QM2, Golden Lion Pub, Mushy Peas

Wadadli1

Maldcolm,

Remember when I asked you about mushy peas? In the Golden Lion on QM2 they have what they call a pub lunch, and they serve them with one dish. I didn't order that one, but asked if I could have some mushy peas on the side. Yes, thinking of you. ;) I sort of got them, because they were served on Paulie's plate of food. I didn't worry, because I reckoned this sort of dish isn't going to be something he likes (doesn't like mushy veg). So I took a bite and found them delish. Can't wait to have more!

Well! A few minutes later I went for more and what did I find? He had eaten all of my mushy peas! Cochon! This was the only time the service was not good on the ship so if I'd asked for some more I'd still be there waiting for them.

So. I found something called "marrowfat peas" at the grocery store. They are dried and seem like they might eventually be mushy peas. Are they? The packet does say it comes from England, but I await your guidance, as I still haven't gotten my rightful allotment of mushy peas.

TIA,

OMG! I got a can of mushy peas for my mom AS A JOKE at the British food store. LOL! I hope you enjoy them, Angela! Me, I won't eat any kind of peas, much less those. :eek:

Otherwise, we are looking forward to the pub. :)

Cheers,

Susan

I think that mushy peas were traditionally made with dried peas, which would have to be cooked for a considerable time after overnight soaking. I seem to remember that you have to add a little sodium bicarbonate to enhance the colour. I will have to research this further in the interest of distributing a great British dish to the wider world:)

I think that mushy peas were traditionally made with dried peas, which would have to be cooked for a considerable time after overnight soaking. I seem to remember that you have to add a little sodium bicarbonate to enhance the colour. I will have to research this further in the interest of distributing a great British dish to the wider world:)

Yes, yes!! My mother used to make them ALL the time when we lived in Ireland (in the days before quick-serve foods like tins of mushy peas!), and makes them on occasion now that they're retired in Florida. She would soak them overnight (they come with the bicarb. of soda tablet, usually) and cook them the next day. When I was younger, I hated them...now, I've acquired a taste for them and love to have them once in a while (though haven't tried to make them myself yet!)

Wonder if they serve them in the pub on the QE2? Or if I can place a special order for them in the Princess Grill? smile

Frances

Wonder if they serve them in the pub on the QE2? Or if I can place a special order for them in the Princess Grill? smile

Frances

I seem to recall that the dishes on both ships in the Golden Lion are the same. I am trying to remember whether Leo had some when he had the fish and chips.

Put loads of pepper on them. It really brings out the flavour. There is nothing better than a Steak and Kidney pudding, chips, peas and gravy from the local chippy.

"Mushy Peas were invented in Lancashire, They are dried green marrowfat peas ( large). They are soaked in water for at least 24 hours with bicarbonate of soda. They are then rinsed in cold water till the water runs clear. The peas are then put in a pan covered with cold water with salt and sugar added. They are brought to the boil then simmered till they are mushy with no hard centres.

They are a bit like marmite you either love then ( from the north of England) or hate them ( from the south).

I think they are fantastic, with deep fried fish ( haddock) & chips. cooked in beef dripping not oil as only beef dripping is hot enough to seal the fish properly."

So I'm told.

I reckoned this sort of dish isn't going to be something he likes (doesn't like mushy veg). So I took a bite and found them delish. Can't wait to have more!

Well! A few minutes later I went for more and what did I find? He had eaten all of my mushy peas!

Snooze, you lose! :cool:

Paul

no food for me tonight :(

Try adding sugar:)

Yes you must add sugar, it's how my Grandma used to cook them, she also used to refer to them as 'Sloppy' peas too, never the same l don't think out of a tin. Best way is to soak them, much better taste! :)

Jackie

Yay yay yay yay yay!

I'm going to have mushy peas with my dinner tonight and GUESS WHO isn't getting any!

Only kidding, sweetie pie!

Now comes the tough decision of how to eat them--look how many suggestions I've got:

HP sauce

vinegar

sugar

loads of pepper

mint sauce

Perhaps cook them with the sugar and then pick something else from the list?

Thank you all so much for your help and serving suggestions. Oh, and sorry I spelled your name wrong, Malcolm. Must have gotten a case of fumble fingers in my peas excitement. :p

Hmm, perhaps I should serve some to the family at the upcoming festive holiday meals?

Angela,

Divide into five small bowls and sample with each condiment.

Voila! Problem solved!

Black Eyed Peas are often eaten with a hot salsa or pepper chutney. Dad always ate them with a sort of green pepper salsa. That might also go well on Mushy peas-Or maybe Cholula sauce!

"Mushy Peas were invented in Lancashire, They are dried green marrowfat peas ( large). They are soaked in water for at least 24 hours with bicarbonate of soda. They are then rinsed in cold water till the water runs clear. The peas are then put in a pan covered with cold water with salt and sugar added. They are brought to the boil then simmered till they are mushy with no hard centres.

They are a bit like marmite you either love then ( from the north of England) or hate them ( from the south).

I think they are fantastic, with deep fried fish ( haddock) & chips. cooked in beef dripping not oil as only beef dripping is hot enough to seal the fish properly."

So I'm told.

My English heritage is northern, but I do not 'get' mushy peas. Lancashire can keep them. Give me Yorkshire pudding any day!

Kathy

Give me Yorkshire pudding any day!

That should read, "Give me Yorkshire pudding every day!", I believe.

