princess cruise, or retirement home?

agrip76

We just got back from the emerald princess on 10/27, and I have to say I was in shock with the amount of elderly people on the cruise. I first have to say, the ship was beautiful, and we had the time of our lives. We had a mini suite, and I would never go cruising without one. The service was excellent, and the islands were so much fun. The staff went out of their way to show everyone a good time. Here is the sad part, and I am not exaggerating. Out of 3000 people on the Emerald, there were less than 100 people under 40. I honestly would say the average age was 75 or 80. And one more thing, I have never met such close minded people on a cruise. We cruised with "the bears" and people complained that they should have been told they would be on our cruise because they would not have gone.

First of all it's against the law. Should the cruise call you and say "there is a large group of white people on the ship" or "there is a huge african american group coming on the Emerald" Wake up people, they didn't bother anyone, they stayed to themselves and had a good time. And I didn't hear them complain half as much as the elderly people on the cruise. Maybe I am just way too young, but I have never heard so much complaining about everything on the cruise!!!! The cruise can't read your mind, they are not going to do things exactly the way you want it!!!!

For those looking for a cruise that are under 50 or those that want more of a "alive" feeling on your vacation, don't choose Princess. Choose carnival. They know how to have a good time.

I just returned (about a month ago) from a Hawaiian cruise on the Princess Diamond, and I have to agree with you. I found a LOT of the passengers grumpy, and most were 60-80 years old. I don't have anything against any age group, but they were downright surprised if you said hi to them, or good morning. The staff was the least friendly of any cruise I've ever taken, (maybe because the passengers were'n't) I don't know, maybe I've just had VERY good staff on all my other cruises.

In any case, those were my and my mates experiences. There were several other passengers I talked with who made the same comments as these about this cruise.

rdhead43

I was on a Christmas cruise a few years ago that was marketed to some of us as a Singles cruise.....to others as a Family cruise.....and to a third group as a Gay cruise. We were all surprised, but guess what? Everyone found their own group without any trouble and it all worked out well. The mixture made the trip interesting and fun and everyone got along just fine. Never heard any complaints.

OK, am one of those grumpy older persons. I remember wondering why older persons were grumpy. So this is my take

1. Pain is not fun. How about you? Do you know how to stay cheerful all the time - even in pain? If so, please teach me how.

2. Loss of hearing can make some people look grumpy. Do you know how to stay in touch when you don't know what other people are doing because you cannot hear what they are saying or doing? If so, please teach me how.

3. Loss of sleep can make some people look grumpy. Do you know how hard it is to sleep when people are making lots of noise? If so, please teach me how.

4. Fear can make people look grumpy. Do you know what it is like to break a bone, have a heart attack, have a stoke, know you have cancer and know that most you of you life is over? I am sorry to say, that everyone will learn that lesson.

Many years ago, my DH and enjoyed a wonderful honeymoon. I remember many things about it. I don’t remember who else was there, if they were old or young, if they talked to me, or if the staff of the hotel was friendly. It did not matter. As for entertainment, we just retired to our room ;). As for learning how to be grumpy, life will teach that. Until that happens, enjoy. And if you see me on a cruise, looking grumpy, smile and remember that I enjoyed every moment (and still do.)

OK, am one of those grumpy older persons. I remember wondering why older persons were grumpy. So this is my take

1. Pain is not fun. How about you? Do you know how to stay cheerful all the time - even in pain? If so, please teach me how.

2. Loss of hearing can make some people look grumpy. Do you know how to stay in touch when you don't know what other people are doing because you cannot hear what they are saying or doing? If so, please teach me how.

3. Loss of sleep can make some people look grumpy. Do you know how hard it is to sleep when people are making lots of noise? If so, please teach me how.

4. Fear can make people look grumpy. Do you know what it is like to break a bone, have a heart attack, have a stoke, know you have cancer and know that most you of you life is over? I am sorry to say, that everyone will learn that lesson.

