Not excited about planning this next cruise

Sweetcharlotte30

Last cruise I was totaly excited, I loved planning the hotel we were going to stay at pre-cruise, our shore excursions, etc... This time around I don't want to do any of that stuff, I just want to get on the ship; relax, sleep, order room service, watch the sea go by and just do whatever. I think it might be a combo of two things. One being that we didn't do 1/2 the things I planned which is ok, there's nothing wrong with being flexable. So now I have the aditude of "Why bother planning if we're going to do other things" Secondly, I'm going on a group cruise so I feel alot is planned already. That's just ducky with me, less planning I have to do. I'm really excited about this shore excursion or that restaurant, just not the planning part. Has anyone else felt really excited about planning a cruise or two and then the planning excitement wears off? Is this what a seasoned cruiser feels like? I kinda miss the planning excitement.

I think it's hard to maintain a level of excitement when you have a while to wait before your next cruise. It comes and it goes. I've done most of my research and planning and still have 49 days to go, so I probably won't get really excited until we're closer to our cruise. Don't worry. You'll get the feeling back and have a wonderful time! :)

Ok Tef, but were you excited about planning a cruise in the first place?
Back in the day, yes. Then it got to be routine, then we started deviating from the "plan." Now it's "Pack, go, make it up as you go along."

All I've ever really PLANNED, was when to pack my bags, what day we were going to get to our pre-cruise destination, and the reservations to the hotel......of course also flights. Otherwise, I PLAN, to :

A. Have FUN

B. Relax

C. Bask in the fact I/you DON'T have to PLAN a thing

Enjoy your cruise, roll with the flow{ whatever suits you at the moment}, and just relax. You can still research options as far as shore tours and have a plan B in case the group option doesn't suit you. We"ve often done our own thing , rather than follow our group....just for some alone time together...The great part about cruising is there are no rules...you don't HAVE to do anything if you don't want.

My excitement comes from just knowing I'm going....

Have a blast on your 2nd cruise !

I am one of those who loves to "plan." I actually enjoy the planning almost as much as the cruise itself. We booked our January cruise in June and I'll be checking Cruise Critic every day until we leave. I love doing research on the islands, the food, the activities. I don't plan every hour of every day, but love just reading the threads, etc. I get lots of great ideas every time we cruise.

I have planned the whole pre-cruise wkend for us in New Orleans, but as far as shore excursions and whatnot, there are a few things I would like for us to do. If they happen, fine. If not, fine. I AM ON A CRUISE!! That is really all that truly matters to me!! :D

Happy sailing,

T.

I have planned the whole pre-cruise wkend for us in New Orleans, but as far as shore excursions and whatnot, there are a few things I would like for us to do. If they happen, fine. If not, fine. I AM ON A CRUISE!! That is really all that truly matters to me!! :D

I have the same atitude, if it happens, great... if not, oh well. I was just so excited to do all the planning last time, now it's like "whatever just get me on the ship"

I think in the past when I was cruising I had people that were just excited about the planning as I was with planning it. Now I dont have that and it has killed the planning stage some.. I dont nearly plan as much for the upcoming cruise as I did in the past. Actually my miracle is taking each day as it comes.

Not a whole lot of planning after the first cruise. Now mostly plan what we want to do prior to the cruise while in NO.

Mostly we talk about what we want to do once we get on board then go with the flow anyway.

Shoot it's time out from heavy planning and thinking. It's relax and if something looks like fun to do, then that's the plan.

Have a great cruise.

Charlotte, I feel your pain. As one of your cruising partners in crime (I am also going with the large group you described), I too find it hard to work up the enthusiasm right now. We booked a year in advance, and it is hard to carry that exhilarated feeling for 365 days. I suspect that when we get into the double digits on our countdown clock, the excitement will rise again, and we will be thinking about all the endless choices we have for activities.

As for me, I'm just booking the excursions that I have a deadline for, like the Beach Break Party due to the limited numbers. I still really haven't decided on the other places yet because it is only September, and February seems so far away. Meh, I will probably seriously think about what we are going to do in January.

So, take heart...you are not alone in your plight. Right now, I'm like "I'm going on a cruise...big deal." I'm sure I will feel differently when I see that countdown clock get below 50.

Just enjoy what is left of the nice weather, get through the winter, and I will be seeing you on Lido deck learning the Ketchup Dance!!

I'm a little worried. I would plan, and plan, and plan. Now I just pack and go. When you have had 2 hurricanes blow through and a third on the way it is very hard to get excited; and I have 3 cruises booked. I think I will get into the swing of things when I get to the ship and relax.

Lisa :cool:

charlotte

Nice to see a post from you, I know that you helped make our last cruise special with your constant smile and endless enthusiasm. That said all you need to do is just show up and I am sure you will have a great trip.

Ryan and Erin

Hi Ryan and Erin! We're going to have a blast on the Miracle with other great and wonderful CC people. Just not into the planning thing this time around. It might be a good thing though, I just looked at my calendar and I'm on overload as of this afternoon. Nice to see you guys around again :)

Charlotte, sounds like a lot of us are in the same 'boat' (pun intended)...:rolleyes:

After three straight cruises on the Holiday, and getting less enthused about the "preparation part" - I'm going on the Sensation 11/1 - just for a change and to, hopefully, get excited about cruising again. I mean, I DO love my time cruising, just no biggie about getting ready for it.

I had quite a gap in my cruising years; consequently, three years ago I was SO excited, just like I was for my very first cruise in '87! Running around getting all the things I needed was such fun. Now - the 'cruise drawer' is always filled with the things I need to take, so really nothing new to do.

Hoping I'll feel a little better about it as the time nears. But right now, I don't have any enthuasiasm at all. I think I'll be ok around the end of October, when it's just a few days away.

Halloween - give out candy.

Next day - get on ship.

Not all bad.....:D

On each cruise we take I become a bit more knowledgable. What to take or what not to bother taking; staterooms I like /don't like; how to get there, when to get there and on and on. So I don't reinvent the wheel with each cruise just modify the plan. Obviously this doesn't take long.

But I really enjoy thinking, talking, dreaming cruise. My wife calls it O.C.D. (Obsesive-Compulsive Disorder). So I spend a lot of time researching cruises, hotels and transportation which will make each cruise unique. Example: the up coming cruise on Carnival is out of NYC. Rather than fly we are taking a train. My wife has never traveled by train and for me it's been 35 years.

For the November cruise I spent about 16 hours just researching hotels to stay at in Florida. The objective was to find the cheapest full service hotel.

Orlando Clarion Smoking, King bed, complimentry cocktail hour, full breakfast for $57.

My TA loves me because I do everything for her. If she isn't going to get a commission from booking whatever, I book it myself.

Currently I am looking at an Alaska cruise in July 2005. This one is more fun because my sister and her husband are going too so I have to consider them in the planning.

We love to cruise. If we aren't planning, we are discussing and looking at pictures of previous cruises. I spend time on message boards, reading reviews and looking at other cruisers pictures. O.C.D. indeed and loving it.

Archived