Galapagos – WOW! What a trip!!! (Cabin 506)

Eliot

Hi, We think we did our homework for this trip to the Galapagos Islands and we are going with another couple which should be fun. But my friend is apprehensive because she has never been snorkeling and feels she is out of shape....although she is very active. We [The other 3}are all interested in doing the high intesity tours on most days. My question is....will she be able to keep up? If not, I will probably have to drop back to keep her company. Just how difficult is the High intensity? Thanks, "Mother Hen"

Mother Hen.....High intensity is not difficult at all as long as you can keep your balance walking at great length over small boulders and lava (depending on the island. One of the hikes had a lot of steps and one had fewer. You can always take your time with the steps (start off at the front and gradually take breaks and end up at the back!!) and the presentation each night lists the pros and cons of each tour. Some of the snorkeling trips are separate from the two excursions each day. My husband went off on these while I stayed on the ship. Other than that many days had optional snorkelling at the end of the excursions. You could snorkle, wade, sit on the beach or go back to the ship. I tried to snorkle and had little success but it was fun. The point is one person out of your group will not be 'left out'. My husband encouraged me a lot in the shallow water, then I took a zodiac back while he went out to the 'real' snorkelling. He played with sea lions, saw lots of turtles etc etc and was quite impressed. Our pictures were not too good with the disposable underwater camera.

Weinboca2: Many high speed internet cafes in Quito around 80 cents an hour and 8 cents a minute to call home. (The hotel was 20 cents a minute for Internet.)

We called home from one of the Gallapagos Islands and there were internet cafes, but someone told me the computers were sslllooowwwwww. Again I think around the same price. Someone else can confirm.

I just booked this trip for next Dec. 9 so I have time to think about footwear for the hiking. Would a good pair of sneakers work? Or is some kind of hiking boot necessary? I don't have any and with the weight limit hate to use up a good chunk of it on shoes I'll never wear again. What about a pair of sturdy walking sandals? Or is a closed toe called for?

Were there any wetsuits in size tiny? I'm quite petite, 5'2 and 115 pounds, and would probably swim in what they have. Were the wetsuits sized for women?

Thanks for the info. I'd also like to see the itineray/details for the Peru portion of your trip as I may combine the two countries. e-mail me please:

susiesan at planetkc.com

Susie in Kansas City

I'd say that closed toe is the way to go. I got a pair of closed toe "water socks". I was able to wear them on a hike one day. Remember, there could be rocks and such on the beach too. My husband wore Tevas and was fine too for wet landings, but changed to sneakers and socks. Some days you will be walking over rough lava and over small boulders. Think safety first. We didn't have hiking boots but wore New Balance sneakers. They were OK, and there were plenty of serious walking sticks to aid in balance. The naturalists were very good at helping us over some of the rough terrain. As for the 30 pound limit, that is from Quito to Baltra. You can leave luggage at the hotel to lighten your load. The guide told us that the airline wouldn't be too too fussy, just don't go crazy. It all averages out over 150 passengers on the plane.

Hi,

I wore regular New Balance tennis shoes. A little sturdier walking shoe probably would have been better for a couple of the hikes, but tennis shoes were fine for Machu Picchu etc. too. I took Tevas, but for all the wet landings I got off in bare feet, took a wash cloth from the ship, dried off my feet and either put on tennis shoes or Tevas. Tevas were fine for some of the days. The rocks and lava are slippery and awkward, so make sure closed toes for those days. I didn't use a stick as I balance better without and I had my camera at the ready!! However, they were readily available.

The weight limit wasn't a big problem as I only took shorts, pants, hat, minimum footwear, blouses/tops, sweater, lightweight jacket (never wore it) etc.. Everyone bought scads of hats and T shirts on board and on shore as well as in Quito and on our trip the ship's small shop had great prices and a surprisingly good selection. (I did, however, leave three bags of souvenirs and excess clothes at the hotel in Quito!! The shopping was terrific in Peru.)

G2

Susie, you don't need heavy-duty hiking boots, but I'd advise something more than tennis shoes. You want something with a sturdy sole for the rocky areas, and some tread so you don't slip. We saw a few people struggling on the rocks with less than adequate footwear. I wore lightweight hiking shoes which worked well. Also bring a pair of Teva-type water sandals. These work for the wet landings and the hikes around the beaches.

They did not have separate wetsuits sized for women, so the small may not be small enough. Maybe someone else can answer about how small the "small" is.

You'll have a wonderful time in any case!

Susie,

I gave my size small wetsuit to my husband so I don't think it will fit you! You may want to look into renting one at a local dive shop if you don't want to buy one. If you don't want to buy hiking boots look into a closed toe waterproof sandal made by Keen, they probably have a website. We have these shoes and are very happy with them.

If you are into snorkeling or scuba, Goldendaze have all the answers!

I got a CD/DVD player, Dara, which actually hooks up to our TV. We have had problems trying to do that with our 3 current players!! After just one CD (of 4) (the start of Peru) my in-laws were ready to go home on Christmas Day. I love my in-laws, but think of the possibilities of getting rid of those people you HAVE to entertain!! Four CDs and they would never return!!!!

Gillian,

What a profound observation of human behavior! We must pass this on to the naturalists on the ship. I will definately have to try this. Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR! I think I will toast with a peach margarita in honor of the Xpedition.

