So Much for Honesty!

OceanDreamin

I have three children and three stepchildren, ranging from age 7 to 24. In my personal opinion, there is no better reason for having your child miss a week of school then to take a family vacation. School work can be completed early or made up later. I have the utmost respect for teachers, but this is a decision I need to make as a parent.

We are pulling three children out of school in December to go on a cruise, and I don't rationalize it any other way then feeling that life is a balance and fun has to fit in there somewhere!

I remember a camping trip a couple years ago to the Grand Tetons that had a rocky beginning. My oldest was entering those teenage years and did not want to go with us. Two others were fighting in the car. But, by the end of the trip they were all hanging out the windows seeing who could spot the most animals. They all speak of that trip fondly. It was a growing experience, especially with our blended family, of working things out. There are lessons to be learned outside of a classroom.

But it's also about just having fun and being together, even if the kids spend time in the Kid Club. It's the kid's first cruise and we will be sharing that with them. That's priceless.

"What is the ethical issue?"

The ethical issue is easy to appreciate if you look at this situation in a broader context. As a member of a society who enjoys the rights and privileges thereof, one also has an accompanying responsibility to accept and fulfill its duties and obligations. We've established institutions to facilitate meeting those obligations, school systems being one such institution relegated with the responsibility of ensuring an educated citizenry. By extension, each of us who reaps the benefits of society has a duty and obligation to support its institutions. Voluntary absence does not support the goals of the educational enterprise. In my opinion, one who enjoys the benefits of public education but only supports the enterprise when convenient is behaving unethically.

"If formal education is so important, why do professional educators continue to support the status quo where most student's have a LONG summer break and have relatively short school days?"

In response, might I suggest that this is a gross generalization on your part. Even cursory research would easily establish that this is not the case. School districts across the country are exploring any number of organizational patterns which will enhance learning opportunities for children. When was the last time you saw a school building vacant during the entire summer?

"Why not change society into some bad Sci Fi channel movie and remove children from their families at birth for carefully monitored, sanitized, laboratory-type upbringing. Plug their heads in and fill them with book knowlege!"

No one is advocating Orwell's 1984.

"WHY? because there is much more to developing a functioning human than classroom experiences."

This is true, and school systems meet this obligation by providing opportunities for extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. However, to take advantage of these opportunities, one needs to be in attendance. Anything beyond these school district sponsored activities are at the discretion and convenience of the parent. However, convenience should not take precedence over responsibility.

"Reread my posts -- and answer me, what would my DD learn about ancient Greek society in social studies in the two days (out of a 20 day lesson plan) she will miss while we are in Greece?"

I don't know because I'm not the teacher who developed the 20-day lesson plan with a scope and sequence of content and skill development. Further, it's not just Social Studies. What about the math, science, language arts, etc. that also have a scope and sequence curriculum which is voluntarily being disrupted for the sake of convenience?

"Talk about weak rationalization -- "gee not everyone has the same view I have so their actions must be the reason American education system is in trouble." We have poverty (children who come to school hungry or without the basic supplies they need to learn), we have apathy (it's the schools responsibility to teach my kid to read, why do I have to read to him?), we have budget cuts (hey I don't care if research shows that smaller class size leads to better learning environment, if it means another mil on my property tax bill forget it!), and a myriad of other issues ALL contribute to the current problems facing schools in the US (and elsewhere)."

You missed my point. Not sharing my viewpoint is not the cause for an educational system which is not keeping pace with other cultures. There are many fundamental reasons why, when considered on a bell curve, most of our students are not keeping pace with our European and Asian counterparts. ONE of those reasons is a cavalier attitude prevalent throughout our society that does not rank education as one of our highest priorities. If it were highly ranked by the "man-in-the-street," we wouldn't be having students voluntarily absent from school for the sake of convenience. If it were more highly ranked, we would be more rigorously addressing those variables which affect achievement such as poverty, apathy, school budgets, and those myriad other causes to which you allude.

"Keeping her shackled to a school desk ..."

I hope your use of "shackled" in the above was generated in the heat of the moment as you responded to my post and can, therefore, be taken with a grain of salt. If not, then it provides a great deal of insight as to your attitude regarding formal education.

