is claudio gone?

refman

did they (ncl) finally get rid of claudio? we were in a suite(owners) earlier this year and i didn`t see any value to his service at all, he was nice enough but extremely over compensated as compared to some of the other crew members. the most he did for us was dinner reservations and the one issue we had he was unable to resolve i think because he was to busy with garden villa people. other than some minor issues and one major complaint the cruise was very nice. i`m not sure he could make or brake a cruise vacation or not especially since the price of the suites are`nt easy to take.

We met Claudio on the Gem Inaugural, and when I addessed him as the "famous" Claudio, he was very pleasant, and whilst we were only in an AF made us both feel very special, arranged a special treat for us as his guests, and never failed to address us by name. The question is, how did he know our names, we never mentioned them. He was superb, chatted about issues and took an interest in us as people.

I think he is on the Gem until December and I hope we meet him again, very pleasant and a credit to his trade.

did they (ncl) finally get rid of claudio? we were in a suite(owners) earlier this year and i didn`t see any value to his service at all, he was nice enough but extremely over compensated as compared to some of the other crew members. the most he did for us was dinner reservations and the one issue we had he was unable to resolve i think because he was to busy with garden villa people. other than some minor issues and one major complaint the cruise was very nice. i`m not sure he could make or brake a cruise vacation or not especially since the price of the suites are`nt easy to take.

I always think it is sad to name crew on the boards as they cannot defend themselves. Personally I deal with issues on the spot, in that way I never feel like the victim.

Guest Anorak33

I know Claudio is still on the Gem. I cannot think why NCL would want him to leave, or as the OP puts it get rid of him.

How would the OP know whether or not a Concierge or any other crew member is or is not overcompensated?

Previous posts by the OP say that NCL crew don't know how to smile and that a shop or spa assistant informed the OP that NCL are not trained properly.

The OP also doesn't like freestyle dining but prefers HAL and fixed dining.

It just makes me wonder why the OP still comes on here ? Maybe just to insult Claudio who I found to be very helpful.

Claudio is a Clef d'Or concierge, a marque d'excellence for his trade.

He's been chosen by NCL to be part of the opening team working on the Gem. That doesn't sound like someone who's close to dismissal, but rather someone whose star is rising.

He's on the Gem until March, and we are looking forward to seeing him soon when we sail over the New Year.

Look at that smile. It's genuine. That's not easy to find, in this day & age.

No, that's not me holding the bottle. I don't remember his name, but there were about 10 of us on the balcony when that pic was taken.

Claudiotemp.jpg.5ebb0af2410514d06d434497bb6098d6.jpg

Guest Anorak33

Thats a big balcony, sounds just like the forward penthouse suite we had on Gem last month. Was it 9502, I can't remember, memories fade so quickly.

I have only good things to say about Claudio as well.

In spite of his professional approach to his job he can be a bit of a party bunny late at night when the occasion allows it!

Claudio is one of the chosen team for opening up new ships and general troubleshooting on NCL's fleet, along with Klaus and Sean on Hotel and Catering. All very professional.

A great team, Gem's inaugural had nothing going wrong that was obvious to any of the passengers I met, it ran like a well oiled machine, actually even better than Pearl's inagural last year which we also cruised on.

Refman, if you ever get the chance to sail with Claudio again please do so with an open mind. Claudio is an excellent concierge. I do believe something was going on earlier this year which may have effected some service to the AA's and under. I know when we sailed in the Owner's suite in April there was a Garden Villa that also had a pary of 8 inside cabins that he had to service. I didn't find a decrease in the level of service but I was busy with 4 kids so I probably wouldn't notice. But Claudio is one of the best concierge's out there and he is wonderful person. So I hope you do sail with him again so you'll see what I mean:)

The picture was taken on the forward deck of Jewel cabin 9504 during her first and only Baltics cruise in 2005.

It was my party and I don't remember the guys name that was holding the bottle either.

What I do remember is Cludio's constant attention to detail and his desire to make our cruise an experience of a lifetime.

I don't know Claudio's after hours habits but I do know that he, along with Alex, Carlos and Ruth are the main reason we return to NCL cruise after cruise.

Tips make up a majority of a concierge's salary. When I am on board I do what I can to see that they are "over compensated".

If the other entries on this thread are true then the OP should move forward. Maybe something was going on during your cruise behind the scenes. maybe Claudio was sick or had family issues. The service level you describe does not sound like my experience with any conceirge, on any of my many NCL cruises.

I always think it is sad to name crew on the boards as they cannot defend themselves. Personally I deal with issues on the spot, in that way I never feel like the victim.

This is so true, I have seen Ruth beaten to a pulp on these very boards by a fussy man who thinks the world should revolve around him.

I confronted her on the Jewel about these allegations and sure enough, there are two sides to every story.

I have seen a butler on the Dawn berated for not providing a full service breakfast to a suite passenger on a short cruise. When this superb individual was my butler on the Dawn two weeks ago I asked about this incident. He said Miami told him not provide this amenity on short cruises but if the PAX would have been nice about it they would have received there special request any way.

