What is the Master Chef’s dinner?

kwpatel

Ok I am out of the loop here... What is this dinner? I have read plenty of negative comments about this dinner, but I can't really figure out what this dinner is supposed to be. Should I make reservations for the grill on that evening. Or am I totally off base and the Chef's dinner shouldn't be missed...

:cool:

As is so much else this is subjective. The dinner is served by dancing waiters. There is a parade of sorts for the salad and tossing is done in a sort of dance around the tables. Most feel the staff does not like it and that it is demeaning to them.

There is a special menu that doesn't allow much choice and everyone is given a paper chefs toque to wear if they so choose.

There is just one dessert and it is a chocolate mousse served in a toque shaped white chocolate dish.

I went twice. I don't intend to go again. Others think it is grand. Check it out and form your own opinion. Have a great time wherever you decide to eat.

Not meaning to be rude here, but there is a thread on which you will find COMPLETE details and lots of positives and negatives regarding this dinner.

My feeling is that the servers have ENOUGH work to do without all the dancing, etc. Also, the greatest percentage of the diners can't even see the performers.

No need for ME to go on and on here. Think you would really appreciate finding that thread; if I can find it, I'll send it on.;)

The Master Chef's Dinner is ... a disaster.

Here's a video clip of the "Song and dance" routine that went on aboard the Zaandam in 2006. <groan> I felt very sorry for the cruise staff and waiters who had to do this "act."

Master Chef Song And Dance Routine - QUICKTIME

Click on this link and it will download an .m4v file that will play in Quicktime.

As you can see, the crew does a song-and dance number (rather than getting you your meal) and then you eat from a limited, fixed, and not very good menu. You also have goofy "chef's" hats to wear ... like this:

masterchef1.jpg

Another picture:

masterchef2.jpg

If you really want to avoid the embarrassment, book the Pinnacle for that evening.

Not meaning to be rude here, but there is a thread on which you will find COMPLETE details and lots of positives and negatives regarding this dinner.

My feeling is that the servers have ENOUGH work to do without all the dancing, etc. Also, the greatest percentage of the diners can't even see the performers.

No need for ME to go on and on here. Think you would really appreciate finding that thread; if I can find it, I'll send it on.;)

Thanks but in my search I have only found the negatives... if you have another thread please pass it along...

Thanks but in my search I have only found the negatives... if you have another thread please pass it along...

Don't feel bad about asking the question afresh. It doesn't hurt any of us to address it anew, and besides ... some people may not have had a chance to voice their own experiences of it.

Here's a video clip of the "Song and dance" routine that went on aboard the Zaandam in 2006. <groan> I felt very sorry for the cruise staff and waiters who had to do this "act."

Click on this link and it will download an .m4v file that will play in Quicktime.

As you can see, the crew does a song-and dance number (rather than getting you your meal) and then you eat from a limited, fixed, and not very good menu. You also have goofy "chef's" hats to wear ... like this:

masterchef1.jpg

Another picture:

masterchef2.jpg

If you really want to avoid the embarrassment, book the Pinnacle for that evening.

oh no!!! Does the Master Chef Song and Dance happen on every HA ship?

masterchef1.jpg

Another picture:

masterchef2.jpg

Ok I get it now... This is crap that CCL does. I will make other plans that night. Thanks for links

oh no!!! Does the Master Chef Song and Dance happen on every HA ship?

Well, yes and no.

On the Ryndam in March 2007 they didn't do it. Oh, they had the "dinner" and the menu and it was called the "Master Chef Dinner" and the stewards dressed a little differently than normal, but otherwise there wasn't the song-and-dance and they didn't pass out the chef's hats.

I think it is conducted differently on different ships. And, my guess is that, with the introduction of AYWD, the Master Chef Dinner will go out the window.

kwpatel, since you'll be on the Ryndam the chances are you'll not have to put up with it. We didn't in March.

Ok I am out of the loop here... What is this dinner? I have read plenty of negative comments about this dinner, but I can't really figure out what this dinner is supposed to be. Should I make reservations for the grill on that evening. Or am I totally off base and the Chef's dinner shouldn't be missed...

