Pay Restuarant Policy on RC

Um, have you ever seen one? Seems to be a lot of fuss over nothing. Do you leave a fine resturaunt if you don't like the table next to you.

Come on, chill and be happy.

Land based fine restaurants I've dined at don't have age limitations so it's not comparable.

WOW OP if that's your definition of "family friendly" then you better stay away from DISNEY ships where they have {gasp} an ADULT ONLY restaurant called Palo's. :eek:

OK, let me try to be nice and explain this. ;) The entire ships at RCCL are created to me VERY family friendly. Moreso than any other cruiseline that we have ever sailed on (yes including NCL). So because there will be wall to wall kids on RCCL, they needs some venues that are adult only.

There will be adult only solariums (AKA "heaven" in my book) and adult only dining venues Chops and Portofino.

My kids were HAPPY to get rid of me the night I went to Portofino. They were having their own dance party. Sitting at a 2-3 hour meal was not something they would want to do. I BARELY made it through the meal, I can tell you there is no way my kids would of.

So since Disney has the same thing, adult only pools and adult only dining, then they aren't "family friendly" either???? :confused:

I guess I just don't get why people think that if other pax want an "adult" only venue that they hate kids??

If you have brought your children on board ship with you, you can enjoy their company. The rest of us are entitled to some respite from them. The dinners in a specialty can be an ordeal, despite some fine food. If kids can't handle dinner in the MDR I don't know how they can be expected to manage in Chops or Portofino.

I know some parents will argue that ther kids are perfect dining companions and that the age rule should not apply to them. I beg to differ.

I guess I just don't get why people think that if other pax want an "adult" only venue that they hate kids??

If you have brought your children on board ship with you, you can enjoy their company. The rest of us are entitled to some respite from them. The dinners in a specialty can be an ordeal, despite some fine food. If kids can't handle dinner in the MDR I don't know how they can be expected to manage in Chops or Portofino.

I know some parents will argue that ther kids are perfect dining companions and that the age rule should not apply to them. I beg to differ.

I'm waiting for the day some parent says my child is a whiney uncontrollable kid or my child does not meet the age limit and I understand why there are some places that children are not permitted.:rolleyes: Guess I better not hold my breath.:D

my child does not meet the age limit and I understand why there are some places that children are not permitted.:rolleyes: Guess I better not hold my breath.:D

HEY! I say this all the time. :D You don't need to hold your breath ;) :p

MY kids don't meet the age limit for the restaurants, rock climbing, flow rider (height), solarium and certain excusions. You won't see ME trying to sneak em in.

MY kids don't meet the age limit for the restaurants, rock climbing, flow rider (height), solarium and certain excusions. You won't see ME trying to sneak em in.

YOU, my dear, get it.:D

I'm with CrusinMama... my son will not doing anything he's not permitted to by the rules. He's just turned 3 and has been on 2 cruises so far and hasn't been in the pools , a specialty restuarant or anywhere else he's not permitted. To me the specialty restaurants are a night for my husband and I to enjoy a nice quiet romantic meal and our son gets the in cabin babysitting!

I respectfully disagree that the RC rules are guidelines for parents. It is simply stated that children under 13 may not be in the restaurants. If they are, I will complain, whether or not they act up or not. I'm not going to wait and see if its going to disrupt me. Those are the rules. I think its a great rule, as well, as it gives people that wish a reasonably adult dining experience just that. Not every rule is made for parents. Other people do exist, too. And lots of those people want an adult dining atmosphere.

Also, my parents have been married for 42 years and they have tons of romance in their marriage and always appreciate dinner alone together for the romance.:)

The romance in our marriage is just fine. Just because we prefer to dine with other people on a cruise ship doesn't mean that we aren't still in love.

As you know, I disagree with the rest of what you wrote too.

The only real problem is if parents don't plan sensibly for their children - get them into situations beyond their capacity to handle and/or not having a plan B. I think the RC rules are guidelines for those parents. They aren't there for other people to complain about the guidelines not being enforced especially in absence of some actual offensive behavior which impinges on someone's enjoyment of the meal about which to complain.

No, the only real problem is when people such as yourself decide that rules are not for you. It is not a guideline that children must be thirteen _ it is a rule!!!!

We agree M!! Why do some people think they are above the rules/guidelines?

###

But if RCI would just follow their own policy we would not even be having this conversation. It start and ends with the cruise lines enforcing their own set policies of which we know is an area that they lack in greatly.:)

But if RCI would just follow their own policy we would not even be having this conversation. It start and ends with the cruise lines enforcing their own set policies of which we know is an area that they lack in greatly.:)

I have to agree - it is up to the cruiseline to enforce their own rules. Why have them if you don't use them.

M

We agree M!! Why do some people think they are above the rules/guidelines?

###

I really believe it's because they don't follow rules/guidelines in other parts of their lives. Do you really think that these same people just don't follow rules/guidelines onboard a ship? I doubt it..............I'm sure they are the same shoreside.

