Galapagos – WOW! What a trip!!! (Cabin 506)

Eliot

Meeting online ahead of the trip does increase anticipation, doesn't it? We are in our 50's (how can that be?), my husband is an avid runner, and we live in the Seattle suburbs. We are looking forward to the nice weather at the equator when the weather North of the 45th parallel will be less than desirable. This will be our first experience on such a small venue and you can see from the following list that cruising has become a bit of an addiction. Do any of you anticipate there will be time to read and, if so, perhaps we can exchange reading materials. Dottie and Chuck

Norwegian Somethingorother, 1991
Sun Princess, 2/98
Renaissance R6, 6/00
Radisson Diamond, 2/02
RCI Vision of the Seas, 3/03
Celebrity, Mercury, 11/03
Celebrity, Infinity, 8/04
Celebrity Xpedition, 12/04
Rotterdam VI, 11/05

ppard - We have been on several Windstar cruises and you will love the smaller ship. This boat seems like Windstar without sails. I bet we'll all be too wiped out to read but I know I will have some books for the flights....

We are from New Jersey, not as long a trip as for you guys but long enough. We have been to many countries but never any in South America, I can't wait. It will be nice to "know" some people on the cruise.

Dara

It would be nice to virtually meet up with more December 5 cruisers!

To goldendaze: We have cruised the Panama Canal with a stop in Cartagena and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the city. It is on our list of places to visit again. Have also visited numerous stops in Mexico and it is always on our return list. My husband has traveled Chile on business and has indicated a strong desire to return there, also.

I have a question for those who have already done the trip: I understand that the ship's attire is "casual" but does that hold true also for Quito? With air travel involved, I don't want to overpack.

[quote name='sheeng']Good question ppard. We leave next week and I haven't thought yet about attire in Quito especially in resaurants in the evening.[/QUOTE]Hi Sheeng, Have a great trip:D . If you think about it/have a chance/don't mind - Could you ask Jason (Head Naturalist our week) if they have an email address we could send them a couple pictures. We got great ones of Jason, Jamie, and Julian and as well as of some of the Zodiac boat drives, and Christian (Wine Guy) and our waiter (yikes his name escapes me). The Naturalists probabaly get good pictures all the time but the waiters and zodiac boat drivers might not and might like them.

Have a fabulouse time!
Jodie

Hi Jodie, Yes, I'll be happy to ask. I have made a note and placed it with the important papers. Thank you very, very much for all your terrific postings!

spengle - I'm just curious - are you a Maytown Engle? We went to a reunion there a couple of months ago with over 500 Engle relatives! I am also named Sheila.

Hey Eliot, I have Jason's email addy, but I didn't want to post it here and your settings dont allow me to email you, but if you send me an email at [email="unreferencedvariable@yahoo.com"]unreferencedvariable@yahoo.com[/email] I will send it to you.

P.S. are you thinking of John the waiter? He was my favorite waiter on the cruise.

[quote name='Tornach']Hey Eliot, I have Jason's email addy, but I didn't want to post it here and your settings dont allow me to email you, but if you send me an email at [email="unreferencedvariable@yahoo.com"]unreferencedvariable@yahoo.com[/email] I will send it to you. [/QUOTE]Thanks - I will! We have some good ones so far of you and your family that we'll send. I have most of mine back and we're still getting Eliot's recovered from the disk that went bad - the camera folks say that managed to save everything but we haven't seen them yet.

[QUOTE] P.S. are you thinking of John the waiter? He was my favorite waiter on the cruise.[/QUOTE]Yes!! How could I forget John! I've also forgotten how to edit my posts here to just change it - oh well....

Cheers,
Jodie

We are booked on the 11/7 Xpedition to Galapagos. Last night I found a Galapagos info web site that recommended travelers get Hepatitis A & B vaccines prior to traveling to the area.

Has anyone else gotten these vaccines or know how long in advance you need to have them done?

When should we expect to receive our cruise documents from Celebrity for the 11/7 sailing?

Great review! We are really looking forward to this vacation after reading all the wonderful comments & reviews. Keep them coming. It gives the rest of us something to look forward to!

Ingrid

[quote name='ingrid295']We are booked on the 11/7 Xpedition to Galapagos. Last night I found a Galapagos info web site that recommended travelers get Hepatitis A & B vaccines prior to traveling to the area.

Has anyone else gotten these vaccines or know how long in advance you need to have them done? [/QUOTE]Congrats on the trip!! :D When we checked the CDC they didn't recommend any special shots, pills, or vaccines so we didn't do anything. We drank the water without problem onboard but they did tell us not to drink the water in the J.W. Marriott. It felt really strange being in a luxurious, beautiful hotel and using only bottled water!

