise too! :)

I'm so sorry you are feeling apprehensive about the hotel portion of your vacation. We have children too and of course, want them to always be safe. As a parent, I understand your concern.

For us, the pre-cruise hotel stay is one of the most exciting parts of our trip. The last two times, in the hotels I mentioned above, we were able to reserve rooms that overlooked the pier, and it is certainly exciting to see the Port of Miami and see "your" ship coming in, knowing you will be onboard in a few hours! I do recommend the Marriott - it was incredible. Please feel free to see my pics in my signature - there are a few of the hotel.

Take care,

Karen

We stayed at the Radisson on Feb. We rode the monorail to Bayside during daylight. We were told it was safe during daylight. We had dinner(Bubba Gump's) and shopped a little at Bayside Marketplace then walked 5 minutes to the Intercontinental to meet some people from our M&M group for a drink. We were told not to take the monorail back to the Radisson. We got a cab for the 5 minute ride. It was $10 with tip.

If I was you, I'd take a cab to Bayside, have fun there with your daughter and then take a cab back to the Radisson. Marketplace is a very busy public area and you should not have to worry about being there.

I am gong on a cruise with my 6 yr old daughter this Fall. We are planning to spend one night pre-cruise in Miami.

I decided to go online and look at some reviews of the hotels that RCI has on line and in their brochure.

From all the reviews on line none of the hotels appear to be decent. The one I had originally booked had a blogger post that the room was broken into while they were sleeping.

I am looking at spending $200 or more a night to stay in a less than safe area?

Am I being overly cautious???

If it was just me, I would not care, but I do not want to be paranoid all night trying to sleep with my 6 yr old in tow.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I stayed in the Marriott on 9/8 and 9/16 - 9/18. It was completely safe and I had a great time. I don't remember the exact address (can get that when I get home), but it was right there by Bayside. You could look further down and see the ships in port. They even provided a shuttle ride to the port for dirt cheap.

The first time I was there, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Coral Gables; that was a nice area too but just a "tad" further away from the port. Completely safe and nice to walk around during the evening. I had a romantic dinner, went dancing, floated on my back in the pool while looking up at the stars. I won't forget that night.

We stayed at the Radisson on Feb. We rode the monorail to Bayside during daylight. We were told it was safe during daylight. We had dinner(Bubba Gump's) and shopped a little at Bayside Marketplace then walked 5 minutes to the Intercontinental to meet some people from our M&M group for a drink. We were told not to take the monorail back to the Radisson. We got a cab for the 5 minute ride. It was $10 with tip.

If I was you, I'd take a cab to Bayside, have fun there with your daughter and then take a cab back to the Radisson. Marketplace is a very busy public area and you should not have to worry about being there.

I agree that Bayside is a fun place to walk around. There's even a Hard Rock Cafe. Fun clubs and pubs there, drinks are a bit expensive depending on which one you go to, but you're with your daughter so nevermind.

You can check out some of the yachts too.

the Biscayne Bay Marriott is at 1633 N Bayshore Drive...it isn't RIGHT by Bayside...it is very near the Radisson (a few blocks max)..they had a cheap suttle to Bayside iirc...bayside is about 1.5 miles from the Marriott according to Marriott.com

the marriott is pretty nice....you can see the ships....it's getting to the point where it is ready for a redo....but it isn't yucky.

I wouldn't walk anyplace after dark...a couple months ago i was in the financial area at the JW Marriott which is gorgeous...you can't see anything, but the hotel was great....there isn't too much around...also coconut grove is a nice area..and i did walk around at night over there...

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside, and really felt safe. I am currently booked to stay there in 10 days, but am looking maybe to switch. The reason why is our flight time was changed that we don't arrive in Miami until midnight! Has anyone ever stayed at the Howard Johnson by the airport? I figure, it is closer to the airport and since we have such a late arrival, all we need is a place to sleep! I appreciate any comments.

Thanks

I'm so sorry you are feeling apprehensive about the hotel portion of your vacation. We have children too and of course, want them to always be safe. As a parent, I understand your concern.

For us, the pre-cruise hotel stay is one of the most exciting parts of our trip. The last two times, in the hotels I mentioned above, we were able to reserve rooms that overlooked the pier, and it is certainly exciting to see the Port of Miami and see "your" ship coming in, knowing you will be onboard in a few hours! I do recommend the Marriott - it was incredible. Please feel free to see my pics in my signature - there are a few of the hotel.

Take care,

Karen

Which room? I agree that the view was amazing if you got the correct side of the hotel (from the elevator, take a right down the hallway and your room is on the left-hand side). Seeing the Freedom was certainly exciting.

the Biscayne Bay Marriott is at 1633 N Bayshore Drive...it isn't RIGHT by Bayside...it is very near the Radisson (a few blocks max)..they had a cheap suttle to Bayside iirc...bayside is about 1.5 miles from the Marriott according to Marriott.com

the marriott is pretty nice....you can see the ships....it's getting to the point where it is ready for a redo....but it isn't yucky.

I wouldn't walk anyplace after dark...a couple months ago i was in the financial area at the JW Marriott which is gorgeous...you can't see anything, but the hotel was great....there isn't too much around...also coconut grove is a nice area..and i did walk around at night over there...

Ok, so Bayside is a five minute stroll or so. Sue me! ;)

Honestly, I was catching up with friends so the time we spent on the walk just flew by.

Ok, so Bayside is a five minute stroll or so. Sue me! ;)

Honestly, I was catching up with friends so the time we spent on the walk just flew by.

nah.....that would be a frivolous lawsuit.......i was just trying to be helpful...a mile and a half walk is far for some and around the corner for others...sheesh......can't win for losin around here.

Please don't let this isolated incident (although of course, there are more, undoubtedly) haunt you. Miami is an incredible city with so much to offer. You will be careful, as you would be anywhere, and not call attention to yourself or your money. Take cabs after dark - do not use the free monorail system at night.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami and the Marriott Biscayne Bay, both great places, and we felt safe and secure both times.

You can use the search function here to find out about other hotels in Miami (there are literally dozens, maybe hundred of threads already) and make an informed decision. You'll find one that suits you and your family.

Have a great cruise too! :)

Ok, so what's so bad about the monorail at night? Granted, I haven't experienced it, but I grew up in New York and rode the subway so I can't see Miami as much different.

Ok, so what's so bad about the monorail at night? Granted, I haven't experienced it, but I grew up in New York and rode the subway so I can't see Miami as much different.

Ok I live in a town which hasn't had a murder in years and the biggest town next to us had one in all of 2006. I am betting the New York subway AND the monorail would be a shock to my senses. ;)

Archived