So Much for Honesty!

OceanDreamin

Thank you everyone - or most everyone anyway:cool: - for your thoughts and comments. I ended up NOT handing that letter over to the Principal last night. I'm just going to take the Truant letter and not worry about it (too much) because I know she is not going to be a chronic truant.

This trip is the first time my brother and I have taken a vacation together since we were children, and will also be the longest amount of time that DD will ever have spent at one time with her uncle. That's worth a truancy.

For the last 3-1/2 years DD has been going to a wonderful Montessori school, who did not BLINK when I pulled DD out to go on a vacation. This cruise was scheduled and paid for BEFORE I enrolled her in public school. I am having a very hard time adjusting to the inflexibility of the big, evil School District.:rolleyes:

A previous poster indicated that with the No Child Left Behind Act, low scoring schools are being particularly tough on attendance. I think my DD's school has the opposite situation. They are a VERY high achieving school, and are creeping closer to a 900 API score, and are eligible this year for the Blue Ribbon Achievement Award (that's what they said last night at back-to-school night). I guess they want perfect attendance and fantastic performance from all the kids so they get that coveted award.

For the record, I did notify the teacher nearly a month ago about this vacation and asked her to send the work home, so I'm not springing it on her at the last minute. I also mentioned last night when I spoke w/the teacher at back-to-school night that I would be willing to come on Friday after we get back and pick up the work from her, if that would be easier.

I get that it's not a great idea to pull my child out of school for a week. Especially since it is such a high-achieving school, they teach the kids a LOT in a week. My DD is thankfully doing very well, and I think that I can help her catch up on whatever concepts she missed over the week, so I don't feel it will harm my DD academically (or the school's precious test scores).

I just think it is a stupid, bureaucratic idocy to limit Independent Study to vacations WITHIN the United States, especially in a School District so close to the U.S./Mexico border. What if we were going to Alaska? That is a U.S. State, but we'd have to fly over a foreign country to get there. Would that be acceptable?:rolleyes: Sorry, I just get sarcastic when I'm mad.

I have a high school freshman, middle schooler, 6th grade, and 4th grader. Principals are not that happy about it (probably a money issue, funding) but every teacher we have had said...GO...have a great time, you will learn so much more on the cruise!!

I am just curious, but what exactly is learned on a Disney South Caribbean cruise :confused: that is comparable to what a child would learn in school over a 2 week period of time? It is amazing that a teacher (especially high school or middle school) would tell you that your kids would learn more on a 2 week vacation/cruise than in school. Kind of a sad commentary on the quality of education being provided...

People with this mindset just truly amaze me, but it is none of my business as long as I am not expected to participate in issuing school excuses.

I am just curious, what would be the maximum number of days in a school year you would feel justified removing your children from school

for vacations and "family time"?

I am just curious, but what exactly is learned on a Disney South Caribbean cruise :confused: that is comparable to what a child would learn in school over a 2 week period of time? It is amazing that a teacher (especially high school or middle school) would tell you that your kids would learn more on a 2 week vacation/cruise than in school. Kind of a sad commentary on the quality of education being provided...

People with this mindset just truly amaze me, but it is none of my business as long as I am not expected to participate in issuing school excuses.

I am just curious, what would be the maximum number of days in a school year you would feel justified removing your children from school

OMG! :eek: Kids learn all about different cultures!!! Especially in more poverty ridden areas like Mexico!

How many times have you gotten shore excursion transportation, in a port of call, and ridden by dilapidated housing, open aired housing, etc...? I, for one, can say that my shore excurse's in both Jamaica and Mexico have provided me a glimpse into the lifestyle, culture and poverty level of those countries!

In certain (lots of) ports of call the children can visit Mayan Ruins!

In most ports of call you can identify souvenirs that are handcrafted locally, using products that are abundant to the region, and tie this into the local economy. Open air fruit stands that have a majority of the same type of fruit (pineapple, coffee, banana) offer the same opportunity to discuss local/state economy.

At the very least, speaking with the child about housing/medical/poverty conditions can open a childs eyes to the difference between living "here" and living in the U.S.

