Tauranga tour - 04 Feb 08

jalaw

Four of us are sailing on Celebrity Mercury and will be docked in Tauranga on 04 Feb 08. We are booked with Mount Classics and are looking for 2 more people to join us on this tour. Here is our itinerary:

0800 Depart Ship [we meet you at the gangway]. Drive via the main Mount Maunganui ocean beach for great seascape views. Then drive across the Harbour bridge through Tauranga city centre

0930 Stop at KIWI360 to see Kiwifruit centre [free entry] enjoy tasting some kiwi products, see the orchards and climb the big Kiwi.

1015 Continue to Rotorua, around the lake, stopping at Lake Rotoiti for photos.

1100 Arrive TePuia ($50.00NZD pp) geothermal valley park, take a walk to see the mudpools, geyers, kiwi birds, flax weaving and wood carving then take seats for 12.15 Maori culture show.

1300 Next to the Government Gardens, location of the famous Bath House, Blue Baths etc, the first Park in NZ. Time to sit and enjoy picnic in the gardens or snack at the Museum cafe. (The government gardens in the centre of Rotorua is a great location, the 1st public garden in NZ. There is a cafe at the Rotorua museum [in the gardens] so you can either buy things there and eat out on their terrace or take out to the gardens. If weather is not so good there's some indoor options.)

1415 Depart Rotorua for Longridge Fun Park.

1445 Arrive Longridge JET boat, $85.00NZD pp .

1530 Depart Longridge and arrive back at ship at 1600.

The two admission fees are in addition to the price quoted for the van and driver of $720 NZ, which would work out to $120 NZ/pp for six people.

Please email (ja.law@comcast.net) if you are interested in joining us.

Joyce

don't worry about filling up. we met some people waiting to get off the ship who reserved a van and we managed to fill it easily at the pier by just approaching other cruisers who were disembarking. also you will meet people on the cruise (at dinner for example and can easily get just 2 more). we had a great day with Mt Classic.

Thanks JDecther - good to know that we can easily find 2 more people to fill the van, even after the cruise begins.

And thanks Sandy. I actually got the tour info from the Preisman's fantastic report - the tour does sound wonderful - just a bit pricey. Thus looking for 2 more to share.

Joyce

• 4 weeks later...
It LOOKS pricey...but the prices are in NZ dollars...it really isn't as bad as it looks. I sent Mt Classic a $250 deposit which posted to my account as $152.

Sheila

Joyce, I have to agree with Sheila. The Independent Tours are CHEAP. Plus you see double the attractions at half the price of the Cruise ships tours ;) I believe there is no problem picking up the extras onboard or shipside.

ENJOY ...... Smooth Sailing :p

B E V

It LOOKS pricey...but the prices are in NZ dollars...it really isn't as bad as it looks. I sent Mt Classic a $250 deposit which posted to my account as $152.Sheila

Depends on the date it was converted. Currency is fluctuating day by day.Heres todays rate

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

250.00 New Zealand Dollar = 192.450 US Dollar

• 2 weeks later...
way to go jalaw....we booked the 9 hour tour from the ship on the same cruise you're on, and it was $220 CDN per person, so you're getting a great deal! Hope we get to meet you on the ship, it sounds like a great cruise

Good to hear! We've adjusted our Tauranga itinerary with Mount Classics a bit, due to a recent bad attack of vertigo! I don't think it wise to go on a spinning jet boat ride! Instead, we will visit another geothermal valley called "Wai-O-Tapu" with the Lady Knox geyser.

We have found 2 people to join us, and could save money if 2 more joined us. The cost of the guide and car for 8 hours is $720 NZ, so with 8 people, we are talking only $90 NZ pp, plus the admission fees. Let me know if you're interested in joining us and I'll send the details of our revised itinerary and admission costs.

Joyce

ja.law@comcast.net

Depends on the date it was converted. Currency is fluctuating day by day.Heres todays rate

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

250.00 New Zealand Dollar = 192.450 US Dollar

Due to the rapidly falling value of USD, I ordered $1000 NZD (@.80) plus $500 AUD (@.96) from my bank on 10/25. Even with the $8 delivery charge, I think I'll come out ahead by February.

Joyce

Good to hear! We've adjusted our Tauranga itinerary with Mount Classics a bit, due to a recent bad attack of vertigo! I don't think it wise to go on a spinning jet boat ride! Instead, we will visit another geothermal valley called "Wai-O-Tapu" with the Lady Knox geyser.

Joyce

ja.law@comcast.net

Tena korua,

Wai o tapu, which is just off the Rotorua Taupo highway about 20 minutes drive from Rotorua, is a good choice. A good variety of boiling mud pools, warm water streams, hot springs etc with some amazing colours. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Kia ora ki a Rotorua

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

Tena korua,

Wai o tapu, which is just off the Rotorua Taupo highway about 20 minutes drive from Rotorua, is a good choice. A good variety of boiling mud pools, warm water streams, hot springs etc with some amazing colours. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Kia ora ki a Rotorua

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

We were just there two weeks ago and agree, it is a good choice. The champagne pool is facinating and don't forget to check out the Devil's Pool (yuck). You'll never forget the smell! :-)

There is also a very nice gift shop there and the 10:15 forced eruption of the Lady Knox geyser is just a minute or two away. Get there early - the benches fill up quickly, especially the best spots for taking photos. There is a guide there to explain the history and process for forcing the geyser.

check out also if you have time a drive through tauranga itself.

we hired a car and did a wide range of things but wished we had more time to visit what looks like a beautiful little spot.

we didnt want to miss the ship sailing!!!

Archived