How many of you use the spa?

JWestShuh

The spa has no appeal for me whatsoever. My sister and brother-in-law always treat themselves to some spa treatment on their cruises, but I'd rather use that money to treat myself to Portofino or Chops.

BIL always told us how wonderful the massages were, but his last cruise the masseuse injured BIL's neck somehow and he has never been right since. He has had accupuncture, been to doctors, taken medicine--everything-- but his neck still hurts him to this day--a year later. I wonder if he has lost some enthusiasm for the spa.

The spa has no appeal for me whatsoever. My sister and brother-in-law always treat themselves to some spa treatment on their cruises, but I'd rather use that money to treat myself to Portofino or Chops.

BIL always told us how wonderful the massages were, but his last cruise the masseuse injured BIL's neck somehow and he has never been right since. He has had accupuncture, been to doctors, taken medicine--everything-- but his neck still hurts him to this day--a year later. I wonder if he has lost some enthusiasm for the spa.

That would do it.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope he somehow gets fixed.

Just a thought, but I believe they are almost obliged to try an 'upsell.'

"Why?" you ask? :)

It's simple. They work on commission and make a bit more $ if they sell more 'product'.

Also, they don't know if a customer is a real customer or 'secret shopper' or someone from the spa company checking out the sales techniques of their employees.

Heck. Even when you go to the movie theatre or fast-food drive-thru, any SELF-RESPECTING customer service person will try to upsell you a large for a medium, a medium for a small.

In fact, don't tell anyone, but cruise lines have been known to try to upsell their customers. SHH!! I never said that. It's between you and I. :D

I once had a massage on land from a former Steiner (the company that runs most cruise ship spas) employee and he said that they make their money on tips and commissions and are only paid $10 (it might have been less) per treatment. He also said that he left because he couldn't stand trying to sell products that he didn't think were any good.

On the Vision last week I was on a treadmill while one of the "eat to be thin" or some other seminars was being held. Toward the end, the "lecturer" said not to completely trust your doctor's advice because he or she is in a business to make money.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 4 massages in my life and I didnt think they were worth the money. 5 minutes after the massage I feel the same as before the massage. I can't say that I've had one that was really great, just OK. My DH does a better job. I'm glad I'm not hooked on them, I can think of better things to spend hundreds of dollars on (my friend spends around $600 a month to relax on massages).

Never. If there's one time in my life I REALLY can't spare the cash it's when I'm on vacation, trying to make every dollar count (so I can drink champagne all night, LOL). I would get the spa treatments at home when I need a "mini vacation."

I had a massage on my first cruise and it was awful! Not worth the money. So, I didn't go back to the spa for the next 2 cruises.

But on the last cruise I had 4 different treatments: manicure, pedicure, massage, and facial. They were heavenly! I fell asleep during the massage & facial and started snoring!! :o I was so embarassed, but told her that she was so good that I was totally relaxed Yes, they cost me a pretty penny, but they were budgeted items. I don't drink alcohol or go shopping, so I might have spent the same as others who do those things. On the next cruise I plan to just do a couple treatments - probably the pedicure and facial. And I'll likely do them on port days or the last sea day this time - that does save alot of money.

Archived