Most young children, especially those whos' parents can afford to cruise, dont have and idea that other kids live any differently than they do.

Kids think that every familial life is just like their own.

Now, I'm not trying to justify taking a cruise over going to school - but sometimes life lessons are equally as important as book knowledge!

DD will be missing 2.5 days just before Thanksgiving for our Meditteranean cruise. She is in sixth grade. This summer prior to booking the cruise, I contacted her Middle School principal and her teachers to verify whether they foresaw any problems or issues.

My father passed away early in August (cancer) -- he had suffered from mild dementia and had lived with our family the past few years. Between work and the responsibilities that came with dealing with being my father's caretaker, a vacation at any time - let alone planning one to coincide with my DD's summer break really wasn't an option. As others have stated in this thread and similar threads -- don't be judging anyone's motives as to the timing of their family's vacation -- while there may be some families who could travel during breaks, but do not simply because they get a better price or places are less busy during the school year, there are many of us who have a myriad of reasons why we need to travel when we do.

Her Social Studies class is studying "ancient civilizations" and will be in their Greek unit -- so let's think reading about the Acropolis versus visiting the Acropolis? Tough call :) !

In Lit, they will start "The Thief Lord" the day after Thanksgiving vacation -- it is set in Venice. Teacher indicated her only Lit homework would be taking pictures of several of the spots mentioned in the book!

DD is in a "self-directed" seventh grade math (and second in her class) the only difference in her independent study math at school versus doing it on the plane is I'llhave to try to help her if she has any questions (eek!).

Her science teacher just left on maternity leave (a little boy) and will still be out while DD is out. (Gee, I guess Kidznp may need to get on that teacher's case -- couldn't she have planned her pregnancy to have her leave coincide with summer break??)

Two years ago we took her out of school for two days at the same time of year for our Hawaii cruise. Her 4th-grade teachers recently called to see if it was ok to use her Power Point presentation that featured pictures she took at Volcano National Park and research she did while at the park.

But beyond the educational merits of any trip, the value of a family spending time together is worth it. The values learned of hard-work and responsiblity that any student who is required to "make up" work missed in order to go on vacation, also have merit.

As to the OP, talk to the principal again -- indicate that this family trip is important - that you cannot cancel and that you will not abandon one of your children to a babysitter for the duration of the trip just so she does not miss school, that you refuse to lie and or have your child lie, and you will thus need to take the "Truency Notice" -- and make it clear that if the school will offer the independent study, that you will take it and will make certain that all requirements are fufilled. Indicate that you understand that a truency notice is also a "black mark" against the school and against her and that you are willing to work with her in any manner to make this work for everyone.

This whole thread is beginning to tick me off and I'm sure a lot of other people too :mad:

Your children are YOUR responsibility not the schools. This no child left behind caca is for the birds in my opinion. I as a parent and having family members that are teachers/principals, have seen it hold more children back but that's another story.

Family time and the added "culture" is a benefit. How often is it said parents don't spend enough time with their children? PLUS I know from personal experience those family trips as a child made to the Smithsonian, historical towns and various battle sites around the US enhanced my love of history.

My geography knowledge is lacking, maybe it's because I never left the country :D

Unless a child is a POOR student and misses frequently I feel there is NO reason they can't be taken out of school for a family vacation. The pluses for the child FAR outweigh any negatives.

My 14 year old nephew is going with us on our upcoming cruise during Thanksgiving. Yes, he's going to miss 3 days of school. But the kid has never been on a vacation his entire life unless you want to count amusement parks. Also, since he lives in a little town of 3,000 people this cruise, I'm sure, will most definitely expand his world. It will also be time spent with family (Grandparents, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles).

As to the OP, talk to the principal again -- indicate that this family trip is important - that you cannot cancel and that you will not abandon one of your children to a babysitter for the duration of the trip just so she does not miss school, that you refuse to lie and or have your child lie, and you will thus need to take the "Truency Notice" -- and make it clear that if the school will offer the independent study, that you will take it and will make certain that all requirements are fufilled. Indicate that you understand that a truency notice is also a "black mark" against the school and against her and that you are willing to work with her in any manner to make this work for everyone.

