AOS 10-14 Review (Short)

Aquahound

Hi !

For April I dont have any Quinseaneras cruises on the Adventure Of the seas, I have one on May 25.

Maggie if you are thinking about Cruising out of San Juan on april its the best time to cruise, why ? well not many locals tend to travel on april and the weather is always perfect. The seas are calm and I bet you will love the april sunshine in the caribbean.

a tip if you want to cruise out of San juan on the AOS , and not want to many locals onboard cruise on March, April, May and August.

If you have any other question I will be happy to answer them.

I was thinking about booking a cruise on AOS the end of Aug why don't the locals cruise then? Are there any quinseaneras for Aug that you know of? We sailed on the Monarch out of PR New Years Eve 12/31/2000 I thought they took over the ship due to the New Year I guess it has just gotten worse.

I've been following this thread since i'm booked on AOS for Aug 3, 2008. After reading everything on here I have been giving much consideration to canceling even though my kids really want to do this cruise.

BUT, I think Ektor has a good point. When the Quinceaneras date list was posted I had checked and ALL of the sailings are the Aruba route. So maybe it is that route that attracts more locals.

I am so torn about what to do. We have everything planned but I haven't booked my airline tickets yet so I could still cancel. But we were gonna stay in San Juan for 3 days post-cruise since we've never been there before. We were really looking forward to the rainforest and Bio bay.

Has anyone else canceled because of this thread?

We have the May 25 2008 AOS Barbados route booked and it looks like it is also a Quinceaneras cruise. We are considering cancelling this cruise.

Our first cruise was the Mariner 12/06 and we had such a great time - I am concerned that any experience other than "great" on the AOS would cause us to re-think cruising as our new way to vacation.

We have the May 25 2008 AOS Barbados route booked and it looks like it is also a Quinceaneras cruise. We are considering cancelling this cruise.

If, in fact, you do end up canceling, please tell RCI your reasons for doing so. I'm hoping that with enough complaints, they'll take some sort of action to correct this.

After my experience, there's no way I would even risk a Quinceanera cruise.

I wrote an email yesterday too. Since the AOS will be our first cruise with RC I thought it might help to express my concerns and to note to him that the up coming experience would determine if I ever cruise RC in the future. I really don't think that it will be read and if it is it will probably be as you have said "blown off" BUT maybe, if everyone that has posted on this thread with a bad experience on the AOS wrote a letter, surely someone would have to take note due to the numbers of letters they receive in a few days time span. What do you think?

If you have had a bad experience due to the behavior of passengers on the AOS and the crew did nothing to rectify the situation, then WRITE A LETTER!!!!

Who knows, maybe we will be heard!

Here's on very small example of what I saw. One of the Fathers of the kids doing countless cannonballs decided to do a cannonball himself. In doing so, he completely drenched a woman who was sitting on the edge of the pool. The book she was reading was soaked and ruined. She was so upset that she left the pool area entirely.

Should she be told "It's what you make of it?" :rolleyes:

It is ridiculous that the father did this, however the woman is pretty stupid to be sitting at the edge of a pool with a book.:rolleyes:

Jouset, thanks for the information.

however the woman is pretty stupid to be sitting at the edge of a pool with a book.:rolleyes:

It may seem that way initially. But there is a large area of 1 inch deep water at the forward portion of the pool. The wood edging she was sitting on was about 7 feet from the pool itself. If you are not familiar, click this link.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2221799220080150150hRBqhZ

This picture is from another cruise, but it shows the distance I'm talking about. Look at the woman in the green bathing suite. That's where the woman with the book was sitting. She cannot be blamed for getting so wet.

Hey Aqua, I don't suppose you'd be willing to post a copy of the letter to sent, would you?

Respectfully, no. The letter would be sure to create more drama. And I'm certain some people would take it to mean much more than what it says. If and when RCI responds, I'll be happy to post theirs though.

So what about March? We are cruising out of San Juan on Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008. I thought with the holiday it might be a big travel time. Will there be any Quinseaneras then? Thanks in advance!!!

As say before , March April or May is a great time to cruise the Southern Caribbean. Actually the holiday here in Puerto Rico its call Semana Santa, and is more religious that a holiday, its from march 16-23, not to many Puerto Ricans tend to cruise on this week. And not I am not coordinating any special cruises on this week or either the week you are traveling.

