Galapagos – WOW! What a trip!!! (Cabin 506)

Eliot

Greetings Dottie and Chuck,

We are also considering booking this unbelievable cruise opportunity. Would love to hear how your trip turns out. We are on the fence re: a Wind Star cruise next spring to Belize & Costa Rica, or maybe forego that and book the Galopogas instead. Have done 15 cruises all on larger cruise ships and think this would be a once in a lifetime venue.

We live in Issaquah and would like to make contact with others who love the cruise experience as much as we do. We are 59 and 51, like to snorkel, all vacations are at or on saltwater where it is warm enough to enjoy.

Marta and Doug
[email]mjarens@comcast.net[/email]

We have also done lots of cruises including 2 Belize cruises with Windstar. Since we are also snorkelers and love the warm water I think I can tell you that the only problem with the Galapagos trip is the temperature of the water. When we were there (this last Sept.) it was about 66-70 degrees. However the wet suits provided were terrific. This trip is very different from anything you have ever done. Having been to the great barrier reef, I can also say the snorkeling is very different here...no coral but fish and animals (turtles, sea lions, etc. instead.) This one is a real "adventure" type trip-think "camp" instead of luxury cruise. Happy to answer any questions and be more specific. Maxine.

You all have answered so many questions I had, but I do have one more.
When you do a water landing you wear your water shoes. Should we bring a backpack or something for our tennis shoes for hiking and drinking water, etc? Of course, with no facilities maybe water is not a good idea.

Water landings mean you wear water sandles, reef shoes or what ever is comfortable to get your feet wet. You need something to carry cameras and yes, water, which is always available before the trips. I know they suggest back packs but we found fanny packs to be quite adequate. The snorkel equipment with wet suits are provided in great bags so sometimes you may be carrying them. If that is the case you usually leave the snorkel stuff on the beach til you return from the hike. Maxine

I just read on another board that the itinerary splits up to let people off after 3 days so you visit Puerto Ayora 2 times. Is this true? Do you spend lots of time on the boat during this time? Did anyone feel jipped or do you feel you saw everything the islands had to offer?

My husband and I are considering this cruise, I have always wanted to see the Galapagos. I am wondering if there is a prime time of year to visit to see more wildlife? I have looked through information at the bookstore on the Galapagos and can't really find anything. We are planning a cruise to celebrate my 50th bd next summer and I think this is the one I want. From all the postings on the board and what I read about it on my last crusie to Alaska it sounds wonderful.

[quote name='TheReadBaron']I just read on another board that the itinerary splits up to let people off after 3 days so you visit Puerto Ayora 2 times. Is this true? Do you spend lots of time on the boat during this time? Did anyone feel jipped or do you feel you saw everything the islands had to offer?[/QUOTE]
Nope - everybody's on for whole time - do 3 or 4 day trips. Others correct me if my memory is wrong but we do go to the Island (Puerto Ayora?) twice but that's a good thing b/c the first time you can go to the Darwin Research Center and the second time you can go to the Highlands to see the giant tortoises.

[quote name='BBQ Jeanette']My husband and I are considering this cruise, I have always wanted to see the Galapagos. I am wondering if there is a prime time of year to visit to see more wildlife? I have looked through information at the bookstore on the Galapagos and can't really find anything. We are planning a cruise to celebrate my 50th bd next summer and I think this is the one I want. From all the postings on the board and what I read about it on my last crusie to Alaska it sounds wonderful.[/QUOTE]
It is a wonderful trip!

You will see different things depending on time of year - I don't think that there seems to be a bad time. Water is warmer in January than when we were there is August.

[quote name='BBQ Jeanette'] I am wondering if there is a prime time of year to visit to see more wildlife? I have looked through information at the bookstore on the Galapagos and can't really find anything. [/QUOTE]

I found a website that lists what you can expect to see depending on what month you visit the islands. Guess it all depends on what interests you the most when you would choose to go. The site is: [url]www.galapagosadventures.com[/url]

Maxine,

We realize this is a very different cruise than the Wind Star. My husband has read the book Origin of the Species by Charles Darwin 4 or 5 times. He takes it with us on every vacation we go on and rereads at least part of it. When Celebrity introduced the Xpedition cruise it was easy to sell DH on it! I love any "easy sell"!

I have always wanted to go on Wind Star too. But time and expenses will only allow two cruises this year. We are already booked for Feb 7-18 2005 on Mercury for the Mexican Riviera. So we must choose either the Wind Star Belize or Xpedition Galapagos trip - can't have both. I am leaning towards Galapagos just because it is so unusual, my husband will love it, and we may never get the opportunity to see this paradise another time, I mean, who knows what will be down the road of life.

We do love to snorkel - spent two, two week vacations in Maui and Kauai last year snorkeling all we wanted. Back to cruising this year. We do love to cruise. Our last was Infinity 14 day Panama Canal in March 03. Loved every day of it.

Reading these boards keeps it all in my blood. Just have to zero in on our next decision. For now only four months until our Mexican Riviera on Mercury.

