Voyager western caribbean, Dec.14-21

I'm not posting this under reviews, since it's more a mishmash of observations and experiences than a strict review would be. Just let me say that we had an amazing time. As usual. David and I have a knack for taking great vacations--we're always really happy together when we're away. I think it has mostly to do with the grind of routine getting us down. So we were gobsmacked the whole time, and I think we had more fun than anyone else on the ship! The ship was in tip-top shape in my opinion. Much activity getting ready for the WC.

Embarkation was perfectly done. Very quick and painless. Hung around the pool deck, had a snack. I wandered down to the spa to make a booking. Warning ladies--if you want a booking for the first seaday of a trip, run down there as soon as you board!

Calling of the rooms was delayed because of a surprise Coastguard inspection. Some people complained about this (always somebody to complain about almost anything.) We strolled by our room about 3 and it was ready--we asked the stewardess (one of two Jennifers), and she said it was ready. We were 2 doors away from last year, 655. Perfect in every way for us, but more on cabins later.

Service: everywhere was great, and we really had no complaints in that regard at all. Our stewardess was great--she came within the hour and asked us how we wanted our bar stocked!

There was quite a range of passengers--a fair number of large families travelling together, some 3 generations. Quite a few older folks, and quite a few younger ones too. Which put us squarely in the middle I suspect. About 20 children altogether, all well behaved and quite sweet.

There was a fair amount of lounge-hogging going on on the pool deck. I really wish they would be firmer about that--perhaps make a point of asking people not to do this perhaps in the Daily Passages? There's a certain ambiguity--if there's only a towel on a chair, does that mean it's empty?

Food: I won't go into all the meals we had--I tend to forget the specifics, they all blend together. But Compass Rose was outstanding, and we had little desire to go elsewhere. We did book Signatures for the second sea day, and it was very nice--service is excellent. But I don't think the food surpassed CR except for the truffle-flavoured butter that I remember from last trip! Had one meal in La Verandah, it's a nice option when you're too tired for hoopla, but not ready for room service--it was good, not fabulous.

We tended to have breakfast in La Verandah, and the food was very good. Had a couple of very nice lunches in Compass Rose--it was a quiet haven when the pool deck was crowded and hot.

Didn't bother with Latitudes, but funny, on the same day two people mentioned their meal there the night before--one loved it, one hated it. Go figure.

Entertainment and Bars: We saw no shows at all, we could never make it that late, or if we did, we just went to a lounge. We like the lounges, and I must say I missed Hal Fraser. The Observation Lounge mostly had a guitarist named Jonny Mack. Pleasant, but not really suitable I would say--I never saw anyone dance to his music, for example.

It seemed that they were experimenting with lounge talent. They have the orchestra now, and I admit we missed them a couple of times in lounges. But overall I felt the lounge music was too dull and downbeat--something a little livelier and more varied would be great.

Experimented with different bars and the drinks they made. The Cosmos in the Observation Lounge were so-so. But cosmos and martinis in the Horizon Lounge when Michael made them--the best!

We also took a ballroom dance lesson and learned the Rhumba! Did not get a chance to practice much, but intend to do so!

Excursions and Itinerary: The itinerary was great. I could have used another sea day, and if we'd known about Cozumel, would have made ourselves one. Lots of people we spoke to went on no excursions at all, just stayed on the ship, or walked around the local area. We did this in Key West. It's a fun port.

Cozumel: The excursion from hell. Think long and hard before you do the "Exploring Cozumel by Jeep & Snorkel". Perhaps some of the families enjoyed it, but overall it was awful. By far the worse Regent/Radisson-sponsored excursion we've taken. We had to pair of with another couple (very fortuitous!), and drive around about 70% of the island, at high speeds, on bad roads, with a fairly beaten-up jeep. Bad snorkelling (reefs on shore are mostly gone now, destroyed by a hurricane; water cloudy), and worse lunch (a cafeteria-style picnic eaten sitting on a blanket in the sand.) Went to the pathetic Mayan ruins, and also had a shopping opportunity, of course! Oh, and the beaches are absolutely filled with litter.

Belize: So, enough of that...everything else was fabulous. We went to Lamanai in Belize, and it was a wonderful day--a (very windy) river trip following a bus ride. Lots of observing of flora and fauna including baby crocociles, herons, flowers. Lamanai itself is very impressive--the largest pyramid we saw is higher than Chichen Itza. They gave us a plain but nicely-prepared and presented lunch before a guided tour. Nicely-kept grounds, little museum, clean washrooms.