As I mentioned in my earlier posting, fate provides enough disruption to the learning continuum through injury, illness and family tragedy, and we all address those circumstances to the best of our abilities when they arise. But, I hold to the premis that to purposely plan activities which disrupt formal education is not in the best interest of the individual nor of society. To persist in a position that says otherwise simply indicates to me that formal education is not ranked as highly as other personal interests. If it were, the OP wouldn't have approached the school in the first place, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Dave

Okay... first, I want to refer to your first post, Dave, where you wondered why nobody had brought up the idea of principles... and I have to say I think we've been doing that all along. Clearly the principles you live by are different than mine, but you know what? That's okay. It doesn't mean I don't have principles because they're different from yours, nor that mine are not as they should be. They're just different.

By the same token, I disagree with your OPINION about what is ethical and unethical. Having the OPINION that taking a child out of school during the regular schedule is unethical does not make it so for anyone but you. Again, our OPINIONS are different on this point.

Now that I've emphasized the word 'OPINION' a few times, I hope I'm making my own point well. There is an old saying about opinions being like a certain body part... everybody's got one. It's very true, too! Everyone has their own opinion about pretty much any topic you can think of. That's one reason I like math... nobody can ever tell me I'm wrong when I say 2 + 2 = 4. :p It's just the way it is. On the other hand, anybody who wants to can disagree with my OPINION. That doesn't make them right and doesn't make me wrong, it's just how humans work. Obviously you have very strong opinions, and good for you. I personally feel that you have some difficulty seeing them as such, however. I say this not because I know you, but because I've read two posts here written by you in which you imply that your personal OPINIONS should be the basis by which the rest of us view this topic.

The education system around the world has changed and evolved and progressed in ways that sometimes work and sometimes don't. No two individuals are the same, and as someone who has tutored a number of subjects (mostly math, from elementary levels through university), I can tell you unequivocally that no two people learn in the same way. I have taken classes in my life in which I have required a tutor myself, and others where I didn't even crack my book and still maintained the highest mark in the class. I have attended classes where I felt like if I missed one lecture it would affect my ability to get the most from the class, and others where I felt like my time was being wasted every time I was forced to sit through another unhelpful lesson. Not every individual granted the right to teach is actually qualified to do so, whether they have a piece of paper stating they are or not. This is, of course, another OPINION, but it comes from personal observation and experience both as a student and with students I have tutored.

School is not just about academics. School is where children grow and learn how to be functioning members of society. The added benefit of the social experience is that they have the opportunity for academic study. I am an educated person and I think that education is invaluable. I also believe very strongly that life experience is just as important, and one without the other is useless.

As I have stated previously, the travel experience I had as a child is something I consider to have been vitally important in becoming the person I am today. I am very well educated, as is my husband. We both grew up in homes where education was considered a priority, and it is a priority in ours. To suggest that because I believe travel to be important enough to my child's life experience that I will allow her to miss a few days of school for it means that I don't value education is ridiculous. Making assumptions about people that you don't know based on the fact that their OPINIONS differ from your own generally is, though... in my OPINION.

One of the common threads I've seen here from people who disagree with the idea of taking children out of school is the OPINION that missing that time will somehow be detrimental to the child's development, educational success... or... well, I'm not sure, since I'm on the other side of the discussion. There seems to be an agreement that school is much too important to be missed at any time for any reason, in any case. As I continue to stress, however, this is an OPINION. Mine is that my child will suffer if she is not exposed to as much of the world as I can show her. One of my degrees is in science, and I can tell you first hand that I've known people who have a very unbalanced academic/life experience ratio... and I believe they suffer for it. Again, that's my OPINION.

One of the things I find kind of crazy in this thread, also, is that the parents who are on this board are the ones that take the time to research what they're doing with their children. They're asking questions, learning about other parents' experiences, and getting as much information as they can to ensure that they are making the best choices they can for their children. In my OPINION, what that says is that these are the same parents that are active in their childrens' educations and concerned about their futures. It's just too bad that it's so difficult for people to share their experiences without prejudice, and to respect other OPINIONS as what they are - personal. Mine are right for ME. Yours are right for YOU. I like to hear others, and I'm even interested in the reasoning behind them. I just wish there was some way for everyone to be able to express themselves without becoming defensive, judgemental, or overbearing. Yuck. That just rubs everyone the wrong way and makes an otherwise useful and informative forum an uncomfortable place.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time cruising!!

