Lounge chairs on an extended balcony

WeatherGeek

We were disappointed to find on our Legend cruise last week that our steward would not bring us lounge chairs for our wraparound balcony. She stated that it was a fire hazard and that it was not allowed. I understand that it can be with people flinging cigarette butts off of other decks. I was wondering if this is a new fleet-wide policy or if it varies ship to ship or if she just didn't feel like bring us a lounge chair and told us that to get rid of us bugging her about it. She was extremely nice the rest of the week, but the first day on board, she had a little bit of an attitude.

The chairs provided were extremely uncomfortable and I could not sit in them for very long because I have a tailbone injury and could not sit at the angle the chair required for long periods of time. It ended up not being much of an issue because it rained frequently on our trip anyway and then the mysterious black soot started covering everything. But I'm still curious.

I have an extended on Miracle (on the side, not an aft). The pics look like there isn't room for a lounger.

At the risk of going OT and starting another firestorm (pun intended), why in the world would people flick butts off a balcony? Are they really that clueless and inconsiderate?

Quit throwing your trash in the ocean (we're polluting enough by being out there) and quit throwing your trash onto other people's balconies. Sheesh. :mad:

Just had an extended balcony on the Pride a few weeks ago. It was the new mesh furniture, a lounger and a regular deck chair and small table. I asked the room steward if it would be possbile to have another chair as it was myself and 2 daughters. He said maybe and never spoke after that. He was not a bad steward just not helpful. We had no water and no ice all week and on the last day when we went to get our luggage we found a dirty sock (not ours) and a beer bottle cap(not ours).

We always ask for the extra lounge, sometimes we get it sometimes we don't. We had an aft extended so we had room for one. No on the Legend and the Glory - yes, on the Triumph and Victory. ( We'll have to see what they say on the Miracle this February).

I've wondered if it's a ship policy or the room steward??? I know our neighbors on the Glory also asked for the extra and were told the same thing, of course we had the same steward.

We were on the Conquest last week in a stern balcony. We were able to go into one of the corner cabins with a wrap balcony and there was a lounge chair on it. This was on the Empress Deck 7. Unfortunately we found a couple of cigarette butts on our balcony last week, too.

To anyone who may know; we have a cabin on the panorama deck 1031 is that an extended balcony or not? We always have balcony cabins (only way to travel for us). Also, I wanted to know is there different types of balconies? They all come with some deck furniture so what is the deal with the loungers, are these the ones poolside?

If it was and I wanted it I would go and reappropriate it (military lingo) myself) gets it done.

Curious mind whats to know.

WeatherGeek:

If it's any consolation, we were on the same cruise with you--in a corner wrap balcony. We asked our steward- Cecilio, for loungers. He told us the same story you were told--they are not allowed due to fire hazard. My husband and I pondered on why the plastic loungers would be a fire hazard. Maybe the plastic is combustable? Then why are they allowed on the lido deck?? I don't know. We had the same uncomfortable chairs as you had.

Hmmmmmm has anyone ever gone to the front desk and asked for them to have one delivered to your balcony ???? Plastic chair or lounger, one is no more a hazard than the other and I would be very upset being told I just paid for this big balcony I couldn't feel comfortable on and use the way it was meant to be! eeeks!!!:mad:

Just got off the Spirit yesterday. We also had an aft wraparound and were told no when we asked for a lounger. We settled for two chairs, a small table and a large balcony with a great view.

We also just got off the Spirit yesterday and we were in an aft wrap-around (4237) and we asked our steward for 2 loungers as well (we just had the two chairs and a table also). He acted as if he couldn't get them...like it seemed like it would be a problem, but then the next morning, he arrived with two loungers. I couldn't see having all that room on the balcony and no loungers. We enjoyed them all week. Both my hubby and I took a couple naps out there.

On the Pride in January, our wrap-around already had two loungers on it...along with a table and three chairs.

Heres a picture, this doesn't even show the part that wraps around the side. This is the Valor deck 8.

Click to enlarge

I am suprised to see our wrap-around balcony on Deck 8 of the Pride was quite a bit wider than that of the Valor's.

You can see the lounge chairs where it wraps around. We had 11 people (one hadn't arrived yet and I was taking the picture) on the balcony for the sail away and we could have had more. It is a nice big balcony.

2987373360100260141DejVTh_th.jpg

2577379310100260141GwojVZ_th.jpg

I am suprised to see our wrap-around balcony on Deck 8 of the Pride was quite a bit wider than that of the Valor's.

Yes the Balcony on the Pride is wider, all the ships with the wrap cat. 11 suites are wider, the aft wraps on the conquest & destiny class are just 9A'a and have the thinner balcony.

Didn't stop us from having 16 people on our balcony for a party

one night:)

Yes the Balcony on the Pride is wider, all the ships with the wrap cat. 11 suites are wider, the aft wraps on the conquest & destiny class are just 9A'a and have the thinner balcony.

Didn't stop us from having 16 people on our balcony for a party

one night:)

Ah, I see. I didn't know the wraps on that class of ship were 9A's..that is pretty cool. I will have to remember that when booking our next cruise. We love the aft wrap around but just don't know if we can always afford a suite. Thanks for the info.

NO it is much bigger, about the size of 4 or more balconies.

I'll find a picture and post it.

P.S, i'm from Juneau, now living in California.

@ caribbean dreams how is that working for you? I am an (OKC) transplant from the military 92 just never left, but as I age I want to escape. I guess as long as I can afford to vacation and cruise in the warmth of the tropics I will stay.

appreciate it, I never really consider balconies being larger or smaller unless you were in a suite. We never have people in our cabin, but we like to sit out on it and soak up the air.

Thanks

This must mean they had previously removed the loungers.

We had 4 loungers and two regular chairs and a table, already there on the Legend. No need to ask for anything. We moved the three we didn't need around the corner.

349970009iDhEyr_th.jpg

click to enlarge

This must mean they had previously removed the loungers.

We had 4 loungers and two regular chairs and a table, already there on the Legend. No need to ask for anything. We moved the three we didn't need around the corner.

349970009iDhEyr_th.jpg

click to enlarge

Your "default" furniture was different than what we had, too. We had ugly blue chairs that sat way too high up off of the ground to be comfortable.

@ caribbean dreams how is that working for you? I am an (OKC) transplant from the military 92 just never left, but as I age I want to escape. I guess as long as I can afford to vacation and cruise in the warmth of the tropics I will stay.

I love the warmth of Cali, there is so much rain in Juneau.......I don't miss that at all but i do miss the snow and just the beautiful outdoors of AK.

NO walking outside to eagles and wildlife here and i do really miss the Northern lights, i can't even explain what they are really like to people.

Archived