Ensenada

murphy1234

I didnt think Rosarita was that close to Ensenada? well thnx to beave8920, Id not heard of that, very interesting,,,overall Ensew=nada is just ok I guess,...see alittle if there's time, grab a beer , go back to ship...!

Rosarita is not that far away at all....Maybe a 40 minute drive. And then we stopped at a hotel for lunch on the way back.... I really enjoyed that but hated Ensenada....

And the buses via ship excursion were new and in excellent condition...

Even if you do, I don't believe there are any ship sponsored excusions there. It is only a service stop and actually, it's just another day at sea....

I am sure this is a joke or something...you cant be serious...while Ensenada is by no means the tropical paradise that some of its southern mexico ports are there are things to do and see...we just walked around town last time we were there...shore excursions arent our fav thing but there are activities there

Even if you do, I don't believe there are any ship sponsored excusions there. It is only a service stop and actually, it's just another day at sea....

I am sure this is a joke or something...you cant be serious...while Ensenada is by no means the tropical paradise that some of its southern mexico ports are there are things to do and see...we just walked around town last time we were there...shore excursions arent our fav thing but there are activities there

I find this thread very interesting. We have been to Ensenada many times and always via a cruise ship. Taking the advice of friends, the first couple of times we just shopped at the new port stores that are just a few feet from the ship's ramp at the pier. Then once we took a wine tasting tour; that was very interesting and we enjoyed it. Last visit (December 17, 2007) we took the tour to La Bufadora. We enjoyed it. We had an excellent English speaking young man as our guide, and he did a great job of enlightening us on the area as we made the 45 minute drive to La Bufadora. There we parked in a big parking lot and walked down to the blow hole. It was wonderful. Luckily the tides were right so there was lots of water pressure and the hole "blew" high into the air. We found this excursion to be well worth the $25 per person Princess charged. The vendors you must pass to get down to the attraction are definitely aggressive, but a simple nod of your head or just a firm "No, Gracias" was all that was needed. The bus looked to be in good shape and was comfortable - much more so than the ones we had been on previously when being transferred to San Diego after arrival from a one-way trip from Hawaii. Try it, you might like it!

Ditto for us to Beave8920's comments. However, I must say that we really did get a lot of interesting photos just observing everything and everyone. We came upon a fish market near the docks with a wide variety of fish, we found many interesting storefronts, and one storefront with s**t for sale! It is part of our grand finale in the photo show:D I don't ever care to see it again. DH hated it. They really push a tour to a flea market and the blow hole if you take the bus to the downtown, but we did not go.

The shops at the pier included a pharmacy (pharma drug sales are big business in Mexico), liquor, sunglasses, typical souveniers like sombreros, wind chimes, blankets...if you need to just get off the ship, you could wander in there for 10 minutes.

I noticed that people were to a great extent back on the ship after only a couple of hours (our stop was from 1 to 8), unless they took the ship's excursion.

If you have a choice of relaxing on the ship or going ashore, relaxing is worth your time.

Just off the Diamond and we did stop from 1-8 in Ensenada. Don't waste your money on the cruise tour. The town is about 5 blocks long and we walked down one side and came back on the other side. Lots of junky stores and kids begging on every corner. They make it difficult for you to pass. Dirty streets and really not much to see. If you don't get off the ship, you won't miss anything, imho.

When it was announced on our Hawaiian cruise that because our last Hawaiian port had to be cancelled due to high waves, we were going to sail off for Ensenada and get a whole day there...you could have heard the collective moan from the passengers all the way to San Pedro. We've been there too many times just as probably most Angelenos who cruise a lot. We got off the ship just long enough to hit that marketplace so hubby can buy a trinket for his mother (he also decided to buy some earrings for me when I wasn't looking...I only worn them once as they irritated my lobes) and then we returned to the ship and the pool area.

When it was announced on our Hawaiian cruise that because our last Hawaiian port had to be cancelled due to high waves' date=' we were going to sail off for Ensenada and get a [i']whole[/i] day there...you could have heard the collective moan from the passengers all the way to San Pedro.

Same thing happened to us. Same cruise? Ensenada wasn't our favorite stop but we did go to the blow hole which unfortunately was "out of order" due to a low tide. But we, too, had a wonderful guide named Enrico who made the trip enjoyable.

I've never been there on a cruise, but in September I did the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride, ending up in Ensenada for a few hours. The city was full of bicyclists so I felt pretty safe walking around; my sister and I ate at a place one block up from the waterfront called Meson de Don Fernando. We ate outside in their sidewalk cafe area and had (several) great margaritas, guacamole and fish tacos, all for about $20. My sister lives in San Diego and had been there before; she said anything around the hotel "El Rey Sol" is pretty safe. There were some nice shops in that block, and several restaurants that looked decent. The ride ended at the huge Mexican flag and we didn't venture anywhere but up a block to eat, so I didn't see much of the area. Didn't look like there was much to see beyond that. But the food was great! Of course, after a 50 mile ride, we were pretty hungry... but it really was great. ;)

If you want to do an excursion, look to see if your ship offers a winery tour. An enjoyable trip and much better than Ensenda itself.

I did the winery tour earlier this month from an RCL ship and it's worth doing. I'll be going back to Ensenada in May on the dawn Princess and plan to do the winery again since DH didn't get to go.

The winery tour is worth doing once - the wines are nothing special, but they are perfectly drinkable, and the ride out is interesting - our guide gave us a good narrative history of the town. The ride back is fun, as most people are fairly giddy.

