Need a Seattle Hotel near Amtrak

SJCSuzy

Hi Everybody,

We're planning a cruise on the Coral Princess next July from Vancouver and are planning on flying to Seattle and taking the train up. Does anybody have a hotel recommendation? We're hoping to find something relatively close to the Amtrak station. I know the Best Western is closest but they seem to have a 2 night minimum during our time. Any other hotels you guys could recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Suzy

There really aren't any hotels that are close to the Amtrak station, and when you get there, you'll understand why. The station isn't far from the football stadium, and I think there's a nice hotel not that vary but it's very pricey. You may just want to stay downtown if you're going to sightsee, and take a taxi in the morning. Or go for a less expensive hotel if you are just spending the night.

I don't know about downtown, but we stayed out by the airport, and I think it took 25 minutes. You'll want to get there early because I've heard they stop loading luggage around 7:05. And then you stand in line for seat assignements. Ask for waterside if you get the chance. The view of Puget Sound is incredible.

I rode in the regular seats of Amtrak and they were excellent. I was there early and got my requested waterside seats. Didn't care about breakfast.

I stay in cheap hotels by the airport, you need to allow 45 minutes for a cab, less on weekends. I agree, you do not want a hotel by the train station. :) A cab ride from downtown would be 15-20 minutes depending where you are staying.

The new Silver Cloud Stadium is across the street from Safeco Field (so convenient to the ball game) and not too far from King St. Station. Silver Cloud also have free van services to various downtown/cruise destinations - not sure if King Street is included, but probably worth a phone call. http://scinns.com/16home.htm

If you don't care to sightsee 'downtown' Seattle then you will definintely find cheaper lodging near the airport. We like to spend some time at the pier and Pike Place Market the afternoon prior to Vancouver transfer.

We've stayed at the Moore Hotel, nothing fancy at ALL, but clean, and withing easy walking distance of the pier and market. Not sure about their air-conditioning... a consideration for July. We've also stayed at the Inn at the Market, which I loved! Our room had a 'balcony' view of the market and the sound... fabulous! But it is not a 'bargain hotel'. They offer tempur-pedic in each room, nice, but we found we wouldn't wish to own one.

I would also recommend you pay the Business Class fare. You get priority boarding, priority seating in the dining car, and the seats are better.

Business class isn't always available, and I agree that the regular seats were fine - much better than on a plane! And the dining car isn't anything to get excited about.

we stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square, which was about a 5 minute cab ride. we told the front desk the night before and they had cabs for us ready in the morning. There were several other parties also leaving for the train. Also look under the WEST COAST DEPARTURES forum for more info on the trains and hotels in Seattle.

Next summer we are staying at the Sheraton, as the Best Western had a 2 night minimum during our stay. Any place you stay downtown is not going to be a very long distance to the train station.

Dining car is nice for snacks, but not what I would consider 'fine dining'. If you can get business class, it isn't that much more expensive, and the extra room was nice to have.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Seattle Downtown. It was reasonably priced (late July we paid $188) and at an ideal location for the Needle, etc. It was a 10 minute cab ride or less to the train station.

http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelDetailReview.do?Service=TRAVELOCITY&propertyId=12782

The staff was very helpful. The rooms were nice.

Thanks for you suggestions everybody. We decided to book at the Quality Inn and Suites on Aurora Ave North. Anybody stay there and have any info? We're only going to be there the 1 night so were hoping it's a fairly decent place.

We decided to book the business class seats on the train since we get a AAA discount it wasn't much more than a few $$ over the regular fare.

Thanks again for your help!

Suzy

Thanks for you suggestions everybody. We decided to book at the Quality Inn and Suites on Aurora Ave North. Anybody stay there and have any info? We're only going to be there the 1 night so were hoping it's a fairly decent place.

We decided to book the business class seats on the train since we get a AAA discount it wasn't much more than a few $$ over the regular fare.

Thanks again for your help!

Suzy

Aurora Ave. is the Seattle equivalent of El Camino on the SF peninsula, except uglier. I'm sure the hotel is okay, but not my choice of location for one night in our fair city.

Last summer we spent several days in Seattle and stayed at the Silver Cloud-Broadway. They have about 4 hotels in the Seattle area. Rooms were very nice. They provided shuttle service to Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, the monorail and the Amtrak station if I remember correctly. The shuttle was very reliable and saved us from needing to rent a car. Hotel staff was very nice, a free computer lounge was available. The Silver Cloud also had a restaurant which served a very nice continental breakfast each morning. It was relatively reasonable as well ($149/nt.) as I remember. Hope this helps!

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your input. We probably should be ok as far as not being out late, we're traveling with my in-laws, my mom and my 10yo & 14yo. We'll probably be in fairly early since the train leaves pretty early in the morning.

Also, some in our group are fairly price sensitive and "don't see the need to spend a whole lot on a room to sleep in." What do you all think about the Sixth Ave Inn? I've come across a pretty decent rate there too.

Thanks again for all your help!

Suzy

Archived