I was just thinking the other day about how few years I have left to create special family memories with my own children. My son is now 11 and dd is now 9 almost 10. That gives me really only about 8 more years to have "kid time" with my own kids, then they'll be going off to college, and then getting married and having kids of their own.

I hate to think that your school district is denying you this valuable family time or penalizing you because you love and cherish your children and want to spend quality time with them. Vacation time is valuable bonding time with your children... you get to spend much uninterrupted time with them without your everday stresses... you can share thought and ideas with them.

I have been lucky that for the last few years when my kids have missed school for a cruise to Mexico or Hawaii, our superintendent and their teachers have allowed them the opportunity for independent study. Part of the family vacation is building bonds with each other, and part of it is visiting and learning about other cultures.

They did enjoy a vacation, but every Sunday afternoon for about 8 weeks the kids and I did a research project on the history and culture of each port we visited in Mexico. DD studied history, native costume and dress, and current industries in each port. My son did a 30 page power point project on the history of Mexico, the Aztec, Cortez, the Conquistadors, and current industries and histories of each port.

It may be a family vacation, but it has the potential to be so much more if the parents put the effort in to make it an experience that enriches the whole child .

OK, I am going to make a brazen political statement here and say that maybe the issue here is that big government (LA School System) thinks it knows better how to raise your child than you the parent. Heaven forbid that a parent would know better than a government entity what is best for a child.

OK I said it, and I am sure I have offended many of you out there, but I truely feel that I as a parent should make decisions about my own child's education. I really try to not go out and make radical statements here on CC. I try to be pretty nice, but I'm feeling emboldened tonight. I know that some children will get behind, some will not complete the assigned work, but what if I as a parent make sure that the vacation time is well spent time, work is completed, and I spend the week or two making sure that the whole child is enriched. Shouldn't I have that opportunity to enrich my own child's life with our worry about the truancy police showing up at my door.

I agree that this debate can go on forever. Both teachers and parents have valid points to make concerning kids missing school days for a holiday.

My sons are in 5th and 6th grade. Because I cannot go on holiday in the summer or Christmas, and I wouldn't even consider taking the boys out of school, I went on holidays with my husband and left the boys with my parents. Well, this year I booked a 14 day cruise to the Med AND I'M TAKING THE BOYS!! Education is very important in our household, but so is family bonding. Ten years from now, they won't remember the lessons that week but they'll definately remember seeing the pyramids, the acropolis, Agia Sophia with there parents.

I asked the principal and he didn't approve of this, but he left the decision up to me. The teachers half-heartedly agreed to give us the homework for 2 weeks. I began to feel guilty about taking them out of school for a holiday. But, do I regret telling the truth? NO. Teaching is not done only in the classroom and I would never want to tell my kids to lie about where they were for 2 weeks.

So, tell the truth and don't feel guilty about creating precious memories with your family. Enjoy!

Well it looks like the OP certainly went through some ordeal going back and forth with the teacher and principal. Frankly, I would be embarrassed to approach the school with such a request. Asking for an excused absence and independent study-to go on a cruise? It's fall, school just started back. Kids should be in school at this time of year. Although to be fair I don't know if the OP is doing this to save money or if it's a special occasion that happens to fall at that time.

The ordeal (in this instance) has only been with the Principal. Although the teacher would rather have DD in class, she hasn't been a problem, just the Principal. The Principal obviously isn't very clear on what the policy is on excused/unexcused absence, since she told me one thing, and then flipped after meeting with some mysterious "committee." As it happens this was also my experience when trying to enroll my daughter at that school - there were three instances of being given wrong information, and I ended up having to go back three different times to try to get her enrolled.

As far as the reason the cruise is scheduled for mid October, I'm not going to address that. I'm not looking for someone to sit in judgment of my decision, and determine whether my reasons are sufficient to absolve me of the sin of pulling my child out of school. I feel my reasons are valid, and that's good enough for me and my family.

