What is the Master Chef’s dinner?

kwpatel

On the Statendam in Sep we went to the M.C. Dinner because a friend with us, on her first HAL cruise, hadn't seen it before. She enjoyed it. Many of the servers seemed to be enjoying themselves. That said, I would rather see the shows stay in the show lounge, and just have dinner in the dining room.

We had it two weeks ago on the Veendam. Most people at our table said they could put up with it since it was only one night. One of our tablemates decided to eat elsewhere that night.

There were only two dinner times that evening instead of the normal 4. 5:45 and 8:15....so that upper and lower would be ready for all courses the same time, etc.

They don't generally put the "Master Chef Dinner" on the evening of the BBQ; they usually schedule Dutch Night for the evening of the BBQ.

From what I'm hearing from others, and as I indicated above, not all ships have the Master Chef Dinner ... or, at least, not the "show." Again, we didn't have the "show" on the Ryndam in March, but they did have it on the Volendam this November (we went to the Pinnacle instead).

If you want to avoid it, check with your dining room staff and ask them which night it will be ... and get a confirmation from the Maitre D. Then, book the Pinnacle. It's the best way I've found to handle the problem.

You are right. They said "Dutch Night". Now I am confused at the difference because I have not seen either one. Maybe it is the night they do the Baked Alaska Parade and sing "Love in Any Language". It is really a short presentation the times I have seen it.

You are right. They said "Dutch Night". Now I am confused at the difference because I have not seen either one. Maybe it is the night they do the Baked Alaska Parade and sing "Love in Any Language". It is really a short presentation the times I have seen it.

Dutch night USED to be the evening when Dutch and Indonesian dishes would be on the menu (the Dutch menu items written in dutch!) and they would have dutch-style caps for the men and ladies hats for the women. While many of the Dutch menu items have remained -- though the titles have usually been changed into English -- and the Indonesian Bami Goring is wonderful -- the hats are gone. :(

I agree with the Rev. Its a disaster and HAL should consider doing away with it. We find that its a very good time to go to the Pinnacle or the Lido for dinner.

On the Dutch dinner, I also agree with the Rev that Bambi Goring is excellent except that on our last five cruises they only had Nasi Goring, which is not as good.

We REALLY missed Dutch Night on our last cruise..............the delicious food, the hats, the fun. I'd much prefer they go back to Dutch Night with hats and do away with those paper chef's hats...............what a waste of recycling space.

Maybe it is the night they do the Baked Alaska Parade and sing "Love in Any Language".

The Baked Alaska parade is at the Farewell Dinner. and is on the last Formal Night. It stands alone as a change in SOP that night.

Love In Any Language is the farewell song sung at the end of the disembarkation talk---it has nothing to do with the dining room. The last night the dining room stewards do sing a farewell song, but, again, it's a stand-alone change from the normal dinner.

We were told by the Hotel Manager on the Westerdam that each HM has discretion to hold the Master Chef Dinner or not. My vote is for NOT :)

As much as I dislike the Master Chef's Dinner, however, I still have a soft spot for the traditions of the Baked Alaska parade and the Indonesian Farewell song.

The Baked Alaska parade is at the Farewell Dinner. and is on the last Formal Night. It stands alone as a change in SOP that night.

Love In Any Language is the farewell song sung at the end of the disembarkation talk---it has nothing to do with the dining room. The last night the dining room stewards do sing a farewell song, but, again, it's a stand-alone change from the normal dinner.

Yes, the parade is at the Farewell dinner on the last Formal Night. I have seen them sing Love in Any Language in the Dinning room, I am pretty sure (and again after the talk).

I don't think I have been to the other two events.

After viewing the photos and video, I am GLAD to report that the Noordam did not partake of such nonsense on our recent cruise (10/31-11/10)... I believe there was a Master Chef's Dinner noted on the main menu, and I recall seeing the chef's toque dessert listed as a choice on the dessert menu, but that was it-- no silly dancing and singing, and the meal choices were the same number as there were available on any other night.

We are sailing Westerdam in January and wondering if this takes place is on that ship......UGH! It sounds worse than Carnival's dining room "entertainment." We just suffered through that earlier this month on a family cruise and are hoping Holland is a cut above and more like our favorite Princess. If not, I have to warn my husband and also plan on specialty (Pinnacle?) dining....

Comments?

Thanks, Judy

ok...I'm a newbie to cruising...the b2b cruise with HA on the Westerdam is going to be my 3rd and 4th cruise...I have yet to experience any of this "nonsense" you experienced cruisers are commenting on...I say bring it on!!! I want to experience it all!!

Just remember...there are people out there who can only dream of a cruise...

ok...I'm a newbie to cruising...the b2b cruise with HA on the Westerdam is going to be my 3rd and 4th cruise...I have yet to experience any of this "nonsense" you experienced cruisers are commenting on...I say bring it on!!! I want to experience it all!!

Just remember...there are people out there who can only dream of a cruise...

You do have a point. I mean I am going on a ten day cruise, so I could just bite the bullet for one evening to check it out and laugh at it...

You do have a point. I mean I am going on a ten day cruise, so I could just bite the bullet for one evening to check it out and laugh at it...

I just think that whatever it is that irks everyone about the dinner....the staff are going through the motions for the paying customer, however ridiculous it may seem. I can't wait to take everything in!

Thanks for the video, Greg - It looks perfectly idiotic.

I'm thankful that we successfully booked Pinnacle that evening...

...if I were confronted with that BS, I'd be inclined to walk out.

I give up. :o Where is the video ? I looked all over the Rev's site and couldn't find it.

There's not a link to it on my site, though my site hosts it.

The link to it can be found in post #4 on this thread (page 1).

Or ... just click here. This link will download an .m4v file that will play in quicktime or one of several other .mpeg video players.

Archived