AOS 10-14 Review (Short)

Aquahound

...And if they have addressed them and they still are experiencing the same issues perhaps they need to leave SJ and find another port before the ship is totally trashed.

..... I doubt if you would be happy if the AOS left SJ.

Actually, since you brought it up.....

Our Head Waiter told us that AOS is slated to reposition to the West Coast in late 2009.

I'm not sure if he was supposed to tell me that. And I don't know if this has been reported before. Yes, I know about Mariner. But I'd like to think the crew has an inside scoop.

Our Head Waiter told us that AOS is slated to reposition to the West Coast in late 2009.

I'm not sure if he was supposed to tell me that. And I don't know if this has been reported before. Yes, I know about Mariner. But I'd like to think the crew has an inside scoop.

What about Mariner?

And it'll be a sad day when the AOS leaves Puertorrican shores...I've already enjoyed two cruises aboard her (my first two, no less!) and a strong sentimental bond has formed, to the point that every Sunday when I'm driving home from work, I *always* look out to the port from the highway just to see her RCCL royal blue logo/sign above the Viking Crown pop out between the buildings and small promontories. Hopefully they'll replace her with a Genesis-class ship. :)

What about Mariner?

And it'll be a sad day when the AOS leaves Puertorrican shores...I've already enjoyed two cruises aboard her (my first two, no less!) and a strong sentimental bond has formed, to the point that every Sunday when I'm driving home from work, I *always* look out to the port from the highway just to see her RCCL royal blue logo/sign above the Viking Crown pop out between the buildings and small promontories. Hopefully they'll replace her with a Genesis-class ship. :)

I'm sure that RCI will take any problems into consideration when replacing AOS if she is indeed leaving.

I doubt if they will want to expose another ship to the kind of trashing the AOS suffered in the Solarium at the hands of some unruly pax.

I just don't understand the mentality of people who think the price of a ticket entitles them to trash rooms..abuse other pax....take over parts of the ship..etc..etc...

Mariner is going to the West Coast...

Rumors are usually just that, rumors..but who knows...maybe RCI is moving the AOS out of SJ....if what you have reported is going on most of the time they are doing the right thing. Why leave a ship in SJ if it is going to be trashed and abused week after week.

Well I'm going to go find out for myself how bad this all really is in March in celebration of our 20th anniversary. If all they do is act like morons, I'll probably just be amused, may even go loud and obnoxious with them.

But if one of them gets in my space, look out.

Oh absolutely... get loud and obnoxious with them.:cool: :rolleyes:

oh yeah. on the promanade, tghe entertainment and atmosphere turned into little san juan. all the music was spanish tune.

as a participant of the "mens international belly flop contest"

the winne3r was ultimately chosen based on ethnicity, and demographics rather than by the best flop.

FYI. my flop stunk and i was not in the running.

I actually dont sell cruises to locals, our agency handles Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises in Puerto Rico, we actually sell cabin blocks to Local Travel Agencies. About the previos post about the AOS leaving, Royal Caribbean is at this time coordinating mettings whit AAtours and Continnetal Shipping to see the possibility of moving the Adventure of the seas out of San Juan and bringing a newer ship to San Juan like a Freedom Class.

Royal Caribbean have a very Strong market going out in San Juan , Puerto Rico, and believe they are not going to leave San Juan without ships. Actually I am the person how coordinate and recomment Continnental Shipping- The port agency for Royal and Celebrity to move and bring new ships to San Juan. And Believe this board is very important, because I just get a Call --- from Royal Caribbean,about this same problem. We are trying to identify the problems, but locals love crusing and we cant stop them from cruising on their favorite ship. I know you give the fact that you pay for airfare and stays in Hotels in Puerto Rico and ect,and from my point of view that doest not makes you more special that locals crusing on the same ship you are, because onboard the ship every person , local or comming from another country is free to enjoy and have a great time.

I am a Local and believe I dislike many of the comments I read on this boards about locals, because not all of us are as you say. Many of us are polite, well educated people that just love cruising as you do.

