POLL: Airfare thru RCI or Book Your Own

MakinGold

How do you arrange airfare?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How do you arrange airfare?

• Through RCI
    • On my own (or separately through TA)

Out of a dozen cruises only once did I use the cruise line's air option, mainly because we booked very last minute for Christmas and this way I was assured of getting a flight at a not horrendous price. Otherwise it's usually better if our TA does it separately.

When we first started cruising, we let the cruise line book it. After experience and research, we found we could save some big bucks booking our own air, plus we usually fly to our destination a day or two early. Let me tell you, that pays for itself! You start your cruise relaxed and refreshed!! :)

Personally I think your options are not enough for a poll... perhaps if you added a 3d like "I shop to see what is the best value" you would get better response and more realistic results.

OK. But as I explained in my opening post, I wanted to keep it simple. I wasn't looking for reasons or methodology, just which you end up using more often. But admittedly, if you find that it's about 50:50, then this poll doesn't have an appropriate response for you.

We always fly in the day before usually with Southwest having booked the internet special fares when they come out. A cramped coach seat is a cramped coach seat no matter what airline and they all hand out the same 1/2 can of soda with a small package of pretzels!

For us RCL is about twice the price of the same flights booked direclty with the airline! and then it is still possible to get better. We were quoted £780 (1580) each for airfare, we wil prob get it for about £300 each ($609)

This varies depending on the itinerary.

Out of Florida I usually do my own as it is much cheaper counting transfer.

In Europe the cost of transfers could be very high making it cheaper to go with the cruise lines.

No matter which way I go I always have to consider the cost of transfers is included with the cruise lines price while I have to add them

If I had booked my own air on our last cruise to Alaska (crappy cruise BTW) I could have saved around 400 bucks and probably been home on time rather that having to RON (remain overnight) in Denver getting us home a day late. While there was a direct flight from Sea-TAC to AUS, RCCL, in their infinite wisdom and penny pinching foresight, decided to route us on a one stop via Denver. The flight was late getting out of Seattle and about 120 PAX missed their connections. There were a LOT of empty seats on UA flights leaving Denver that day. Yes, I know I could have used the custom air fee stuff (at no cost BTW), but sometimes I'm an idiot.

Therefore, if we ever fly to a point of embarkation again...it will be direct flights, regardless of cost. My Dear Wife is an absolute BEAR if she's inconvienced. :p ;) :D :D :D :D

Usually we book our own air I find it less expensive & I choose the flights. The only cruise next year I am booking the air through X is because it is a TA. There is no way I can beat their price but God only knows how we will be routed.

what date are you cruising? We are checking out TA's, undecided about a X in Dec. or RCL in Nov. Both leave from Barcelona and 1 way is outageous. But am worried about routing also if we book with cruise line.

BTW we are also from L.I., New Hyde Park

For international flights, we always use RCI Custom Air because we can not beat the prices that RCI gets for the flights that we request. Plus, doing it this way, we know that we will be met at airport and transported to our hotel.

Do you have to book hotel thru RCI or can you book your own to get transfer to hotel with their air? And what about transfer to port?

Do you have to book hotel thru RCI or can you book your own to get transfer to hotel with their air? And what about transfer to port?

When cruising overseas, we usually just go with an RCI hotel so that we can get from airport to hotel to port. Sometimes it is not the most economical thing to do, but when arriving in a foreign country that is totally unfamiliar to us, we just feel a little more secure.

If you want to book your own hotel, then you have to do an air deviation to come in a day early. If you don't book their hotel, they assume you want to come in day of cruise.

Archived