Why the dislike of Freestyle/NCL

JWestShuh

Many people simply have an aversion to change. To them, the concept of cruising has certain traditions attached; and innovations such as freestyle and/or personal choice just don't fit in with those traditions. The problem for these travellers is that because of the success of freestyle, more and more cruiselines are adopting some version of it. They may have no choice but to adapt or give up cruising altogether. The times they are a changing . . . LOL.

I'm on the other side of the coin. I am looking at a couple of cruises out of NY next January. RCI vs. NCL. RCI is actually the better price, but the idea of traditional dining is horrifying to me . . . a real step backwards after my last two cruises on NCL. I guess I'm an NCL snob now. ;)

I Do agree that its just not for some people,and they can and will go on the other lines.I actually like the ideal of freestyle.I just am a concerned at the way it seems to be going less and less free and more and more pay.

I wish I could respond to your responses, but the quote function won't allow it.

Let me just add this....we did Disney this past summer and I never had to plan more for a vacation than I did for that trip. Which parks to go to on which days, making dining reservations and making sure you were at the right park at the right time. Rushing out of parks to make dinner reservations. Running to attractions to get "Fastpasses" Making sure you arranged the rest of your day so that you could get back to use your "Fastpass." Dodging runaway trams (wait, thats another story). Waiting in lines.

I know, I know....we made the decision to go to Disney. But my point is for comparision. No matter what vacation you go on, you are going to have do some planning. You are going to have to wait in lines and you are not always going to get what you want.

One of the problems with Disney was making food choices that everybody liked. Not a problem with Freestyle Cruising....we just split up.

Finally, most of the responses to my questions said to go to the buffet. Why should I have to be relegated to the buffet just because I don't like my seating time, my tablemates or the dress code? Sounds pretty unfriendly to me.

and, I don't care what anyone else is wearing to dinner. They could be naked for all I care. I only care about enjoying my food and enjoying the company that I am with. It is, and always will be, my opinion that those who care what anyone else in the room is wearing are insecure with their own image and lifestyle.

I want to make sure you understand that I do not share other posters viewpoints in that I believe you have to use the buffet if you do not want to dress up on formal night. Its one thing if you want to use it, its quite another (and unacceptable that you have to use the buffet).

I understand how you may believe that I have insecurities with my own image and lifestyle if I do not want to dress up on the optional formal night, but I assure you that is not the case. Formal night on other lines is more of a gala (for lack of a better example) affair. I would not like to see anyone in resort casual at a gala. Does it happen, yes. Do I like it, no. Just like some do not like hats in dining rooms (which I agree with). I have no solution for having both my likes and freestyle likes accomodated on a ship. That is why I mentioned the "fantasy" idea of two restaurants with the same menu - one where those truly dressed up eat, and another where those who do not dress up eat (neither allowed in the other restaurant). Many people change into more comfortable clothes on other lines after dinner, so I really wouldn't care after. I am just one who likes to go to a place once in awhile where jackets are required for men.

I been cruising for 11 years 4 ncl and I would be surprised if anyone who cruised before freestyle didnt think service and food were better before.I dont think the complaints are just from traditional cruisers.But if freestyle means paying for more things that used to be free,then yes Iam afraid that the other lines will follow suit.[/quote]

I completely agree, which will then begin to make cruising not so economical for us. When that happens we will still continue to cruise, just not as often.

I am a lawyer. In my full time job I am paid a set salary every month to represent children. I do not bill by time. Courts are pretty much shut down this week and next.

Who are you to suggest when I should be on CC?

Go ahead and leave your violent thingie up if it means that much to you.

You did not have to deal with that, if she only knew how most attorneys work 24/7/365, whether on the clock or not maybe she would not have made that nasty comment.

You have my sympathies because I have been there and done that and truth is you don't even get to enjoy the holidays.

For what it is worth her fight thing is inappropriate and simply eats up band width, maybe CC should ban all signatures that are anything more than text.

Lots of generalities here, aren't there? People are different, and that's all there is to it. I don't think people should care what other people like. There are enough ships for all of us to sail.:) (I enjoy both lines but prefer traditional dining.)

