Tulum Ruins Excursion Through HAL

spcl4cs_gal

My husband and I went on this excursion several years ago and had a great time. Yes, the ferry boat was quite old and a bit crowded but the excursion is incredible. There is a long bus ride down to the ruins with a stop at a souvenir stand. The ruins are located on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Our guide at the ruins was very good. We would highly reccommend this excursion. The structures are in relatively good condition. There were many iguanas at the site. There was a market with local handicrafts and a group of performers did an aerial dance (using a pole) celebrating the harvest. It is a long trip taking up most of the day. A prepared box lunch from the ship was included in the price but I don't know if this is still the practice. I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Blossom

We took this excursion in Jan 2003 - it was fabulous. We didn't have a lunch however. On our excursion the ferry ride to the mainland was on a catamaran type boat and I don't know if this is typical of that type of boat or if the pilot was just trying to get everyone sick, but I would say that most of the people were getting seasick. I don't get seasick but by the time the ride was over it was only by an act of will that I didn't get sick. The worst thing about the tour was knowing we had to go back on the ferry to get back to the ship. However we had a different vessl on the way back (a single hull type) and the ride was smooth. It was funny to see everyone buying something just to get a plastic bag for the way back just in case.:eek:

There are 2 ferry lines from Coz to PDC, they rotate their sailings. It is about a 45 min. trip and the ocean can be a little rough on the crossing. There is a bar onboard of the newer line. The journey from PDC to Tulum should only take about 45 mins. The ruins are wonderful and there is also a lovely beach to use. Bring lots of water with you as it is quite expensive to buy it there.:cool:

I did it a few years ago and found it well worth the effort. I have some trouble walking, and especially climbing stairs and such. This was a three "walker" tour and it was very difficult. There's a few stairs to go down when leaving the ruins and I had a very hard time; thankfully some strangers helped by letting me use thier shoulder to push against.

I'm still very glad I did this! :)

The catamaran over was smooth enough; coming back was kinda bouncy. :D :D There had been a quick, but ferocious storm for a while before the return ride. Glad I wasn't on the water when it came through! Ride 'em cowboy! :eek:

Our experience was a modern high speed cat over and single hull older boat on the return. Both trips were smooth. The cat had modern seats with everyone seated inside. The return trip we were able to sit above outside and enjoy the scenery and sun on the return trip.

Archived