princess cruise, or retirement home?

agrip76

We just got back from the emerald princess on 10/27, and I have to say I was in shock with the amount of elderly people on the cruise. I first have to say, the ship was beautiful, and we had the time of our lives. We had a mini suite, and I would never go cruising without one. The service was excellent, and the islands were so much fun. The staff went out of their way to show everyone a good time. Here is the sad part, and I am not exaggerating. Out of 3000 people on the Emerald, there were less than 100 people under 40. I honestly would say the average age was 75 or 80. And one more thing, I have never met such close minded people on a cruise. We cruised with "the bears" and people complained that they should have been told they would be on our cruise because they would not have gone.

First of all it's against the law. Should the cruise call you and say "there is a large group of white people on the ship" or "there is a huge african american group coming on the Emerald" Wake up people, they didn't bother anyone, they stayed to themselves and had a good time. And I didn't hear them complain half as much as the elderly people on the cruise. Maybe I am just way too young, but I have never heard so much complaining about everything on the cruise!!!! The cruise can't read your mind, they are not going to do things exactly the way you want it!!!!

For those looking for a cruise that are under 50 or those that want more of a "alive" feeling on your vacation, don't choose Princess. Choose carnival. They know how to have a good time.

I've known of many young people who complain constantly. When they get old, guess what they do? They complain.

I really don't believe negativity is a function of age, it's a personality trait. Sounds like you just got unlucky.

I'm a nurse and I'm around old people every day. They don't complain any more than the young people do. In fact, they seem to be more tolerant of life's aches and pains because they are more used to them. The younger patients are more often of the belief that pain can be eliminated vs. reduced. That's often just not possible.

I tend to like positive people more than negative regardless of their age.

If you want to see rude and "better than you", take a cruise out of LA - many Californians do this because they can drive to the port - however (with some exceptions) all they want to talk about is their "stuff" "properties", "money", etc. I would prefer rude to this.

IMHO

Ron

Geez Ron, I think you're a bit confused between the SoCal folk and the NorCal folk. Us NorCal folk like to don't brag, even though we live in the greatest spot on Earth. Living here in Wine Country, vineyards everywhere...making a great salary, just bought a very large gas guzzling SUV that I really don't need (to heck w/ those eco-loving hippies). But gas is sky-high (highest in the nation), our house values are crashing, we have some of the worst schools for our children, our illegal immigrant population is out of control (but I love my gardners :D ), no snow on Christmas here....it just $uck$ here in CA.

Seriously, braggarts are everywhere. Most of us NorCal people are down to Earth folk. Most of my SoCal kin are good folk too. Don't generalize an area w/ such little data (a couple cruisers compared to our 33 million population). On another note...if you live in say, North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana....what do you really have to brag about? The roaming elk that went thru your downtown the week prior?

Sorry I am not bitter, but I found thet most of the Californians that were bragginup their "stuff were BSing, their stories were very inconsistent.

My story is AWAYS consistent.....I have LOTS of "stuff" ya wanna come by and sit by the pool while I show ya my "stuff"???? :rolleyes: LOL :D

Reading the title, I took it literally. We just returned from a HAL cruise. Two doors down from us was a delightful lady who LIVED on the ship. I'd read about this, thinking maybe it was a joke. She was 84 and had lived onboard for 8 years (probably has to switch ships from time to time). She said she was having a blast. In Cozemel, we saw her on her walker out on the streets like everyone else. There were indeed many older folks on board and I think these are the backbone of HAL's customer base and perhaps that of other lines. We are recently retired and very active. The retirees are the ones who have the time to go on cruises apart from holiday periods. For a wilder time, I imagine you could choose holiday periods or as someone suggested, Carnival.

As for us, we don't mind the elders and love the fact that there are only a few children, all of whom were well-mannered and not one obnoxious person onboard. As for complaining, we didn't hear any but did notice that the crew at the main desk have their hands full handling complaints which they do with unbelievable patience.