We have always taken our son everywhere with us. Thats why we had him. I work in a food warehouse and I cannot get vacation whenever it is a school break. My husband is an artist and we have always taken our son to trade shows. He misses about 4 - 6 days each school year. Last year we took him out to visit the site of Flight 93 and a short stop in Gettysburg. His teachers told us they see a different student when he returns. He loves telling the kids about his experiences. I have always hesitated at taking him out of school but, I won't have him around forever. I am attending a show in Miami in November and have a few extra days. This is his chance for a "real vacation" due to the trade shows and my work schedule we have never had a chance for him to see the world thru a travelers eyes. This will be the first flight that he will remember and a special time with me. I work nights and my summer was filled with 70 - 100 hour work weeks. My husband is staying home and I get some quality time with my son. Yes, education is important I have helped at school on my " off " schedule since he entered school. I don't see the stay at home moms helping in our district like I do. Therefore, when I talk to the school they know me and they know that my son will come back with a broader attitude and he will share his experiences with everyone.

The ordeal (in this instance) has only been with the Principal. Although the teacher would rather have DD in class, she hasn't been a problem, just the Principal. The Principal obviously isn't very clear on what the policy is on excused/unexcused absence, since she told me one thing, and then flipped after meeting with some mysterious "committee." As it happens this was also my experience when trying to enroll my daughter at that school - there were three instances of being given wrong information, and I ended up having to go back three different times to try to get her enrolled.

As far as the reason the cruise is scheduled for mid October, I'm not going to address that. I'm not looking for someone to sit in judgment of my decision, and determine whether my reasons are sufficient to absolve me of the sin of pulling my child out of school. I feel my reasons are valid, and that's good enough for me and my family.

Yes, the wishy washiness of the principal would infuriate me as well. Isn't there supposed to be ONE policy. It actually sounds like she was trying to help you out on this, but ultimately was overuled. I'm not judging. I hope I don't sound like it. It is not a sin to take your child out of school for this. That's ridiculous. I wouldn't do it though. I will confess that when our son was in 3rd grade he missed one day of school because of a cruise. I didn't purposely plan it that way. Only after I booked the trip did I realize we didn't return home on a Sunday, but a Monday. I still have a guilty conscious about it and our son graduated from college this year and is an airline pilot. I think I could count on one hand how many days of school he ever missed. That's just me though. Ultimately, you're the parent and it's your call.

Yes, the wishy washiness of the principal would infuriate me as well. Isn't there supposed to be ONE policy. It actually sounds like she was trying to help you out on this, but ultimately was overuled. I'm not judging. I hope I don't sound like it. It is not a sin to take your child out of school for this. That's ridiculous. I wouldn't do it though. I will confess that when our son was in 3rd grade he missed one day of school because of a cruise. I didn't purposely plan it that way. Only after I booked the trip did I realize we didn't return home on a Sunday, but a Monday. I still have a guilty conscious about it and our son is now grown and graduated from college this year and is an airline pilot:) I think I could count on one hand how many days of school he ever missed. That's just me though. Ultimately, you're the parent and it's your call.

". . . When was the last time you saw a school building vacant during the entire summer?
let's try this past summer -- our local elementary school was open for the teachers to prepare their classrooms for exactly one week prior to school start. EVERYTHING else, registration, inquiries, etc. had to be done at the district office (24.5 miles from the elementary school in question). There was no summer school, there was no staff access, there was no organized sports use of internal or external facilties. It was the same for all facitities other than the Middle School which allowed access to the swimming pool for lessons -- this was funded through a private grant.

This same society which you state "established institutions to facilitate meeting those obligations, school systems being one such institution relegated with the responsibility of ensuring an educated citizenry." Doesn't seem to feel that they need to fund it.

This society to whom you feel we have "duty and obligation to support" locks the doors to these taxpayer supported buildings at 3:30 every night and cannot reopen them until 8:00 the next morning.

It is not the educators "fault", nor the adminstrators "fault" - but society who only wants to pay lip service to the importance of education and feel it politically expedient to expound upon the importance of "family values" yet do nothing to support families.

Working WITH the institutions that together make up society is the ethical duty of every citizen -- blindly following the edicts of a buracracy IS Orwellian and unethical. It is the individual's willingness to ceed his responsibility to "the rules" that allow dictators to do some of the really atrocious acts that they have done.