Apparently it is not the Principal's policy about no Independent Study if leaving the country, it is the School District's policy. Since she already knows we are going on a cruise to Mexico, there is really nothing she can do. I was going to play with words and strongly IMPLY that DD was not leaving the country without actually saying that, but I'm afraid of being caught in the lie. I am going to stick it out with my honesty, head held high, and face the consequences, such as they are. It's great modeling for my DD. How can I expect DD to grow up to be an honest person if her Mom lies to avoid consequences?

Apparently it is not the Principal's policy about no Independent Study if leaving the country, it is the School District's policy. Since she already knows we are going on a cruise to Mexico, there is really nothing she can do. I was going to play with words and strongly IMPLY that DD was not leaving the country without actually saying that, but I'm afraid of being caught in the lie. I am going to stick it out with my honesty, head held high, and face the consequences, such as they are. It's great modeling for my DD. How can I expect DD to grow up to be an honest person if her Mom lies to avoid consequences?

Good choice. I agree with other posters that kids shouldn't be taken out of school for a cruise or any vacation. I don't think it helps them form work ethics they will need later in life, if they just think they can do whatever whenever they want regardless of the rules. Granted you are the parent, and it's your wish that they accompany you on this trip, but I'm glad to see you are at least owning up to the responbility for your actions, and as you say that will teach the child there are consequences for their actions.

Good choice. I agree with other posters that kids shouldn't be taken out of school for a cruise or any vacation.

That's surprising. And I don't mean that in a bad way...lol. By looking at your signature and seeing how much you have traveled, now I have to ask...if you are AGabbyMama and you have a gabby girl...does she not travel with you? Maybe she's older?

Good choice. I agree with other posters that kids shouldn't be taken out of school for a cruise or any vacation. I don't think it helps them form work ethics they will need later in life, if they just think they can do whatever whenever they want regardless of the rules. Granted you are the parent, and it's your wish that they accompany you on this trip, but I'm glad to see you are at least owning up to the responbility for your actions, and as you say that will teach the child there are consequences for their actions.

Actually I told DD that she will have to EARN the privelege of going on this vacation by working harder before and after. Usually she does not have homework on Friday or over the weekends. I told her that she will have to make up all of her work for the week she's gone this Friday night, Saturday and Sunday and then next Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday after our cruise, if need be, to get it finished. I also told her we will bring books with on the cruise so she still gets her reading time in every day, and can keep up on her reading log. I told her at work, I have to work like crazy to get caught up before I go, and then when I come back, I come back to a huge pile of work on my desk that I have to catch up on. She has to do the same, so that she can enjoy her trip. I am trying to teach her a work-ethic too.

Just FYI, I know of a NUMBER of TEACHERS who take personal days to take their own children to Disney World!!! (Different message board)

Family time is more important than anything. A strong family tie, great family experiences, lead to happy strong adults in the future.

In the messed up world that we live in? Life is too short. There are worse things to be concerned with than a child being pulled out of school for a family vacation.

I will spend quality time with my kids, and yes, that means a vacation from time to time during the school year. What teaches them responsibility if we do this?? THey know they will have school work to COMPLETE, part of the deal.

Oh, and my 12 yr old DD, on the honor roll every year. :) (other 2 kids are too young, Kindergarten, preschool ;) )

It could be that the principal is strictly going by policy. Is it possible that if you approach her again and say "Hey let's start over. My daughter is going on vacation to Catalina Island. Can I now get Independent Study?" It could be that your principal needs the correct "language" in order to excuse you. That maybe she's willing to forget about the first letter if she has a different one on record. Her hands are tied because your letter said "Mexico" and there's nothing she can do about it. But she could be the type of person who just wants a letter that says "Catalina". You never know if you don't try. But I also agree that the truancy letter (as awful as it sounds) is probably no big deal.

