QM2, Golden Lion Pub, Mushy Peas

Wadadli1

Ah - there's your problem. In UK, they sell "dripping" or "lard" which is refined white fat of the purity to do the business. Very much frowned on, as health wise you might as well eat nuclear fuel. In the absence of this, just use vegetable/olive etc oil. Actual dripings from the roast will be full of stuff just waiting to burn and stick.

I can't believe this................

Samantha,

I do declare you have spent way too much time since your eviction from Planet Lemurslie getting in touch with our feminine side. And why the heck are we all talking about food - I'm so flaming hungry at the moment I could eat an elephant between two bread-vans.

Jimmy

Wrong so wrong

Kathy,

I heartily endorse the above comment. If you overheat the normal canned marrowfat peas you tend to end up with a kind of sickly looking green liquor with pea-skins floating in it. Trust me - I've been there:D Lots of other good advice here though.

Sometimes these processed foods that are very characteristic of a specific national cuisine are best avoided. I once "acquired" a tin of Mexican re-fried beans from somewhere and didn't have a clue what to do with it. One of my work colleagues here happened to be Mexican so I asked his advice. He said "chuck it in the bin". I'll never know now because I followed his advice to the letter.

Ever tried haggis by the way?

Jimmy

Samantha,

I do declare you have spent way too much time since your eviction from Planet Lemurslie getting in touch with our feminine side. And why the heck are we all talking about food - I'm so flaming hungry at the moment I could eat an elephant between two bread-vans.

Jimmy

Ah yes. Elephant. The snack you can eat between wheels................

Ah yes. Elephant. The snack you can eat between wheels................

Verrrrrryyy Good!!!! I must file that one away for future reference.

By the way will you pack it the heck in with the recipes and general helpfulness - you're freaking me out big time. What's on offer next "Helpful Household Hints for Harassed Housewives", "Distance Learning Course in GCSE Domestic Science", "How to Cope with Yeast Infections without Pharmacological Intervention" or what? :eek:

Pack in paintin' the cludgey for five minutes, sit down with a large glass of the green-stuff and have a serious reality check. Then write us a Murrrrr Durrrrrr saga or six.

Yours,

Worried of York :confused:

Verrrrrryyy Good!!!! I must file that one away for future reference.

By the way will you pack it the heck in with the recipes and general helpfulness - you're freaking me out big time. What's on offer next "Helpful Household Hints for Harassed Housewives", "Distance Learning Course in GCSE Domestic Science", "How to Cope with Yeast Infections without Pharmacological Intervention" or what? :eek:

Pack in paintin' the cludgey for five minutes, sit down with a large glass of the green-stuff and have a serious reality check. Then write us a Murrrrr Durrrrrr saga or six.

Yours,

Worried of York :confused:

I'm sorry, I've no idea what you're talking about. This is Samantha here, I like cooking (and cleaning of course). I find some of your references smutty and uncalled for, and certainly disrespectful to the management who (did I mention) I think are doing a great job.

I certainly look forward to visiting The Golden Pub if I sail Cunard, where I expect a good meal and a fine beverage can be had for a good price.

Would anyone like to discuss dusting?

:)

Jimmy

EEEUUUWWWWWWWWWW! :eek: :eek: :eek: No way, I know what's in there!

I decided to do a dinner for Robert Burns birthday one year. I looked up haggis on the net, and found a site with many recipes, sorted from greatest number of disgusting ingredients to fewest. The one with the fewest was sort of a ground lamb meatloaf, which was the version I made. Just for a starter--salmon for the main course, much more civilized.

Kathy

Ah - there's your problem. In UK, they sell "dripping" or "lard" which is refined white fat of the purity to do the business. Very much frowned on, as health wise you might as well eat nuclear fuel. In the absence of this, just use vegetable/olive etc oil. Actual dripings from the roast will be full of stuff just waiting to burn and stick.

Mmmm, lard. I believe there might still be stores that sell it, hidden away where only the most astute shopper can find it.

But I disagree about the drippings. The 'stuff' in the drippings adds to the flavor. If I used olive oil, my Yorkshire grandparents would turn over in their graves!

Shall we move on to the other great British delicacy, the fried slice?

Kathy

Dripping is not lard. Lard is pretty much tasteless, wheras dripping tastes of salty cow. Much nicer for fried bread and eggs.

I notice a line is being drawn. Either you are pro yorkshires or pro peas. Why not have both?

As as for haggis.......It is one of my favourite meals, even though it is from Jockistan. (I do sprinkle it with tobasco sauce though mmmmm.)

Mmmm, lard. I believe there might still be stores that sell it, hidden away where only the most astute shopper can find it.

But I disagree about the drippings. The 'stuff' in the drippings adds to the flavor. If I used olive oil, my Yorkshire grandparents would turn over in their graves!

Shall we move on to the other great British delicacy, the fried slice?

Kathy

Do give me your recipe.

Samantha

Oh for the love of God......quoits, anyone?

Malcolm

Just ignore me, er, him.

Samantha

EEEUUUWWWWWWWWWW! :eek: :eek: :eek: No way, I know what's in there!

Ah - the trick is not to think about what's in there. Just close your eyes and eat it.

Mind you, it's a strange thing, but I'm pretty certain that, apart from the oatmeal and the onions, there's not a single ingredient that I would eat on its own. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts as they say.