I find it very odd that people want more choices on the cruise ship with the food, shows, excursions, etc., but they only want to be with people like themselves.

We would have loved to hang out with the bears. They were probably the people that had the most fun. As far as older cruisers, I have sat quietly at dinner and have listened to the most amzaing stories from older people. We could all learn a little something from them.

A rainbow is many colors joined together.

I find it very odd that people want more choices on the cruise ship with the food, shows, excursions, etc., but they only want to be with people like themselves.

We would have loved to hang out with the bears. They were probably the people that had the most fun. As far as older cruisers, I have sat quietly at dinner and have listened to the most amzaing stories from older people. We could all learn a little something from them.

Well said. What is that old saying "judge not.........."

You betcha. I myself have many "bear" friends and not only are they a fun group, but they are courteous, responsible and have a tendency to look after the elderly who need help. Great group of guys who would be much more pleasant to cruise with than a bunch of people complaining about others because they don't fit their demographic...or because they're wondering what's going on in the privacy of a "bear" cabin.

It's somewhat disappointing to see how the older demographic have been treated on this thread. I'm a great believer in Karma - and unless some of the younger demographic are planning on dying young, they'll be riding around on their scooters someday as well and will probably be the subject of this kind of thread...obviously they're not going to be happy in old age.

Ron.. I think that BSing has no boundaries. And as a Californian, I take offense at your statement that most Californians are braggarts. If we met on a cruise, you will never know just how much "stuff" I have, although I do drive a Lexus LS, live in a million dollar home and have a 7 digit bank account.. :D:D:D

Merry Christmas..

Sorry Larry, I didn't .say most Californians were braggarts - I said or meant that most of the Californians on this cruise were braggarts or. wannabe rich folk. Many of them had inconsistant stories of their lifestyle during the course of dinner.. I realize that the starting price for most homes there is 1 million, I don't drive a Lexus but I do have a Colorado, LTZ and a Solstice - and I don't have a 7 figure bank account - thats why I cruise Princess not Crystal. :D ;) :)

Ron

Well Larry, my $750K house has dropped to $600K so I won't be bragging to Ron too much about it....though I'm sure his villa in Michigan should be worth at least $150K:D

I need to book a cruise with Ron....I could have SOOO much fun with him! :eek:

A $150K house in Oscoda would be worth about $750K in California.

Ron

OK - I guess some of you folks misinterpreted my post - I don't enjoy sitting around a dining table for two hours and listen to people tell me about their "stuff" whether they actually have it or don't have it. I have found that most folks do this in an attempt to impress others.

You would not have fun with me poolside because I would probably only stay there for about 30 seconds once you started talking "stuff"

One tablemate changed his story of what kind of car he drove three. times during dinner. Then he mentioned that he and DW quite often will fly down to Florida for a weekend during the winter months (yes he was from California) - When I asked him where in Florida do you go - he didn't know and had to ask his wife. She was tuned in to his BS and came up with Boca Raton.

and LARGIN - I was not singling you out - I hope you didn't take offense.

Ron

Ron

agrip, perhaps you should print your posts, stick it on the frig and refer back to it when you get elderly! For many of us posting here, we are in our 50s or 60s, and have aging parents. My 90 year old dad joined us 3 years ago on an Alaskan cruise - his dream of a lifetime, and I'm so very thankful he could make the trip! I guarantee as you get older, I think (and hope) your attitude will change. The ship is large enough for you to avoid who offends you, but I imagine you'll hear complaints from any age on any ships. For our personal experience on the Dawn 3 weeks ago, we visited the young and the old - we discussed ports, weather, KIKO the storm - met so many nice people...no complaints from the groups we got matched up with - matter of fact, they were absolutely delightful.

Oh please Doven, you sound like every other older person who commented on this post, talking down agrip..."you'll understand when your older" Agrip isnt 10 or 16, they don't need your I know from experience speech. ALMOST every older person has responded to Agrip's comments the same way. With a little disdain, a little of grumpiness, and a little of don't like it too bad. I am not trying to be rude but I wish you could read some of the replies in a 20 somethings eyes.