I felt quite proud of myself the first time I tried making Yorkshire pudding along with the roast, when this pillow of dough puffed up in the roasting tin, all high and browned and hollow inside.

And Robertson's Silver Shred (lemon marmalade), which is a wonderful thing in the morning, on your toast with your coffee and cream, and tomato juice...

That should read, "Give me Yorkshire pudding every day!", I believe.

Absolutely!

I felt quite proud of myself the first time I tried making Yorkshire pudding along with the roast, when this pillow of dough puffed up in the roasting tin, all high and browned and hollow inside.

Mmmm, finished dinner two hours ago, and you're making me hungry! I remember making a roast beef dinner for friends, and just as I was taking the Yorkie pud out of the oven, one of the guests said, "You know, I don't get the whole thing about Yorkshire pudding." As I was the hostess, it would have been improper for me to say "Then could I have yours?" but I wanted to.

On our last trip to England, we were in ASDA's and saw frozen Yorkshire puddings. Sacrilege!

Kathy

Mushy Peas update:

The peas I was able to buy were called "pre soaked", or something like that, which meant less cooking time, the bicarbonate was already in there, and didn't need soaking. They needed a bit more time and water than the recipe suggested, and weren't as mushy as the ones we had on QM2. I added salt and sugar to the water. We didn't have any HP Sauce and I imagined Happyscot's vinegar was Malt (fish and chips) and we're out of that, so I divvied up mine into two piles on the plate, one with pepper and one with mint sauce. Delicious!

I would like to try them from scratch, though I'm not sure they sell them here. Either way, we'll enjoy them again. :p

Ken, I made Yorkshire pudding once, in a muffin tin. They looked brilliant when they came out of the oven, but wouldn't come out of the tin! I had to toss the whole lot. :( I swear I followed the directions--what do you think I did wrong, aside from getting one of those non-stick tins?

Mushy Peas update:

The peas I was able to buy were called "pre soaked", or something like that, which meant less cooking time, the bicarbonate was already in there, and didn't need soaking. They needed a bit more time and water than the recipe suggested, and weren't as mushy as the ones we had on QM2. I added salt and sugar to the water. We didn't have any HP Sauce and I imagined Happyscot's vinegar was Malt (fish and chips) and we're out of that, so I divvied up mine into two piles on the plate, one with pepper and one with mint sauce. Delicious!

I would like to try them from scratch, though I'm not sure they sell them here. Either way, we'll enjoy them again. :p

Ken, I made Yorkshire pudding once, in a muffin tin. They looked brilliant when they came out of the oven, but wouldn't come out of the tin! I had to toss the whole lot. :( I swear I followed the directions--what do you think I did wrong, aside from getting one of those non-stick tins?

You probably didn't have enough of the beef fat in the tins. It should be hot ("popping" not smoking) when the batter goes in.

You probably didn't have enough of the beef fat in the tins. It should be hot ("popping" not smoking) when the batter goes in.

See, Kathy, I would swear that I did! So perhaps I underestimated on how much beef fat is enough?

You have to keep trying and figure out the right amount of fat for the pan you're using. The recipes call for 'drippings' from the roast. Make sure enough of the drippings are fat, and not other juices. There should be a thin layer across the bottom of each cell in the tin. You can be a little extra generous, as it won't come out greasy. Extra fat will be left in the pan after you take out the puddings.

I find it difficult to get enough fat out of a roast (I usually use a top round, which is lean) because cattle are bred so lean these days and then the butchers trim the roasts too much. I buy a piece of suet to put over the roast as it cooks, so it's self-basting and I have enough fat to make Yorkshire pudding more than once. (In fact, there's a little baggie in my freezer marked 'YP fat' in case I want to make Yorkshire pudding with something else.)

Mushy Peas update:

1/ Bit of dripping in the tin. Olive oil will do.

2/ Put in oven on highest setting til oil on point of catching fire and oven filled with smoke.

3/ Remove, pour in batter, slam back in - all in 0.0007 of a second - the key is the heat: the bottom of the pudding has to cook more or less instantly, then it won't stick. Turn oven down, but only a bit, or leave it up, but don't go too far away unless you live VERY near a fire engine.

The key is centre-of-the-sun hot fat and a high oven. Place some bricks under it if yours isn't like that.

Holy smoke batman, recipes now. Is this the new Happyscot?

You have to keep trying and figure out the right amount of fat for the pan you're using. The recipes call for 'drippings' from the roast. Make sure enough of the drippings are fat, and not other juices. There should be a thin layer across the bottom of each cell in the tin. You can be a little extra generous, as it won't come out greasy. Extra fat will be left in the pan after you take out the puddings.

I find it difficult to get enough fat out of a roast (I usually use a top round, which is lean) because cattle are bred so lean these days and then the butchers trim the roasts too much. I buy a piece of suet to put over the roast as it cooks, so it's self-basting and I have enough fat to make Yorkshire pudding more than once. (In fact, there's a little baggie in my freezer marked 'YP fat' in case I want to make Yorkshire pudding with something else.)

Ah - there's your problem. In UK, they sell "dripping" or "lard" which is refined white fat of the purity to do the business. Very much frowned on, as health wise you might as well eat nuclear fuel. In the absence of this, just use vegetable/olive etc oil. Actual dripings from the roast will be full of stuff just waiting to burn and stick.

I can't believe this................

Archived