Galapagos – WOW! What a trip!!! (Cabin 506)

Eliot

[quote name='JUST ADD WATER']1.) If the ship leaves on Sunday, when do you have to arrive?
-If doing the 10 day trip do you leave home on Friday AM?

2.) How long does it take to get (fly) to Quito? We are from Indianapolis so
just let us know where you started and we can guess our time from that!

3.) What airlines were used to get to Quito? Where were layovers if any?

4.) If we did the 10 day but wanted to fly home Sunday (instead of Monday)
would the hotel help us get to the airport? We do not speak Spanish so
would want some help getting the cab right!

5.) How many hours off of Eastern time is Quito and the G. Islands?
QUOTE]

Let me preface my remarks by saying (i) I haven't been on the trip yet, and (ii) I haven't received my documents yet. However, after booking the November 19 cruise tour, this is my understanding of how the trip "works" in response to your questions. You may want to clarify things personally with your TA or with Celebrity.

1. My agent wasn't sure if it was an overnight flight out on Thursday night or a flight out on Friday (I'll be leaving out of Detroit). We're waiting for the flight information from Celebrity, which we should have 30 days prior to the trip. Keep in mind that you will be flying into Quito, and then flying from Quito (the mainland) out to the Galapagos Islands to pick up the ship. There are a limited number of flights from the mainland to the islands.

2. It is my understanding that we will probably be connecting through either Miami or Houston, and from there to Quito is approximately a 4 hour flight.

3. Check Silver03's review for the name of the airline he flew on. If I remember correctly, he had a good experience with it.

4. Again, because of the limited number of flights between the mainland and the islands, it is necessary to overnight in Quito after returning from the islands in order to connect with flights back to the US.

5. I saw a website that talked about what time zones Quito and the islands are in, and if I remember correctly there is a one hour difference so that Quito would be same as Detroit time and Galapagos Islands same as Chicago time.

I certainly welcome the people who have already been on the trip to let me know if my understanding is correct or not.

We are from Chicago and from what i remember:

1.) If the ship leaves on Sunday, when do you have to arrive?
-If doing the 10 day trip do you leave home on Friday AM?
[COLOR=Navy]We did the 10 day trip and we left early on Friday morning. If you dont do the 10 day trip, I would assume you would have to fly in on Saturday because the flight to the islands leaves early Sunday morning. I felt that it was good to have that extra day as a cushion. I'm glad we did because our original flight was cancelled and then our luggage was lost. We didnt get it until a few hours before we left Quito! Thats a whole other story though :o [/COLOR]

2.) How long does it take to get (fly) to Quito?
[COLOR=Navy]It took about 3.5 hours to get to miami, a couple hours at the airport, and then about 4 hours from Miami to Quito[/COLOR]

3.) What airlines were used to get to Quito? Where were layovers if any?
[COLOR=Navy]As far as I know, American and continental fly to Quito. I dont know of any direct flights. [/COLOR]

4.) If we did the 10 day but wanted to fly home Sunday (instead of Monday)
would the hotel help us get to the airport? We do not speak Spanish so
would want some help getting the cab right!
[COLOR=Navy] I don't know if you would be able to get a flight out on Sunday because all flights out of Quito depart very early in the morning and you wont get back from the islands until 2pm or so that day.[/COLOR]

5.) How many hours off of Eastern time is Quito and the G. Islands?
[COLOR=Navy] I believe Quito is eastern time. The islands are one hour behind (central) but the ship goes on mainland (eastern) time.[/COLOR]

I hope this helps!

Oh, for the previous poster asking about what to wear under your shorty, just a swimsuit will be good.

We're not going until April, but I just booked air because we are using frequent flyer miles and wanted ensure availability of seats. From Minneapolis, our choices were American through Miami with long layovers or Northwest/Continental through Houston with short layovers. I chose Northwest even though the Continental flight arrives in Quito late at night and it cost more mileage. We leave early Friday afternoon. Continental through Newark was also a possibility but meant far too many hours on planes.

Return flights on both American and Continental leave Quito in the morning so you cannot make connections from the Galapagos to the Midwest in one day. If you want to shorten the trip by one day, you will need to do it at the beginning. Make sure that you allow ample time for connections because will have a major problem if you miss the flight to Quito and don't arrive until the next day.

Flights to Quito take about four hours from Miami and five hours from Houston. Published fares on American were the same as buying air through Celebrity. Published fares on Continental were higher.

I really appreciate all of your help! We are going to check out the pricing in January when we are on Century. Looking at doing late June cruise if we can work out the timing. Any pointers on how to get Grandparents to agree to a 11 day trip would be helpful :D ! We have done 9 days, but 11 may exceed the limit....LOL!

Thanks again!
Rene

You can also just book the cruise for 7 nights - but then things arent included like transfers to the hotel from the airport, etc. I think you also have to get tot the boat in Baltra by yourself too. But it would shorten the trip.

LAN Chile also has flights to Quito that are more reasonably priced than continental and american without long delays in between. of course, I am leaving from NY which has more direct flights.

