Fires in California-Look at San Diego Website

SheriNtexas

I've been watching news coverage all day of the horrible fires in California when I remembered the kroozcam website. Here is the linkDestinationWebCam - San Diego Click and pan around and you can see just how smoky it is there! What a horrible thing those people are going through. :(

Yes it is. My son is stationed there. He is in the navy and said people are having to leave work to move their families.

Yeah, it's really yucky here...we got evacuated and are hanging out at BIL's condo, total of 10 people in a 2BR condo. Can't wait to get the okay to go home! I hope all the other SoCal posters are all okay...

Hope your home makes it ok!! Same here, I hope all the SoCal cruise critic members are ok, and that their homes are ok too!!

Hi SheriNTexas!

I am sure you have seen postings by WennFred. They live in San Diego area but as of last night, they were okay. Fires are coming closer to them unfortunately. May God keep them safe.

My wife & I are supposed to leave on the Spirit on Oct. 29th. I hope by some miracle things will have taken a dramatic turn for the better. The poor people in San Diego having to flee their homes! My heart goes out to them.

Lee (in Virginia!) (I went to HS in Austin and my folks lived in Lakeway)

Hook 'em Horns & Go Cowboys!

Thanks to all of you sending thoughts and prayers to the Southern, Ca. region. It is devasting to be sitting in the middle of this. I am fortunate to be in safe area of San Diego, kinda in the middle near Qualcomm. However 1,000's have lost their homes and we are continuing to be evacuated. Please pray for those in the Lake arrowhead area especially. ALthough smaller than San Diego, the devastation is more. Whole communities are being lost. My parents have lost their home up there, we had confirmed today. They were safely evacuated but have lost everything.

In stark contrast I received my reminder that final payment is due soon for my New Years cruise. I feel like I should cancel it considering what my parents will be faced with.

I am at a loss.

Donna

Hi SheriNTexas!

I am sure you have seen postings by WennFred. They live in San Diego area but as of last night, they were okay. Fires are coming closer to them unfortunately. May God keep them safe.

My wife & I are supposed to leave on the Spirit on Oct. 29th. I hope by some miracle things will have taken a dramatic turn for the better. The poor people in San Diego having to flee their homes! My heart goes out to them.

Lee (in Virginia!) (I went to HS in Austin and my folks lived in Lakeway)

Hook 'em Horns & Go Cowboys!

I didn't pay attention to where WennFred was from! Glad they are ok!

Once a Texan, always a Texan, right??;) :D

Thanks to all of you sending thoughts and prayers to the Southern, Ca. region. It is devasting to be sitting in the middle of this. I am fortunate to be in safe area of San Diego, kinda in the middle near Qualcomm. However 1,000's have lost their homes and we are continuing to be evacuated. Please pray for those in the Lake arrowhead area especially. ALthough smaller than San Diego, the devastation is more. Whole communities are being lost. My parents have lost their home up there, we had confirmed today. They were safely evacuated but have lost everything.

In stark contrast I received my reminder that final payment is due soon for my New Years cruise. I feel like I should cancel it considering what my parents will be faced with.

I am at a loss.

Donna

I'm SO sorry to hear your parents lost their home!!:( I'm glad to hear that THEY are ok, however. What a horrible ordeal for everyone involved to be going through!! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone there! I'm so glad to see how everyone is pitching in, volunteering time, food, water, even massages for those who had to evacuate their homes!! I think a lot was learned after Katrina!!

Hi Litewait,

I am sorry your parents lost their home and possesions. Thank God they escaped with their lives! Homes can be rebuilt, new possesions can be purchased. The hard part is the personal items that have meant so much to them over the years. That can never be replaced.

As far as feeling guilty about taking a cruise, do not feel that way. The best way to rebuild San Diego's afflicted areas is to have tourists come and spend money in San Diego. If you are cruising, stay a night in a hotel before your ship leaves. This gives people jobs, taxes are collected, etc. Yes, it is Ronald Reagan's trickle down theory and it works!

Spend money in San Diego and the lives of those affected will improve. For now, they are in my prayers. Next week I will be in San Diego to cruise on the Spirit. I will buy more than I need and do my minimal part to help. Once the catastrophe is over, we will contribute to the organizations that will help folks put their lives back together.

May God keep you safe.

Lee

Ive been Waching Freds area Its still touch and go...this moring it was pretty good there and this afternoon its gotten worst...:( Fires are just above my work now about 5 miles.so maybe i will get to spend more time cruising:eek:

For people who are in San Diego and anywhere in California where fires are burning, the best thing you can do is support the firefighters putting their lives on the line!

What you can do: 1) donate $$ to the volunteer firefighters or the career firefighters. 2) purchase GATORAIDE! Take it to your closest fire station. Firefighters have an incredible load of gear they have to wear AND move around to fight the beast(fire). They must have fluids replenished in order to continue their work. They are facing fires burning at over 1500 degrees. Even the protective gear they wear cannot keep them safe from that. They will lose 10-15 lbs of water weight! Help keep them hydrated!

Whenever we have a fire, our station's auxilliary delivers food and Gatoraide to the crews battling the fires. It is vital to keep the firefighters fed and hydrated.

Lee

Dumfries-Triangle Rescue Squad

Dumfries, VA

For people who are in San Diego and anywhere in California where fires are burning, the best thing you can do is support the firefighters putting their lives on the line!