. . . "Why not change society into some bad Sci Fi channel movie and remove children from their families at birth for carefully monitored, sanitized, laboratory-type upbringing. Plug their heads in and fill them with book knowlege!"

No one is advocating Orwell's 1984.

Just an observation: I was really thinking maybe "Brave New World" (A. Huxley) rather than 1984 (G. Orwell) would have been a better literatary reference. 1984 is good for totalitarianism but not so much for social/biological engineering.

. . . This is true, and school systems meet this obligation by providing opportunities for extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. However, to take advantage of these opportunities, one needs to be in attendance. Anything beyond these school district sponsored activities are at the discretion and convenience of the parent. However, convenience should not take precedence over responsibility

In what alternate universe do you live? Extra-curricular and co-curricular activities - dream on! My daughter takes piano, clarinet and Italian lessons, is participates in soccer and curling teams, and takes ballet. I am responsible for arranging these opportunities for her, for funding them, for serving on committees and boards to organize them, to making certain she is transported to and from. Why? because the school district can only afford to offer a 'core' curriculum. The rare field trip or external speaker the school can arrange is done so only because the PTO raises money to fully fund them. Bake sales, magazine drives, etc. Let me know your address and I'll put you on the mailing list -- maybe you could send some brownies to our next bake sale?

. . . "Reread my posts -- and answer me, what would my DD learn about ancient Greek society in social studies in the two days (out of a 20 day lesson plan) she will miss while we are in Greece?" . . . I don't know because I'm not the teacher who developed the 20-day lesson plan with a scope and sequence of content and skill development. Further, it's not just Social Studies. What about the math, science, language arts, etc. that also have a scope and sequence curriculum which is voluntarily being disrupted for the sake of convenience?

Well the teacher who DID develop the 20-day lesson plan is THRILLed. Prior to booking the trip we asked the teachers and administrators and they wholeheartedly approved. Her language Arts teacher wants her to take pictures in Venice because they start "the Thief Lord" in liturature the day she gets back. She is in independent study math -- it doesn't matterr where she is when she does her work! Science is a Tuesday/Thursday class -- she will not miss any Thursday, she's missing half-day on one Tuesday -- which is the "reward" of watching the movie (hence no Science).

Do you really think that ALL parents who consider a vacation that entails pulling a child from school for a few days don't THINK it through at all!? We planned this.

. . . There are many fundamental reasons why, when considered on a bell curve, most of our students are not keeping pace with our European and Asian counterparts. ONE of those reasons is a cavalier attitude prevalent throughout our society that does not rank education as one of our highest priorities.
and to here we agree -- society DOES not rank education as one of our highest priority which is why -- through budget cuts, No Child Left Behind legislation, and other systematic processes -- our children are for all practical purposes are "shackled to a school desk"

. . . But, I hold to the premis that to purposely plan activities which disrupt formal education is not in the best interest of the individual nor of society. To persist in a position that says otherwise simply indicates to me that formal education is not ranked as highly as other personal interests. If it were, the OP wouldn't have approached the school in the first place, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Neither you nor I know why the OP needed/wanted to vacation when she did. So I choose not to judge her intentions or make any generalization that she does not value her child's education, and choose to believe that she is acting on only the highest ethical standards. Do SOME parents make this decision based purely upon their own interests? Yes. Do All? NO!

Similiarly I will not generalize my own "knee jerk" belief that many of the people who object so sanctimoniously about this issue are neandrathals to any specific respondent of this thread. Is everyone who makes the decsion to only vacation when school is out a neandrathal? No! Are some? Yes! (oh, oh, now the Gieko Insurance "cave men" will be coming after me!)

I will continue to fully support YOUR decision for YOUR family, that you will limit all vactions to school-sanctioned times off. If you can make it work for you and your family, more power to you!