Many years ago, my DH and enjoyed a wonderful honeymoon. I remember many things about it. I don’t remember who else was there, if they were old or young, if they talked to me, or if the staff of the hotel was friendly. It did not matter. As for entertainment, we just retired to our room ;). As for learning how to be grumpy, life will teach that. Until that happens, enjoy. And if you see me on a cruise, looking grumpy, smile and remember that I enjoyed every moment (and still do.)

Good points. :)

I'm not complaining, i'm stating a fact. People don't have to agree with being gay or lesbian but to loudly complain about them is rude. I also think a lot of travel agents and Princess as well, give misleading information about the age range on their cruise line. I was told by my travel agent and the cruise line that they have almost a 50/50 ratio of younger and older people. They should not tell people that.

We were not expecting a spring break party, but a little more lively nightlife on the ship would have been nice.

Quote - I'm not complaining, i'm stating a fact.

No you're stating an opinion - a complaining one... THAT'S accurate (close to factual). The rest of us can only imagine what you'll sound like in 30+ years

Factually, you are highly inaccurate in claiming less than 100 onboard were under age 40 since a Bear cruise by its own demographics will have way more than that. You might have meant that there were less than 100 just like YOU. That I believe. :D Actually, I'm skeptical that a Bear cruise was as socio-entertainment 'dead' as you claim... unless you found it impossible to interact... which means that you probably have more in common with the oldsters you complain of than you realize.

OK - so there were a lot of (crabby) oldsters and gays. Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

But denouncing Princess is a safe way to vicariously bash. Princess pax demographic - generally speaking - in no different than Celebrity or HAL and probably younger. RCI and Carnival may have slightly more young people on average, but any given cruise their pax may be the same or older. Criticizing the line on this basis demonstrates a lack of experience cruising.

Your criticism of Princess is misplaced. The skewed demographic on board of elderly and gay may have been less than ideal, but that's not anything a generalization can be made from, regarding any of them... the line, seniors, or gays...

a holiday or a cruise holiday is what you make of it yourself, i dont go around looking to see what age people are , and what preferences they have, i say live and let live enjoy what you have theres plenty of people in the world that cant even enjoy a holiday never mind a cruise

linda:p

My DH and I will be sailing later this month, I am 23 and he is only a few years older. I have been cruising since I was 7. Yes, I expect to be the youngest passenger without a parent, I am pregnant, therefore I do not drink, stay up into the wee hours of the morning partying, and often take naps! I am not worried about the age of my fellow passengers. Hey the older, the earlier the dinner and bedtime... hopefully! I am much more concerned with the respect of the other passengers than the average age.

I would much rather see grandma's and grandpa's than to have someone blowing smoke in my face! I just hope the Grandma's will not wear too much perfume! (I know there are 'young' Grandma's out there, my Parents are in the early to mid 40s and are Grandparents... but you know what I mean! Anyone who goes to the 'Grandma' section of the store to buy clothes)

One thing that will bother on the cruise if an ''older'' pax tries to get special attention/services because of being old. Even though I may look just like everyone else, I have Spina Bifida, something like an "easy" task of climbing a flight of stairs sometimes can be nearly impossible. I have been yelled at by a woman in her 60's for parking in a handicapped spot (with my placard, of course!). I do not want any similar experiences on this cruise. I just hope no one will try to cut in front of any line just because of their age... who would say anything to a little old lady for cutting in front of you?

An to the person who said that ''older'' people are able to afford 'expensive' trips, I pay thousands every year to Social Security...enough to pay for all of the 65+ pax on board in just a couple of years. I am not the one who is looking at 30+ years of unemployment (I guess you call it retirement). People of every age face the same financial restrictions or freedoms... Most people my age are barely affording rent in their studio apartment, while we are out buying house #3. And no, not one cent that I have today is from my parents. All hard earned $ from having brains. So to you...DeepWaterMariner... you are wrong about 'stating the obvious'. I would love to compare net worth, bank statements, financial statements- your choice.

I can't believe how homophobic people can be! I live next door to "The Queens" and they are much better neighbors than any straight couple! The only thing that I could see someone complaining about is Public displays of affection, but if you kiss your SO in public, then you should shut your mouth. You wouldn't want someone complaining about you kissing your SO, so you should have the same respect. Just MHO. Guess the younger crowds are more open minded than the older ones.