And can I just say, I'm in the process of letting my school know about my son's absense next month. I've never taken him out before and I don't know anyone who has taken out of this school so I don't know how they're going to react. I did just send an email to his teacher. And will write a letter to the office. I wanted it done a month before, but I didn't quite make it. I'm going back and forth on what to say and I'm just nervous about what the response will be. I'm hoping I'll get a positive email back from the teacher. My son's in 1st grade too so he's not missing much--and only 3-1/2 days.

Just FYI, I know of a NUMBER of TEACHERS who take personal days to take their own children to Disney World!!! (Different message board)

Family time is more important than anything. A strong family tie, great family experiences, lead to happy strong adults in the future.

In the messed up world that we live in? Life is too short. There are worse things to be concerned with than a child being pulled out of school for a family vacation.

I will spend quality time with my kids, and yes, that means a vacation from time to time during the school year. What teaches them responsibility if we do this?? THey know they will have school work to COMPLETE, part of the deal.

Oh, and my 12 yr old DD, on the honor roll every year. :) (other 2 kids are too young, Kindergarten, preschool ;) )

I agree whole heartedly! My sister, who just turned 40 and has an 11 year old son, has recently begun battling a nasty, aggressive form of brain cancer. She used to be strongly opinionated about not taking kids out of school for vacations. Her tune has changed now that she has a few years (if that) left of her life. She wishes she had taken her son on some of her adventures. She missed those opportunities with him, and will never get that back.

Anyone who ever lectures me about the importance of my kid being in school all year long will get an ear full. Dh and I are highly educated and we certainly value education, but we also value family and bonding. If we get an opportunity for a vacation and that vacation happens to fall during the school year, I don't think I will worry too much about the school. We would only do it once a year, if that, but if there's an opportunity, we'll go for it. Anyone who wants to tell me that the only education my kids get is in the classroom will also get an ear full! I am a stay at home mom and supplement school work with all sorts of materials and activities. I have taken a break from work so that I can help educate my kids. Education is important, but there are other things that are important too. Just ask my sister!

I am taking my kids out in Jan. 08 four a week to go on a cruise and I have already talked to thier principles and teachers and they had no problem with it. My daughter's prin. did say that he could not excuse the absences but that he looked at her attendance record and that it should not be a problem. Just FYI.

OP - I like how you decided to handle the situation. Speaking of teaching lessons, you are teaching a good lesson to your child about honesty and the importance of family. I don't think it hurts learning about work ethic - heck, I am taking off work for a vacation - does that mean I have bad work ethic??

By the way, here is how we feel about taking kids out of school for vacation...We are leaving Saturday for a week on the Disney Magic with 2nd grader and 5th grader...woohooo!!!!!! And wife is a teacher...uh-oh.

We told teachers/administrators that we were taking a family vacation and they have been very good to work with us. Still unexcused but my kids will work harder before and after to make up for missed time (teaching them about that good work ethic!!)

When I was a child, I was fortunate enough to travel to many other places, twice on cruise ships. What I learned from those travels stays with me today. I saw other cultures, learned about politics, and experienced things that most other kids my age didn't have the opportunity to know about. One of the things I learned was to appreciate my education, because my mother always took the time to point out the kids my age that were working instead of attending school (among other things). My husband and I do our best to do the same wherever we go now, whether away from home or not. Life experience is the most valuable learning tool we have. In our opinions, education is rendered much less useful without experience and vice versa.

We'll be taking our daughter out of her grade 4 class for a little over a week this January. We took her out of her grade 3 class last December. Her teacher sent along a journal for her to keep while we were away, but it really wasn't completed as well as it might have been (although we did insist that she work on it). Out of school or not, we did our best to give her learning experiences while we were away, and her time was filled with activities, so the journal got pushed aside... which I think most school work would be. This year, I've told her that I expect her to research each port we'll be visiting before we leave - and I haven't spoken to her teacher yet regarding anything she might want.

