To Save Money Has Anyone Ever ...

To save money has anyone ever has a massage or manicure/pedicure on an island? If so how did you find out where to go? I am not one to do the water activities, and shopping is okay, but I'd like to really find out where to go for my daughter and I to get a massage or manicure. Any help would be appreciated very much. We are going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, and Cancun on the Sea if this helps.

I got a massage in Puerto Vallarta in January. The ship rate, I recall, was about $100. I got a one hour massage in a beautiful little beauty parlor, very professional, for $25 and a $5 tip.

We just walked around Puerto Vallarta and looked inside a couple of places until I found one I felt comfortable in. Definitely worth every penny!

When we were in Cozumel in April we went to Playa Sol and they did massages right there on the beach.. Personally we didnt do it so I dont know the prices, but there were quite a few people doing it, so the prices must have been pretty good. Just thought I'd mention it so if you go to any beaches you might look for someone doing this.

We've had a massage in Cozumel and it was very good, and as I remember I think the price was around $60 or so. I can't remember the name of the little spa shop, but I believe it was on Calle #5 either across or up one more block from the Maya Cozumel hotel. The owner was very nice, and from one of the northern countries of Europe, I think. 2 of her local staff did our massages, but they were very nice. The also had a whole list of services - including the usual manicure, pedicure ...

You can probably get one of those services at a major hotel in port. You may not save money over what you would pay at home, but it will probably be cheaper than on the ship.

For manicures and pedicures, I'd be very careful about where to go, and check that tools are regularly cleaned, etc. Same for a facial. If you question an area's cleanliness standards, then don't use it. If you get an infection or fungus, you will not save any money in the long run.

• 1 month later...

Got a massage at Nochicucum in Cozumel -- rate was $35 for a half hour. Day prior, my daughter and I had massages in Costa Maya -- I thought it was one of the best I have ever had and I paid $35 also. I also tipped. However, I heard some elderly woman complaining about her massage and how they were "not professionals." I thought she was ridiculous.

In Costa Rica, my daughter and I had manicures and pedicures ($12 for a manicure and $8 for a pedicure). My husband took some hysterical photos of us sitting in rocking chairs with the ship in the background and these Mayan women rubbing our feet with wet stones etc. It was great. It was her birthday and it sure beat the price on the ship.

• 2 months later...

Had a young man approach me w/ a price sheet. It was $20 for 20 min.--I figured that was cheaper than the ship, but comparble to home prices. I was actually looking at henna (different vendor), when this young man say he will give me half-price and extra 5 min.....hmm....$10 for 25 min.! Now there's a deal. I say OK, if DH can get one, too. He was every bit as good as massages here. My swimsuit has a back that goes about half way up and he kept pulling it down (so I had no coverage in front--but I was lying face down). It freaked me at first, then I realized he simply needed a bare back! DH wanted a woman...but when I showed him the woman masseuse, he decided Miguel was just fine!!!!!

It was wonderful!!!

Happy cruising!

Kristin

PS BE careful w/ manicures and pedicures. You can get infections easily from unsterile tools or improper technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived