AOS 10-14 Review (Short)

Aquahound

Most intelligent post I've read so far.

Ivssushi, keep on planning for that trip. The Adventure is a great ship and while I actually prefer the Barbados route (St. Lucia is amazing, snakes and all :P), Aruba and Curaçao are two beautiful islands that shouldn't be missed, either. :D

I second these thoughts. :) From what I've read the Barbardos route will probably be just fine.

I second that one! I am staying with my SJ Aruba route and I am sure we will have a great time (I will make that happen!). Even on Liberty this past September, I saw youths with their pants down below their rear ends along with gold teeth etc. People are how they are, and going on a cruise ship isn't going to change them. If this bothers people, then I would agree with the others to not to sail again out of SJ if that is a problem there and they don't like it.

Maggie - Hi, you have been very helpful before letting us know when the "quincenara (sp?)" cruises have been booked. Please don't stop communicating with us. I have certainly appreciated it.:D

Maggie at this time the biggest group for next year is the one Sailing on January 6, 2008 on the AOS. Actually this theme cruises are going all over Princess Cruises, since the Crown Princess is sailing on its firts Quinseanera Cruise on Nov 17.

A question for you guys, the ghetto look ? did all the puertorricans onboard the ship, have this same style ? I dont think so ... Here is a group my son is part of and is very popular in PR is call I Love Adventure Of the seas .... http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2354595515

Yo can see some photos of PR teenagers having a good time, not crazy animals as someone say before out of the zoo.

Great Cruising

What everyone needs to remember is that this board is here so that people can share their experiences, good and bad, on their cruises. Pax spend alot of money on their vacations and I, for one, would hate for them to have the kind of trip the OP had.

The poster who pointed out that some people have good experiences and others have bad ones is correct. There is no guarantee that the same kinds of things will happen on future AOS sailings. There is also no guarantee they won't.

Pax need to make up their own minds. Take the reviews and the posts and make your own decision and take your chances. The fact that the kind of behavior the OP talked about has been talked about before and bolstered by other posters leads me to believe that there is a problem on the AOS. I cannot believe that RCI is not aware of it. I would hope they are taking steps to correct the situation. Time will tell.

I hope that everyone sho is sailing on the AOS has a grand time and that nothing out of the ordinary occurs. If it does happen I hope they too will report back here and inform RCI, like past posters have done.

Aquahound, I know this is a little off-topic, but my wife & I will be staying at the Sheraton OSJ the night before, and walking around OSJ while waiting for our 5pm flight home after. As an ex-Coastie, did you ever check out Sector San Juan, and if so, an suggestions for photo vantage points from outside? I wanted to get some photos for our son. He's currently at a SAR station on Long Island.

I didn't make it to the base while I was there. But, the best vantage you will get is from the ship while cruising past it. You don't see much of it from the land side.

Its what YOU make it. If you want to be held prisoner by others on the boat, then that is YOUR fault.

The "Ghetto" wear...that is hilarious. Did these people actually say anything to you in the club or you just refused to go in based on LOOKS? Did a fight actually break out?? Probably not, but you let your own biases stop you from going in.

Reference the disclaimer prior to my link. I don't care what you think. Unless you saw what I saw, you have no right to lecture me. And it certainly is not my fault for the behavior of others. That's a ridiculous statement.

Jouset - Thanks. Can you tell me if there are any scheduled for April or May?

I think one thing we need to be careful of is comments on "locals". I am from NJ and we are grouped as the NY/NJ rude, pushy, loud people. I have even read reviews from the Crown/Explorer, etc. that complain about "rude New Yorkers" etc. I think there are going to be good and bad in every area. Don't get me wrong, I don't excuse anyones bad behavior but we need to remember that it's not just the AOS.

I think that RCCL needs to #1 enforce the dress code. That will cut down on alot of people not abiding by the rules. They also need to enforce good behavior. Have ta's address it with clients. I know that I was told these things on my first cruises.

I didn't make it to the base while I was there. But, the best vantage you will get is from the ship while cruising past it. You don't see much of it from the land side.

Reference the disclaimer prior to my link. I don't care what you think. Unless you saw what I saw, you have no right to lecture me. And it certainly is not my fault for the behavior of others. That's a ridiculous statement.

