Galapagos – WOW! What a trip!!! (Cabin 506)

Eliot

I have been able to snorkel with a lifevest. Does anyone know for sure whether or not the ship provides them? That is a rather bulky item to pack.
They most definitely provide life vests! Anytime you are on a zodiac boat you have a life vest on and you can keep it on while you swim/snorkel if you like. There are always crew to help you on and off with the lifevests - it's finely tuned machine

Have Fun!!

i am glad to hear I am not the only non-swimmer. That is good news about being able to snorkle with a life vest. I have taken some lessons and am able to float around, it is mostly getting over my fear of being surrounded by water. I think I will continue on with some lessons this winter. The instructor I had last time was very good - he was into snorkelling and scuba so he was able to emphasize what skills I would need to do that. Unfortunately I tore a rotater cuff and had to stop the lessons, but I think I will start them up again. It all sounds so much fun I definitely want to explore the water.

Tour Guides and Excursions:

Can somebody comment on the tour guides/naturalists? Such as the quality of the tours? The number of naturalists onboard? Whether there were particular naturalists they liked?

Also, once a particular excursion is over, is there personal time available to further explore the area or do you need to be chaperoned by a tour guide?

Much Thanks.

I was wondering how many underwater cameras to buy. On the excursions (high intensity) - how many times did anyone get the chance to snorkel or get in the water with animals? Can we leave small backpacks on the zodiac? Will they get wet? This is 4 months away but I like to prepare! Thanks!

Hi - We're definitely booking this trip, but my major remaining question is about getting to Quito. The flights I checked get into Quito at almost 11:00 p.m. You lose that entire day. Has anyone gone a day earlier and paid for the extra night so they can really have 2 days in Quito? Is anyone planning to do that? Do you need 2 days in Quito? Also, if you book your air to Quito yourself, what about the air from Quito to the ship..and back? If you arrive a day early at 11:00 p.m. so you really have the 2 days, are the meals covered by your Celebrity cruise cost? The good news, is that I'm sure someone will be able to answer me. :) :) :) Thanks so much. (I'm going to book it while I'm cruising Summit this February. I assume we'll get shipboard credit..although I'm not sure what we'll need the credit for since everything seems to be included!!)

Hi. If you book the 10 or 11-day package, your flight from Quito to the Galapagos is included. Transfers from the Quito airport to the hotel are also included. This is true even if your book your own flights to Quito. At least that's what they've told me (I have booked one of those flights getting in at 11 PM). Sorry, I can't answer the other questions - we'll need another expert for that. :-)

Hi Disneygal - Thanks for your answer. We're getting closer to having all answers now. :) We plan to book the 10 day stay, although I see that the flights back from Quito are 8:00 a.m. which means you won't get much sleep that night! Now...just need to find out about coming in a day early. I'm patient; I'm sure someone else can help. Again, thanks

Hey guys, stop worrying. On the 10 day trip, you arrive late Friday nite but on Saturday you are ready for the full day tour of Quito. Dinner is at the hotel (which by the way is beautiful). Sunday you are transported to the airport and then to the ship. On the following Saturday return, you are back in Quito for a trip to the market and a great dinner in Colonial Quito. Yep, we all meet at 4:30 AM for the trip to the airport and then home. The 10 days are just fine unless you really have something off the beaten path you wish to do. Maxine

So on the Saturday that the boat returns to quito, there is enough time to catch a tour to the market 2 hours away? I have already booked the market for the first saturday with another company and am forgoing the quito city tour because i thought there wouldnt be time for that. truthfully, if I can just squeeze the equator in when we return i will be just as happy. can someone tell me what time the boat returns on saturday so I can make those arrangements?

Thanks!

SandyR5:

We were on the Infinity in February and that was the case then. There was no incentive to book at all but then they had very little info too. Things may have changed. I later booked with Xpeditions by phone and they had no 'perks' to offer. I then gave my booking to a web agency and got a discount from them. I heard several times that "Xpeditions is different from Celebrity". Let me know if your experience is different! I would call Celebrity and find out ahead of time.

Good Luck,

Gillian :)

Thanks Gillian - I will call Celebrity to double check prices and incentives. Since last February Celebrity has changed it's policy, as I'm sure everyone now knows, and is not allowing agents to discount. I will check around though and see if anyone is offering any kind of incentive. If anyone knows...pass along your information...please. :)

Thanks Gillian - I will call Celebrity to double check prices and incentives. Since last February Celebrity has changed it's policy, as I'm sure everyone now knows, and is not allowing agents to discount. I will check around though and see if anyone is offering any kind of incentive. If anyone knows...pass along your information...please. :)

There are various incentives available from online agencies. The ones that I have seen include free trip insurance, MasterCard gift cards, points that can be redeemed for airline tickets, and commission rebates through an arrangement that makes you a travel agent. Celebrity has inspired great creativity among discount travel agencies.

Gang, you return on Sunday, and arrive at the hotel about 3PM. Trip to the market lasts about 11/2-2 hours. The all day tour around Quito on the first Saturday is well worth the time. I really don't think it is worth it to try to go it alone. As for underwater cameras, the Kodak or Fugi throw aways are fine, I think. Have a ball you all!!! Maxine

Two of the posters above seem to be referring to different markets. The famous Otavalo market is described as about a two-hour drive from Quito, and the most active day is Saturday. This cannot be the same as the short market visit on Sunday afternoon.

could someone tell me how many opportunities there were to go underwater on their cruise so I can figure out how many cameras to bring?

Is there an opportunity to book tours on the boat for when it returns to quito? I am going to the Otavalo Market on the saturday after we arrive (I work for a travel company and they are providing me with this service.)

The cruise returns on Sunday - 3 pm. is that enough time to go and see the equator monument?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks

I was told the airline from Quito to Baltra only allows a 30 lb suitcase per person. Are they strict about this? If they are, do they charge you extra for heavier bags or do they make you leave some of it behind? We're on the Dec. 12th cruise and are getting very excited.

Stonehill-PLEASE post a trip report on this board when you return. We're going to book 12/2005 and I'm curious to hear about the weather, water temperature and animals during that time. (I know it's a year away, but we're already booked on other trips for this year. :)

We too are looking at coming to the Galapagos from England next year in January- is this a good time? I was a bit concerned about the altitude question I am ashtmatic ( well under control) but am concerned about breathing - what is the altitude?

Thank you for such an informative review - like everyone else we have been trying to find out all about it and this is the first really comprehensive review we have seen. We are 50 somethings and like to be energetic and snorkel and explore but do like our luxury as well.

We may not be ableto afford a blacony cabin - what were the others like?

Prewelli

Hi Disneygal - Thanks for your answer. We're getting closer to having all answers now. :) We plan to book the 10 day stay, although I see that the flights back from Quito are 8:00 a.m. which means you won't get much sleep that night! Now...just need to find out about coming in a day early. I'm patient; I'm sure someone else can help. Again, thanks

Fly in to Miami the day before, that flight leaves at 7:30 and gives you a half day in Quito, the flight out to Miami leaves Quito in the evening which gives you another day.

Archived