Pay Restuarant Policy on RC

That is not the point, when they go to the trouble of printing it in the compass and also having a sign outside the restaurant and then totally ignore the rule then that is a problem. It doesn't say over 13 except at 6pm. And RCCL wonders why people don't follow the dress codes, ignore kids in the pool, smuggle booze and chair hog.This rule is not one bit different.

Well we disagree, then. I'm not advocating children in the specialty restaurants, but if they're enforcing it enough that those who dine there are not having any problems with kids disrupting their dining experience, then they're doing fine, in my book.

Have you ever been on the ship by noon, even if the printed embarkation time was not until 1pm?

Have you ever gotten a price drop, even though the website says prices quoted are for new bookings only?

Have you ever had a cashier offer to check you out in an express lane, because nobody was waiting, even though you had a little more than 10 items?

Have you ever driven 5mph over the speed limit, because the police don't really mind as long as you're close and driving safely?

Sometime there just no harm in bending things a little bit. But not everyone shares that opinion.

Well we disagree, then. I'm not advocating children in the specialty restaurants, but if they're enforcing it enough that those who dine there are not having any problems with kids disrupting their dining experience, then they're doing fine, in my book.

Have you ever been on the ship by noon, even if the printed embarkation time was not until 1pm?

Have you ever gotten a price drop, even though the website says prices quoted are for new bookings only?

Have you ever had a cashier offer to check you out in an express lane, because nobody was waiting, even though you had a little more than 10 items?

Have you ever driven 5mph over the speed limit, because the police don't really mind as long as you're close and driving safely?

Sometime there just no harm in bending things a little bit. But not everyone shares that opinion.

What were we thinking? They on occasion let people with 15 items go through the express lane. Of course, RCI should not enforce their "no one under 13 in the specialty restaurants" policy. Perfect example. I don't know why we didn't think of that...... :cool: (the sunglasses are hiding my rolled eyes so it doesn't count - one of those "bending things a little bit")

What were we thinking? They on occasion let people with 15 items go through the express lane. Of course, RCI should not enforce their "no one under 13 in the specialty restaurants" policy. Perfect example. I don't know why we didn't think of that...... :cool: (the sunglasses are hiding my rolled eyes so it doesn't count - one of those "bending things a little bit")

I admire your restraint, a great quality in an employee!!! I'll do it for you!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What were we thinking? They on occasion let people with 15 items go through the express lane. Of course, RCI should not enforce their "no one under 13 in the specialty restaurants" policy. Perfect example. I don't know why we didn't think of that...... (the sunglasses are hiding my rolled eyes so it doesn't count - one of those "bending things a little bit")

I know it's hard for you to understand, but it's all about whether or not there is any harm done. IF there is nobody having their dinners upset, then there's no harm done, just like IF there's nobody be held up in line because of it, there's no harm done with letting someone take 15 items through the express lane.

I don't know if anyone is having their dinners disrupted or not. I only stated that I've not heard anyone make such a report so far. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

So you guys are trying to twist my words into all sorts of things that I haven't actually said. Just answer one question:

Have you ever personally had a dining experience in Chops or Portofino disturbed because of a child under 13, who should not have been allowed in there?

There is a reason the restaurants are only half full. The waiters/assistants have a specific number of tables to handle. The restaurant will not overbook so that you get great service and since the food is cooked to order, it won't be cold etc.

If every waiter/assistant had every table full at the same times, your service, food etc would go down the tubes. I am sure RCI knows how many people want to dine on x night, but they also know on y night, the crowd will be less, so they staff the restaurant based on averages or whatever their formula is.

Just go to Portofino, my favorite, or Chops and enjoy and not worry about empty tables. They are that way for a reason most nights.

In my humble opinion a half full restaurant can actually give the wrong impression, i.e. it is not "popular". Surely if they have a large amount of tables available it goes without saying that they should also have an adequate number of staff for cateringl.:eek:

I'll take the resounding silence as a 'No', then. That's all I was getting at. If people aren't having any problems with their experience, then maybe RCI is enforcing the rule adequately.

Hmmmm, either that or everyone put you on ignore....... But being the open minded person that I am, I did not do that. I simply closed up shop for the night.

First I will answer your question like it was a reasonable question by someone who really wanted to know. Then I will tell you what I really think.

