Additional Fees

marienbad

While on the Voyager we booked a cruise for 2009, and we were told that if we cancelled we would be charged $200 (fee waived if we booked another cruise in 6 months).

Now I learned they have another new fee. If you change travel agents, Regent charges you $200.

Wonder what other new fees are in the offing.

Regent may be all inclusive onboard, but not in their business office.

Well, that's a first! I've never heard of a cruise line penalizing a customer for changing travel agents before. Isn't that the job of the travel agent to set fees for cancelling their services if they see fit? I wonder what the reasoning is behind Regent charging a fee? Maybe one of our CC members that are also TA's can shed some light on it.

Pat

I do not think I was aware of the fee, but I really don't have a problem with it.

One of problems TAs have is they book someone and then the client shops the price (rather than doing it before the booking was made) and uses the assertion of a lower price to push the fare lower (sometimes below what could be considered profitable).

Therefore the new TA would effectively have to absorb that $200. Considering the number of clients that would change a booking for a perceived $50 savings (usually forgetting about service), the fee would also discourage that sort of thing.

IMO, this new cancelation fee will decrease the number of people doing onboard bookings or bookings way ahead of time.

You are probably right. However, Regent limited the number of cruises which provided an on board booking discount I am not sure how much additionally it will affect the mix. Also, there is nothing that says if the price drops your TA cannot change the price...only that you cannot move to another TA without the charge.

With all due respect to IAMBOATMAN, from a consumer point of view competition is good. We should be able to check out what others TAs are offering, and make the best deal. Prices on Regent for 2009 are very high. To find a good deal might ease the pain of the cost of the trip.

I totally agree that you should be able to shop around for the lowest price/best service. The problem is the TA or client that shops after the fact for the last few dollars. With the higher prices, the $200 represents a very small percentage...probably not even a percent. It is just enough to discourage the beat it by $50 syndrome. BTW, Crystal has put a similar type of program into effect; different in approach though. (And there are penalties to the TA that tries to get around it.)

To be sure, it isn't perfect, but I guess the issue comes down to finding a TA that takes care of you...including pricing adjustments.

A funny thing happened on our furture Regent booking. We asked that the booking go to our new agent. By mistake Regent sent the booking to our new and old agent. The quotes were different by almost $700 on a $6500 fare.

To use the agent who quoted the lower fare we would need to pay the transfer fee of $200. We cancelled the cruise.

BTW what is the Crystal program IAMBOATMAN mentioned?

I think we need further definition from Regent as to when the penalty is imposed. If, for instance, your last cruise was through TA "1" -- then you book your future cruise through through TA "2", the penalty does seem out of line.

However if you have already booked the "future cruise" and change your mind about TA's, I assume there is a lot of paperwork involved in making the change.

We all have shopped around, however, IMO, once the cruise is booked, the deposits and the paperwork has gone through to the TA you booked with, there may be reason for a penalty. I'll probably get flamed on this one -- I certainly do not want extra fees - just looking forward to reading the language of Regent's new policy on TA's.

We too would like to know upfront what new fees, charges etc. Regent has instituted for 2009 sailings. We were never told about the transfer fee if one changes agents. That transfer fee is imposed if you change agents, not if you select a new agent in making the cruise.We were told about the $200 cancellation fee. Are there other new fees? Are other lines like Crystal imposing similar new fees.

Can anyone who knows help clarify this?

Went to the Crystal site to find out their policy - their Q & A's and policies are for 2007 -- do not see any info. for 2008/09. Just posted on their boards -- it seems that passengers, in general, know what is going on before anyone:D It will be interesting to find out their policy!

This is not affecting DIRECT Regent onboard bookings. If you book onboard and make the booking directly with Regent (no agent on record) then you can assign that booking to any TA you wish, there is no fee involved.

If you book onboard and the booking is assigned to your old travel agent (as is always the case unless you request otherwise) and you then wish to change agents the fee would be incurred by your new agent.

It is only when one travel agency is taking a booking ALREADY MADE away from another travel agency. The travel agency who takes over a booking already made pays the $200 fee out of their commission.

