oosterdam not looking so good?

winemistress45

I just returned from a land trip to Mexico and travelled thru Puerto Vallarta and saw one of HAL's ships one day at the cruise ship terminal -- I think it was the Oosterdam.

It was looking pretty sad from the outside -- ofcourse I haven't seen the inside but by comparison to other ships docked there and other cruise ships I've seen, it looked pretty beat up.

I will be on the Zuiderdam and have read that its do for a refurb -- will it be in similar shape?

Some ships look absolutely stunning -- I mean its hard to take your eyes off the beauty of them -- this one was sort of sad.:confused:

I have been on the Zuiderdam twice, the last time was April 2007. For being the oldest ship in the "Vista" class, it is still in excellent condition! If the ship is coming out of dry dock it should be in top notch condition.

Good Luck!!

Do you mean that it needs repainted on the outside?

Yes, it seemed to need repaint and all the life boats looked shoddy -- it just wasn't attractive (to me anyway) -- there are so many vessels out there that are so beautiful -- for instance the Disney line are lovely in their exterior aesthetic appearance (interior too for that matter).

I will be on the Zuiderdam before it goes to dry dock and ofcourse have heard the stories about the floors being uneven and such. Just wondering if it looked as tired as the Oosterdam since its the only HAL ship I've ever seen.

I wonder if there is some connection between Oosterdam just having left Alaska and the possibility she may need paint?

There are such tight environmental restrictions in Alaska and HAL's Environmental Officers are rigid in their attempts to do all to protect environment that maybe they need to wait to be in ports that permit exterior methods that Alaska prohibits?

Just speculating.

OP 'think's it was the Oosterdam.

I understand. She is sailing on the Zuiderdam and is concerned that it may be in poor shape. So she can either remain concerned or switch to another cruise line that has ships more appealing to her. It really is this simple.

:confused: I find this to be a very odd statement. She was just in Dry Dock in Victoria the end of April. I am sure at that time they did some touch up. She looked brand new after she was completely painted in September Dry Dock last year. I was last on her this past March where she looked great as well as I visited her in Seattle in June. Also there have been so many that post here that have sailed on the Oosterdam recently with not one word of her needing painting repair.

Just my opinion but I find it extremely hard to believe that she looked shoddy in any way.

Here she is from June looking great as always:)

NoordamAlaskaJune2007001.jpg?t=1192468273

I understand. She is sailing on the Zuiderdam and is concerned that it may be in poor shape. So she can either remain concerned or switch to another cruise line that has ships more appealing to her. It really is this simple.

My comment was not directed specifically to yours. If it was, I would have quoted you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I agree if she is that concerned she should switch or see an Optician;)

:confused: I find this to be a very odd statement. She was just in Dry Dock in Victoria the end of April. I am sure at that time they did some touch up. She looked brand new after she was completely painted in September Dry Dock last year. I was last on her this past March where she looked great as well as I visited her in Seattle in June. Also there have been so many that post here that have sailed on the Oosterdam recently with not one word of her needing painting repair.

Just my opinion but I find it extremely hard to believe that she looked shoddy in any way.

Here she is from June looking great as always:)

NoordamAlaskaJune2007001.jpg?t=1192468273

Thanks for posting the photo.

This is a nice picture -- maybe it wasn't the Oosterdam I saw a few days ago in Vallarta.

But it definitely was a Holland America ship --

I'm not at all "concerned" about the Zuiderdam -- just curious if the ship I saw and the Zuidy were in the same condition since the Zuidy is going to refit soon. Certainly not interested in booking with Disney again, however they are spectacularly beautiful to look at.

Thanks for posting the photo.

This is a nice picture -- maybe it wasn't the Oosterdam I saw a few days ago in Vallarta.

But it definitely was a Holland America ship --

I'm not at all "concerned" about the Zuiderdam -- just curious if the ship I saw and the Zuidy were in the same condition since the Zuidy is going to refit soon. Certainly not interested in booking with Disney again, however they are spectacularly beautiful to look at.

I would suggest you go to cruisecal dot com and check the port calender for Puerto Vallarta by day. If you know the exact day you were there, which I assume you do, you can tell which ship it was that you saw.

Frankly, I find it difficult to believe that any HAL ship would look shabby.

It could have been the Zaandam. She is doing an itinerary that includes Puerto Vallarta. And, of course, it was just an opinion. We all see things differently and that's okay.

Actually the following HAL ships have been in Puerta Vallarta in the last 10 days.

Oosterdam

Ryndam

Volendam

Zaandam

Zuiderdam

Winemistress,

What ever happened to your door decoration dilema. It seems that it caused quite a uproar and now you are concerned about the Oosterdam. Have you sailed HAL before? Perhaps your expectations of HAL in terms and looks and service is not what you are looking for. This statement is not meant to "spam" you, it is just a general statement.

Barbara

Edit

Peaches, other HAL ships have stopped in PV on their transit from Alaska heading to the East Coast. As soon as the OP can tell us what day she was in PV and saw this HAL ships I can tell you wich ship it was. It could even have been the Zuiderdam the ship she is questioning.

Actually the following HAL ships have been in Puerta Vallarta in the last 10 days.

Oosterdam

Ryndam

Volendam

Zaandam

Zuiderdam

I saw that, Lisa.

10/05 Volendam

10/06 Zuiderdam

10/07 Zaandam

10/10 Oosterdam

10/14 Ryndam

I was just on the Oosterdam on her last Alaska sailing from September 22-30. She was in lovely condition. We didn't notice anything that looked worn or needing attention -- and I usually pay attention to that kind of thing so I am pretty confident that she was in good shape! We actually sailed next to the Zuiderdam most of our trip and it too seemed to look good from the pier. I hope it was another ship that you were seeing!

I was there for a week but it was late in the week --

Its really not that important -- just an observation.

I can see where this is going and I'll refrain from commenting further.

Have a wonderful day!

Now you have us all very curious as to what day let alone which week were you there. Was it just this past week ending October 13th or was it the week before??:confused: Sincere there were several HAL ships that have been in PV recently we are all interested for details.

Archived