Anyone can take the same trip and twist it anyway they want. If you look negatives, you will find them. If you just try to have a good time, then you will. Simple.

Besides if it wasn't for the old people, you would complain for the kids- you always have to complain about something, maybe the service next?

Besides if it wasn't for the old people, you would complain for the kids- you always have to complain about something, maybe the service next?

I hope you will, and I am sure you will, enjoy your Princess cruise. However, if you do some research on past posts, you will find myriads of complaints on service, coffee, young people, old people, terrible food, missed ports. Complaining seems to be the norm on the Cruise Critic boards. We have had 21 princess cruises and have enjoyed everyone of them. There were minor problems, but they were always taken care of with a "please" and a "thank you" not "I demand" and "It's about time".

Perhaps some folks go on a cruise with extremely high expectations. Maybe it's the advertising hype that "you will be treated like royalty" that blinds some folks.

Ron

I feel this way now and I'm only 46.

that guy needs to show respect,to everyone with whatever preferences they have personally, and especially "the elderly"!I hope when Im 80 Im still cruising and partying like my parents wo are alittle older,..! the joy for life they and "elderly "people have, who get out there and do things is inspiring, shame on that rude guy!..there's alot to learn from those older then us, especially how to be happy , travel and do things they enjoy no matter the aches and heartaches suffered by 80...I plan to still be partying & drinking my coronas by the time Im 80 AND STLLL CRUISING..!show respect to everyone especially the "elderly" what evr that is considered..I wish I still had my grandmother to go cruise with !

my whole point of the post was that people were way older than 50 or 60, they were more like 80ish. And if those people are on and want to have a good time and party with the rest of us also fine. But when they are grumpy, and complain about every little thing that is not like they are used to at home, or when they are belittling the staff about the smallest things, that's when I have a problem.

I heard so many times on that cruise, people yelling at staff about things like "i want my donut now!!!" or how the coffee is awful or how come the ice cream guy would not scoop out 4 scoops of ice cream in four bowls for them to eat themselves. And complaining about gay men?!?!? I can't believe how close minded they are. I heard complaints about the choices of Halloween costumes and many more complaints. And no, most of "the bears" were not young, and yes I did go and "party" with them. but when there are only 3 girls in a club with shirtless men it's a little intimidating. Let them have their own fun.

I think that older people is fine. I think the cruiseline caters to them just a little too much. Most of the activities were geared towards the seniors on board and it just makes it a little less fun for the younger people.

Agrip - your last post conjured up a collision of Christopher Street and "The Golden Girls" which I think was you point.

The passenger mix you experienced was not a typical Princess cruise, but it could occur on any major cruise line. You just got LUCKY! :D

Shirtless men on the make in the lounges... Christopher Street. The line was disregarding its stated dress policy in that case; a policy the Bears ought to respect as much as anyone else. Apparently, it wasn't just the seniors the line was trying to catering to...

Sounds like it could've made a funny movie.

Next time, maybe a 7 day cruise during a school break would appeal more. Young parents, older student types...

agrip, perhaps you should print your posts, stick it on the frig and refer back to it when you get elderly! For many of us posting here, we are in our 50s or 60s, and have aging parents. My 90 year old dad joined us 3 years ago on an Alaskan cruise - his dream of a lifetime, and I'm so very thankful he could make the trip! I guarantee as you get older, I think (and hope) your attitude will change. The ship is large enough for you to avoid who offends you, but I imagine you'll hear complaints from any age on any ships. For our personal experience on the Dawn 3 weeks ago, we visited the young and the old - we discussed ports, weather, KIKO the storm - met so many nice people...no complaints from the groups we got matched up with - matter of fact, they were absolutely delightful.

my whole point of the post was that people were way older than 50 or 60, they were more like 80ish. And if those people are on and want to have a good time and party with the rest of us also fine. But when they are grumpy, and complain about every little thing that is not like they are used to at home, or when they are belittling the staff about the smallest things, that's when I have a problem.