Gee, the original question was why do you think people don't like freestyle cruising. No one has an answer it is all opinion unless you are the one who doesn't like it, and the opinions are all generalities.

Seems to me that the NCL cheerleaders AKA the "sunshine cruisers" are getting very sensitive when someone voices an opinion.

I just got off the Norwegian Pearl last week Dec 23. and I have to admit that it was quite terrible. We had a great time on the cruise but the dining experience could have been better. The Pearl had a choice of 4 free restaurants(two with same menu, one italian, and one latin american) and another 4 or 5 specialty pay extra( $10 to $20 per person) restaurants. The freestyle concept "Eat when you want and where you want" sounds great. But in reality, it should read "Eat when you want and where you want with a reservation!" It started the first night when it took over an hour wait to get into any of the restaurants. The two specialty free restaurants were very difficult to even get a reservation for. In order to be certain that I could eat where and when I wanted, I had to get up every morning @ 6:30am to get in line to make a reservation at the reservation desk which opened @ 7:00am. If you did not get to the reservation desk by 7:30am you were not eating at the free specialty restaurants and had to be flexible in what was still available in the main dining room. The reason I found it difficult also getting reservations for the two free specialty restaurants was that the food in the main dining room and buffet was not all that great and everyone was looking for something better. I have to admit that the food in La Cuccina and Mambos was very good and worth getting up for, however not as relaxing as one would expect cruising. It seems NCL would like you to pay extra at the pay extra specialty restaurants in order to get a good meal. Even these restaurants required reservations in order to be certain of getting a certain dining time.:mad:

Gee, the original question was why do you think people don't like freestyle cruising. No one has an answer it is all opinion unless you are the one who doesn't like it, and the opinions are all generalities.

Seems to me that the NCL cheerleaders AKA the "sunshine cruisers" are getting very sensitive when someone voices an opinion.

So can you then give me your opinion on why so many are quick to bash NCL?

I Do agree that its just not for some people,and they can and will go on the other lines.I actually like the ideal of freestyle.I just am a concerned at the way it seems to be going less and less free and more and more pay.

I've said it before and I've said it again... I would much rather have the option of paying for things I want than to have things I don't want included (and added) in my fare.

There are three of us going on our upcoming MR cruise on the Star. With two of us paying full fares and our daughter being the third, it still averages out to be only $54 per day for each of us, after taxes and port charges (inside cabin). My daughter and I went out for supper tonight, and it cost us $22, and that was at a decent family restaurant with no better and no worse food than what we had on the Dream last year, so let's say our supper is worth $11 each. That leaves us paying $43 each for the rest of the day. I haven't eaten breakfast or lunch at restaurants for a while, but let's average it out to about $8 each... so another $16. That leaves $27 per day for accommodations, entertainment, snacks... I'm sorry if I don't feel like I need to complain about spending a few more bucks on a specialty restaurant! :) (and I definitely feel no need to complain because things are included in my fare that I don't want)

Oops! I forgot to add in the $10 per day ($5 for my daughter) service charge/autotip. For anyone keeping up with the math, that means that after meals, we're paying $(37+37+32)=$106 per night for our accommodations, including entertainment, 'grazing' (buffet, Blue Lagoon, room service, etc.), transportation between ports, towel service... Yeah. Still okay with what I'm paying. :)

So can you then give me your opinion on why so many are quick to bash NCL?

I don't have an opinion as to why people bash NCL. The original question had to do with why people don't like "freestyle". I voiced my opinion about that early in this thread.

I do not believe that it is ever fair to bash any cruise line with a broad brush. If a cruiser on any line has an identifiable problem that they can articulate it is appropriate to provide that information.

Of course, before you can answer the question it must be determined what is bashing, because what is bashing to one is not bashing to another.