I started reading this thread for the same reason Agrip posted the comment. I am in the mid to late 20's, as well as my girlfriend. I would like to go on a cruise with her, and it being me and her, a romantic one. I like, agrip, have no problem with older folk that are wiser and more experienced in life than myself, BUT, I don't wanna be a on a 2000+ passenger boat when less than 10% of those on it are in their 20's, and 70% are over 60. NOR am I looking for a spring break cruise or a step down in class or luxuary and willing to get on a carnival cruise. (Have never been, but many other friends of mine have didn't enjoy it).

No problem with cruising with other older people or couples, and I EXPECT to, But if I want to go hang out with all my Grandfathers WWII buddies, I can go to the VFW with him when I return from Iraq.

I think Agrip was, and still IS by defending comments, trying to say their was an OVER PROPORTIONAL amount of a very older crowd... more than to be expected.

Oh please Doven, you sound like every other older person who commented on this post, talking down agrip..."you'll understand when your older" Agrip isnt 10 or 16, they don't need your I know from experience speech. ALMOST every older person has responded to Agrip's comments the same way. With a little disdain, a little of grumpiness, and a little of don't like it too bad. I am not trying to be rude but I wish you could read some of the replies in a 20 somethings eyes.

I started reading this thread for the same reason Agrip posted the comment. I am in the mid to late 20's, as well as my girlfriend. I would like to go on a cruise with her, and it being me and her, a romantic one. I like, agrip, have no problem with older folk that are wiser and more experienced in life than myself, BUT, I don't wanna be a on a 2000+ passenger boat when less than 10% of those on it are in their 20's, and 70% are over 60. NOR am I looking for a spring break cruise or a step down in class or luxuary and willing to get on a carnival cruise. (Have never been, but many other friends of mine have didn't enjoy it).

No problem with cruising with other older people or couples, and I EXPECT to, But if I want to go hang out with all my Grandfathers WWII buddies, I can go to the VFW with him when I return from Iraq.

I think Agrip was, and still IS by defending comments, trying to say their was an OVER PROPORTIONAL amount of a very older crowd... more than to be expected.

Do you think Princess should limit their pax that are over 70? They would have to sell half of theirn ships.

Ron

Gonna stick my two cent's worth in, for what it's worth (in this day and age, certainly not two cents). I was born late in my folks marriage. All the kids from our neighborhood were in high school or college, so i was left as their parents for companions. As I grew up, I found that being around people my age annoy or bore the beejeez out of my. All my friends are much older (or younger) than I am. That why I enjoy Princess - the folks that surround me are a comfortable fit. I enjoy them. We've tried other lines and keep coming back to Princess.

People are people, despite their age, religion, tax brackets, gender or lifestyle preferences or race. If more judgemental folks remebered that, there would be a lot less fussing in the world.

Just be happy that you can cruise. Not too many years ago, it was a world out of reach for most of us.

Charlie

Another proud Californian!

Over Proportional??? Are you kidding me? You have left me speechless (or wordless for that matter). I wonder, do you have specifications on minorities as well? What percent should be from other nationalities?

The bottom line is this . . . the OP should have been better educated and informed about the cruise they were going to take and when. I understand (as I'm sure most of the people here do as well) that on a first cruise, sometimes we don't have all the facts. However, the OP was checking around here before the cruise and in fact asked, but not correctly, about the ages on a cruise. Had the OP asked "I am looking at sailing on the <insert ship name> going to <insert intinerary> during the weeks of <insert dates>." Someone would/could have replied and said "remember that that itinerary along with those dates will probably have an older crowd due to <insert specifics>." The OP should not have come here and been disrespectful and rude to the older population.

There are rude people everywhere - old, young, middle-aged, white, black, whatever. To point fingers at specific people is not only rude and disrespectful, IMHO, it is way out of line in this day and age.

Merry Christmas.

Archived