In what alternate universe do you live? Extra-curricular and co-curricular activities - dream on! My daughter takes piano, clarinet and Italian lessons, is participates in soccer and curling teams, and takes ballet. I am responsible for arranging these opportunities for her, for funding them, for serving on committees and boards to organize them, to making certain she is transported to and from. Why? because the school district can only afford to offer a 'core' curriculum. The rare field trip or external speaker the school can arrange is done so only because the PTO raises money to fully fund them. Bake sales, magazine drives, etc. Let me know your address and I'll put you on the mailing list -- maybe you could send some brownies to our next bake sale?QUOTE]

I don't live in an alternate universe, and I recognize that a complete educational program, including core-, extra-, and co-curricular activities, requires adequate funding. I firmly believe that our children are our most important resource and need every advantage to develop into well-rounded, productive members of society. For this reason, education, for me, has and will continue to be a very high priority. Even though I am a retiree on a fixed income whose children are long gone and out of school, I proudly admit that I have never voted against a school budget. Even when our local district has been on austerity budgets, I financially supported extra activities for students, and if I knew how to bake, Onessa, I'd gladly send you brownies for your next bake sale.

However, I don't live in a vacuum, and I realize that in all probability, there will come a time where I can no longer afford to support school tax increases. That is why I encourage our legislators to explore alternatives to property taxes as the source of school funding. (I personally like the idea of a graduated income tax.) But, if I am willing to sacrifice some of my discretionary retirement money to support education, I don't think it is unreasonable to also expect parents to support it by ensuring that their children are in attendance during the regular school year.

Dave of ...

In what alternate universe do you live? Extra-curricular and co-curricular activities - dream on! My daughter takes piano, clarinet and Italian lessons, is participates in soccer and curling teams, and takes ballet. I am responsible for arranging these opportunities for her, for funding them, for serving on committees and boards to organize them, to making certain she is transported to and from. Why? because the school district can only afford to offer a 'core' curriculum. The rare field trip or external speaker the school can arrange is done so only because the PTO raises money to fully fund them. Bake sales, magazine drives, etc. Let me know your address and I'll put you on the mailing list -- maybe you could send some brownies to our next bake sale?QUOTE]

I don't live in an alternate universe, and I recognize that a complete educational program, including core-, extra-, and co-curricular activities, requires adequate funding. I firmly believe that our children are our most important resource and need every advantage to develop into well-rounded, productive members of society. For this reason, education, for me, has and will continue to be a very high priority. Even though I am a retiree on a fixed income whose children are long gone and out of school, I proudly admit that I have never voted against a school budget. Even when our local district has been on austerity budgets, I financially supported extra activities for students, and if I knew how to bake, Onessa, I'd gladly send you brownies for your next bake sale.

However, I don't live in a vacuum, and I realize that in all probability, there will come a time where I can no longer afford to support school tax increases. That is why I encourage our legislators to explore alternatives to property taxes as the source of school funding. (I personally like the idea of a graduated income tax.) But, if I am willing to sacrifice some of my discretionary retirement money to support education, I don't think it is unreasonable to also expect parents to support it by ensuring that their children are in attendance during the regular school year.

Dave of ...

Believe me, it really isn't a big deal if you get a "truancy" letter. I work in an inner city school in LAUSD, and I have kids in my class who are chronically late and absent (more than 25% of the time late or absent). So they get a letter. Nothing EVER happens to them. At most, they will have a counseling session with the PSA counselor.

The district can not get ADA $ for students anymore even if they are legitimately absent (ill with a note). THat is the way funding works in CA now. You must have in-seat attendance to get the funding.

Just have her be absent for the week - it really isn't a big deal. As for the principal - there are many principals in LAUSD who are clueless. In this district, the more you kiss up, the further you go. It has nothing to do with intelligence, experience, or talent.:mad:

I work year round and I always take my son out of school for vacations. He is an excellent student and his state test scores are always in the 90th percentile or above. She will probably learn more from the cultural exposure than she will in a week of first grade using the Open Court Reading program.

Hope this helps. ENJOY YOUR TIME TOGETHER AS A FAMILY!!!!:)

Thank you kaiiak, that DOES make me feel a LOT better to know that receiving ONE truancy letter is no big deal. DD has had perfect attendance up to now, and she certainly isn't going to become a chronic truant. I guess one truancy letter in 1st Grade isn't going to affect her college applications years from now.:rolleyes:

I had thought (through reading other threads here on CC) that if a child is granted Independent Study, it is as if they are present in their seat, so the school gets the funding. That's what I was hoping to accomplish, and I figured that was a no-brainer for the principal to grant it to keep the money. I guess not.

