Devastation on Grenada

LovesCruisin

I want to extend my thoughts and prayers to all those that were in the path of Hurricane Ivan. I too have emailed Mandoo and offered him my thoughts and prayers.

Lets just hope that the people on this gorgeous Island nation can overcome any of the obstacles that the hurricane brought to them.

Ivan - GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not... :( We were supposed to stop there in November on the Sun and we were going to do a tour with him. However, with the devastation in Grenada, it is doubtful we will be stopping there. He said he would email me as soon as they had power back, but have not heard from him...

On a recent thread I read that his home was destroyed, but Mandoo is OK. I can't remember where I read it (?)

We are supposed to go to Grenada on the Constellation Thanksgiving week and have not heard if it is cancelled or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm booking a cruise for December in the Southern Caribbean considering a couple of itineraries. Both visit islands between Barbados and Puerto Rico. A friend suggested that the snorkeling might not be so good right now due to hurricane damage to the reefs. Of course, the news reports have centered on the land damage to the main islands.

Does anyone know how whether there was much underwater damage in this area?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this information on another board:

Author: cruising rev

Date: 10-18-04 13:02

I just received the following information from the Grenada tourism board

Grenada's 2004 winter cruise ship season will begin on October 26, 2004 when the Norwegian Spirit docks with 3,100 passengers. The following day, October 27 will see a similar visit from Golden Princess.

The Government and people of Grenada are proud of the fact that after the devastation caused by Ivan on September 7, 2004, we can see the return of cruise ships that quickly.

With best wishes,

Sincerely yours,

Edwin Frank

PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER

Post Edited (10-18-04 13:22)

I hope this answers your question. Wes

Our Docs say we are going to St. Vincent instead of Grenada, but the website is now relisting Grenada as our port on the Dawn sail of Nov7th. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has been there recently.

We're on the Constellation sailing December 4th. Celebrity is still saying that they are stopping in Grenada. But the Sunday Travel Section in the Boston Globe indicated that the State Department still has a travel warning issued for Grenada. I can't imagine that it will be a pleasant place to visit, unfortunately, even if the warning is lifted. With 90% of the buildings destroyed, I'd guess it's going to take a very long time for them to recover.

Sheila

I just got my cruise docs today for the 11/20 Connie cruise on Celebrity and Grenada is listed as a stop. I'm just not sure if I want to spend time there right now. I have been there before and really enjoyed it, but this time I may make it a "Stay on the Ship" day. It's not that I don't want to support the people there, but at the same time I really don't want to tour around looking at the devistation.

We have almost 40 cruise critics on our trip and right now we are all taking a "wait and see" attitude.

I emailed Mandoo last Fri and received a response from him this weekend. My concern is that our cruise, Golden Princess 12/19/04 will bypass Grenada. . .I've emailed him back to ask about cancellation policy, but have not heard back from him as of yet.

Archived