About the question, of why puertorricans not cruise on August, well here in Puerto Rico, the School year is from August- May ,and not to many people cruise on the begining of the school year. The most popular times to travel are September and October, because of the low prices. And then on November, december and January is FELIZ NAVIDAD for all the Puerto Ricans , here on the island we have the longest christmas of the world, begginig on the very firt day of november and ending on the 3er week of january. Believe me here in Puerto Rico we love the christmas spirit, october is not yet ending and many houses are already on a holiday theme. The most popular week of traveling on this holiday time are:

Dec 8 - 15 ( second week of december )

Dec 22 - Christmas Sailing

Dec 31 - New Years Sailing

Jan 6 - The tree kings Day , is a very popular time to travel.

Thanks againg , and I hope some of you dont believe the general view some posters are giving of puertorricans on this board. Belive if you are comming to Puerto Rico, you have in Me and many other locals a very warm welcom to our island, and many new friends.

Great Cruising.

Out of point --- I just book a cruise today, Any of you guys going >> Serenade of the Seas dec 8 , 2007 ??

We are cruising on AOS on 5-18-2008. Will there be any Quinseanera on that cruise, are kids out of school then? Just wondering, here in the Midwest most schools do not break for summer till the first week in June.

We are staying 2 days pre-cruise and 1 post to enjoy more of PR.

Thanks for your help.

Judi

Thanks againg , and I hope some of you dont believe the general view some posters are giving of puertorricans on this board.

If this is the opinion anyone has gotten from this thread, IMO, they've missed the whole point the OP was trying to make.

I am Latin descent and I know first hand the behavior of the Puerto Ricans on the Adventure Of The Seas. Franklin, I am embarrassed for them. They do not represent us as a whole and I think most people are smart enough to know that.

I applaud those who are brave enough to stand up, despite the flames.

If this is the opinion anyone has gotten from this thread, IMO, they've missed the whole point the OP was trying to make.

I am Latin descent and I know first hand the behavior of the Puerto Ricans on the Adventure Of The Seas. Franklin, I am embarrassed for them. They do not represent us as a whole and I think most people are smart enough to know that.

Excellent Cruzholic....

Not sure what to do with our cruise Sept of 2008 on the Aruba route. I have followed this thread reading and re-reading.

We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary next year on this cruise and have plannned one night pre-cruise and 4 nights post cruise.....plus we spent dollars for an OS for the occasion. I even already purchased the air-fare last weekend (with no restrictions for stuff that happens).

So, do I pull the plug or not?

I have not had the opportunity to feel out of place on a cruise.....guess the closest was on Explorer in Sept a couple of years ago. Most of the passengers were from Europe. The men (all ages) wore Speedos and some of the women wore thongs (we did not)

Auqa> you said you will not sail from PR again? correct?

Did you ever feel unsafe on the ship? (can't remember)

When you were in port was the port experience any different than what you expected?

This will be cruise #9 for us. We have yet to have a bad cruise. Yeah, we get the occasional meal that is not up to par or the occasional dinner mates that we can't stand by the end of the cruise.

We also like to travel in the slower times of the years for the "sometimes" better pricing and fewer kids.

Auqa> you said you will not sail from PR again? correct?

Did you ever feel unsafe on the ship? (can't remember)

When you were in port was the port experience any different than what you expected?

At no time did I feel unsafe. It certainly wasn't that bad. The week was just a collective of annoyances. Each one was nothing in and of themselves. But all added up, I felt a little deprived of the vacation I waited all year for.

It's not that I wouldn't sail from PR again, it's just that I will not cruise the AOS out of PR again. It seems to be the only ship with this bad of a rep. And this comes from an RCI cheerleader!!!

The ports made all the difference. I loved each and every stop, and they were all a nice break from the hoopla on the ship.

Hope this helps.

Thank you and the OP for your honest comments :)

###

Thanks Cruz. Let me know next time you take one of those short journeys on the Majesty. I'd be happy to join you! ;)

hey is anyone cruising on AOS the week of February 17th? It is President's week...school vacation week here in MA...have checked out the meet and mingle..but unfortuately it is a very quiet group as for posting...not much in the way of talkers...please let me know if anyone is coming this week...thanks, Nancy

GO RED SOX!!!!

Gator, that's why I like you (despite me being an Ohio State alumni ;)).

You are 100% correct. It's not up to me to just accept bad behavior. "It's what you make of it" or "you find that anywhere you go"..........B.S. It's about the crappy behavior of people who shouldn't be allowed on board.

Here's on very small example of what I saw. One of the Fathers of the kids doing countless cannonballs decided to do a cannonball himself. In doing so, he completely drenched a woman who was sitting on the edge of the pool. The book she was reading was soaked and ruined. She was so upset that she left the pool area entirely.

Should she be told "It's what you make of it?" :rolleyes:

Looks like OSU is going to have a run at it again this year. This thread has taken some interesting turns but it doesn't surprise me.