I had DD do some of the work sent home already, and the rest we'll do when we get back. In the meantime I just packed a big, heavy Berenstain Bears story book for her to read every day, so she can keep up with her daily reading log. I know DD will miss stuff that the teacher is presenting this week. My DD is a very bright girl who picks things up quickly, and since she's only in 1st grade, I have every confidence that I can help her with any material she doesn't quite understand, to help her get caught back up to the rest of the class.

Thanks again for the reassurance. I can leave for my trip with a lighter heart.:)

notify the school district that you intend to homeschool your children starting that week. after your vacation inform the district that you are no longer home schooling them and return them to their school.

that way they haven;t missed any time away from school as they weren;t going to be there anyway.

enjoy the time with your family.

I firmly believe that our children are our most important resource and need every advantage to develop into well-rounded, productive members of society.

I couldn't agree more!!! In fact - and I'm only speculating here because I can only speak for myself - I'll bet ALL the parents on this board feel exactly the same way.

Where we differ is in how we think a person becomes 'well-rounded'. I believe that education without experience is as unbalanced and limiting as experience without education. In my opinion, the experiences gained through travel are just as vital (albeit in smaller quantities), which is why I strive to provide them for my child.

The school system, by its nature, can only work if there is a set schedule, a widely accepted curriculum, and shared standards of achievement for each level of education. In my opinion, it is impossible for any schedule to accommodate the needs of every person involved at all times. If it were, nobody would ever need a day off from work, nobody would ever have to cancel plans, and everyone would always be where they were expected, when they were expected.

This in no way means that the school schedule is unimportant, nor that it should not be respected. I respect it in the same way I do my own work schedule. I give advance notice and fulfil all requirements of my position before and after my absence, and may also complete some tasks while away. I expect the same of my child, and by setting this example and explaining how important it is to take the proper steps, she is learning one more lesson on her path to becoming the well-rounded adult I am doing everything in my power to ensure she becomes.

Can someone please explain the difference between an excused and unexcused absence. I have never had this problem, nor have I ever heard of anyone with this sort of problem. If the teacher sends work with the child, great, if not the child is responsible for obtaining the missed work. If you write a note and explain that the child will be away from this date to that date then the school knows that your child is with you and they are not responsible for making sure that they made it to school. And yes the child is marked abscent during those dates. That is it. No discussion with the principal. Sometimes the child actually reports back on their trip even. I am not talking about vacationing a week every month but a week a year. Remember not all moms and dads can have vacation in the summer, sometimes dad has the child during all holidays and mom wants a vacation with her child. Or maybe they just want a vacation because life is short and you don't know what lies around the corner for you and your family and if you can make some great memories together then why not.

Live and let live!

Karysa

An excused absence can cover many things such as illness, a doctor's appointment, death in the family and anything beyond a parent's control. An unexcused absence is taking a vacation or participating in a personal activity unrelated to the school.

As for those who say you need travel to make you a well rounded individual, gee, I'm sorry I don't agree. What about those who have familes who cannot afford to take cruises or travel? What about those from single parent families who cannot do such things? Are these unfortunates any less of a well-rounded person? Travel is a priviledge and not an individual right and while it does enhance a person's life experience, it in no way provides the free pass to living a more well-rounded life. If that were the case, our country would be filled with a lot of poorly rounded individuals because in the scheme of things, a vast majority of our population does not participate in the luxury travels that those on these boards have the privilege of doing.

WOW...we have never had a problem taking our children out of school for a weeks cruise. Our teacher's have all been more than happy to prepare work for our children (we always give them 2 months or more time to prepare). For the record we have (2) 9 year olds (both gifted and talented education) (1) 13 year old (4.0 seventh grader) and (1) 17 year old (who is a 4.0 senior getting ready to graduate early and go on to Sac. State. Go figure...to be a teacher!!). We spend so much time during the school year on our childrens education and social life (sports, music, etc...) that our 1 week a year is mighty deserved!!

On the flip side...My oldest son was late (A period) 3 times (shame on him), I forgot to call in his sickness 1 time, and a teacher mistakenly marked him absent. Boy did I SH*T:eek: a gold brick when I got that letter stating that I had a hearing and a court date scheduled for such and such date. The fines were imprisonment for me!! My son not getting his Drivers license, and I would have to dig up the letter to remember the last one. Fortunatly, when I called the VP of the school she knew my son (and knew he was an athlete/computer Geek) and knew he would NEVER cut school.