Cheers to all, Dara

Hello everyone,

Thanks for posting your experiences, I've learned so much !!!!

Just booked the December 11, 2005 sailing.

Just called Celebrity and they said starting Jan. 1, 2005, RCI is allowing Crown & Anchor members to use their "status" on Celebrity and Captains Club "status" on RCI. Call Celebrity Jan. 1, 2005 and give them your member number to update your cruise status. I'm getting a 10% discount on the Galapagos cruise because I'm a Diamond member on RCI as well as other benefits. This is pretty cool. I'm checking out the benefits of buying RCI's stock as well.

Almost time for me to start packing, Leaving Jan. 17, 2005 on Infinity.

Going from Valpariso to Buenos Aires.

Cheers,

Dan

That's a fabulous itinerary, but sure hope the food and presentation have improved on the Infinity since we sailed the same cruise in February!! We missed the Falklands as the Infinity had a mechanical probelm (with the thrust system or whatever) for at least the third time in its existence!! Hope you are spending extra time in B/A and Santiago. Wonderful cities!!

We did several ports 'on our own' ...check Port Reviews.com.

Susiesan

Buffetking

Wow we're doing the Dec 9th Saling '05 to Galapagos as well :) Just booked it last week .. we got the 10% off for being CC Elite members, nice perk there. You folks planning anything prior other than the Quito stay included? This is going to be such a cool trip and all year to be excited about it :)

Tina

"Vistadeck"

Hi - We just booked for the 12/04/05 sailing. Going to Quito 12/02/05. I have learned so much here. Thanks to all who have posted.

Anyone know what the * means that's next to some of the rooms on deck 3? We're probably going to be in room 304 and 4 or 5 rooms on that deck have a * next to them. Anyone stay in one of them?

Sandy, you are going to have a GREAT trip. If the weather etc are like when we were there it will be awesome. It is really a great deal pricewise too if you consider all that is included. Just approximate the cost of at least two shore excursions each day on a 'regular' cruise as well as air, park fee, hotel, sightseeing, meals, open bar etc etc and it is a great value for money.

Gillian

Thanks Gillian - YOU were so helpful in everything you posted. I was especially interested in your comments since you went the same time we're going to go. We have some other trips planned before this one, but we're really so psyched about this trip. The 11 months will fly by. Hoping to find others going with us, but no success yet even though about 20 cabins have already been booked.

I see you are on the same Xpedition as we are. I sent you an e-mail. If you didn't get it contact me direct: sueburke at kcairfilter.com Hope to hear from you. We can start an early roll call for this trip. You too, buffetking. Contact me and we can exchange info.

Susie

Greetings SandyR5. We are booked on the same cruise date as you. Signed up for the 11 day, two before and two after in Quito. We have been eyeing this trip since we first saw it offered last spring. Would have booked earlier except we had other travel plans in the works. Leaving on Mercury Feb 7, 2005 from San Diego.

Marta

Marta - SO glad to meet you. We've also been lurking on these boards and trying to learn as much as possible. We're doing the 10 day, 2 before and 1 after. And, just like you, we're cruising in February. We're on the Summit 11 day out of Miami. Looks like we have alot in common already. ;)

I started a thread on the roll call board a few days ago when I booked. No answers yet.

Reading this thread has gotten me interested in a Galapagos cruise. My husband was really talking this up and I was ignoring him - but oooooo.... this looks fascinating. We love to cruise and love "different" travel. Last year was helihiking in the Canadian Rockies. I do have a couple of questions.

We are a family of 4 with a daughter 16 and a son 13 - have any of you got first hand experience with teens on this trip? Would love to hear from you. The kids have done a lot of travelling - including the helihiking last year with Tauck - the group was 40 adults and my 2 teens - they had a spectacular time.

Second question is in regards to the time of year. With Kids in school we need to travel during breaks - and we were thinking about late August just before school starts again. Anyone with any summer trip experience? Again - would love to hear from you.

Thank you for all of the great discussion about this wonderful- sounding part of the world.

during the Aug 21st sailing! I would like to know if the the cabins on this deck have a full window or a porthole? The deckplan indicates a porthole, but my TA says it does have a full window. I would love to hear from someone who has actually stayed in one these cabins so I can determine if I need to upgrade.

Thanks!

Marcia

Hi Susiesan and Vistadeck !!!

We are in cabin 312 on Marina deck. Should be a great adventure.

We are planning no extra days, just what the cruise provides.

I'm getting the suitcases down tomorrow to start packing for my Infinity cruise around the Horn of South America leaving on Jan. 15.

I saw another thread on this board about GI illness some passengers seem to have had in the Galapagos. We always carry a bottle of Purell instant hand sanitizer and use it ALL the time, especially before eating and after touching anything. Seems to work.

Happy new year and talk to you soon,

Dan & Jeanie

Greetings SandyR5,

I haven't seen your thread but will check in there on the roll calls. I've been cruising that board for our Mercury Feb 7th trip updates, as I'm sure you've been with your Summit trip. Our cruise is also an 11 day, and we are really looking forward to vacating to the warm Mexican sun.

How do you know there are twenty cabins booked already for this sailing?

Wonderful to connect with a fellow shipmate so soon! Let's keep in touch.

Marta

Archived