Guatemala: We did a concierge choice, "Visit to Q'eqchi Indigenous River Community". Outstanding. I now officially want to go back to Guatemala (and Belize). We had a (windy again), high-speed boat ride straight from the dock up the coast to the town of Livingston, where we cut into the mouth of the Rio Dulce. Fantastic, I felt like we were in Jurassic Park at times. Amazing wildlife, and the indigenous people out fishing. Wow. They took us to a school complex funded by Ak'Tenamit, a non-profit organization trying to help the indigenous populations decimated by the civil war. Certainly life-altering being there.

They then took us back down the river to Livingston, which is a town populated by Garifuna, peoples who are ethnically a mixture of African slaves and Carib Indians who migrated to Roatan and then to Central America from the Caribbean islands when slavery was abolished. We had a great lunch and a dance performance, in a pleasant little ocean-side hotel.

All in all an amazing port--the locals gave us a terrific send-off at sailaway. They had several dance troupes performing to music, and every cab in the area came and turned on their alarms and flashed their lights--doesn't sound like much but it was touching.

Key West: was very pleasant, as always, despite the tackiness of Duval Street. We had a very nice walk through the Truman Annex, and then over to the historical port and back. But it was mostly a sea day too for us. Sailaway was very pretty, with people congregating for sunset and performers on the square.

We met some lovely people, and had some interesting encounters. Saw Betty and Larry around the ship frequently. The couple we shared the jeep with turned out to be great, and we really enjoyed their company. Later we went up to their cabin (I owed her some money), and wow. They were in one of the Master's Suites. The smaller one (!!, only about 1100 sq. ft.) We stayed and had a drink, and enjoyed their balcony as we sailed away from Cozumel. This suite, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, is almost as big as our new condo apartment will be! Aside from their being very entertaining and nice people, we really enjoyed seeing the cabin.

Really enjoyed your "mishmash of observations". We did a similar itinerary on the Navigator earlier this year. I do wonder why they keep Cozumel on the itinerary -- perhaps it was a more interesting port prior to the hurricane. We did a snorkeling tour with a local company, good tour -- unfortunately, many of the reefs were destroyed -- not much to see anymore.

It has been about a year and a half since we were on the Voyager -- really miss the experience -- it was fun living it again through your "review". How interesting that Latitudes is still "love it or hate it" (we loved it). Almost like Portofino's on the Navigator - we didn't care for it -- others rave about it.

We also experimented with drinks on our last cruise -- cosmo's are great - chocolate martini's are a wonderful dessert. Did you have any issues with in-suite bar set-up? I keep reading posts that seem to indicate that the all-inclusive policy, as it pertains to suites, is confusing to the staff as well as to passengers.

Guess I'll continue living through other people's posts until our next cruise -- not until May (just booked a 2009 cruise -- didn't add it to my signature -- it takes up too much space:-) Thanks again for the good reading!:)

Lucky you, you're booked in 2009! Fortunately I have my PG cruise to look forward to, a year from now, plenty of time to scheme until then.

No problem with the in-suite bar setup. Our stewardess came and asked us about it almost immediately, and also advised us of how to take advantage of our Silver benefits (free pressing for formal/informal nights.) We just wanted Heineken and wine--with all the drinks flowing, we let the bartenders make our pina coladas and cosmos.

Really enjoyed your review. We were on the same cruise. We also walked through Truman Annex. It's a great spot. Did you go to the Eco Discovery Center at the end of the Annex? It's run by the National Park Service, it's free, and has the best 20 minute movie about the underwater reefs and fish in the area that I've seen.

When we are on the cruise the week before, they closed up the boutique in preparation for a new vendor. I'm curious as to any impressions as to how the new vendor is. Also, there was one comment on CC that the new vendor means Park Lane is gone so far as the art acutions. I'm wondering if this was true.

Very good looking. Much higher quality merchandise. Prices are very high. No discounts at all on any watches. Movado where you can get anywhere for 25 off is no discount. They are on other shops so they should know what they are doing. They were empty ever day that i passed by. I hope they do well.

I read Off Shore's review, and also spoke to them on the cruise. What can I say, same cruise, different experience.

I admit the trip to Lamanai was long, and somewhat windy. We were separated into two groups, and we had the "good" guide it seems. We had plenty of time among the ruins, and were not rushed at all. The lunch provided was fine, *way* better than the one in Cozumel the day before. Not posh, but clean and tasty, and served by very friendly people. Many trips have long travel time--this is stated up front. Seeing Lamanai was absolutely worth the effort for us, too bad if the other guide was not as good.

Yes, they are eager to get you off the ship--ours made the bed up while we were off having breakfast. No big deal, I expected it, it's happened before, but if we had been in the room, I would have told her to come back--we had a friendly relationship with our room stewardess and I'm sure she would have complied.