Just like anywhere else in life, if you treat these people with respect they will stop the world for you, if you treat them like servants you will get exactly what the brochure describes or hopefully less.

I also agree it is unfair to make judgement on individuals on these boards. There is always someone on board the ship who is in control of the events that happen, such as a hotel director. If you feel that criticism is deserved, talk to the hotel director and correct it immediately where it will do the most good. We have sailed with Claudio and found him efficient and effective in the job. He is good natured and ever present. As these ships get larger, the job gets more of a challenge and assistants have started to take on some of the responsibility of the office of concierge. Hopefully this will enable the concierge to oversee the number of pax that require his attention. I hope the OP did take his concerns to the hotel director because we can only judge what we have observed personally. I appreciate your feelings, but we need to take action in the best direction.

Personally, I look forward to seeing Claudio on our January 26th voyage. We will not be in a suite at this trip, but I am sure we will be greeted with the same enthusium and gracious approach he is famous for.

We met Claudio last year on the Dawn. He was over seeing staff in the Spinnaker area. He was not charming and wonderful as I had heard. He was very rude to staff and passengers. Was not impressed at all!

Was he rude to you or did you just observe him ????...

We have sailed with him a few times and always found him the be the consummate professional....

Was he rude to you or did you just observe him ????...

We have sailed with him a few times and always found him the be the consummate professional....

He was rude to a group of passengers. We were in that group. We were not walking fast enough for him.

Not my favorite either- found him to be quite rude the one time I tried to ask him a question during our VIP debarkation on the Dawn last year..... He sure did kiss up to the Villa passengers, though!!! The very distinct impression he gave me was that unless I was one of the Villa/OS passengers, he could'nt be bothered.

On the other hand, Jacki was wonderful on our recent Sun cruise.

We have sailed in an AA twice with Claudio as concierge anad have not been as pleased with his services as we have been with other concierges of the line.

But there are many more who seem to swear by him and adore him, but may seem to be repeaters or maybe he's better on Gem than he was on Dawn?

(Our conclusion is that if you ain't in a Garden Villa, you ain't shoes with Claudio.)

And, I must say, even though I've participated, I do find this line of discussion to be just slightly offensive as a personal attack on a decent man.

I agree Pirate.

Just because Claudio did not bend over backwards for the OP is really no reason he should be dismissed. Claudio has a reputation that has been earned over a period of time. Just because one person finds him not to his liking is no reason to besmirch his reputation.

Besides I have always found there to be two sides to every story.

PE

Not my favorite either- found him to be quite rude the one time I tried to ask him a question during our VIP debarkation on the Dawn last year..... He sure did kiss up to the Villa passengers, though!!! The very distinct impression he gave me was that unless I was one of the Villa/OS passengers, he could'nt be bothered.

On the other hand, Jacki was wonderful on our recent Sun cruise.

I guess he will kiss up to the people who are in the Villa or passengers where he knows a tip is coming.

I guess he will kiss up to the people who are in the Villa or passengers where he knows a tip is coming.

That's interesting. We were in an inside cabin, and yet he befriended us anyway...we weren't tipping, nor were we in the Villas.

Yes, we had friends in the AA, and others in the Courtyard...but we were still nobodies, and yet Claudio still remembers us, 3 years later.

This is a disgusting slur on a man who has done a great job for us everytime we have cruised with him.

Stop personalising this and broaden it out to all staff, it seems to me that despite the fact NCL crew are excellent, passenger "reap what they sow"

I have observed that those passengers who are determined to find fault, complain, expect the crew to do everything no matter how unreasonable, seem to have problems with crew. Those of us who treat the crew as we would like to be treated ourselves do not seem to have these same issues. I would also observe that those passengers with jobs that cause them to be berated by joe public fifty weeks of the year take the opportunity to get some stupid revenge on those that look after them for the length of their cruise.

The issue with regard to conceige service that NCL needs to address is widening it to "Platitude" members, guys like Claudio Alex Ruth etc cannot be expected to provide top line service to too many people!

Maureen, We have had three different concierges on the Dawn and they never knew beforehand what we would or IF we would tip them. I doubt that is an issue. I imagine the front office has instructed that the GV pax should receive the max treatment, afterall, they are paying for it, big time. I am sure they are anxious for them to be return customers. I would assume they are doing their job and doing it well as instructed.

It's HIS JOB to cater to the people in the Villa and the cabin catagories where tipping him might be expected.

We thought he was wonderful. :)

We just returned from the Nov 9th Gem sailing and we were very happy with all the personal service and help we received from Claudio. We were in a AB Penthouse, Claudio greeted us before we embarked in Barcelona, handled all our reservations, visited at many of our dinners, help us secure seats at the shows, and was downstairs to help us find our luggage when we disembarked. He seemed to be everywhere, and always remembered us by name. This was our first time with a concierge and we found him to be one of the best perks of the suite experience.

Greg

Archived