I heard so many times on that cruise, people yelling at staff about things like "i want my donut now!!!" or how the coffee is awful or how come the ice cream guy would not scoop out 4 scoops of ice cream in four bowls for them to eat themselves. And complaining about gay men?!?!? I can't believe how close minded they are. I heard complaints about the choices of Halloween costumes and many more complaints. And no, most of "the bears" were not young, and yes I did go and "party" with them. but when there are only 3 girls in a club with shirtless men it's a little intimidating. Let them have their own fun.

I think that older people is fine. I think the cruiseline caters to them just a little too much. Most of the activities were geared towards the seniors on board and it just makes it a little less fun for the younger people.

So you feel that "old" people shouldn't cruise - do you not plan on not getting "old"? And what gives you the idea that Princess caters to the "old" people - I am 71 - Princess does not do anything special for me!!

Ron

For those looking for a cruise that are under 50 or those that want more of a "alive" feeling on your vacation, don't choose Princess.

agrip -- Get a "grip":)

Since DW and I have been residents of Space Ship Earth for six + decades, we will continue to cruise on the old folks cruise lines.

Sorry that we bother you:rolleyes:

As DW often states: "We probably have spent more time standing in the Buffet Line than some folks have spent cruising".;)

Agrip, is comparing with Carnival, a line that is more high activity than Princess. I will give them that.

I also get that Agrip does not like old people, and if they had read these boards a lot, they would learn that most serious cruisers hate any large group of special interest people on their cruise.

Special interest groups tend to take over various parts of the ship, and also can act out of character. I do have to ask just how old are you Agrip?

Also from what point of view are you coming from? Were you looking for a 24/7 party or just a time out from work to relax. We cruise to relax. Life and work is enough party for us.

older so that when youre " complaining" and no one answers or listens or helps you.maybe youll remember everyones comments here....again, no one told you to pay attention to comments around you, why werent you having any fun yourself w/ whoever you were with? you were awfully focused on everyone else..in many cultures the "elderly" are respected beyond belief and rightly so,...I say "eldelry " should be catered to everywhere any time....altho I doubt a cruisleine caters and favors 1 person or group over another..I look forward to chatting with some "elderly "people on my next cruise and see what wisdom I can learn!! hope you didnt let any heavy doors slam into an "elderly" person on board...

that guy needs to show respect,to everyone with whatever preferences they have personally, and especially "the elderly"!I hope when Im 80 Im still cruising and partying like my parents wo are alittle older,..! the joy for life they and "elderly "people have, who get out there and do things is inspiring, shame on that rude guy!..there's alot to learn from those older then us, especially how to be happy , travel and do things they enjoy no matter the aches and heartaches suffered by 80...I plan to still be partying & drinking my coronas by the time Im 80 AND STLLL CRUISING..!show respect to everyone especially the "elderly" what evr that is considered..I wish I still had my grandmother to go cruise with !

First of all if you read the post you'll see Agrip is not a guy. Second there is nothing anyone can say to make you realize their behavior was unacceptable. Don't assume that just because they are elderly they are kind and full of wisdom. Maybe it's the case with some people, but's there's a lot of different people in this world, and from what she says, their behavior was just wrong. I don't think she focused on the elderly people who were complaining about everything, I think they were VERY DIFFICULT TO TUNE OUT.

First of all if you read the post you'll see Agrip is not a guy. Second there is nothing anyone can say to make you realize their behavior was unacceptable. Don't assume that just because they are elderly they are kind and full of wisdom. Maybe it's the case with some people, but's there's a lot of different people in this world, and from what she says, their behavior was just wrong. I don't think she focused on the elderly people who were complaining about everything, I think they were VERY DIFFICULT TO TUNE OUT.

Excellent post, I saw the same things on the Emerald that the OP saw. :eek:

Excellent post, I saw the same things on the Emerald that the OP saw. :eek:

Thanks... I honestly can't see that the OP is saying all elderly people are obnoxious, but it certainly sounds like they saw their share of it on that cruise. Bottom line is they experienced what they experienced, and all these defenders of the elderly were not there, so how can the assert that the OP just hates elderly people and was focusing on other peoples conversations. As I said, it is difficult to ignore when people are very loudly complaining a great deal.

Archived