What you can do: 1) donate $$ to the volunteer firefighters or the career firefighters. 2) purchase GATORAIDE! Take it to your closest fire station. Firefighters have an incredible load of gear they have to wear AND move around to fight the beast(fire). They must have fluids replenished in order to continue their work. They are facing fires burning at over 1500 degrees. Even the protective gear they wear cannot keep them safe from that. They will lose 10-15 lbs of water weight! Help keep them hydrated!

Whenever we have a fire, our station's auxilliary delivers food and Gatoraide to the crews battling the fires. It is vital to keep the firefighters fed and hydrated.

Lee

Dumfries-Triangle Rescue Squad

Dumfries, VA

Thats a great reminder but only a small part of what is needed here...350,000 people are out of there homes right now in San Diego alone over 1000 houses destroyed. They need clothes and food and pillow and .....Then we have the LA fire and the Lake Arrowhead fires...

Thats a great reminder but only a small part of what is needed here...350,000 people are out of there homes right now in San Diego alone over 1000 houses destroyed. They need clothes and food and pillow and .....Then we have the LA fire and the Lake Arrowhead fires...

Let's not forget the orange county fire:( Another one just started in Acton. There is still about 10 fires going on at this minute.

I know alot on here don't know this area but for instance where litewait's parents home in lake arrowhead is, it is approx. 100 miles from San Diego.

The orange county fire which is about 70 miles from San Diego. Then you have the Malibu fire which is quite far out there. These fires are all thruout so. Calif.

Litewaite I'm so sorry for your parents loss. The Arrowhead area is really getting hit hard. Thankfully your parents are ok.

My first concern is getting people out of harm's way. Then, making sure the fire & rescue crews are getting all they need to put out the fires & Preventing additional loss of property.

The clothing & shelter effort will be handled by FEMA & the Red Cross and other charities. I am sure the people of this nation will respond generously with money and goods. This effort cannot really get underway until the fires are out. I do not mean to put clothing & shelter in the background, but nothing can happen until the fires are out.

Foremost, our prayers for those who have lost everything and for those trying to keep what they have.

Lee

My first concern is getting people out of harm's way. Then, making sure the fire & rescue crews are getting all they need to put out the fires & Preventing additional loss of property.

The clothing & shelter effort will be handled by FEMA & the Red Cross and other charities. I am sure the people of this nation will respond generously with money and goods. This effort cannot really get underway until the fires are out. I do not mean to put clothing & shelter in the background, but nothing can happen until the fires are out.

Foremost, our prayers for those who have lost everything and for those trying to keep what they have.

Lee

Oh gawd.... FEMA is a four letter word around these parts. The Red Cross will be great though. Best of luck.

Oh gawd.... FEMA is a four letter word around these parts. The Red Cross will be great though. Best of luck.

I'm sure FEMA has learned a lot since Katrina and things to be running very smoothly with the evacuees in California. There are always lessons to be learned after disasters.

I'm sure FEMA has learned a lot since Katrina and things to be running very smoothly with the evacuees in California. There are always lessons to be learned after disasters.

One can always hope....................................excuse me, I was snirking and choked on my Gatorade. Are we talking about the same gov't agency that is still being run be the same people? The ones who paid millions to a company to "destroy" all the ice that was left over from Katrina? I guess the hot summer sun wouldn't do the job as efficiently. :D

One can always hope....................................excuse me, I was snirking and choked on my Gatorade. Are we talking about the same gov't agency that is still being run be the same people? The ones who paid millions to a company to "destroy" all the ice that was left over from Katrina? I guess the hot summer sun wouldn't do the job as efficiently. :D

Geez, can we leave the Bush-bashing, government bashing out of this thread and just concentrate on the poor people whose homes are burning down and who are losing everything? :( :rolleyes: :mad:

Yeah, I wish that could be true, but so far it doesn't seem to be...

I really hope the people in the SoCal region will be able to recover smoothly from this. My thoughts are with you!

OK, everybody get your tin foil out... We may need to make some hats...

I frequent way too many web sites (CC is one, I admit). A couple of news sites that I visit are starting to report that various CA Fire Department Arson teams are beginning to report origin sources that are man set / not 'natural ignitions'. At least one fire had 3 points of origin that occured in a 3 mile corridor and all ignitions were within 15 to 20 minutes of each other.

Another site, it tends to look at things in a more 'political' manner, is starting to post reports of alleged interviews with terrorist detainees that spoke of teams and opperatives that would unlease "satan's breath" to cause economic disruption... According to this source, "satan's breath" was defined as FIRE.

Now, these fires happen just about every year, just as the Santa Ana winds occur when the conditions are there. Who is to say that some person or group could not plan and execute an event to wreck destruction and 'terror' across southern California with a few simple devices. Set to a timer, the perpetrators could be south of the border hours before the first spark.

My prayers and thoughts are with the people in the fire ravaged areas....

This and your other comments in this thread futaba951, were unnecessary. Please, have some respect for those currently in crisis in California. Leave your negative opinions and comments to yourself. Bite your tongue if you must.

Our prayers are with those who have risked and lost their lives in this terrible time, and for those who have lost their homes and irreplaceable items. Thank you to all of those firefighters that were responsible for saving our home.

Archived