First RCI is not "enforcing the rule adequately". For one thing "enforce adequately" is an oxymoron. If a rule is enforced then it is enforced. Period. There is no wiggle room. But assuming that there was such a thing as "enforcing adequately", then I would still have to say that allowing any children under the age of 13 does not meet the definition of adequate.

And the idea of children in the specialty venues is a reasonable concern - whether one has experienced it personally yet or not.

If RCI allows children in say Chops at 6, then those same children are still in Chops at 8 or 8:30. So what happens when a family goes by the door at 7PM on the second night of the cruise and sees those "6PM" kids? They are upset because they thought children under 13 were not allowed. And there children sit. So now this family wants to make a reservation for 7PM tomorrow for their family. What, not at 7PM? It is 7PM now and look over there - little children.

And since RCI has already failed to enforce their own policy by allowing the first children in, are they suddenly going to enforce the policy now and tell this second family no? Of course not. And soon there is no attempt to enforce the policy at all. Just like in the main dining room.

Now, as to what I really think about you not getting your response. Host Karen posted the following yesterday afternoon in another thread:

"Continued arguments among small groups of individuals may result in a loss of posting privileges."

Perhaps you saw it too? You seem to just want to argue for argument's sake. And perhaps getting banned is your goal. Or maybe trying to get others banned. I don't know. In any case, I would not take any future lack of response to these types of posts as an indication that you are right in your assumptions.

First I will answer your question like it was a reasonable question by someone who really wanted to know. Then I will tell you what I really think.

First RCI is not "enforcing the rule adequately". For one thing "enforce adequately" is an oxymoron. If a rule is enforced then it is enforced. Period. There is no wiggle room. But assuming that there was such a thing as "enforcing adequately", then I would still have to say that allowing any children under the age of 13 does not meet the definition of adequate.

And the idea of children in the specialty venues is a reasonable concern - whether one has experienced it personally yet or not.

If RCI allows children in say Chops at 6, then those same children are still in Chops at 8 or 8:30. So what happens when a family goes by the door at 7PM on the second night of the cruise and sees those "6PM" kids? They are upset because they thought children under 13 were not allowed. And there children sit. So now this family wants to make a reservation for 7PM tomorrow for their family. What, not at 7PM? It is 7PM now and look over there - little children.

And since RCI has already failed to enforce their own policy by allowing the first children in, are they suddenly going to enforce the policy now and tell this second family no? Of course not. And soon there is no attempt to enforce the policy at all. Just like in the main dining room.

Now, as to what I really think about you not getting your response. Host Karen posted the following yesterday afternoon in another thread:

"Continued arguments among small groups of individuals may result in a loss of posting privileges."

Perhaps you saw it too? You seem to just want to argue for argument's sake. And perhaps getting banned is your goal. Or maybe trying to get others banned. I don't know. In any case, I would not take any future lack of response to these types of posts as an indication that you are right in your assumptions.

Not at all. I was simply trying to explain my point of view. I will point you to another part of the Community Guidelines that says:

"If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person."

I don't share your rigid view of the way all rules must be strictly enforced. It's fair game, if you disagree with me, but no need to insult me or make accusations about my motives.

In my humble opinion a half full restaurant can actually give the wrong impression, i.e. it is not "popular". Surely if they have a large amount of tables available it goes without saying that they should also have an adequate number of staff for cateringl.:eek:

It would only give you this impression if:

A. You have NO experience in the restaurant industry and therefore, no idea how seating works.

OR

B. You are not accustomed to a fine dining atmosphere.

BTW - catering refers to cooking and prepping; has very little to do with seating:)

A half full Outback Steakhouse is one thing - in that case, you are correct, probably not a popular choice... A half full fine-dining restaurant indicates a well-run establishment dedicated to personal and attentive service.

You see very few (if any children) in a fine dining restaurant... there's no "children's menu" - that should be your first indication that the restaurant is not an appropriate venue for a child... A child-friendly restaurant makes an effort to provide a product suitable for a child... Any parent that would pay $20 and up for a child to eat probably needs to re-adjust their priorities...

Children are not meant to be everywhere, the world does not revolve around them and I think it is absolutely ludicrous for parents to expect the world to adjust to the presence of their children.

You see very few (if any children) in a fine dining restaurant... there's no "children's menu" - that should be your first indication that the restaurant is not an appropriate venue for a child... A child-friendly restaurant makes an effort to provide a product suitable for a child... Any parent that would pay $20 and up for a child to eat probably needs to re-adjust their priorities...