I just got off the Norwegian Pearl last week Dec 23. and I have to admit that it was quite terrible. We had a great time on the cruise but the dining experience could have been better. The Pearl had a choice of 4 free restaurants(two with same menu, one italian, and one latin american) and another 4 or 5 specialty pay extra( $10 to $20 per person) restaurants. The freestyle concept "Eat when you want and where you want" sounds great. But in reality, it should read "Eat when you want and where you want with a reservation!" It started the first night when it took over an hour wait to get into any of the restaurants. The two specialty free restaurants were very difficult to even get a reservation for. In order to be certain that I could eat where and when I wanted, I had to get up every morning @ 6:30am to get in line to make a reservation at the reservation desk which opened @ 7:00am. If you did not get to the reservation desk by 7:30am you were not eating at the free specialty restaurants and had to be flexible in what was still available in the main dining room. The reason I found it difficult also getting reservations for the two free specialty restaurants was that the food in the main dining room and buffet was not all that great and everyone was looking for something better. I have to admit that the food in La Cuccina and Mambos was very good and worth getting up for, however not as relaxing as one would expect cruising. It seems NCL would like you to pay extra at the pay extra specialty restaurants in order to get a good meal. Even these restaurants required reservations in order to be certain of getting a certain dining time.:mad:

How is it I was able to get reservations for 6:30 pm at both Cagney's and Le Bistro without getting up at 6:30 am or standing in a long line? How was I able to get into the main dining room at 7:00 pm in 5 minutes, all of this on a ship the was completely full-in the Caribbean? Again, I ask, what am I doing right? I made my reservations at 4:00 pm or so, the day before and still managed to get a reservation. I swear everytime I read that someone HAD to get up at 6am, only to find that there were NO reservations, I just shake my head in wonder.

chrisbd1, I couldn't agree more. Wife and i enjoyed the Jewel in Nov. and had NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER getting a reservation for any restaurant any night at any time. We never made it to the reservation table (at Tango's) before 9 or 10 am and often much later than that. The longest we ever waited in either main dining room was 5 or 10 minutes. I too shake my head when I hear about the problems. We made friends with several other couples on the ship and we would discuss in the middle of the afternoon which restaurant to try the next night. It was a pleasant and stress-free experience to choose which great restaurant to try.

I have done 40 some cruises and have never had a bad waiter on traditional. I have done 2 NCL cruises and service was bad. I have tried the Princess open dining and the service was ok, nothing like NCL but not great either.

So why was the service so bad on NCL? Did I just decide to pick on NCL, no.

The things I like about traditional are small, but none the less, make the experience memorable: I dont like to wait and like to have dinner around 6pm, I like ice tea and I always smile when I get to the table and the ice tea with lemon is waiting. I like when the waiter brought me a 2nd of something with having to ask because he or she thought I really enjoyed it. I like it when before the ice tea glass is empty there is another one provided. I have made lots of friends on traditional cruises who were at our table where the friendship continuted after the cruise..

I have not had the same experiences with freestyle.

When cruise discussions come up, when people start comparing various lines, NCL usually does not get many positive comments.

NCL has alot of die hard fans. It also has a lot of people who are turned off by the line. It looks like Appolo is starting to make changes only a few months after investing in NCL. I believe they are going to make more changes in a effort to get some people back and retaining what they have.

NCL has been losing a lot of money and those losses cant be all blamed on the Hawaii fiasco.

I would guess if you picked some random people out of a crowd who are into cruising and asked them about the main cruise lines, of what they like and dont like, more would have bad things to say about NCL than the other lines.

I have done 40 some cruises and have never had a bad waiter on traditional. I have done 2 NCL cruises and service was bad. I have tried the Princess open dining and the service was ok, nothing like NCL but not great either.

So why was the service so bad on NCL? Did I just decide to pick on NCL, no.

The things I like about traditional are small, but none the less, make the experience memorable: I dont like to wait and like to have dinner around 6pm, I like ice tea and I always smile when I get to the table and the ice tea with lemon is waiting. I like when the waiter brought me a 2nd of something with having to ask because he or she thought I really enjoyed it. I like it when before the ice tea glass is empty there is another one provided. I have made lots of friends on traditional cruises who were at our table where the friendship continuted after the cruise..

I have not had the same experiences with freestyle.

When cruise discussions come up, when people start comparing various lines, NCL usually does not get many positive comments.

NCL has alot of die hard fans. It also has a lot of people who are turned off by the line. It looks like Appolo is starting to make changes only a few months after investing in NCL. I believe they are going to make more changes in a effort to get some people back and retaining what they have.