I'm sure RCI is eager to bring a new ship to SJ so that it can be trashed by pax.:rolleyes:

Being "free to enjoy" and have a good time does not include the antics the OP and others have listed. Sounds more like the animals have escaped inside the zoo.

And while many of you may be polite and well educated it does seem that some are not and have been sailing on the AOS. This isn't just one isolated incident. It has become common practice.

I understand the "locals" like to cruise but it seems that their "favorite" ship is being trashed in the process.:(

Instead of sending a new ship to SJ perhaps they need to put something much older there....if they are going to scrap it anyway they might as well let the pax dismantle it for them.

I...have an observation.

For the people who has experienced this kind of behavior from fellow passengers, on what route did you go? Aruba, Curaçao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas, right? As I stated before, I enjoyed a cruise aboard the AOS through the other route (Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Thomas) on 10/7-10/14, and it was a trouble-free experience. In fact, the largest percent of passangers were North Americans, not "boricuas".

I...have an observation.

For the people who has experienced this kind of behavior from fellow passengers, on what route did you go?

Interesting point. I had one great experience and one bad.

My bad experience was the Aruba route.

My good experience was the Barbados route.

Aruba is considered to be the "party" route thx to Carlos & Charlie's, and it could attract a larger contingent of crazy people...in groups, no less (the worst)! I, too, did the Aruba route in 2003 and it did seem more out of control than this one, which was very calm and pleasant for all passengers.

Okay I have to post as we did the Aruba route in June 2007 and the Barbados route in June 2006. There was a huge difference in what we experienced. In fact we booked the Aruba route because we LOVED the people, the ports (Barbados) and the ship. We did have a good time this year but it was different. We did run into a little more rude people on this cruise than last. In fact we hung around with many of the locals on our June 2006. I am not sure why the difference but I will say I would love to do the Barbados route again. I am not sure I would do it out of PR though because of our experience this year. I wonder if it is the Aruba route? Just an FYI, we are a couple (early 50's with two children 23 and 21).

I've been following this thread since i'm booked on AOS for Aug 3, 2008. After reading everything on here I have been giving much consideration to canceling even though my kids really want to do this cruise.

BUT, I think Ektor has a good point. When the Quinceaneras date list was posted I had checked and ALL of the sailings are the Aruba route. So maybe it is that route that attracts more locals.

I am so torn about what to do. We have everything planned but I haven't booked my airline tickets yet so I could still cancel. But we were gonna stay in San Juan for 3 days post-cruise since we've never been there before. We were really looking forward to the rainforest and Bio bay.

Has anyone else canceled because of this thread?

Well, it seems that the Serenade does not suffer from this problem. I have searched back for a few years and it is always the Adventure. With that, I hope our Serenade trip in January will be "issue" free.

Aquahound, I know this is a little off-topic, but my wife & I will be staying at the Sheraton OSJ the night before, and walking around OSJ while waiting for our 5pm flight home after. As an ex-Coastie, did you ever check out Sector San Juan, and if so, an suggestions for photo vantage points from outside? I wanted to get some photos for our son. He's currently at a SAR station on Long Island.

PRC

I don't know if I want to go here but what I find disturbing is....

When I first started cruising back in the early 90's RCCL was considered to be a high level cruiseline. Carnival (although I had a great time) was considered a more relaxed/party ship. Most of the time when pricing upcoming cruises I find RCCL higher in price than Carn,Prin,HA, etc. What is happening to their reputation (not just speaking about the aos)?

My point is why would rccl allow such complaints to continue and not address. Think about how some passengers come to the dining room....if they allow it, then it will continue.

RCCL is my favorite cruise line but I can see that sometimes they drop the ball by letting rules go by the wayside.

I really don't think the problem is limited to the aos. We had quite a few rude passengers on our last cruise. Did it ruin our cruise...no but it did have an impact. The attire on some people in the dining room....I have no words other than "anyone heard of the windjammer".

Jouset - Hi, you have been very helpful before letting us know when the "quincenara (sp?)" cruises have been booked. Please don't stop communicating with us. I have certainly appreciated it.

