How early is too early?

erRN2be

We are sailing out of Tampa. I was wondering how early was too early to get to the Port to get in line. We are being shuttled in from our motel, but I would like to be one of the first in line to enjoy as much time on the ship as I can :) According to my PVP the ship starts boarding at 1:00 pm, but how early do people usually start lining up?

Okay...we get to the port at about 10:30 and the ship doesn't allow us on board until 1:00....what do we do for the 2 1/2 hours. I mean I will have two 13 y.o and an 8 y.o. do I need to let them bring their gameboy's or are we standing in line checking in and such during this time frame where they will be moving?

I'm sorry and please don't take this the wrong way, but you did ask how early is too early to get there. If they don't start boarding the ship until 1:00 p.m. and you get there any earlier, yes, you will have to just wait around. That's a fact. You might be better to check you luggage early at the port, stroll around Channelside for a while and head back to the port around 1:00. That way your kids will have something to do and you can still have plenty of time to enjoy the ship.

We went around 11:30 and that was more then enough time...We were in baording group 3 and got on about 12:45.They started baording around 12:35. Once you check in and go through security, there will be tons of chairs to sit on/lounge. There is also a huge window to just look at the ship.Your kids will be fine. It is fun to watch others and meet them. My kids have their own carryon backpacks(we fly) with their gameboys, walkmans,etc...You will be fine. Have a super time!!!

Imlulu---thanks. I figured the kids were going to be so excited they wouldn't really care one way or another. :)

Deb---I expected to wait. That wasn't my point at all. I just did not plan on bringing my kids gameboys on the cruise (they will be in the car because we are driving). I have no idea what to expect and was just asking what other's thought might help/not help. I had no idea like lulu said that there was a big window to look out at the ships etc.

New cruiser just asking dumb questions!

ER! We're flying into Miami on a 6:30am flight from NY! We'll be at the port probably around 9-9:30 after baggage, taxi, etc. I chose this flight specifically so that we'd be there early enough to enjoy the ship for the day prior to Muster stations and setting sail! It always seems like we are running from the airport to the ship!

Our last cruise was on Disney and we arrived around 2:30pm to board. Of course they had closed the buffet already and we couldn't get lunch - I was bummed, and starved!

FYI, we are bringing the gameboys on the ship. I have 3 boys - 10, 8, 6 and know they will need some down time between events, dinner, etc. They are a mess and fight more when they are tired! I figured if there wasn't a good kid movie playing in the room, then they'd have the gameboys to relax with! I hate them, but the boys love 'em and they will relax with them if I insist!

What ship are you on and what's your itinerary? Are you doing the western carribbean? We are - great ports for the kids! We've been to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios before but the kids haven't! Figured we'd beach it in Coz and Jamaica (can't handle the sales people in Jamaica) and then do the sting-rays and 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman.

I recall you camp - we do too! The boys love it! Did get a chance to go this summer, however. Maybe we'll do a fall trip...

I suggest having a nice leasurly breakfast at your hotel and then heading to the port at about 10 - 10:30. I think they do start boarding around noon, but you can get squared away before then.

Lisa!

Ship security usually opens around 11:00 am- depending on when the people from the last cruise got off. Lots of people get there about 11; and onboard about noon. But be warned that you may not be able to get to your cabin until 1:00-1:30. They will tell you what time when you are checking in. People do drop off their carry-ons to their cabins before this time BUT the cabins are not secured until the time given so do not leave anything of value in the cabin until then.

Serene has got it right (regarding Tampa)...

We always get there about 11am. They will assign boarding group #'s - we are usually in group 2. Boarding usually begins just after 12, and we are often on the ship by 12:30.... I am getting excited just thinking about it --- but I still have to wait over 70 days...

Tom

I guess that between 10:30 and 11:00 sound like a wonderful time to get there and at least get the party started.. Guess I'll bring the gameboys too.. yuck (I want them to be outside and doing activities not sitting with some darn computer game :) )

Lisa : we are sailing to the western caribbean -- grand cayman, cozumel, costa maya and belize leaving from Tampa on April 3, 2005.

Travel: we are staying at the Best Western Westshore the night before. The prices are good and they then are allowing us to leave our car, shuttle us there and then when we get back they are going to come and get us.. :)

We are paying $99 for the Westshore..includes breakfast. I didn't think that was too bad. I priced a couple others and they were around $149

hstrybuf - hey you might have hit on something with locking the kids in the safe.. :)

I did the seven day Belize ect from Tampa twice. Once we where on, been to room, & and eating by 12. The second time the ship was late. We got on first (about 20 to 30 people in skipper club) and it was almost 2. So, you really never know. Most long time cruisers suggest getting there early (10:30 to 11:00) or late (3:00 to 3:30) Which allows you to board faster. The buffet has always been open on any Carnival cruise I've been on until sailing.

Archived