No kidding Gordon!!! I got slammed a few years ago for complaining about some things we had to deal with on our cruise. We received a coupon from RCI and decided to sail on that ship a second time. That sailing was a totally different experience, thank goodness :)

Things can go wrong!!! For those of you who have had a great experiences on AOS, I'm glad, however sooooooo many others haven't :eek:

Paul, thanks for your review and thanks for writing to RCI. I really want to cruise out of San Juan so I hope they make some changes.

###

I've had some bad cruises myself over the years. It happens and when it does I am not afraid to post about it. I don't worry about others coming down on me. I have thick skin.:) ;)

I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about the AOS. I didn't hear them before I cruised on her in 12/05. I was worried because of the things that I had read but I really have a hard time with anyone singling out a group of people. I went with a group of 4 of us and we definitely experienced line cutting by groups. Obviously many local people travel with family and in groups and unfortunately felt entitled to cut in line to be together. This irritated me and my fellow travelers. While on board there seemed to be many families traveling together and dancing and singing and doing salsa! We loved to party with everybody! We enjoyed all our table mates. I love the energy and enthusiasm that my SJU mates bring to a cruise so...how can we all exist in harmony?! This was one of the funnest cruises I've been on!

Hi All,

I wrote an email on 10-24 and yesterday, 10-25 I received a call from a lady in Goldstein's office. I almost couldn't believe it! The email I sent expressed my concerns about what I had read on CC for the last year about the behavior or some passengers on the AOS. I told him that I was very concerned, that this would be our first RC cruise coming up this November (gave him the date of my upcoming cruise and booking number) I also gave him the link to this particular thread and told him that one of the things that concerned me was that it appeared by what most have said, that the crew is doing nothing to rectify the situation.

The lady who called me said that this thread was read along with others, especially on this subject. She stated again that RC monitors CC to keep up with its customers, their likes and dislikes (reviews) etc. She was, as you would imagine, very reassuring that this type of behavior is not something that RC takes lightly. Line cutting is one thing, but pushing and shoving, physical altercations, theft, will not be tolerated. Now, here is something that she stated that made so much sense to me. She said, sometimes, people wait until they get home and complain to family and friends, or post on this board their issues AFTER they have left the ship. She said that is unfortunate because RC/crew cannot do anything after everyone has left the ship. She told me that if we experience pushing shoving, physical altercation, theft etc. that we should demand from any crew member IMMEDIATELY to see Security! She said that in some cases, that the people involved will be given a warning and/or removed from the ship at the next port of call. That those people removed will most likely be not be allowed to cruise with RC ever again.

Sorry, I know this is long winded.....but I was so impressed that I received this call! I will certainly take her advise AND will encourage others that experience this type of behavior to do the same. It seems to me that they are listening now but they have to know about the issues while they are happening so they can take action. It is not fair for us to let the only action we take to be complaints after the fact.

I'm sure that some of you will say that you did, in fact, contact security (i sure hope this isn't the case, then I really will be scared to death about our cruise in November on the AOS) and that they did nothing. But I really hope that things will be changing and that this much needed cruise will be the best yet! I love the culture that is the people of SJ..... for the most part they seem to be fun loving, proud, family oriented people and it was this that I enjoyed watching on my other 2 cruises out of San Juan.

So, CC'ers, what do you think?

Tina, you make a very good point. But......

A lot of the behavior was reported to crew members. Security is not everywhere, so they are not always an option. In fact, much of the behavior occurred right in front of crew members who said nothing.

I never once saw a Pool Attendant, except for the towel girl. I asked her to say something to the kids and their parents in the main pool. But nothing ever happened.

Hey Aqua..

I was afraid this would be your response.....so I'm once again not very encouraged about our cruise in November......Were you the one who wrote a letter as well? If not, please do so. I was encouraged when you said that you never felt that your safety was in danger.....at least there is that! I'll definately write a review and will contact the lady that I talked with after the cruise with my take on all of this. I also will not hesitate to be polite and ask that they do something about anyone not following the rules and if I don't get heard, believe me, I will scream loud and clear!!!

We all save for and look forward to our cruises, however many we get to take each year and it's just so upsetting when a cruise goes bad due to bad behavior of fellow cruisers (whatever nationality/group they might be)

Wish us luck!

;)

Maybe they need to hire more security and make them more present instead of waiting for the reports. Fund the extra cost by not discounting the last minute sales quite so much. It's great that staff are so customer oriented but they need to learn to stand up to a passenger at times and deviate from the "customer is always right". Even if some pax aren't use to queueing up, I'm sure they can learn this is how its done on a ship with a friendly but firm reminder from a crew member dressed in a security uniform.

Archived