I've been following this thread since i'm booked on AOS for Aug 3, 2008. After reading everything on here I have been giving much consideration to canceling even though my kids really want to do this cruise.

BUT, I think Ektor has a good point. When the Quinceaneras date list was posted I had checked and ALL of the sailings are the Aruba route. So maybe it is that route that attracts more locals.

I am so torn about what to do. We have everything planned but I haven't booked my airline tickets yet so I could still cancel. But we were gonna stay in San Juan for 3 days post-cruise since we've never been there before. We were really looking forward to the rainforest and Bio bay.

Has anyone else canceled because of this thread?

I am booked for the Aruba itinerary on Sept 21, 2007. I stay with it. The best thing to find out is always to go yourself. The AoS is a big ship. If trouble arises I will make changes on that cruise. If it is that bad I will just simple strike San Juan of my list of future ports, write RCI a review (even though I won't demand anything but just to let them know).

Bottomline is that rudeness goes only as far as one let's it go. It is essentially up to RCI to present a pleasant cruising experience to everybody. If if it is really that bad than they just have to cage the rude behavior. I was twice on Carnival and the fun ships are nothing more than a playground for rydeness and running loose teens. Can the Aruba route be that bad or worse?

But the OP in this thread made a great review. Since people seem to have different experiences during different times of the year and different routes we maybe should gather the 'safest' time for the Aruba itinerary and maybe CC can give out a travel warning then.

I would understand if CC wouldn't want to do that and I'd be willing to donate some of my server space for free (with no advertising :D). I think we should considered it a mission for 2008 to inform fellow cruisers and especially new cruisers who have chosen this itinerary to get their feet wet with cruising and RCI.

I actually dont sell cruises to locals, our agency handles Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises in Puerto Rico, we actually sell cabin blocks to Local Travel Agencies. About the previos post about the AOS leaving, Royal Caribbean is at this time coordinating mettings whit AAtours and Continnetal Shipping to see the possibility of moving the Adventure of the seas out of San Juan and bringing a newer ship to San Juan like a Freedom Class.

Royal Caribbean have a very Strong market going out in San Juan , Puerto Rico, and believe they are not going to leave San Juan without ships. Actually I am the person how coordinate and recomment Continnental Shipping- The port agency for Royal and Celebrity to move and bring new ships to San Juan. And Believe this board is very important, because I just get a Call --- from Royal Caribbean,about this same problem. We are trying to identify the problems, but locals love crusing and we cant stop them from cruising on their favorite ship. I know you give the fact that you pay for airfare and stays in Hotels in Puerto Rico and ect,and from my point of view that doest not makes you more special that locals crusing on the same ship you are, because onboard the ship every person , local or comming from another country is free to enjoy and have a great time.

I am a Local and believe I dislike many of the comments I read on this boards about locals, because not all of us are as you say. Many of us are polite, well educated people that just love cruising as you do.

As a regular cruiser I have no influence on locals running haywire. It is up to the locals. You say that the locals are not like that? Well I haven't met locals in San Juan yet but I met a lot of Puerto Ricons in the southeast Florida area. They are nice, courteous and have manners. But this is no indication of a bunch of "wild" Puerto Ricans running loose.

Everybody has the right to enjoy their cruise but they do not have the right to infringe on others and their cruising experience through rude and obnoxious behavior. If I want rude, obnoxious behavior and maniacal teenagers I cruise on Carnival.

Green-Eyed Lady

Just an FYI both of our cruises were Quinceaneras ones. In fact the 2006 had more girls on it than in 2007 (Aruba) and this is the one that we had the most issues.

Not sure why - I just want to add that we did have a good time on both cruises. The ship is nice and both times the service was great.

Karen,

Thanks for the info. Our Aug 3rd sailing is actually the Barbados route and the kids are really looking forward to it. I'm just worried that I'll be constantly wondering what's going on when my kids are out of my sight...they will be 20, 19, and 16 at the time so they are certainly old enough to be out and about on their own but they are basically on the quiet side and might not stick up for themselves if they encounter rudeness directed at them. But then again, I'm sure that could happen anywhere so maybe I should just take a chance. I think I need to make a decision soon so I can book my flights.

