Ensenada

murphy1234

On our way home from hawaii we stop in ensenada from 1 to 8. Is it a good idea to take the excursion into town for some shopping or not. We have never been there. Any help would be appreciated

countdown.pl?name=Murphy1234&date=3-2-2008&image=Beach-9&text=Looking forward to our cruise&ship=Diamond Princess

While some of the cruises may stop there from 1 to 8p.m. we did not. We were on the Nov. 3 cruise and at first our schedule showed from 1 to 8. Then during the cruise it was again changed to 4p.m. to 8p.m. About 2 days before we got to Ensenada we were told it was going to be a quick 1/2 hr stop as there were two ships already docked there so we literally floated while custom agents came on board by boat, did their business and then left.

So maybe you will get to Ensenada, maybe you will not. As I understand there are shops at the pier. I have been to Ensenada but a long time ago and not much to see or do.

Marilyn

:cool: I've been to Ensenada many times and would not care if I ever went back (IMHO), but I guess it's worth a quick trip into town if you've never been there....just take lots of change for the kids who will bug you for money! Lots of "Mexico" type street vendors and lots of bargains to be had if you're in the bargaining mood. I love Mexico but have never felt that comfortable in Ensenada....and I would recommend you stay in a group of people as you walk thru town. "La Bufadora" might be a good daytrip, but other than that, I wouldn't have anything else to recommend.

Ditto for us to Beave8920's comments. However, I must say that we really did get a lot of interesting photos just observing everything and everyone. We came upon a fish market near the docks with a wide variety of fish, we found many interesting storefronts, and one storefront with s**t for sale! It is part of our grand finale in the photo show:D I don't ever care to see it again. DH hated it. They really push a tour to a flea market and the blow hole if you take the bus to the downtown, but we did not go.

The shops at the pier included a pharmacy (pharma drug sales are big business in Mexico), liquor, sunglasses, typical souveniers like sombreros, wind chimes, blankets...if you need to just get off the ship, you could wander in there for 10 minutes.

I noticed that people were to a great extent back on the ship after only a couple of hours (our stop was from 1 to 8), unless they took the ship's excursion.

If you have a choice of relaxing on the ship or going ashore, relaxing is worth your time.

:cool: I've been to Ensenada many times and would not care if I ever went back (IMHO), but I guess it's worth a quick trip into town if you've never been there....just take lots of change for the kids who will bug you for money! Lots of "Mexico" type street vendors and lots of bargains to be had if you're in the bargaining mood. I love Mexico but have never felt that comfortable in Ensenada....and I would recommend you stay in a group of people as you walk thru town. "La Bufadora" might be a good daytrip, but other than that, I wouldn't have anything else to recommend.

Do NOT take lots of money for the kids that are begging, please don't. Don't give them even a penny. These kids are put on the streets to beg by their parents/family. As long as tourists are giving them money the parents will not send them to school. Ask the vendors that work in the store, ask any Mexican crew member and they will all tell you that they do not want to to pay money to the beggars - especially the children.

If you do want to get off the ship just to go shopping, don't bother with a cruiseline excursion. There are shuttles that run from the pier to the downtown - but it isn't that far and can be walked easily.

If you want to do an excursion, look to see if your ship offers a winery tour. An enjoyable trip and much better than Ensenda itself.

First let me say, I love, love, love Mexico. For a kick, we took the four day Ensenada cruise on Carnival. I hadn't been to Ensenada in years. The shore excursion was $45 through Carnival to go to La Bufadora. Well, I wasn't that interested in that for $45. So we took the $3 (r/t) shuttle bus to town. On the shuttle, the guide, told us about the new deals they are offering. Where they drop you, you can get a $20 ticket to La Bufadora. But then they give you a $5 discount on that ticket, give you $1 back for your r/t shuttle ticket, and will drop you back at the ship when you are done. So it cost us 2+ 15 for the whole thing.

At La Bufadora, you don't get the begging kids, better shops, better "safe" restaurants, cleaner bathrooms and more fun. We went out and back in under 3 hours just because we wanted to get back to the ship to rest and dress for dinner.

I loved it so much that I am thinking of driving to Ensenada for a weekend. I didn't go downtown to shop because that is a little too much like Tijuana to me, but loved the area out at La Bufadora. Now did I say that too many times.

Janice

Do NOT take lots of money for the kids that are begging, please don't. Don't give them even a penny. These kids are put on the streets to beg by their parents/family. As long as tourists are giving them money the parents will not send them to school. Ask the vendors that work in the store, ask any Mexican crew member and they will all tell you that they do not want to to pay money to the beggars - especially the children.

:) Maybe this came across wrong as I totally agree with you! Just wanted to point out that you need to be prepared as you will constantly be approached by these kids trying to make you feel like a 'rich american'..... My wife and her maternal feelings always feels bad for them but we politely decline and just walk by....it's a shame that these parents exploit these kids.....just one of the many things I dislike about this port....

Just off the Diamond and we did stop from 1-8 in Ensenada. Don't waste your money on the cruise tour. The town is about 5 blocks long and we walked down one side and came back on the other side. Lots of junky stores and kids begging on every corner. They make it difficult for you to pass. Dirty streets and really not much to see. If you don't get off the ship, you won't miss anything, imho.