Ohhh, aren't we touchy :D . Relax, we are clear that you don't care what I think..you are free to ASSUME what you like......the reply if for other cruisers....like I said, the cruise is what you make it.

And from your own review, you didn't say they BEHAVED in a particular way in the club....they were minding their own business you choose not to go into the club BASED ON THE WAY THEY LOOKED. Last time I checked, wearing particular clothes is not a behavior. In the end, its your money, your free to cruise or not to cruise. I just hope that you don't walk pass me and clutch your wallet based on the way I'm dressed. :p

And from your own review, you didn't say they BEHAVED in a particular way in the club....they were minding their own business you choose not to go into the club BASED ON THE WAY THEY LOOKED. Last time I checked, wearing particular clothes is not a behavior. In the end, its your money, your free to cruise or not to cruise. I just hope that you don't walk pass me and clutch your wallet based on the way I'm dressed. :p

Uh, no. I did not say that. In fact, I did not say exactly what I was doing so you must have come to your own conclusion that I refused to go in because of the way people were dressed. Jumping to conclusions? Well, your assumption is wrong.

Since you must know, I was already in there. As the night went on, the crowd became more and more belligerent, but not due to dress. In fact, I do believe I commented on the nightclub in a separate pragraph than the dress comment. So don't put words in my mouth.

And btw, I do not have to clutch my wallet. I'm the last person someone wants to try to take a wallet from. ;)

In fact, I do believe I commented on the nightclub in a separate pragraph than the dress comment.

Actually, let me correct this. I confused my review with the letter I mailed to RCI.

Folks, and especially mrlddst, I held back tremendously in my review as to what I saw on that ship. I made no mention of some things I saw in the Windjammer, Theater, Ice Rink, etc.

Nothing frustrates me more than someone who thinks they can lecture based on assumptions. I apologize that not all reviews are good. I apologize that the AOS does have a reputation for bad behavior. I could be very specific to some of the filthy, disgusting things I observed on this cruise, but I didn't want the thread to get pulled or locked right away.

I apologize that the AOS does have a reputation for bad behavior.

Don't apologize Paul. You have every right to post your bad experience. After all, this is Cruise CRITIC. If someone is offended that you posted a bad review, or they are offended at what you experienced, that's their problem. Let them start their own "happy" thread. :rolleyes:

Hi !

For April I dont have any Quinseaneras cruises on the Adventure Of the seas, I have one on May 25.

Maggie if you are thinking about Cruising out of San Juan on april its the best time to cruise, why ? well not many locals tend to travel on april and the weather is always perfect. The seas are calm and I bet you will love the april sunshine in the caribbean.

a tip if you want to cruise out of San juan on the AOS , and not want to many locals onboard cruise on March, April, May and August.

If you have any other question I will be happy to answer them.

Actually, let me correct this. I confused my review with the letter I mailed to RCI.

Folks, and especially mrlddst, I held back tremendously in my review as to what I saw on that ship. I made no mention of some things I saw in the Windjammer, Theater, Ice Rink, etc.

Nothing frustrates me more than someone who thinks they can lecture based on assumptions. I apologize that not all reviews are good. I apologize that the AOS does have a reputation for bad behavior. I could be very specific to some of the filthy, disgusting things I observed on this cruise, but I didn't want the thread to get pulled or locked right away.

What are you apologizing for?? I apologize if you think I'm giving you a lecture. My main intention were to the others considering changing their bookings. It was only to say that you make the cruise what it is...that is all. If I have learned anything throughout my short life is that your opinion is just that YOUR opinion. It is YOUR review, write what you like......I'm sorry that I offended you.:cool: AND I PROMISE I WON'T REPLY AGAIN...so that you can get back to your thread.

No need to apologize at all Paul. You gave your experiences of what happened on board.

Also this "A cruise is what you make it" it total BS. When I go on a cruise I expect things to be a certain way. I am the customer and I am the one paying for the vacation. It is up to the cruise lines to live up to their end of the deal. Also I can only take so much of @ssholes and it sounds like your ship was full of them.