Children are not meant to be everywhere, the world does not revolve around them and I think it is absolutely ludicrous for parents to expect the world to adjust to the presence of their children.

I will say that I would not take my child to one of the specialty restaurants, because there is an age policy that he does not meet. I would and have taken him to many "fine dining" restaurants, though. My wife and I live quite a long way from our respective families, so there are no built-in grandmas or aunts/uncles to drop our son with. Though we don't mind occasionally arranging a babysitter, it's not something we do often. So most of the time, when we dine out, we choose family-friendly restaurants. We sometimes go to fine-dining establishments with child in-tow, however. There is no children's menu, so we kindly ask what they might have for a child. Sometimes they'll offer to do something especially for a child; sometimes you have to pick a dish or appetizer that sounds like something your child will like. I see it more of us adapting to what is offered, not expecting "the world" to adapt to us.

We are going on our first RC cruise on the Mariner of the Seas and we heard that they dont allow children in any of the pay restuarants. Does anyone know if this is true, if so not very family friendly - and will surely send me straight back to NCL - anything you could provide on the subject would be appreciated - Thanks!

Are you serious????? ONE place that does not allow children doesn't make a cruise line family friendly!? I quietly endure people's children jumping and splashing me in the hot tub as their parents watch, I don't complain when they're running around or screaming in the dining room, I don't comment when they're sitting in a theater watching a performance that should clearly not be viewed by children. I want to be very clear about the fact that I do not hate chilren. In fact, I work in a preschool where I love the children and they love me. BUT - that doesn't mean I want them in the staff lounge while I'm eating my lunch.

Those of us that are not parents should be entitled to enjoy our vacation just as you enjoy yours. Your children have the rock wall, the ice rink, the sports court, the arcade, Adventure Ocean, Johnny Rocket's, and much much more. Can we please just have one resturant???

BTW - While I know there are not children in the solarium, there's also no fun activities there. I much prefer the general pool area. The Freedom was fabulous because the children had their own water park.

So you guys are trying to twist my words into all sorts of things that I haven't actually said. Just answer one question:

Have you ever personally had a dining experience in Chops or Portofino disturbed because of a child under 13, who should not have been allowed in there?

Yes. a 2 year old who was wailing for a half hour. then i asked for the manager and told them to keep my dinner as I was leaving. The manager asked if there was anything he could do to fix it and i explained that no he couldn't fix the problem as he allowed under age children to come into an adults only venue. I left and went directly to guest services, explained what happened and told them i was concerned as they had my name and room number from when i made the reservation and I did not want to be charged. I wasn't.

Yes. a 2 year old who was wailing for a half hour. then i asked for the manager and told them to keep my dinner as I was leaving. The manager asked if there was anything he could do to fix it and i explained that no he couldn't fix the problem as he allowed under age children to come into an adults only venue. I left and went directly to guest services, explained what happened and told them i was concerned as they had my name and room number from when i made the reservation and I did not want to be charged. I wasn't.

Sorry to hear that. :( I think that is pretty rude, even in a "family-friendly restaurant," to let a kid wail for half an hour. You can't always control the little ones, but if they are uncontrollable on the occasion, sometimes you just have to leave.

I must say, Chops and Portofino are nice, but $100 pp equivalent??? I don't think so.

Well, they do charge $25pp as the gratuity, so do the math! ;) Seriously, I agree - Chops and Portofino are good, but not "$100pp" good.

The restaurants are only 1/3 to 1/2 full, for the reasons listed. They are dimly lit and very quiet. Any voice above a quiet speaking voice will be heard by the whole restaurant.

Our meal at Portofino was pretty much like this, but at Chops, it was quite noisy. For that meal, all tables were occupied and there were two large groups there enjoying themselves.

Well, they do charge $25pp as the gratuity, so do the math! ;) Seriously, I agree - Chops and Portofino are good, but not "$100pp" good.

Our cruises it has only been 20$pp and it is a surcharge that includes the tip.

You better stay away from Disney Cruise Lines as well, they don't allow kids in their pay restaurant, Palo. But you know Disney, they just don't do families/kids.

LOL! Yes, DCL’s Palo is listed as “adults only”. I don’t think they have a written age limit per se, but if you’re going to bring your 16/17yo, he better look and act like an adult and not a 13yo. They do have a private dining room in Palo for parties, and they do allow children in there.