Enjoy your trip

[quote name='ingrid295']We are booked on the 11/7 Xpedition to Galapagos. Last night I found a Galapagos info web site that recommended travelers get Hepatitis A & B vaccines prior to traveling to the area.

Has anyone else gotten these vaccines or know how long in advance you need to have them done?

Ingrid[/QUOTE]

My father and I are booked on the 11/19 cruise tour, and I contacted my local travel clinic. They recommended Hep A&B too (which were current for us from previous travel we did), and in addition had our typhoid and tetanus vaccinations updated. We were told we would not need the Yellow Fever vaccination since we would not be traveling in areas where we would be exposed to it. Keep in mind that the Hep shots keep you safe here at home too.

I don't believe you need to get the shots within a certain time frame before leaving. I set up the appointment based on my schedule and when I could get to the clinic.

We are booked for a February 11-21 sailing. This has been a lifetime dream of mine to go and these posts are most helpful!

Does anyone know if Celebrity can book the market on Saturday or do I have to do that privately (or through the Marriott)? We would prefer to do that then take the Quito city tour.

The hepatitis shots...do they have side effects?

Also, I get awfully seasick. I hear the patch has side effects once it is taken off. Has anyone experienced this?

Any help would be most welcomed!
Thanks

was in a "new cabin" - 320 - wasn't even on the deck plan. They just threw in on. Was afraid of getting sick so paid extra for a cabin toward the middle. Now in 305.

Seems shots dont have bad side effects. Can't hurt.

Again, does anyone know if the Marriott does side trips to Otavalo market? would rather do that on the saturday before cruise than take a city tour.

thanks for the advice!

Second time cruiser. First time was a weather/seasick disaster.

Hi from the Diamond Princess!! ppard and goldendaze, we will be on the Dec. 5th. Saw you were too but didn't see any others.
As we will have been traveling for 10 days prior, I was wondering, Eliot, if they had dry cleaning/laundry available at the Marriott and if there was enough time to take care of that? I assume that isn't available on the ship!
Gilian2 :)

[quote name='

Again, does anyone know if the Marriott does side trips to Otavalo market? would rather do that on the saturday before cruise than take a city tour.[/QUOTE']

We had a few people on our trip that went to the market instead of the city tour and they planned it on their own. If you want to call though, its the JW Marriot in Quito. Good luck!

[quote name='Gillian2'] I was wondering, Eliot, if they had dry cleaning/laundry available at the Marriott and if there was enough time to take care of that? I assume that isn't available on the ship!
Gilian2 :)[/QUOTE]Actually, I may be wrong here but I think that at least laundry is available on the ship. I just checked and the bag (from the ship) that I packed by dirty shoes in is a laundry bag - so there must be laundry :) . We had a full day at the Marriott so they might be able to get laundry done for you. Enjoy your trip!

[quote name='TheReadBaron']

Again, does anyone know if the Marriott does side trips to Otavalo market? would rather do that on the saturday before cruise than take a city tour.

[/QUOTE]
I don't think that the Marriott does one family arrived a couple of days early and arranged a private trip on their own to Otavalo prior to beginning the Celebrity trip. For what it's worth we really enjoyed the city tour but if you've been there before then of course you may want to go to Otavalo.

[quote name='TheReadBaron']
Also, I get awfully seasick. I hear the patch has side effects once it is taken off. Has anyone experienced this?

[/QUOTE]
I used the patch for the first time on this trip and no problem during or after the trip.

OK we are thinking about doing this trip, but I have a few timing questions. We have a 5 year old who we will be leaving at home. In order to plan for the trip could someone help clarify the following?

1.) If the ship leaves on Sunday, when do you have to arrive?
-If doing the 10 day trip do you leave home on Friday AM?

2.) How long does it take to get (fly) to Quito? We are from Indianapolis so
just let us know where you started and we can guess our time from that!

3.) What airlines were used to get to Quito? Where were layovers if any?

4.) If we did the 10 day but wanted to fly home Sunday (instead of Monday)
would the hotel help us get to the airport? We do not speak Spanish so
would want some help getting the cab right!

5.) How many hours off of Eastern time is Quito and the G. Islands?

Thanks so much for help! We really want to go, but we may have to trim a day before or after the 10 day package to make it work.

I don't know how to post this as a URL but if you just type it in you can set it for your time and Quito and Galapagos. It's a really useful site if you are following a family member who is traveling.

[url]http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/personal.html[/url]

Archived