NCL has been losing a lot of money and those losses cant be all blamed on the Hawaii fiasco.

I would guess if you picked some random people out of a crowd who are into cruising and asked them about the main cruise lines, of what they like and dont like, more would have bad things to say about NCL than the other lines.

If those are the things you like about having the same server every night, then I'm not surprised that you haven't had the same experience on freestyle. How could you? I have different ideas, of course... I don't always drink the same thing at dinner, so I don't want anyone to put a drink down before I order it. I also would not want someone to bring me a second helping of anything just because they thought I enjoyed it - they'd likely be bringing me extra food at every meal, and I don't want or need it. :) I've already posted regarding cruise friendships. All of it is personal preference, though, so I'm very happy that for you and others who like this sort of thing, you have cruiselines that will provide it for you.

Which brings me to your closing statement. (as I've said about other statements I refer to, I apologize for singling you out as I've seen similar sentiments from others - yours just happens to be the one I'm replying to) The OP confirmed that what he was originally asking in this thread was not why people don't like freestyle, but why so many people are SO hateful about it. So, I ask, what makes you think that any random group of people who enjoyed cruising would have more people with bad things to say about NCL than good? How many cruiselines are there in the world? Certainly all of the people in the world who are into cruising haven't actually experienced NCL, so what percentage of any random group would? That's an important question, because it's hard to take someone seriously when they're telling me negative things about something they've never experienced for themselves. That's the kind of thing the OP was talking about - that on other boards, when NCL is brought up, suddenly all kinds of people jump in with horror stories, gossip and hearsay denouncing the line as 'bottom of the barrel', 'low class', or worse. I don't believe for a moment that any random group like you're describing would consist of people who have all experienced NCL. If it did, it would be a bizarre fluke. But that, as I'm saying, is part of the problem. It is my personal belief that the vast majority of people who frequent the other boards have not actually sailed NCL. I've actually seen posters here who spew vicious slurs against freestyle and NCL, and have a dozen 'other' lines in their sigs... but no NCL. Perhaps they're embarrassed to admit they 'slummed'. :p

I think most people in the world tend to see others with some common interests as sharing other common interests - or likes and dislikes. So, like you, if they dislike something, they expect 'most' other people with a related common interest to also dislike it. Just as you can't imagine why most people who truly like cruising would enjoy freestyle, however, I can't imagine why they wouldn't. Unlike us, however, there are people who take this thinking a bit too far. They assume they know what's best for everyone and do everything in their power to convince people to avoid what will certainly be a 'horrible' experience. Rather than relate actual experiences and explain what they did or didn't like, they believe they are justified in exaggerating things, or repeating rumours and gossip (sometimes embellishing that as well), as long as it 'saves' someone from what they know will be a terrible experience. The question remains, 'Why?'

On the NCL board, when people ask for a comparison, the NCL supporters will say what they like about freestyle, and some of them will say what they like about other lines, and occasionally there will be a comparison - usually pros and cons from both sides. There will also be people who state clearly that they will NEVER sail NCL again (but for some reason hang out on the NCL board) and go into great detail about why NCL is the worst cruisline in existence. When someone on another board asks for a comparison, (and this is according to the OP and some others, since I've never been to another board - unlike some NCL haters, I see no reason to visit boards for lines I'm not currently sailing or never intend to sail) they are told why whatever board's line is great, and NCL is attacked. From what I understand, there is no 'this is what I liked and didn't like about NCL', or 'I didn't like it but you might', just the hate. The OP was curious about why NCL and freestyle brings out such a negative reaction. I have to say, I am too. I don't think there is a definitive answer, though. I think some people are just 'like that'.

Hence, the rose colored glasses. They see only what they wish to see. This is called fantasy.

Those who want reality don't need to wear them.

They won't even see this post unless they take their glasses off.

There are two types of Cheerleaders.

1. Those who cheer for something

2. Those who cheer for the other side. (In this case Anti NCL Cheerleaders)

The Anti NCL Cheerleaders like to label those who have positive things to say as Cheerleaders never see themselves as cheerleaders, just defenders of truth, justice, and the American way.

You can see these same Anti NCL Cheerleaders show up on any thread where they have a chance to bash NCL. I’ll say again, it takes three things to make a good cruise.