What amazes me is the control that the school board has! Here where we are in Canada, WE make the decisions regarding our children. If we feel that our child can miss school for something that we believe is acceptable, then we simply tell the school and they excuse them. We met some lovely people on our last cruise and asked if they would like to join us on this one and were told about the same issue where they live in Texas. Now, I agree that every child is different, and if my child had any academic difficulties whatsoever, I would not pull her out of school, but above all else, I believe that should be MY choice. It's not as if it happens multiple times in a school year, or as if I take her out of school to go shopping or because I don't feel like making her lunch. The policy should give principles some discretion as to when or when not to accept a parent's decision as excusable.

To the OP, I think you've made the right decision. While the system at the school is not one I agree with, I do agree that honesty is the best policy, especially when your child is concerned. A grade one student cannot be expected to return to school after a holiday and not talk about it - whether asked about her absence or not, she'll be gushing with stories. From the sounds of it, the 'first' offense isn't one that will cause you any real grief anyway and you can avoid them in the future now that you know the policy.

Wow, I "truly" had no idea that this was such a common practice. Where I live, parents receive a warning letter and are subject to prosecution if the child misses 3 or more partial or full days in a 4 week period and/or 10 or more partial or full days in a 6 month period.

My previous comments were not intended to be critical of anyone and no justification is necessary--all parents are free to raise their kids in whatever way they see fit--I was just surprised that this is such a widespread practice. Everyone has different needs and priorities--none are right or wrong.

I went on many nice (not necessarily expensive) vacations with my family when I was growing up, but they were always during summer or holiday breaks. I was also active in church and community service organizations which certainly enabled me to realize how fortunate I was.

OP - I like how you decided to handle the situation. Speaking of teaching lessons, you are teaching a good lesson to your child about honesty and the importance of family. I don't think it hurts learning about work ethic - heck, I am taking off work for a vacation - does that mean I have bad work ethic??

I was thinking the same thing... My husband and I booked time off well in advance and let our employers know and ensured that we were able to take holidays... and we're doing the same with our daughter's school. It seems to me that's how the working world works. To me, having a good work ethic (as my mother taught me) means showing up when you're expected, fulfilling or exceeding your commitments, doing your best, and being loyal, reliable and punctual. I think anyone who thinks one planned week away from school is going to actually make the difference in a child's understanding of good work habits must have some awfully inconsistent behaviour going on the other 51 weeks of the year! :p

Wow, I "truly" had no idea that this was such a common practice. Where I live, parents receive a warning letter and are subject to prosecution if the child misses 3 or more partial or full days in a 4 week period and/or 10 or more partial or full days in a 6 month period.

My previous comments were not intended to be critical of anyone and no justification is necessary--all parents are free to raise their kids in whatever way they see fit--I was just surprised that this is such a widespread practice. Everyone has different needs and priorities--none are right or wrong.

I went on many nice (not necessarily expensive) vacations with my family when I was growing up, but they were always during summer or holiday breaks. I was also active in church and community service organizations which certainly enabled me to realize how fortunate I was.

I'm glad you didn't mean to be critical.

I do want to ask, though... since you seem to understand how this system works... As I said, I'm from Canada, and we are allowed full responsibility for our children here, so the idea that someone could punish me for believing my child's absence from school is acceptable is completely outside of my understanding. Now, the question... I was sick as a child for two months at the end of grade 7. Because of my otherwise good attendance record and my academic achievements, I was passed into grade 8 without any problems. In your system, would I have been forced to repeat grade 7?

We too live in So. Cal. I have 3 kids, all of which are currently in or have been in LAUSD. I also have received one of those, "truancy letters," but not due to a vacation. Apparently, when my (then) 2 children would walk to school together, my 2nd grader would stay on the playground just a few minutes later, to get that last game of Tetherball in. Tardy over 11x! :eek: (Little bugar.) My eldest daughter was never late. Anyway, got the letter, freaked out, wrote the Principal, etc... (No one likes being threatened with imprisionment, especially when we ARE good parents.)

My little Tetherball player is now in Jr. High. Never a word mentioned after that incident. Maybe that letter is still in her file collecting dust, but it's also along side her Presidential Award and those straight A report cards of hers.