Green Eyed Lady,

I do not think that your kids will have trouble. My kids had a blast both times. In fact the one issue my son had once was on the 2006 cruise and it was someone from California. All this being said, the Barbados route is awesome. I loved the beach we went to there - I think Malibu Beach. We got in a taxi and said take us to one of your beautiful beaches. I forget what it cost but we got a beach chair and sat there and ordered lunch and drinks. It was great being waited on. Have a great trip. The pub in the promenade is great too for after dinner with the guitar player. My kids loved that place as he got everyone dancing and singing. A lot of fun.

Reviews like these REALLY make me nervous. I am cruising on AOS (Aruba route) in March with my DH, teenage son, teenage daughter and two of her friends. We are already paying for my daughter's two friends in addition to our family, so 3 cabins and airfare for six is pretty pricey. Been on the Navigator, loved that ship. I liked the S. Caribbean itinerary and thought the Adventure would be a great cruise well worth the extra costs we were incurring.

Seriously having second thoughts now!!! I know there are always some grumblies who are not satisfied with anything, but the complaints about AOS specifically have been fairly consistent. I've heard a lot from adults about their issues and wonder what are the kids experiences on this cruise. I worry it could be worse. Is it worth it to spend so much time worrying instead of enjoying the excitement of the preparations for the cruise?

I've been on two previous cruises and was so excited with the preparations, reading these boards, looking for excursions. Now with this cruise it's been stress because of these repeated negative reviews. It seems to be a roll of the dice as to which cruises out of San Juan have problems and which don't, and I know it's always a gamble, but the odds here seem to much to close. <Sigh>......, so what other options are there?

There is no other time we can ever cruise due to my husband's work schedule. I've looked at the other options for the week we are cruising and of course since we would leave on easter weekend and it's prime spring break time, the other options are all much more expensive then when I originally booked the AOS. So do I chance it and go AOS? Pay the extra and go on another ship? Should I just forget cruising this year and start looking for 2009?

What to do, what to do.......

I have sailed out of PR before...on the Granduer. I wish I had posted my review because I think the saying "For every bad experience, a customer will tell five other people, but when there is a good consumer experience, the customer rarely tells anyone" I fear that people will read the reviews that are posted and change their already book cruises. Its what YOU make it. If you want to be held prisoner by others on the boat, then that is YOUR fault.

Personally, on my last cruise, I had no problem telling kids to get out of the whirlpool or the nightclub, regardless of dirty looks. Also, there is no clause on the RCL boats saying that I can't wear whatever the hell I want while on board (with the exception of the dining hall of course).....The "Ghetto" wear...that is hilarious. Did these people actually say anything to you in the club or you just refused to go in based on LOOKS? Did a fight actually break out?? Probably not, but you let your own biases stop you from going in.

I have sailed out of PR before...on the Granduer. I wish I had posted my review because I think the saying "For every bad experience, a customer will tell five other people, but when there is a good consumer experience, the customer rarely tells anyone" I fear that people will read the reviews that are posted and change their already book cruises. Its what YOU make it. If you want to be held prisoner by others on the boat, then that is YOUR fault.

Personally, on my last cruise, I had no problem telling kids to get out of the whirlpool or the nightclub, regardless of dirty looks. Also, there is no clause on the RCL boats saying that I can't wear whatever the hell I want while on board (with the exception of the dining hall of course).....The "Ghetto" wear...that is hilarious. Did these people actually say anything to you in the club or you just refused to go in based on LOOKS? Did a fight actually break out?? Probably not, but you let your own biases stop you from going in.

Most intelligent post I've read so far.

Ivssushi, keep on planning for that trip. The Adventure is a great ship and while I actually prefer the Barbados route (St. Lucia is amazing, snakes and all :P), Aruba and Curaçao are two beautiful islands that shouldn't be missed, either. :D

Archived