1. Ship

2. Crew

3. Passenger(s)

Any of the three can turn a good cruise into a bad. People who hold grudges are people who can turn that good cruise bad. Number three, the passenger, has probably turned more good cruises bad than the first two combined.

You also need to look at the history of those who bash NCL on the other boards. The biggest bashers are those who have never sailed on NCL. Much of that comes from fear of the unknown. The second biggest comes from those who sailed years ago when NCL first went to freestyle with ships not designed for freestyle. Last, you have those who have sailed NCL recently and some do have legitimate complaints.

So look at the source of those who does not like NCL

Are they people who hold grudges?

Have they ever been on an NCL ship?

Have they been on an NCL ship recently?

Are they chronic complainers? (People who complain about everything on any board they are on)

Before they even got on their first NCL ship, were they already saying that since it is freestyle, it can’t be as good as what they have done? (Talked themselves into a bad experience)

There are people who have legitimate complaints. Sometimes things do go wrong and it is not the passengers fault. You see this on every board. You also see some of the five types listed here on the other boards but not near as much as you do on NCL. Why? Primarily because NCL is not traditional.

So, Rah, Rah, Rah, I’m an NCL Cheerleader.

Wait a minute. I’ve also enjoyed and defended Traditional

So, Rah, Rah, Rah, I’m a Traditional Cheerleader too.

I’ve also seen those who love NCL totally bash anything traditional too. Unfortunately, it’s sometimes a two way street that I’ve never understood. If you don’t like something, move on. My feeling is, when you bash, it tells much more about you than what you are bashing. Every cruise line out there is good. They all have a loyal following. Some are not for me so I won’t be sailing on them. It doesn’t make them bad, just not right for me. Bashers can’t seem to see that. If it’s not right for them, they believe no one should be able to enjoy them nor sail on them. They seem to need revenge.

2 cruises under our belt..not many I know..but one thing I know is I can't enjoy my food when I am not hungry AND I really enjoy sitting with my husband and only my husband at dinner so we can talk. Carnival Celebration was our first cruise and it was OK for an older ship. Mariner of the Seas was second and it was a beautiful ship. I had requested a table for 2 almost 2 years in advance and was assigned to a table for 14. I got it changed and enjoyed it. We are going to try Norwegian next because of freestyle. I think we will enjoy it. And Please!..I know many of you enjoy making new friends on vacation..to each his own. Lablvr

2 cruises under our belt..not many I know..but one thing I know is I can't enjoy my food when I am not hungry AND I really enjoy sitting with my husband and only my husband at dinner so we can talk. Carnival Celebration was our first cruise and it was OK for an older ship. Mariner of the Seas was second and it was a beautiful ship. I had requested a table for 2 almost 2 years in advance and was assigned to a table for 14. I got it changed and enjoyed it. We are going to try Norwegian next because of freestyle. I think we will enjoy it. And Please!..I know many of you enjoy making new friends on vacation..to each his own. Lablvr

I hope you do enjoy it. I believe you will. But, if you don’t keep trying to find the right one.

You seem to enjoy cruising and are just trying to fine tune it to suit you. It’s too bad others don’t have that same attitude and move on to find what suits them best.

Don't assume you will not meet new friends.:eek: Unless of course you don't want to.

PE

Hence, the rose colored glasses. They see only what they wish to see. This is called fantasy.

Naw, I just think we're smart enough to have figured out that no system is perfect but we find we enjoy ourselves a whole lot more when we work with and within the system rather than trying to fight it and complain about it. I know that's the philosophy I use on cruises, including those on traditional lines.

I wonder why so many of us (when cruising NCL) have been able to get reservations and not stand in those dreaded lines (and the bashers haven't). Maybe we know how to work it and the bashers haven't figured it out yet. BTW-It was the bashers who first said several of us (especially Cathi & myself) wear rose colored glasses, we just ran with the idea that "hey, if that's why we seem to be able enjoy our cruises more than they do, so be it!" It's not fantasy at all! A little sunshine is better than a whole lot of rain to us.