Our cruises it has only been 20$pp and it is a surcharge that includes the tip.

We were charged $25pp in both Chops and Portofino on FoS four weeks ago. I realize it's a combination of a dining surcharge and a gratutiy - I was just being a little facetious about the "$100pp meal".

We were charged $25pp in both Chops and Portofino on FoS four weeks ago. I realize it's a combination of a dining surcharge and a gratutiy - I was just being a little facetious about the "$100pp meal".

ah, maybe the charge is more on FOS, I paid 20$ on the Brilliance, Serenade and Explorer.

The restaurants are only 1/3 to 1/2 full, for the reasons listed. They are dimly lit and very quiet. Any voice above a quiet speaking voice will be heard by the whole restaurant. All food is made when you order it, so you are there for several hours. The restaurants provide a quiet relaxing atmosphere for a romantic dinner. Is this really a place you think children belong? Of course, if your children are quiet, still, well-behaved, and enjoy such an atmosphere, I am sure no one could object to their presence. You will enjoy Royal Caribbean. Some of the cruises we have been on have had over a thousand children on them. They are certainly family friendly, even if they think it is ok for adults to enjoy a quiet peaceful meal.

We got a specialty restaurant meal as part of our travel package. The restaurant was empty and cold. The food WAS very good, but there was too much of it. I also didn't think the service was that good even though that there were plenty of waiters - they seemed very aloof and not very friendly and they all disappeared when we wanted something.

We've been married long enough that WE don't appreciate a romantic dinner. A peaceful meal we could get at home - actually we always have peaceful meals at home. We'd rather have something going on to talk about, or other people to talk to.

Which is why we are probably not going to pay to do a specialty restaurant in the future.

I do think I would like it if there was an adults only pool.

When our children were still children (the youngest is now 36), and we traveled, they went with us. Even if we had to tag-team a restaurant meal in order to keep the children from disturbing others, we would never have gone without them. Of course my husband was in the Navy and we frequently had to make long trips from one duty station to another. So we had no choice about bringing the children, but it was much more fun with them along.

The only real problem is if parents don't plan sensibly for their children - get them into situations beyond their capacity to handle and/or not having a plan B. I think the RC rules are guidelines for those parents. They aren't there for other people to complain about the guidelines not being enforced especially in absence of some actual offensive behavior which impinges on someone's enjoyment of the meal about which to complain.

We got a specialty restaurant meal as part of our travel package. The restaurant was empty and cold. The food WAS very good, but there was too much of it. I also didn't think the service was that good even though that there were plenty of waiters - they seemed very aloof and not very friendly and they all disappeared when we wanted something.

We've been married long enough that WE don't appreciate a romantic dinner. A peaceful meal we could get at home - actually we always have peaceful meals at home. We'd rather have something going on to talk about, or other people to talk to.

Which is why we are probably not going to pay to do a specialty restaurant in the future.

I do think I would like it if there was an adults only pool.

When our children were still children (the youngest is now 36), and we traveled, they went with us. Even if we had to tag-team a restaurant meal in order to keep the children from disturbing others, we would never have gone without them. Of course my husband was in the Navy and we frequently had to make long trips from one duty station to another. So we had no choice about bringing the children, but it was much more fun with them along.

The only real problem is if parents don't plan sensibly for their children - get them into situations beyond their capacity to handle and/or not having a plan B. I think the RC rules are guidelines for those parents. They aren't there for other people to complain about the guidelines not being enforced especially in absence of some actual offensive behavior which impinges on someone's enjoyment of the meal about which to complain.

I respectfully disagree that the RC rules are guidelines for parents. It is simply stated that children under 13 may not be in the restaurants. If they are, I will complain, whether or not they act up or not. I'm not going to wait and see if its going to disrupt me. Those are the rules. I think its a great rule, as well, as it gives people that wish a reasonably adult dining experience just that. Not every rule is made for parents. Other people do exist, too. And lots of those people want an adult dining atmosphere.

Also, my parents have been married for 42 years and they have tons of romance in their marriage and always appreciate dinner alone together for the romance.:)

It is simply stated that children under 13 may not be in the restaurants. If they are, I will complain, whether or not they act up or not. I'm not going to wait and see if its going to disrupt me. Those are the rules.

That's the spirit. Why wait for an actual problem; take a preemptive strike.

Archived