I say take her to school the 1.5 hours the day of and call in sick the rest of the week. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out:)

As for those who say you need travel to make you a well rounded individual, gee, I'm sorry I don't agree. What about those who have familes who cannot afford to take cruises or travel? What about those from single parent families who cannot do such things? Are these unfortunates any less of a well-rounded person? Travel is a priviledge and not an individual right and while it does enhance a person's life experience, it in no way provides the free pass to living a more well-rounded life. If that were the case, our country would be filled with a lot of poorly rounded individuals because in the scheme of things, a vast majority of our population does not participate in the luxury travels that those on these boards have the privilege of doing.

I came from a single parent family that could not afford to take vacations. I am now in a position where I can provide my children with the priviledge of taking vacations (on a pretty inflexible schedule due to work, school, and extra-curricular activities). I do feel like my childhood was not as well-rounded as it could have been because of our inability to take vacations. Some of the things I learned in a book, my children get to see and experience first hand. I do not have the closeness with my parents and siblings that my children, husband and I have with each other. Part of this is due to the vacation time we spend together. We share experiences on our vacations that can not be replaced by a classroom or a book.

I try to minimize the days that they will be gone, but sometimes it is the school schedule that has to bend to fit a vacation into our busy lives. It is a priviledge that I will not deny my children as it was denied to me. I feel sorry for the vast majority of people who cannot experience this priviledge. I've been there. It does make an individual more well-rounded to first-hand experience the world around them. Don't knock people because they can afford to give this priviledge to their children. Praise them for taking this opportunity to expand their child's outlook on the world they live in.

. . . As for those who say you need travel to make you a well rounded individual, gee, I'm sorry I don't agree. What about those who have familes who cannot afford to take cruises or travel? What about those from single parent families who cannot do such things? Are these unfortunates any less of a well-rounded person? Travel is a priviledge and not an individual right and while it does enhance a person's life experience, it in no way provides the free pass to living a more well-rounded life. If that were the case, our country would be filled with a lot of poorly rounded individuals because in the scheme of things, a vast majority of our population does not participate in the luxury travels that those on these boards have the privilege of doing.

There are many things that make for a well-rounded person. Formal schooling is among them.

Travel and other life experiences are others. I know many people who cannot afford some of the experiences we offer our child. My DD takes ballet at a local studio -- it is convenient for us, she likes the teacher, and we can afford it. She started ballet at the local YWCA, it was a good program with a good teacher and it was very inexpensive (and financial aid was available to those who could not afford the fees) -- the Y however was too far from our house and Ballet III was offered the same night as another committment our family had -- so we moved to the private studio. The girls who receive financial assistance don't have the option to switch studios -- but our family could afford it.

Just because we can afford privat lessons does that make it somehow wrong that we do this for our DD? Since we can afford to travel, while other families cannot, does that mean that we shouldn't travel??

------------------------------

To all: We all work hard to provide the best for our families. We all consider what is best for OUR children. I can understand and will support the decisions YOU make for YOUR children. I hope you can provide me the respect to allow me to make decisions that are in the best interests of my DD and my family.

An excused absence can cover many things such as illness, a doctor's appointment, death in the family and anything beyond a parent's control. An unexcused absence is taking a vacation or participating in a personal activity unrelated to the school.

If this is the case then a cruise is an unexcused absence. In our case some teachers provide more work to take than others but the bottom line is if the class covered something while you are away then your child is responsible for it. You would think that a Principal and school board would have way bigger issues to deal with than whether someone vacations for 4 or 5 days. This sounds a little extreme to me. Like I said before sometimes one parent has the children for holidays and the other one has them for the school days. As long as the child is taught that they are responsible for the work that they missed and the class does not have to wait for the child to catch up then I think it is o.k. to enjoy life while you can.

Karysa

I was just thinking about how it is actually reported here because there is not a spot for unexcused absences on my childrens report card. They just document the number of days absent (this includes all types of absences) and the number of times that they have been late) I just figured that if they were not sick that it was an unexcused absence. Maybe I am wrong.

Karysa

Archived