Jimmy

Do correct me if l am wrong here as l am just an imported Yorkshire lady from Shropshire. although married to a true gorgeous Yorkshireman ok!!;)

Yorkshire puddings traditionally should be served prior to the main course of roast beef.

Ideally with lashings of gravy!

This in the 'Old' days (Hahum)! would be served for the purpose of filling one up, particularly for those folk on a low budget as one would call it these days!:)

Most fats are acceptable for cooking the puds in, although the best is of course beef fat, which naturally should come from the roasted joint, and HS is correct, you have to get the fat almost at firing point before pouring in the batter, which should be made some time earlier and allowed to rest before the cooking procedure!:)

Oh My Lord l am beginning to sound like Delia Smith!!!:(

And complimenting HS to boot hmm!!:D

Oh Well, time for a large G & T l think!!:cool:

Thank You

Jackie

Do they do mince and tatties in the Golden Pub? I am making them now for his tea, it's one of his favourites, although he doesn't deserve it as all he's done in the bathroom is paint some tiny little edgy bits, which he says take forever. Huh - a likely story. He's probably been on here reading e-mails all day.

Samantha

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. E-mails.............

Malcolm

Yorkshire puddings traditionally should be served prior to the main course of roast beef.

Ideally with lashings of gravy!

That's how my father eats it--so much gravy it's hard to know what's really on the plate.

Most fats are acceptable for cooking the puds in, although the best is of course beef fat, which naturally should come from the roasted joint,

NOTE TO AMERICANS: 'joint' is a roast, like a roast beef. Inviting guests over for a Sunday joint isn't what it sounds like.

and HS is correct, you have to get the fat almost at firing point before pouring in the batter, which should be made some time earlier and allowed to rest before the cooking procedure!:)

If you don't get a good sizzle when the batter goes in, the fat wasn't hot enough.

According to my Yorkshire cousin, you make the batter before you leave for church. (It's a timing thing, not a religious ritual)

Kathy

According to my Yorkshire cousin, you make the batter before you leave for church. (It's a timing thing, not a religious ritual)

Kathy

Yes, my mother, who spent quite a lot of her childhood in a Yorkshire manse, always did the same, then left the batter in a cool place, until needed.

I certainly look forward to visiting The Golden Pub if I sail Cunard, where I expect a good meal and a fine beverage can be had for a good price.

:)

Why don't you change that to "when" I sail Cunard... The meal is free, just pay for your beer(s)

Yer Mum

Jimmy

Anybody know if Cunard has attempted to serve the Haggis to the masses on QE2 or QM2 for that matter? :) If any line could prepare it properly, I trust it would be Cunard. I had the worst kippers and eggs for breakfast on the Costa Magica this past year which I am quite sure that if anyone attempted to eat them for the first time, they would never have them again. The pasta, on the other hand, was superb.

Anybody know if Cunard has attempted to serve the Haggis to the masses on QE2 or QM2 for that matter? :) If any line could prepare it properly, I trust it would be Cunard. I had the worst kippers and eggs for breakfast on the Costa Magica this past year which I am quite sure that if anyone attempted to eat them for the first time, they would never have them again. The pasta, on the other hand, was superb.

What happens on the QE2 on Burns Night, which presumably comes in the early stages of the world cruise? Surely they do somehing appropriate including haggis. Tragically this is something I will now never have the chance to discover for myself.:(

Many many years ago, back before the Lido was done over--does anyone remember the serving carts in the hallway?--it must have been our first or second time on QE2, they did a pub lunch in the Lido. I did not try the haggis. DH liked it, but as he'd never had haggis before, that doesn't say anything for its authenticity. I recall that day fondly--I kept going back for more Yorkshire puds!

QE2 has done 'pub food' lunches again, but I don't recall seeing haggis on the menu. Come to think of it, the haggis was in her pre-carnival days. Anyone remember Trafalgar house?

Kathy

Haddock, chips and mushy peas! Heaven!:D

Haddock must be cooked in beef dripping though - it's not the same otherwise.

To all our American visitors: next time you are in Edinburgh (Leith dockyard close to the Royal Yacht Britannia exhibit), Leeds and also in Southampton (West Quay Shopping Mall) you just gotta try Harry Ramsden's - the most famous fish and chips in the world. You will love it believe me. Look up their website. Bon Appetite.:)

I seem to remember haggis on New Year's Eve in 1992. But weather that's a true memory or just wishful thinking I can't remember:)

Perhaps you will be offered some this New Year. (Imagine me speaking this through the gritted teeth of one green with envy.):)

Haddock, chips and mushy peas! Heaven!:D

Haddock must be cooked in beef dripping though - it's not the same otherwise.

To all our American visitors: next time you are in Edinburgh (Leith dockyard close to the Royal Yacht Britannia exhibit), Leeds and also in Southampton (West Quay Shopping Mall) you just gotta try Harry Ramsden's - the most famous fish and chips in the world. You will love it believe me. Look up their website. Bon Appetite.:)

The Leeds/Bradford Harry Ramsden is a place of reknown, it was his first and is enormous. Eat in, take out, cafeteria, waitress service, picnic area.

Bradford Alhambra Panto followed by Haddock supper, wonderful.

Archived