Downtown Ensenada isn't pretty, but there's enough to do there to kill a few hours. We get great massages - there are several day spas that charge a third of what the ship will rip you off for in the Lotus Spa and give you a boffo treatment. Our favorite spot is on Ave. Lopez Mateo, which is the main drag in town - I believe the number is 745, and it's a half flight down from the street, with a green banner proclaiming spa services (I never read it anymore, so I can't remember what it says, LOL). We then have lunch at El Pueblo restaurant around the corner.

I've never been there on a cruise, but in September I did the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride, ending up in Ensenada for a few hours. The city was full of bicyclists so I felt pretty safe walking around; my sister and I ate at a place one block up from the waterfront called Meson de Don Fernando. We ate outside in their sidewalk cafe area and had (several) great margaritas, guacamole and fish tacos, all for about $20. My sister lives in San Diego and had been there before; she said anything around the hotel "El Rey Sol" is pretty safe. There were some nice shops in that block, and several restaurants that looked decent. The ride ended at the huge Mexican flag and we didn't venture anywhere but up a block to eat, so I didn't see much of the area. Didn't look like there was much to see beyond that. But the food was great! Of course, after a 50 mile ride, we were pretty hungry... but it really was great. ;)

Someone I used to work for would go on the bike ride every year. One time, he and his group were robbed. This was in the 90s.

I'm really not understanding these posts about Ensenada. I live in San Diego and visit it often. I've had 3 sport fishing boats over the past 10 years which I kept at the Coral Marina about 4 miles north of the city center. This is NOT a dirty town - I've always found it to be very clean and safe. And I must say I don't recall seeing the droves of beggar children roaming the streets as some people have said. My wife and I have walked the streets at night many times and have never had a problem - and the restaurants are very clean with great food. I have been to the Bufadora two times, and yes - there are a lot of vendors there - but still worth a visit. The wine tour (Guadalupe Valley) is also a great trip. Anyway - just my 2 cents worth - I like the place.:)

I would guess they bus you to San Diego. It's about 85 miles away from the San Diego airport, so it could be a couple hours + border crossing time. (Depending on the day and time, could be 30 minutes or a lot more - probably charter buses get priority, but I have crossed by car on a busy day and waited 2 hours.)

There's an airport in Tijuana too, but I haven't read about cruise passengers flying out of TJ. I just checked Travelocity and the sample flights for Tijuana to Calgary took 14 hours; in comparison San Diego to Calgary: 5 hours +/-.

I was in Ensenada in November with Carnival Paradise. I am going again in 3 weeks time with Royal Caribbean. If you have never been before then it is worth the time just to experience the culture. I was on my own and I walked in to town. It is perfectly safe. There are a couple of fun bars along the main strip mostly for under 50 crowd I would think. I stopped at one of the restaurants (i cannot remember the name) and had some superb nachos. The stores along the main drag did not appear to be interested in bargaining. I have not tried any excursions. If you don't want to walk then there are lots of shuttles. They charge 2 dollars to go then 1 dollar to come back.

Regarding the children begging and selling stuff. It is strongly recommended that you do not give them anything. The kids get nothing of that money. There are extremely strong links to organized crime through those kids. Yes amazingly enough that is a true statement.

Furthermore the ship you are on may or may not even stop there. My parents were on the Diamond Princess coming back from Hawaii. The captain told them that he had received many requests to make a longer stop there. They docked at 12:30 and departed at 7:00pm. So I guess it is up to the captain.

By the way. If you do go downtown try an ice cream on the main strip. By far the best ice cream I ever tasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all of your insight. We will be there in April. Has anyone done the La Bufadora Sea Kayaks? Would there be time for that and a massage in town? I'm also looking forward to an authentic taco. Our last cruise we didn't find any:confused: .

Thanks everyone for all of your insight. We will be there in April. Has anyone done the La Bufadora Sea Kayaks? Would there be time for that and a massage in town? I'm also looking forward to an authentic taco. Our last cruise we didn't find any:confused: .

I really can't answer your question on the Kayaks. I suppose it really depends on what time you get into port. As for the taco, there were a string of restaurants near the fish market, but I could not tell you anything about the menus. Also, on the main drag, about a block or two below the McDonald's on the same side of the street was a food vendor. When we passed, there was a long line waiting for food. It really looked like THE place to eat.

It sounds like you plan on really enjoying the port, and I hope you have a great time.

Andrea

• 3 weeks later...

fantastic !! We were considering rebooking ti a different local but after reading your description this is exactly what we want to see. A good experience for our family with a 15 and 10 year old. Real is what we need. They get enough fancy / pretty / shopping malls / nice neat tidy everything handed to them. I think This will be a good stop!!!

fantastic !! We were considering rebooking ti a different local but after reading your description this is exactly what we want to see. A good experience for our family with a 15 and 10 year old. Real is what we need. They get enough fancy / pretty / shopping malls / nice neat tidy everything handed to them. I think This will be a good stop!!!

When our two girls were about 14 and 17, we took a winter break vacation to Nassau. I think that "real" experience did them a world of good. We live in a major city and we see all kinds of things, but Nassau was really different for them. They had wide open eyes:eek: about many aspects of the trip, including how customs rummaged through luggage. When it came time for "senior week", they couldn't be bothered with the trips to Mexico etc.

Keeping it real is a good thing.

I am looking into going on the Carnival Elation in March of 09 with our 7 kids. The horse backing riding excursion that Carnival offers will not allow children under 8. I was wondering if any of you know if there is a private horse backing riding excursion that I can book, that will allow our 5 year old to go?

Archived