:cool:

IMO this is a GOOD night to eat elswhere!!! We were not impressed and will avoid it like the plague from now on.;)

Having said that, the eating experience is very subjective and to some this would be a wonderful treat. :eek:

As I read and think about this issue, I'm wondering if the powers that be have ead / heard people's thoughts regarding this dinner production.........

Perhaps it's time for all who believe it's NOT what THEY think it is for US, to let them know how we feel.

It's FAR too much work / expectation to put onto people hired to deliver dinner to us and make us happy with the experience of dining in the D.R.

It's impossible for those servers to keep us happy when they have NO time because they are "dancing" and "singing" and fetching our limited choices.

They also spend a LOT on those stupid hats that won't stay on and are relegated to the floor by 90% of the diners in the first five minutes.......we noticed huge boxes and boxes and more boxes of them onloading in Vancouver last year on our way to AK and wondered WHAT was the reason. We found out on this "magic" night!

Let the EXCELLENT HAL STAFF do what they do BEST...........what they were hired to do.;)

As is so much else this is subjective. The dinner is served by dancing waiters. There is a parade of sorts for the salad and tossing is done in a sort of dance around the tables. Most feel the staff does not like it and that it is demeaning to them.

There is a special menu that doesn't allow much choice and everyone is given a paper chefs toque to wear if they so choose.

There is just one dessert and it is a chocolate mousse served in a toque shaped white chocolate dish.

I went twice. I don't intend to go again. Others think it is grand. Check it out and form your own opinion. Have a great time wherever you decide to eat.

I have never seen this on a HAL ship. I thin it might have been the night we went to the barbecue on our last cruise.

Ok I get it now... This is crap that CCL does. I will make other plans that night. Thanks for links

I have never seen this on HAL. My DH would leave as he has to wear his chef hat all day at work and would not want to when on vacation.

Don't feel bad about asking the question afresh. It doesn't hurt any of us to address it anew, and besides ... some people may not have had a chance to voice their own experiences of it.

Thanks so much for your understanding.

I love when people start off a post with "I don't mean to be rude"... :rolleyes:

We beat retreat to the Pinnacle instead of enduring the Master Chef's Fiasco, which was held on Ryndam during our Oct. 31 - Nov. 10 cruise. According to the DVD, they did the whole excruciating thing, at least in the Upper DR. I don't know WHY HAL continues with this silly and embarrassing program. It's just not up to their standards, and interferes with the excellent work of the dining room staff.

Mrs Muir

The Master Chef's dinner on the 10/31 Ryndam was by reservation. We were given cards to indicate if we would or would not attend and then a card was placed outside our cabin door that day. AYWD dining times for that night only were fixed - one early and one late. We enjoyed it and and enjoyed it on a previous cruise. I didn't notice much if any difference in the number of people in the dining room. Our tablemates and those nearby seemed mostly favorable to the dinner. Most of the servers seemed to enjoy it also.

The Master Chef's dinner on the 10/31 Ryndam was by reservation. We were given cards to indicate if we would or would not attend and then a card was placed outside our cabin door that day. AYWD dining times for that night only were fixed - one early and one late. We enjoyed it and and enjoyed it on a previous cruise. I didn't notice much if any difference in the number of people in the dining room. Our tablemates and those nearby seemed mostly favorable to the dinner. Most of the servers seemed to enjoy it also.

thank you for a different prespective;)

I have never seen this on a HAL ship. I thin it might have been the night we went to the barbecue on our last cruise.

They don't generally put the "Master Chef Dinner" on the evening of the BBQ; they usually schedule Dutch Night for the evening of the BBQ.

From what I'm hearing from others, and as I indicated above, not all ships have the Master Chef Dinner ... or, at least, not the "show." Again, we didn't have the "show" on the Ryndam in March, but they did have it on the Volendam this November (we went to the Pinnacle instead).

If you want to avoid it, check with your dining room staff and ask them which night it will be ... and get a confirmation from the Maitre D. Then, book the Pinnacle. It's the best way I've found to handle the problem.

Archived