Just returned and another RAVE review. Trip fabulous. Islands and Quito are on Central time-one hour earlier than NY time. There is a trip to the market done on the return (Sunday afternoon) that was lots of fun. It is a market in a park near to the Marriott (bus transportation provided by Celebrity) Trunks work fine under wet suits. I bought a one piece and then found my other suits worked just as well (female, of course). Celebrity has outdone itself on this one (and we have traveled Radisson and Silverseas). Hope this helps.

Starsjohn: There were no scuba trips scheduled but they are promising to look into it if there is more interest. The snorkeling was fun-lots of turtles, sea lions etc. No coral. There have been lots of reports on this thread so I have little more to add except to say I would be happy to answer any specific ?s. We flew from Newark on Continental, had a suite with balcony- both choices great for us. Can't say enough about the staff, Each morning there were 3 choices - "high intensity", "medium intensity", and "low intensity" excursions. It was the luck of the draw as to how much you saw. Low intensity usually was a zodiac ride with a beach landing. Afternoon, 3 new adventures. LOved every minute of it. Keep the questions coming! Maxine

For the most challenging hikes, would I be ok with cross-trainers like NIKE or REEBOK or should I have ankle high hiking boots? I'm used to both, but on very rugged downward slopes in mountains, I use hiking boots rather than shoes.

Hope you can remember what people used.

Thanks for volunteering to answer questions. Now that I can see October on the calendar, I'm getting butterflies!

Don't worry about trips filling up. All go no matter how many or even how few choose each. If only 2 want to go on an excursion, you will be taken. The zodiacs take 14 passengers. It is relatively easy to get on (from the Xpedition). Always 2 personnel to assist. Wet landings are easy. Loading from the beach (if wet) sometimes means scrambling over the side with aid of a step hung over the zodiac or one time a boost up on the knee of naturalist. You don't need hiking boots but shoes with GOOD TREAD for some of the walks is really desirable. Most "high intensity" involve hikes of from 1 to 3 miles. The "worst" was a climb up a steep hill (360 steps) for a view. Didn't do that one and some who did felt it wasn't worth it. Everything else seemed to be worth the effort. The medium usually involved a shorter hike or zodiac ride plus short hike or swim, and the least was a zodiac only or a beach landing for swimming but no real hike. No bugs on our trip except some occasional flies. Bring some bug repellent. Anything else you lucky people who are looking forward to this trip?

Did you experience any in Quito at all? Did the boat rock very much at night? My biggest fear is feeling ill.

Did they have lots of choices at meals? I am a vegetarian and I am hoping they can accommodate me (or I will just bring a bunch of power bars...)

We did not experience any altitude sickness nor did we hear of any such complaints. Boat's gentle rocking didn't present a problem. (Several people had patches and they were fine.) I think you can manage as a vegetarian. Always pasta and salads at lunch and a veggie dinner entre. Forgot to mention re: the shore excursions-some high intensity involved snorkeling off the zodiacs for experienced snorkelers. Maxine

We're booked on the 1/2/05 departure... in the cabin next to yours. This includes New Years in Quito.

Can guys get away with "cargo" shorts in the evening, or are long pants required?

I thought I read somewhere that they have binoculars in the cabins??

Thanks..

I think you can get away with cargo shorts at night on the boat since everything is very casual. In Quito, I think you would be more comfortable in slacks. Everybody is very relaxed but in our last night in Quito we were taken to a lovely restaurant and everybody wore comfortable slacks. #2(?) Yes, they do have binoculars in our cabins (rooms with balconies). They are just there for the trip. We brought our own and were happier with them (our own, that is). The trip is really wonderful and you are in for a great treat. Maxine

Taking a group on the Dec. 12th cruise, arriving in Quito on the 10th. Will personally be staying in 509. The info on this board is sensational!! Thanks. Wondering about transfers from the airport to the Marriott...is there someone from Xpedition to meet and greet at the airport?

[font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for all the useful information on the Galapagos cruise. We will be on the 12/5/04 cruise. Looking forward to meeting all of you who will be on the same trip. Can't wait for this wonderful experience. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Tom & Claudia [/font]

Yep, there is someone to meet you at the airport if you are coming in before 11PM. Otherwise, call the Marriott and they will come for you. From the time you arrive in Quito you will be "cared for". We were really impressed by the treatment from Celebrity. They were super. Maxine

[quote name='StonehillTravel']Taking a group on the Dec. 12th cruise, arriving in Quito on the 10th. Will personally be staying in 509. The info on this board is sensational!! Thanks. Wondering about transfers from the airport to the Marriott...is there someone from Xpedition to meet and greet at the airport?[/QUOTE]

We just put our final payment in a couple of weeks ago for the same dates. We are in #307. We are really looking forward to the experience! See you there!

We just returned this week. Wow!!! We flew into Quito early so Celebrity transportation was not available to us. There is a hotel/transportation booth located right as you exit the customs area. They phoned the Marriott to verify we had reservations there and then walked us out to a cab and handed the driver a voucher. We were checking into the hotel just 30 minutes after touchdown!!!

Archived