Thanks,
Marta

Just wondering were there any on board?

I am thinking of doing this trip in 2006 with children who will then be 8,11, and 13. They are well behaved and homeschooled so they don't need a "children's program" to keep them occupied. Just wondering opinions of people who have been on this trip.

Marta,

We have done 5 Wind Star cruises and have loved every one of them. Did a Cancun to Cancun which stopped in Belize and Honduras where we did some good scuba diving. That said we are going on the 12/5 sailing to the Galapagos on the Xpedition. We also considered thw new Wind Star Belize itinerary but opted for Galapagos cause this is such a unique opportunity and a place that only a fortunate few will ever get to see. We will probably do another (or several) Wind star cruise as we really like the ships, but it will have to wait.

Dara

I know you said the ship wasn't full, but maybe some of the others that have been can answer also. I wondered since most of the yachts sailing the Galapagos carry only 16-20 people. Did you ever feel crowded on your excursions with so many people? If I'm trying to get pictures with the sea lions I think it would be much easier with only 10 other people around than with 30-40. That is the ONLY thing holding me back from bookling the Expedition than another yacht. I love all the extras that Celebrity offers!
Thanks!
Jana

[quote name='JermKy']I know you said the ship wasn't full, but maybe some of the others that have been can answer also. I wondered since most of the yachts sailing the Galapagos carry only 16-20 people. Did you ever feel crowded on your excursions with so many people? If I'm trying to get pictures with the sea lions I think it would be much easier with only 10 other people around than with 30-40. That is the ONLY thing holding me back from bookling the Expedition than another yacht. I love all the extras that Celebrity offers!
[/QUOTE]Hi Jana, Don't let that hold you back. The National Park strictly controls the Islands and they only allow groups of 12-14 with a guide. So although there may be 50 or people on board, on excurisons you are with 14 or fewer on the island. The animals have absolutely no fear so they don't move when people are around. There is no land advantage to a smaller ship. Additionally, our ship go faster then the smaller ships so we probably saw more is less time

Hope this helps!

Thanks! So, even if there were 45-50 that wanted to do say the high intensity excursion you went in groups of 15? So did you just got at different times or take a different direction? How did you stay seperated in the small groups?
Thanks for the information!
Jana

Each zodiac only takes 14 at the most so each goes with a naturalist. If there are more than one or 2 boats we take different paths. You never feel crowded and as noted above you feel like you are really alone with the animals. Really can't think of a thing to change with the way Celebrity handled this cruise. Another plus is after the 10 days we all really felt like a "family". Maxine

Thanks! I think you've convinced me to go with Celebrity. I like the stability and all the comforts that come with the bigger ship, but was worried about the crowds. But sounds like that won't be a problem! I get so excited thinking about this trip! This has been a wonderful thread with a wealth of information. Thanks to all of you for your input!
Jana

Those of you who have gone on the trip will know what I'm referring to. We left post cards at Post Office Bay (1 for us and 1 for a friend) and within a month both were delivered the "Whaler's Way" - with a stamp not in person but that's still fun - Very Fun!! The trip continues....

Did others of you get your postcards back?

(We took 2 and delivered them - one with a stamp and one in person)

Cheers!

I found a website that lists what you can expect to see depending on what month you visit the islands. Guess it all depends on what interests you the most when you would choose to go. The site is: www.galapagosadventures.com

Eliot & Mahini - thank you for your comments. I appreciate it. I love the website that helps out a lot. August is when we were thinking of going since it is my birthday but we will review what is happening different months and see what is best. It all sounds great though, any time of the year. All of the comments from folks has really helped out.

My only big concern is my lack of swimming abilities. I think I will try swimming lessons again this winter. I want to be able to snorkel without freaking out cause my feet don't touch the bottom.

Thanks again!

Hi,

Please clarify as I checked out a web site, (this couple went in June I think right at the beginning), and they said very definitively that shorts were NOT allowed in the dining room on board the yacht. They were referring to dinner.

Thanks for your help.

Gillian

Hi,

Please clarify as I checked out a web site, (this couple went in June I think right at the beginning), and they said very definitively that shorts were NOT allowed in the dining room on board the yacht. They were referring to dinner.

Thanks for your help.

Gillian

I don't recall anyone coming to dinner in shorts but as, a person from Celebrity told our travel agent prior to our trip, the "fashion police" will not be on this cruise!

Nope, our whole name is Englebardt - I just use the Engle as a shortcut. Sorry. We're booked for the March 23rd 10 day trip...sailing on the 25th. If anyone on this board is booked for that date, please email me. To the rest of you...I'm already drooling. Please post trip reports when you return.

Sheila

My only big concern is my lack of swimming abilities. I think I will try swimming lessons again this winter. I want to be able to snorkel without freaking out cause my feet don't touch the bottom.

BBQ, swim lessons would probably be a great idea, just so you get comfortable in the water. You may also want to check with a local dive center to see if they have snorkel lessons. Another idea would be to take a bouyancy vest with you, or see if the ship can provide you with a life vest to use. That way you'll feel safer in the water.

Archived