I understand and support the "Leave No Children Behind" policy, and support our teachers 100%. I think they're over worked and severly under paid. Have we taken our kids out for a vacation? Yes once. Would I do it again? Only if was for a day, on either end of a vacation which necessitated travel. It's too hard for them to catch up on their work. Our next cruise is the 1st week in January, when they're all out of school.

Soooo, my suggestion would be to not freak out too much about it and enjoy your vacation. Positive life experiences are necessary for an educated and well rounded child as well. I would also show up to school for that hour or so and see if you can pick up a "homework packet" for the week. My current 3rd grader get's one on every Monday. Might be different at our school, but worth a shot!

Have a wonderful time with your family! :)

That's surprising. And I don't mean that in a bad way...lol. By looking at your signature and seeing how much you have traveled, now I have to ask...if you are AGabbyMama and you have a gabby girl...does she not travel with you? Maybe she's older?

No my daughter doesn't travel with me. Yup, she's older. I took her on her and my own first cruise in 1988 on Carnival to Mexico as a Graduation gift, then the land trip to Jamiaca, but other than that I travel with my husband or a friend.

Our family vacations were during the summer months either in September before school started or in June just as soon as school was out. I did not take my children out of school for trips.

I have taken my children out of school (they made great grades) many times for whatever I thought was important for the family(Mom's sanity is very important). I have had only one issue with missed time (2 weeks) due to some AP testing scheduled. My son took the test early and we had a great holiday together. LA does have some unusual regs but so does San Diego (lived in both areas prior to moving east). In the first grade, I would not be concerned at all. In high school, I would talk with the school but I would still take my 4.0 children with me. They learn so much by visiting other counties, seeing different cultures up close, using thier French, Spanish, Italian and German in some where other than a class room. The exposure to the arts alone make up for any time missed. I know teachers out there will scream about my attitude but when they all graduated honors, well, maybe, travel did play a role after all in the person they became.

I'm a middle school teacher and I have written literally hundreds of independent study packets. I teach history and nothing is more valuable than going to actually see history. In fact, I take my own STUDENTS out of school for a whole week to go to Washington DC. They don't do any math, science, language arts or spanish while we're there. They just do history and learn how to socialize properly in the adult world, how to travel and how to stand on the right side of an escalator. Those are important skills that you never get in a classroom.

I'm also in Cali and I don't know anything about a state independent study policy so it must be a district thing. In my district students have to have a C or better average and not be failing any class to get independent study. Then the teachers make the packets- some do complex ones, others back off a little. I can say that my students have learned more from the presentations their fellow students are required to give upon return than they've ever learned from the state-approved textbooks.

To the PP talking about summer... not sure where you are but here summer is 5 weeks long. Not like the old 3 months summer. Most kids here above 4th grade take summer school to raise their NCLB scores. Even the above average kids. So for them, summer is like one week.

Take the kids, have a great time and who cares if you get a truant letter. I promise you that CPS has more complicated cases to worry about!

This whole thread is beginning to tick me off and I'm sure a lot of other people too :mad:

Your children are YOUR responsibility not the schools. This no child left behind caca is for the birds in my opinion. I as a parent and having family members that are teachers/principals, have seen it hold more children back but that's another story.

Family time and the added "culture" is a benefit. How often is it said parents don't spend enough time with their children? PLUS I know from personal experience those family trips as a child made to the Smithsonian, historical towns and various battle sites around the US enhanced my love of history.

My geography knowledge is lacking, maybe it's because I never left the country :D

Unless a child is a POOR student and misses frequently I feel there is NO reason they can't be taken out of school for a family vacation. The pluses for the child FAR outweigh any negatives.

My 14 year old nephew is going with us on our upcoming cruise during Thanksgiving. Yes, he's going to miss 3 days of school. But the kid has never been on a vacation his entire life unless you want to count amusement parks. Also, since he lives in a little town of 3,000 people this cruise, I'm sure, will most definitely expand his world. It will also be time spent with family (Grandparents, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles).