M

I'm waiting for the day some parent says my child is a whiney uncontrollable kid or my child does not meet the age limit and I understand why there are some places that children are not permitted.:rolleyes: Guess I better not hold my breath.:D

I don't know about the whiney uncontrollable part, but I think most parents would agree with the second part. If it was all parents, then you would have hundreds of kids trying to get in the Solarium or Portofino, etc. That's just not happening, though.

On the Explorer the minimum age is 13 for Portifino and it does seem to be a rule not a suggestion. Speaking of suggestions:) I have my 12/2 12 night doc book and it does not say anywhere in it about suggested attire for the ship nor does it state how many formal nights, casual, smart casual ( which is gone anyway ). Now I know there are 2 formal nights as I made my reservations at Portifino when I was onboard last week for Dec. but it does not say that in the docs. It does suggest certain attire for excursions depending on activity but that's it. Interesting change in the docs:)

Um, have you ever seen one? Seems to be a lot of fuss over nothing. Do you leave a fine resturaunt if you don't like the table next to you.

Come on, chill and be happy.

Yes, I have. Unruly patrons (regardless of age) should not have to be tolerated by anyone. I have also left movie theaters when parents with screaming babies and small children refused to take them out.

Well we disagree, then. I'm not advocating children in the specialty restaurants, but if they're enforcing it enough that those who dine there are not having any problems with kids disrupting their dining experience, then they're doing fine, in my book.

You're comparing apples and oranges!

Have you ever been on the ship by noon, even if the printed embarkation time was not until 1pm? We didn't demand to board before the posted time. They allowed it.

Have you ever gotten a price drop, even though the website says prices quoted are for new bookings only? Didn't demand the refund they offered it.

Have you ever had a cashier offer to check you out in an express lane, because nobody was waiting, even though you had a little more than 10 items? Didn't just get in line, cashier invited patron to check out.

Have you ever driven 5mph over the speed limit, because the police don't really mind as long as you're close and driving safely? You're breaking the law and if stopped are subject to ticket and fine.

Sometime there just no harm in bending things a little bit. But not everyone shares that opinion.

As long as you accept the consequences of your actions regarding bending/breaking rules then no problem. But most people will not accept the consequences of their actions.

As long as you accept the consequences of your actions regarding bending/breaking rules then no problem. But most people will not accept the consequences of their actions.

So, from your responses, it sounds like you're OK with it, as long as RCI offers to let the parents bring younger children into the specialty restaurants?? I don't think anyone gets in because they demand it. If they're in there, it's because they were allowed in there. So I don't think the comparison is nearly as much apples to oranges as you suggest.

BTW - I don't recall anyone ever saying RCI contacted them and offered to give some money back, because the price had dropped. You have to ask for it (or have your TA ask on your behalf). Some reports I've seen on here have, in fact, involved people demanding a refund, if they were not immediately successful in asking nicely. :p

So, from your responses, it sounds like you're OK with it, as long as RCI offers to let the parents bring younger children into the specialty restaurants?? I don't think anyone gets in because they demand it. If they're in there, it's because they were allowed in there.

You are correct. No one has to demand it. It's pretty much common knowledge around here that if anyone calls to make a reservation at the specialty restaurants and says "Two adults, one child" they will get in with no questions asked. They will be given an earlier time.

When we were on the Freedom, we met a family with a 6 year old. They told me they were going to Portofino that night. I asked if they were taking their daughter. They said "Of course, why?" I said "Because under 13 aren't allowed, so we would be dropping our kids off at AO". They had NO idea. :rolleyes: She said "All I did was call and ask for a reservation for 2 adults and one child. They didn't even ask how old. And I received the confirmation card today confirming our reservation to include our daughter"

So there was no demanding on her part. She simply called and asked and was instantly accomodated.

Wow, this troll (the op) sure has started a firestorm. Which I am guessing was exactly their intent. They have not been back since their first post. Now they are just sitting back watching the fireworks. Have fun with that.

Wow, this troll (the op) sure has started a firestorm. Which I am guessing was exactly their intent. They have not been back since their first post. Now they are just sitting back watching the fireworks. Have fun with that.

I have my own personal feeling about trolls. And that is: If someone truly has such a sad and pathetic life - that sitting at a computer with the sole purpose of seeing if they can get a reaction on a community board - is all they have to do. Well....then, I have happy to give them any small morsel of happiness to improve that sad and pathetic existance that I can.......:D :D

We are going on our first RC cruise on the Mariner of the Seas and we heard that they dont allow children in any of the pay restuarants. Does anyone know if this is true, if so not very family friendly - and will surely send me straight back to NCL - anything you could provide on the subject would be appreciated - Thanks!
Even Disney has an adults only restaurant and pool. Family friendly does not mean children have 100% access to everything.

It depends on how good of a sneaker you are. If you are really good, you're right, I won't see you. If you are not that good, I might see you. :)

Archived