We ran into another couple who did Latitudes the same night as Off Shore--they absolutely loved it (having done this room on previous cruises.) We didn't bother, we live in Toronto where asian cuisine of all types abounds, but did hear other favourable comments on Latitudes.

What can I say? You said your expectations were too high, and they probably were. Especially the Caribbean. With our expectations set on "medium", we were very happy.

But miss our two Weeks of cruising. We ate at Latitudes the first week of the 7th and was just fine. The second week they changed completely there was a menu the second week and was a tasting the first week.

The food the second was well below PAR.

As for the Buggy Ride, that was something else. The most unsafe cars I have ever driven. One person had to pull off the road for a lug nut came off and others were loose. The two men who were running the show said this was not the first time with this problem. My car had no turn signals no stop lights no windshield wipers. When I told the travel desk they said they would get back to me. They wrote me a letter and said this was an isolated problem. No way the wires were cut in my car. I don't think the people on the ship ever visited the cars themselves.

It's also strange that no crew members ever came on any of our tours. This is a first for us.

But I must say in general we had a great time.

Thank you very much for your observations. We will be on this itinerary on the Navigator, in March. We loved the Voyager last year (including Latitudes!) and I will miss the restaurant selection we had on that ship, but we do want to try all of the RSSC ships.

I don't think we would have chosen the "Jeep and Snorkel" excursion, but can anyone recommend worthwhile things to do in Cozumel? There must be something.....? :)

Margate, glad you complained as well. Yes, I noticed no one from Regent on this one as well, but then, how could they, unless perhaps they rode with the tour leader?

We just blasted them on the opinion form, but I'm thinking we should write them a letter too, so this doesn't get perpetrated on anyone else. Obviously malfunctions weren't particularly isolated--when I pointed out to one of the guys that I could not get my seatbelt unfastened to use it, he just unfastened it and walked away. When I realized that, once fastened, I would not be able to unfasten it again, I gave up. This was both the backseat belts.

We watched some of the dune buggies and felt sorry for you guys, and I remember one of them pulling over, maybe that was you!

The first one I couldn't get my seatbelt to work so he put the lap belt on me. I refused to take that car and walked away and he said he would find me another buggy. Which he dis with nothing working.

As for other tours no one came with us from the ship on any of them both weeks.

We did the rapelling tour in Belize and it was absolutely fabulous! There was no representative from Regent with us on the trip. The bus was less than the most comfortable we've ever experienced and the bus ride was pretty long. However, once we got to the jungle, the experience was incredible as were the tour people assisting us. This was the only organized tour we took.

We did roam around in the other ports and were disappointed with Cozumel as well as some others who have posted.

Overall the cruise with Regent - our first - was one of the best cruises I've ever been on. Very comparable to the Silversea cruise we went on last year!

Our stewardess and butler were amazing and helped us with so many things. The spa treatments were really great and we felt truly relaxed by the time we debarked.

There were very few children on board and those that were there were extremely well behaved and adorable to watch.

We got a Penthouse suite and the room was beautiful with a wonderful layout. The bathroom was spacious and plenty of room in the sitting area for both of us to relax.

Are we really home already??? Rats!!!

Thank you very much for your observations. We will be on this itinerary on the Navigator, in March. We loved the Voyager last year (including Latitudes!) and I will miss the restaurant selection we had on that ship, but we do want to try all of the RSSC ships.

I don't think we would have chosen the "Jeep and Snorkel" excursion, but can anyone recommend worthwhile things to do in Cozumel? There must be something.....? :)

There are some good non-Regent tours -- can't recommend a specific company due to CC rules. We went on a snorkeling trip (maximum of 15 people -- and they stayed away from crowded areas). Try a Google search -- when you see what you are interested in, do another search to find reviews. We have been quite successful using that method.

In my opinion, Cozumel just has too many ships in port at once. When we were there (April 2007), there were six ships in port. For fun, I added the total capacity of all the ships -- 10,000 (of course, they were probably not full and not everyone got off of the ship:-) You may want to check out how many ships will be docked at the different ports. It seems that Regent tries to avoid heavy traffic days as much as possible (we were the only ship in port, for instance, in Belize).

Have a great trip.

Great reviews! I hope all of you that had such horrible and unsafe shore excursions do more then just putting it on the evaluation form. As you suggest Wendy.....I agree a letter would be taken notice of. So Regent is still only putting reps on some shore excursions and not others........I wish they would do it for all shore excursions like SS does. Then they can see for themselves what is safe/unsafe and an inferior/good tour themselves as well as putting their pax at ease.

Also, on a lux cruise......chair hogging should not be allowed.......I'm dismayed to see that this practice is not being dealt with.

Pat

Archived