I'm glad you wrote to RCI about this cruise. It will be interesting to see what their response is. Others have said that they have written about similar things and have basically been blown off.:(

I just cannot imagine crew members witnessing the things you described and the things you didn't:eek: and doing nothing about it. That is what bothers me the most. Obviously the bad actors are used to acting like idiots and don't see anything wrong with their behavior. But crew members, who are responsible for the safety of ALL pax, shouldn't be turning a blind eye to this kind of stuff. It really makes me wonder if any of us are safe on any sailing on which the crew are afraid to confront unruly pax and do what has to be done.

I read a similar thread about a Carnival cruise on which a group were bullying and harrassing other pax and about fist fights that broke out as well. That report also indicated that crew members did nothing.

Also this "A cruise is what you make it" it total BS. When I go on a cruise I expect things to be a certain way. I am the customer and I am the one paying for the vacation. It is up to the cruise lines to live up to their end of the deal. Also I can only take so much of @ssholes and it sounds like your ship was full of them.

Gator, that's why I like you (despite me being an Ohio State alumni ;)).

You are 100% correct. It's not up to me to just accept bad behavior. "It's what you make of it" or "you find that anywhere you go"..........B.S. It's about the crappy behavior of people who shouldn't be allowed on board.

Here's on very small example of what I saw. One of the Fathers of the kids doing countless cannonballs decided to do a cannonball himself. In doing so, he completely drenched a woman who was sitting on the edge of the pool. The book she was reading was soaked and ruined. She was so upset that she left the pool area entirely.

Should she be told "It's what you make of it?" :rolleyes:

I'm glad you wrote to RCI about this cruise. It will be interesting to see what their response is. Others have said that they have written about similar things and have basically been blown off.:(

I'm sure the turn around will take some time. But I'll be sure to post the response.

Thanks for the review, it made interesting reading, however just wanted to say that maybe you had been a little unfortunate. We recently cruised on the AOS (6th September 07) and we experienced no problems with our South American fellow passengers. In fact i have been on cruises were i have seen North Americans acting in an appalling manner. I think it is just the luck of the draw. Sometimes you cruise with a nice group of people irrespective of their nationality.

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread and the other one that was posted previously for the 10/6 sailing. We are on the aruba route sailing this sunday. I have to say, it upsets me to read the threads and hear about the rude behavior. It definitely can be upsetting, especially with our cruise being right around the corner. We've been on many cruises and we always try and have the best time despite what occurs. One bad experience won't stop us from cruising, but what worries me most is we are going on this cruise with another couple whose husband has never cruised before. I am very worried if this "behavior" acts up this cruise, he might never want to cruise again. I sure hope that is not the case as cruising is such a wonderful way to spend a vacation. This is also our first cruise with RCL so I would hate for first impressions to be lasting ones for a cruiseline I've heard so many great things about and have been wanting to try.

By the way Jouset, do you happen to know if this cruise 10/28/07 is a quinceanera cruise?

Hi !

For April I dont have any Quinseaneras cruises on the Adventure Of the seas, I have one on May 25.

Maggie if you are thinking about Cruising out of San Juan on april its the best time to cruise, why ? well not many locals tend to travel on april and the weather is always perfect. The seas are calm and I bet you will love the april sunshine in the caribbean.

a tip if you want to cruise out of San juan on the AOS , and not want to many locals onboard cruise on March, April, May and August.

If you have any other question I will be happy to answer them.

So what about March? We are cruising out of San Juan on Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008. I thought with the holiday it might be a big travel time. Will there be any Quinseaneras then? Thanks in advance!!!

We have already made a deposit on a cruise out of SJ on AOS for our 10th anniversary. We've been on many cruises and had some good and some not so good experiences. We always try to make the best of it and I hope this one will be great...especially since we are planning so far ahead. I will go a little more prepared now that I've read a few reviews though...

We are just returning to RCCL after cruising Carnival several times...we were getting a little tired of the small pools and the ships didn't seem quite as "grand" so we opted to go back to RCCL. I hope we made the right decison...

No need to apologize at all Paul. You gave your experiences of what happened on board.

No kidding Gordon!!! I got slammed a few years ago for complaining about some things we had to deal with on our cruise. We received a coupon from RCI and decided to sail on that ship a second time. That sailing was a totally different experience, thank goodness :)

Things can go wrong!!! For those of you who have had a great experiences on AOS, I'm glad, however sooooooo many others haven't :eek:

Paul, thanks for your review and thanks for writing to RCI. I really want to cruise out of San Juan so I hope they make some changes.

###

Archived