This is not affecting DIRECT Regent onboard bookings. If you book onboard and make the booking directly with Regent (no agent on record) then you can assign that booking to any TA you wish, there is no fee involved.

If you book onboard and the booking is assigned to your old travel agent (as is always the case unless you request otherwise) and you then wish to change agents the fee would be incurred by your new agent.

It is only when one travel agency is taking a booking ALREADY MADE away from another travel agency. The travel agency who takes over a booking already made pays the $200 fee out of their commission.

Thanks for the explanation. The response from the Crystal board was great -- saying the same thing. It really makes sense when you think about it.

In terms of other "fees", I rechecked our latest Regent brochure and their website (was amazed at how up to date the website was) -- although changes in travel agencies was not directly addressed, the changes in cancellation fees were. Cancellation fees for the World Cruise, Paul Gauguin cruises and "regular" cruises are not the same -- definitely worth reading.

While I agree that costs involved to cruise Regent in 2009 are high -- the same can be said of just about any cruise line -- just read the newly posted SS 2009 cruise fares -- wow!

Travelcat,

Can you tell us where you found the information about the new $200 administrative fee charge at cancellation between initial deposit and 121 days before departure? I have looked in several places on the website and only find the original schedule of penalties which begin at day 120 (except the PG which got a $100 administrative fee when the ship was sold).

Thanks, Debbie

I heard about this possible fee mid year, never heard that it actually went into effect and was never advised it had been instituted. In most cases I refuse bookings from a new client already made by other agencies and suggest they contact me when they make their next new booking. So I was never was in a situation to test how it works or even that a fee had been assessed. It is possible they had a fee in place and were handling this fee differently in the last few months. If this is the case I was totally unaware and your booking may have been a 2008 booking with different rules.

I am hesitant to even post this as I do not like to get involved in any controversy. Not to take anything away from the Regent Omaha representative who do a great job but misinformation does come from the representatives as they have tons of information on a computer screen and this would have been somewhat out of the box.

Below is the official wording on the business rules from Regent that have just come out. This is for 2009 bookings so 2008 bookings could have been different.

"Effective 12/1/07 for all 2009 bookings and beyond, changes to the agency of record on a booking will result in a $200 per booking administration fee. This charge will reduce commission but will not appear on the guest invoice."

I'm sure you are right, and the person I spoke to at Regent was wrong. However, they told me (after checking with a supervisor) that I would have to fill out a transfer form and that I would be charged $200 for the transfer to the other agent. I have the invoice from the other agent listing the $200 on my Invoice. As I said, I cancelled the cruise. In any case it would be nice if Regent clarified the policy. Customers do not like to be blindsided.

I bet our messages crossed, I edited mine after I looked at the business rules and saw that the fee I am referring to was effective 12/01/07 and for 2009 bookings and beyond. I did not know a fee of any kind had been put into effect prior to this new set of business rules.

Based on what you say they must have instituted the fee earlier in the year with different rules. If you saw it on an invoice, and talked to a supervisor then there is no doubt this is what happened. I just did not know.

There has been a problem with solicitation of passengers, particularly on ships and I think Regent is trying to do the best they can to stop that practice in many different ways.

They must have decided to change that fee from the passenger to the new agent. A much better solution in my opinion.

At least we know the policy for the future.

The last place I would want to be solicited is on a ship......on my vacation! Gee whiz......I surely hope that this new fee will put a stop to that practice. I would flip right out on anyone that tried that on me on a cruise. There's a time and a place for everything and that isn't it in my opinion. How crass can some get!

Pat

Thanks for the information, Ngaire. Let me say my booking was for a 2009 cruise.

I agree solicitation onboard should not be allowed. That has never happened to us.

But I think guests should be able to change TAs on their own initiative for a variety of reasons, and not be penalized. I wonder what is to stop the TA who is supposed to absorb the $200 fee from passing it on to the customer?

TAs I have used send me invoices they create, and as I said the invoice I received from the TA included the $200 transfer fee on the amount I was to pay. If Regent does not make the policy clear to customers (much less give misinformation when asked), how would a customer know? I guess by writing into Cruisecritic.

Archived