We still see when something can be changed or improved and where appropriate will voice our concerns, but we don't (how shall I say): "sweat the small stuff"

We are going to try Norwegian next because of freestyle. I think we will enjoy it. And Please!..I know many of you enjoy making new friends on vacation..to each his own. Lablvr

One of the great myths perpetuated by the freestyle-haters is that with freestyle you won't "make any new friends.":rolleyes: This is baloney.

One key difference between freestyle and traditional dining is that YOU can choose with whom you'd like to dine. You aren't assigned dinner partners for the duration of your cruise. With freestyle you can meet others by choosing to sit at larger tables at any of your meals. You can meet others on shore excursions. Or over breakfast at the hotel if you stay overnight before embarking. Or in the casino. Or at the pool. Or at an enrichment event on the ship. Or at a lounge. Then, when you meet people whose company you really enjoy, you can join them for dinner--any night or every night...as YOU choose. So you have every opportunity--if YOU wish--to make new friends...and friends of YOUR choosing, not the cruise lines.

And don't you just love it when someone is overwhelmed by finding a glass of iced tea by their place setting?:rolleyes: Give me a break.

We still see when something can be changed or improved and where appropriate will voice our concerns, but we don't (how shall I say): "sweat the small stuff"

And we don't spend the rest of our lives going on-line to rant about it wasting our time and the time of everyone who has to read these incessant whines. Pretty funny that people would go on-line and admit to the world that they are incapable of making something as simple and straightforward as freestyle dining work.

Pete, I’ve always respected your posts. I don’t always agree with you but I respect what you say because you’ve always said what you believe. I always know that your posts will say what you honestly feel. I’ve also seen you blasted on here when I felt you didn’t deserve it.

But not everyone who is positive is wearing rose colored glasses. People look at things in different ways. Lets take two cases to see if I can explain what I mean.

Case one is from RCI. This poster says he will not sail RCI again. Here are his points as to why.:

1. He didn’t get the table he felt as a Platinum member he deserved.

2. Poor service at first table only (Perhaps because he didn’t like the table?)

3. SIL got a dirty spoon (Again at the first table)

4. Got moved to better table (Perhaps too late as now food is not good)

5. Daughter and SIL got into an elevator and were appalled that some crew with a large trash barrel was in it.

6. Towel service at pool. Said it was a revenue generator now that RCI gets a deposit for towels. (A response from RCI because people were “losing” the towels. Much like a soda card is so high because people were sharing them from day 1. People abuse, cruise lines respond)

Case two is Sailor Jack who turned a bad cruise into an adventure where others turned it into a disaster.

I’m not saying things don’t go wrong and the cruise line is not ever at fault. It happens. But the passenger is the biggest part of the equation of ship-crew-passenger on whether a cruise is good or bad. How do they handle it when the ship or crew causes a problem? Do they just wait for a place to complain or do they try to fix the problem when it happens? Do they let little thing annoy them and go around with a chip on their shoulder or do they try to fix the problem and move on?

People should report any problems they had, and yes, here on CC. But I would hope they would also report what they did to try to get it corrected. How NCL, or any line, responds to a problem is much more important than the problem itself. Problems are going to happen. It can’t be helped. Nothing will ever be perfect. It’s how the passenger responds that matters. Some will see it through rose colored glasses, some will work to fix the problem, and some will just complain. And some of us on here will also fall into those three categories. I just hope most, reporter and responder, will try to fit into the middle.

Am I being called a "NCL Cheerleader" again? Trust me nothing could be farther from the truth. I believe Colin even has a picture of me hanging on the dart board in his office.........

Hey everybody....I've been called an NCL Cheerleader.....what do you think?

Pete, I’ve always respected your posts. I don’t always agree with you but I respect what you say because you’ve always said what you believe. I always know that your posts will say what you honestly feel. I’ve also seen you blasted on here when I felt you didn’t deserve it.

But not everyone who is positive is wearing rose colored glasses. People look at things in different ways.

Thanks RnE.

And I agree with you too!

I just like to say everyone is entitled to an opinion. We can all learn from some.

Some have an agenda.

But in the end, aren't we all just people that have a vacation passion?

I'm just concerned that, like in the book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, if everyone is wearing emerald glasses, no one will be able to pick out the Wicked Witch.

Archived