Ok, Ensenada is not for everyone. If clean, tidy, neat and sanitized spiffy shopping mall in the U.S. is your ideal of seeing the world, Ensenada is not for you. Ensenada is a fishing /shipping port 60 miles south of the US border and looks it. We love the place. It’s real! Real people, living real lives in the real world of Mexico.

Sure there might be the kids selling Chiclets (few and far between in my experience) and the merchants trying to steer you into their stores but that is all part of the adventure and yes, charm. I/We find the people very friendly and glad to see the (“Americano’s”)

The seafood is GREAT! There is a fish Taco stand on the street across from the McDonalds that has WONDERFUL fish, shrimp and beef tacos. (The stand is on the street, mostly painted white, with a bit of red trim)

I adore Casa Ramirez for shopping (498-3 Calle Lopez Mateos, which is one of the main shopping streets for the tourists in the old town), some very nice things to be had (be sure to go upstairs) There is also a nice shop next door that has some nice artisan stuff as well, (Its also a coffee bar)

Could one find trouble in Ensenada, yep, but more so then in ANY med to large U.S. city? NO!

Again, there are people who do find Ensenada Yucky, and they really limit how much of the world they will like because most of the world is a lot like Ensenada, including many of the more interesting parts of the big citys in the U.S.

PS, I have been to Ensenada 3 times this year via cruise ship, the last time just a week ago, so I do know what I speak of with current knowledge.

.."La Bufadora" ???

The shore excursions info could probably better describe it, but it's a large natural "hole", or "blowhole in spanish" along the coast line that "erupts" as the pressure of the ocean passes thru it (I think I described it accurately!)....Kinda neat really. It's a mexican tourist spot outside Ensenada....gotta take a bus ride there which can be an adventure in itself, but worth the trip.....

Personally, I would prefer to never go back there again.... It's a hole in the wall type spot. It has stores but it's typical Mexico/Mexican type sale stuff. The kids are always begging for money. I just didn't really care for it.

Now, having said that, I had one of the best excursions there. And if I was on a ship that did stop there, there's only a couple of excursions there worth getting off the ship for. The Fox Studios tour in Rosarita was awesome. You have to do the ship excursion. This studio was built to film the Titanic but has since become known as the studio for anything filmed involving water. It was very good. Or the Blowhole tour. I've heard that's amazing. Otherwise, stay on the ship if you go there. Even the liquor prices weren't worth getting off to try to buy liquor.....

. Even the liquor prices weren't worth getting off to try to buy liquor.....

Actually, it’s not the prices as much as brands you can get there that you cannot get in the U.S. I collect tequila and in Mexico, there are brands available that are not available, imported into the US. Ensenada is a great place to find them.

Regarding prices, go to the local large Ensenada grocery stores.... (Gigantica <sp>) seriously.

Ensenada is not for everyone! Heck there are people who will go to the coast of Maine or Oregon, or go to New Orleans and eat at a Red Lobster.

I didnt think Rosarita was that close to Ensenada? well thnx to beave8920, Id not heard of that, very interesting,,,overall Ensew=nada is just ok I guess,...see alittle if there's time, grab a beer , go back to ship...!

Rosarita is less than an hour away. Tijuana is only 1 1/2 hours from Ensenada.

I didn't check liquor prices so I don't know if they are any higher than Tijuana, but drug prices were the same.

Janice - Mexico/Tijuana/Ensenada are not for everyone, but for those who love the culture, great cheap margaritas and beautiful silver jewelry

Just off the Diamond and we did stop from 1-8 in Ensenada. Don't waste your money on the cruise tour. The town is about 5 blocks long and we walked down one side and came back on the other side. Lots of junky stores and kids begging on every corner. They make it difficult for you to pass. Dirty streets and really not much to see. If you don't get off the ship, you won't miss anything, imho.
Since it's the last day of this particular cruise, I put the time in Ensenada to good use. I pack.

I've been to Ensenada twice. The first time I didn't have anything planned, and I hated it. The second time we booked the wine country tour (I think this was on a Princess cruise), and I LOVED it. This is another example of "love the excursion, love the port; hate the excursion, hate the port". It's also why I thought St. Vincent was heaven on earth after my first visit (great private excursion), and pretty nasty on my second (when we were some of the first off the ship and witnessed the blood and chalkmarks from the prior night's stabbing in a small alley right off the main street).

Actually, it’s not the prices as much as brands you can get there that you cannot get in the U.S. I collect tequila and in Mexico, there are brands available that are not available, imported into the US. Ensenada is a great place to find them.

Regarding prices, go to the local large Ensenada grocery stores.... (Gigantica <sp>) seriously.

Ensenada is not for everyone! Heck there are people who will go to the coast of Maine or Oregon, or go to New Orleans and eat at a Red Lobster.

I agree! Anytime we have a cruise that stops in Ensenada we always hit up Gigante grocery store and get our tequila for half the price then what we pay for it in Calif. And they don't carry our brands on the ship.

Be warned - - the buses that take you to the blowhole are quite "worn," and they break down ALOT. This makes you late, and you may miss your ship!!

If 2005 was the last time you took this trip, I think that things have changed considerably. They have a new Minister of Tourism in Mexico and he is really working on getting the cruise dollars. The buses that I saw and took (not associated with the cruiselines) were relatively new, beautiful, appeared to be safe and I was not concerned in the least. I can't imagine one of them breaking down.

I just got back from Ensenada one week ago.

Janice

Archived