I grew up in the suburbs of D.C. I was able to to on field trips with school to the Smithsonian and other Landmarks in D.C. and Surrounding areas, along with going places like what was thought then to be Jamestown and we went to Williamsburg. My parents would take me on day and weekend trips to places as well including Philadelphia and Boston. I remember visiting Monticello and Gettysburg. All these places make history so real. I will be bringing my son to all these places when he studies them in school and I may or may not decide to pull him from school to do it. I will discuss it with the school. Visiting those areas in the Summer or Winter will be very difficult to do because of the heat and humidity and obviously the cold (Floridians don't like cold) and a week of spring break doesn't allow you to see much so adding a week in the fall would be nice. Early summer is a possibility but again it's just something that I just wouldn't say I would never do.

I'm glad you didn't mean to be critical.

I do want to ask, though... since you seem to understand how this system works... As I said, I'm from Canada, and we are allowed full responsibility for our children here, so the idea that someone could punish me for believing my child's absence from school is acceptable is completely outside of my understanding. Now, the question... I was sick as a child for two months at the end of grade 7. Because of my otherwise good attendance record and my academic achievements, I was passed into grade 8 without any problems. In your system, would I have been forced to repeat grade 7?

Most likely then would set up a homeschool or sick homebound program. There is an official name I just can't think of it right now and every state probably has a different name for it anyway.

I have heard unverified rumors of a new season. It's called "Summer" & if it exists in real life it is to be used for children's vacations & does not involve the Principal's office.
For me I won't cruise in the summer for various reasons. One is if a hurricane is going to hit my home I don't want to be in the middle of the ocean worrying about my family back home. Another is I don't want to be stuck out there longer then planed while I wait for the ports to open again. I know it happens I watch it on my portable tv and the ports open to supply us with gas (well Port Everglades anyway) before they open to cruise ships so I know when those ports open. And there are those as I said before who work for companies that won't give a low seniority employee a vacation over the school breaks. I have a friend in that situation. Doesn't apply to myself or my husband right now, but it could in the future you just never know.

My kids learned so much from this trip....and from every subject that they could have in school....

Science: They snorkeled with green sea turtles!! They were able to touch them, feed them, be right with them, it was amazing!! When my son came home he did a report and brought in pictures...not only was it great for him, but he was able to share an experience with his class.

-snorkeling with all kinds of sea animals, including a nurse shark (they don't bite), we were up close, it was amazing!

-World's only drive through Volcano in St. Lucia, they were able to be right there, smell the volcano (nasty sulphuric!), see the volcano, and learn the history.

Social Studies: The different cultures, different foods.....We actually went to a banana plantation and saw where banana's are actually grown, and tasted one right off the tree! When they go to the store and buy banana's they know where they are grown and kids their age have an active part in growing them!! We met local villagers and my kids were able to see where they wash their clothes, with rocks in the stream. How they use their stoves, with propane gas from the store. They ate different types of food that were prepared by local people. And the most important lesson, it was not "oh these poor people", because what we learned is they are happy, it is just a different lifestyle!

I could go on and on.....foreign money (math), different languages, there is just so much to learn, and that is on the islands.......

On the ship they also learned a lot....my best story was my son had ordered spaghetti and I was helping him cut it........when I heard "No, No, No,......I will teach you how to eat spaghetti" (in very heavy Italian accent/broken english), a couple of Italian Gentleman were at the next table, and he put his hand up for the waiter and said I need 2 plates of spaghetti....When they arrived he then showed us how to eat spaghetti with the spoon and fork.....that was way to cool my 3 boys will never forget.... and whenever we eat spaghetti we think of them :)

I would never underestimate what is learned on vacation, especially cruises, since they will most always be in a completely different culture, etc.

My 3 boys, A students, honors classes.......have a strong work ethic (as shown with grades) and maybe their great vacations also help!! :)

p.s. CruisinMama, I will definitely let you know how the RCCL vs. Disney goes. We postponed our October vacation and will be going in November!! I need to fix my sig line!!

Archived