Where are all the P&O cruisers?

steandkass

SueKay

Condolences.

You are right - P&O not marketed well in the US. Very difficult to get P&O information and pricing. Last November, while on Pacific Princess, the Future Cruise Consultant (a Brit) said that Carnival hoped to change that in the future.

Michael

SueKay, I am so sorry to read about your loss. That must have been such a shock. I hope that the culprit is found quickly and dealt with properly.

I'm glad, though, that you're still going on your cruise - hope it's an enjoyable one nevertheless.

As P&O for marketing in the US, they don't make any real effort. I was reading an article in the latest repeaters magazine this week about turnaround day, and even that simply referred to all 2,000 pax getting off the ship and going home to places "all over the UK" or words to that effect. A bit like the Ocean Village problem - even if you live in the US and like the idea of the cruise line, you have to start with the flight from the UK.

shame theres not more posts. i post and a week later nothing more. did p&o last year if you can cal it a cruise an overnight on the adonia inn soton. shame they are sending her back to princess. am doing a short cruise on the new ARCADIA next june am really looking forward to it as she was gonma be the queen victoria, good sites on p&o showing lots of pics of the arcadia. shame i print up the bigger oness my computer still bering fixed. good luck withe the person who lost her father. miner dfid a new ago but only from an illness. i went on splendour to amsterdam and legend iof the seas to australia

Suekay - have just read your post - so sorry to hear of your loss.

We are fans of P & 0 and have just booked a Canary Island cruise on Artemis (Royal Princess.) We found an extremely good deal which was hard to refuse. I understand that many people love this ship but she may need a little work. No doubt we shall find out... Nevertheless we are very pleased to be going and I'm sure we will enjoy it very much.

We have also enjoyed Celebrity and hope to return to them in the not too distant future. We had a marvellous time on Constellation this year and met some lovely people.

Marge M.

What do people think are the advantages of P&O over other cruiselines? I would have a job to think of more than one or two!

I like having tea and coffee making facilities in my cabin and my husband likes not having to fly. However some Celebrity cruises are ex UK now and RCCl is going to have some cruises from Southampton.

It would be interesting to hear other people's opinions.

Sweep

For me, the main thing is that I can do a short trip ex-UK, which is pretty difficult to find on other ("American") lines. Cunard has a few as well, but it's not the easiest thing to organise.

However, personally I'm not that fond of the "British" atmosphere on board. I find I actually get on better, and have more fun, on board with the "American" atmosphere on other cruise lines. Very personal and very idiosyncratic, I know.

BdeckD We have just returned this afternoon from an Oceana cruise. This is the second time within 3 months and the service has deteriorated, the dining room staff (Adriatic)were surly and unhelpful, we never saw our head waiter at all .The Plaza (self service area) were a waste of time , leaving table uncleared, watching elderly people with trays struggle in rough weather. The housekeeping ie wiping tables/tea coffe area clean was virtually non existant. The pursers staff were just as "stand offish", when enquiring about the late start of a film we were told "there is still 5 minutes to go", although the thearte was not open at the time.The overall feeling was one of "you are only the passengers who pay our wages, but who cares." This is one ship we will not travel on again

Hi there. Good to see there is some P&O postings and life on CC! I love the Cruisecritic site and had been spending most of my time in the Cunard section (as we are on the QE2 in Dec for the crossing) but have been on P&O Aurora for a short taster and are booked on their new Arcadia which we are on in July for the Med trip. Anyone else booked on Aracdia? We really liked the Aurora a lot.

Gary

Rex - I think that is the old Aracadia This is a new one being built and goes into service in April.
No, I think Rex is right if I understand his meaning. The four newest Holland America ships are the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Noordam (2006). They're all Vista-class ships, others of which are going to different Carnival brands. The new P&O Arcadia is one of these - essentially a sister ship to the four HAL Vista-class ships.

In fact, when she was originally ordered, the new Arcadia was intended to go to HAL as their fourth Vista-class out of five, but she was then switched in turn to Cunard (as Queen Victoria) and then to P&O. Cunard will now get a slightly stretched Vista-class as Queen Victoria in about 2006 or 2007.

Thanks for this clarification!!! I will check them out. The new P&O Arcadia does look amazing based on the latest brochure and the mini site. I have to wait until July to go on her (but have QE2 crossing in dec to look forward to). gary

Brian

Just off the Oceana yesterday & feel I have to comment

>> the dining room staff (Adriatic)were surly and unhelpful, we never saw our head waiter at all .

I agree about the head waiter - he spoke to others around us but other than a nod on the way in, did not make his presence known :( . However I found the dining staff very good - the ones we had were polite + great fun too.

>> The Plaza (self service area) were a waste of time , leaving table uncleared, watching elderly people with trays struggle in rough weather.

I found tables were cleared quickly (you sometimes had to watch your plate wasn't cleared while you wanted it :) ). If they could get back to a table before it was claimed by someone else it was wiped. Cannot comment on the elderly people as I did not notice anyone having difficulties

>>The pursers staff were just as "stand offish"
If you mean at the reception desk, the only interaction with them was to register the credit card. The girl I spoke to was cheerful and chatty, asking questions etc while waiting for the card to be processed.

In fact service was the main area I could not fault, from waiters on the terrace bar remembering my name, cabin and drink order, to the dining waiters jokes, and discrete service from the cabin steward (ok so we didn't see a lot of him, but the room was clean & tidy). There are other issues to do with the size of the ship that need to be considered before I would rebook, but I would not reject the idea.

But then perhaps we were just lucky, or you unlucky in the individuals assigned to serve us :) .

Karen

Re new Arcadia

Yes it is a vista class hull, but is not the exact same as a HAL vista class ship. More crowded for a start & that is why Cunard did not want her, 60 extra cabins ie 120 people & no large suites! Also extra oriental bar/restraunt up round the funnel, would not like to eat up there in bay of Biscay!

Oceana not a true P&O ship? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Have just returned off same cruise as Karen R & have to say I thought Oceana was a fantastic ship & does not deserve the slating she gets!
The food & service were simply great. It's too easy to over-indulge in the fantastic food. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
My wife & I found the staff very polite. Our head waiter, Peter, came & sought us out on the first night. We soon got to know the waiters (Levison, Kedar & Lawrence) & the head chef Roger. Not that you need any help in getting seconds if you fancy it!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Captain Reid always came over for chat! As Karen's pointed out, the reception staff were always smiling & joking yet remaining professional. And Neil & Karen (Ents Dir & Ents Asst) were more than generous in buying us drinks at the various bars.
I have to say that there are some 'off-hand' old farts that don't speak but this is offset by the many friends & aquaintences that you make. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I would do Oceana again. The one thing I have learned though out of this cruise is... do what you wanna do & ignore the cr*p that others try & enforce upon you!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

• 1 month later...

Archived